PDA

View Full Version : New article from Manu

ElNono
02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
I have to find my place and regain confidence

Everything hurts except the injured hand. I don't have sensibility in that area, so what's next for me is just to get back in shape. I took these 40 days without playing with much more tranquility than previous injuries, even though it's logical to be upset after losing so much time. After the lockout I didn't manage to get in perfect physical shape and this set me back again, so I have to be patient and start again.

The only thing I noticed and I realized at the time, on the court, was that I had some doubts when going for a steal. I'm still thinking a bit when going for a reach. The two times I did, I went with both hands, to protect myself. It's something natural and that I need to correct. When you have an injury on the ankle, it's the same thing. You don't jump to go for a rebound with the same intensity to protect it. It's a matter of letting go and getting used to do the things you did before the injury.

Physically, I'm far from the rest of the guys. I have to go step by step, there's no other way to do this. I just can't come back playing full minutes right now. I have to find my place, regain confidence, increase the minutes slowly and don't change a thing from the team. Because even though there was some irregularity at the beginning, now they've come together into a solid unit and responded well in the last few games. We've won some games that we could've very easily lost.

Tony Parker is playing superb. There's some games where he can rest, but there's other ones where we really need him a lot. Pop told him he had to be more aggressive looking for his shot, because we didn't have a lot of variety. Pop insisted on that, and Tony is doing a great job. That causes him to accumulate a lot of minutes, but I guess over time we're going to be tweaking the rotations and going back to the usual system. We've always been a team that's characterized by distributing the minutes across the entire roster and we'll continue doing that.

Among the guys that we've been adding to the team, the guy that stood out for me has been Danny Green. Last season he didn't get a lot of opportunities. He got his contract renewed and since I went down with the injury, he has been defending really well and two or three games with 20 points. And he does that in a mature way, like he's been with the team for years. He doesn't try to be an energy guy that comes in and changes everything. He comes in and adjusts to the moment. Other notables playing well are Gary Neal and Tiago, who is very reliable, helps in a lot of areas and allows Tim to get good rest.

It's clear that in this weird and rigorous season there's three teams that are just handling it better than most. One that surprised me is Chicago, because they played quite a few games without their leader and MVP, Derrick Rose, and you couldn't tell. They keep winning, improving and they're solid. The other two are Miami and Oklahoma.

You see Westbrook and Durant play, and you can tell that the compacted season doesn't bother them. Same thing with Wade and Lebron, they make the difference with athleticism. They're physically superior and that gives them more than enough to handle a season like this one with so many games in a row.

We play against Detroit today, the fourth out of nine games during the Rodeo Road Trip. We'll be 11 days on the road, we come back for a day, and we'll head back out for another week. Among the strange things this season has there's some positive things to talk about. For example, I was four days in a row in New York and that allowed me to do some social things I was not used to, that I couldn't in ten years I've been here playing in the US. With Tiago we went to the Rockefeller Center and went up to the observation deck. There was enough time to go out on a walk, visit museums and I could even go watch a play. It's not common in the NBA that you could get that much time to tour around. On top of that, I came back to play and we won. I enjoyed it a lot. Let's hope it continues.

MANU

Proxy
02-14-2012, 02:16 PM
CHI, MIA, OKC, SAS... conference finals.

TJastal
02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the translation (?) ElNono?

I hope Pop starts Manu off slowly from the bench and uses that opportunity to see how Ginobili meshes with the bench players. If all goes well might as well just keep him there with how well Parker is playing.

romain.star
02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
great read

Manu will be just fine within a few games. I expect him to be our MVP coming PO time.

thanx for posting it the nono

cheguevara
02-14-2012, 02:28 PM
:lol "overtime I'll be back to taking the last shots of the game"

jjktkk
02-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks for posting.

TJastal
02-14-2012, 02:32 PM
great read

Manu will be just fine within a few games. I expect him to be our MVP coming PO time.

thanx for posting it the nono

Not me. With the way Parker has fundamentally changed his game I'm really expecting TP to keep stepping up (like he has been) and be the MVP to lead the team. I would prefer Manu to lead the bench guys and help spark them.

Also, this makes perfect sense from an age perspective. Parker is still near his prime, Manu is not. Plus Manu is dealing with injury rehab.

Given how Manu will take on the mantle of leadership (from TP) I think it would be a mistake for Pop to put Manu back in the starting lineup this year. Maybe next year depending on what happens.

Juggity
02-14-2012, 02:34 PM
The view from the top of the observation deck at Rockefeller Center is really pretty sweet. Glad to have Manu back, finally. Thanks for posting :tu

lefty
02-14-2012, 02:34 PM
:lol "overtime I'll be back to taking the last shots of the game"
That's something TP would be afraid to say :hat

Amuseddaysleeper
02-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Manu is a god

romain.star
02-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Not me. With the way Parker has fundamentally changed his game I'm really expecting TP to keep stepping up (like he has been) and be the MVP to lead the team. I would prefer Manu to lead the bench guys and help spark them.

Also, this makes perfect sense from an age perspective. Parker is still near his prime, Manu is not. Plus Manu is dealing with injury rehab.

Given how Manu will take on the mantle of leadership (from TP) I think it would be a mistake for Pop to put Manu back in the starting lineup this year. Maybe next year depending on what happens.

Manu coming from the bench or being a starter won't impact his overall contribution nor will it impact Parker performance.

As for his advanced age, it can't be a real factor this season since Manu should be well rested (games missed + managed minutes) and highly motivated (he knows that it's one of his last chance to contend for a ring).

ElNono
02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the translation (?) ElNono?

You're all welcome :toast

GSH
02-14-2012, 03:34 PM
[B]
The only thing I noticed and I realized at the time, on the court, was that I had some doubts when going for a steal. I'm still thinking a bit when going for a reach. The two times I did, I went with both hands, to protect myself. It's something natural and that I need to correct. When you have an injury on the ankle, it's the same thing. You don't jump to go for a rebound with the same intensity to protect it. It's a matter of letting go and getting used to do the things you did before the injury.

Among the guys that we've been adding to the team, the guy that stood out for me has been Danny Green. Last season he didn't get a lot of opportunities. He got his contract renewed and since I went down with the injury, he has been defending really well and two or three games with 20 points. And he does that in a mature way, like he's been with the team for years. He doesn't try to be an energy guy that comes in and changes everything. He comes in and adjusts to the moment. Other notables playing well are Gary Neal and Tiago, who is very reliable, helps in a lot of areas and allows Tim to get good rest.

Something I've said a dozen times here - the mental aspect of returning from an injury is a big deal. It's hard to trust a repaired ankle or knee enough to cut hard on it right at first. Even when the physical repair is complete, it's hard to avoid a mental "testing" period. I think a lot of people underestimated the affect it had on Gary Neal when he first returned after surgery. And I'm still hopeful that James Anderson is in that kind of situation, and can get back to who he was last season.

I thought that was an interesting observation about Green. It might account for some of the difference in his game recently if he's attempting to learn to be a staple, and not an "energy guy" off the bench. Whatever the reason, he looks hesitant, like someone who is thinking instead of just reacting. It would make sense if he is trying to approach the game differently, and seeing himself in this kind of role for the first time.

spursfaninla
02-14-2012, 03:37 PM

You do realize we have the 2nd most productive bench in the NBA, and our starters are lacking firepower right now, right?

In any case, there is no pressure for manu to play too many minutes with Green/Neal/Leonard/RJ at the 2/3. What Manu DOES provide is 3pt shooting when Leonard is in with the 1st unit, and a good passer for Blair.

OTOH, he helps the second unit by being the main ball handler and a great pick and roll partner for Splitter.

I think Manu will be split between bench and starter mintues TBO.

Brazil
02-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks nono great read !

Brazil
02-14-2012, 03:54 PM
We play against Detroit today

and I'll be there right behind you :toast

TJastal
02-14-2012, 03:55 PM
You do realize we have the 2nd most productive bench in the NBA, and our starters are lacking firepower right now, right?

In any case, there is no pressure for manu to play too many minutes with Green/Neal/Leonard/RJ at the 2/3. What Manu DOES provide is 3pt shooting when Leonard is in with the 1st unit, and a good passer for Blair.

OTOH, he helps the second unit by being the main ball handler and a great pick and roll partner for Splitter.

I think Manu will be split between bench and starter mintues TBO.

I realize the bench is doing good right now. But don't forget it's a condensed season, once the playoffs start teams are going to shorten their rotation and all of sudden things could get hairy.

As far as the starters lacking firepower that is why I suggested Tiago starting in place of Blair. Along with Leonard and one of Green (or Neal). If nothing else, this gives the first unit a very solid base of defense. And then the bench still comes in with the high octane offensive firepower, led by Manu.

One thing I know, Blair and RJ in the starting lineup is a recipe for playoff failure IMO.

SamoanTD
02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
good read nono

TMTTRIO
02-14-2012, 06:03 PM
With his career coming to an end wouldn't mind only using Manu in spots when we really need him or we don't have any energy out there after TJ gets back. He can do a lot of coaching the young guys.

NASpurs
02-14-2012, 06:12 PM
With his career coming to an end wouldn't mind only using Manu in spots when we really need him or we don't have any energy out there after TJ gets back.

I can't be the only one who notices that you only respond to threads about Manu and with terrible opinions.

He's, arguably, the Spurs' best player and you want him to have spots minutes because "his career is coming to an end"? :bang

CoM member but on the other side of the spectrum.