PDA

View Full Version : The Texas Longhorns really are scared of the SEC.

DesignatedT
02-14-2012, 06:24 PM
http://outkickthecoverage.com/the-texas-longhorns-really-are-scared-of-the-sec.php

THE TEXAS LONGHORNS REALLY ARE SCARED OF THE SEC
Published on: February 14, 2012 | Written by: Clay Travis

Remember when the SEC offered the Texas Longhorns the chance to join the conference, the Longhorns said no, and then Texas fans trotted out all sorts of reasons why it made no sense for the Longhorns to join the SEC?

All of those reasons have slowly withered over the past year and change. The real reason why Texas didn't join the SEC was simple -- the Longhorns were scared of SEC competition. After all, if you can't even beat Oklahoma very often, how in the world are you going to beat eight or ten Oklahomas?

Yep, the Longhorns are bullies who turn yella when real competition shows up; they're softer than a ten gallon hat filled with water.

If DeLoss Dodds had been in charge of Sam Houston's army in 1836, the slogan at the Battle of San Jacinto wouldn't have been "Remember the Alamo!", it would have been, "Viva Mexico!"

Texas fans were furious at me for calling them out last year. They ranted and raved to all sorts of illogical degrees.

Fifteen of them -- and I'm not making this up -- challenged me to fist fights.

Fifteen!

A lot more are going to want to fight me now, because with the addition of West Virginia to the Big 12 what I said a year ago is even more true -- Texas is scared of the SEC.

Let's trot through those Longhorn arguments again.

1. The Longhorn Network is going to make us so much money we don't need anyone else.

There are presently 14 subscribers to the Longhorn Network.

Hold on, I just got a new press release from ESPN...

15 subscribers.

2. We couldn't have the Longhorn Network in the SEC.

Wrong.

A version of the Longhorn Network is permitted in the SEC. Schools retain the local rights to one football game -- and many other athletic events -- to sell locally. Indeed, Florida makes $10 million a year from the Sunshine Network for its local games just in that state. Negotiated several years ago, that's just $5 million less than Texas gets for its "network."

The only difference between the Sunshine Network and the Longhorn Network?

People actually watch the Sunshine Network.

Especially since ESPN is Texas's television partner, the Longhorn Network would have been feasible in the SEC.

3. We make a lot more money in the Big 12!

False.

You'd make more money, not less in the SEC.

That's even without the coming SEC Network which is going to be widely distributed -- yes, people will actually demand it -- and will rain billions on member institutions. You can read about the coming SEC Network here.

So you took less money to stay in an inferior conference?

Brilliant strategic move.

4. SEC academics are not good enough for Texas.

Right.

So you Longhorns stayed in the Big 12 while the SEC took the other two best academic schools in the conference -- Texas A&M and Missouri, 58 and 90 in the most recent U.S. News ranking.

And you added TCU and West Virginia to replace those schools, 101 and 164 in the latest U.S. News.

I'm no genius -- after all, I didn't graduate from Texas -- but that seems like a downgrade.

Oh, and you also allowed two of the best academic schools in the old Big 12, Colorado and Nebraska, to leave last year.

There's a fancy word for saying one thing while doing the other.

What is it?

Oh yeah...hypocrisy.

The average U.S. News and World Report ranking of SEC schools is now better than that of Big 12 schools.

The SEC's 14 schools average a 95.4 ranking while the Big 12's ten average a 111.5.

The SEC has seven schools in the top 90 in the country, the Big 12 has two, Texas and Baylor at 45 and 75 respectively.

So you're worse academically now than the SEC.

5. You aren't that much better of a state school than many SEC schools.

Texas likes to hold its nose high in the air, an Ivy League pretender whose opinion of itself just doesn't square with reality. .

Harvard as a peer?

Ha.

You're over ten ranking spots behind Georgia Tech in the latest US News list.

But, but, but you're the 45th best national university in the country.

News flash, that's 28 spots behind Vanderbilt, just 13 spots above Texas A&M and Florida, close to Georgia, and not that far from Alabama and Auburn.

There's a phrase that comes to mind for your academics too.

All hat, no cattle.

6. We would have to travel too much in the SEC!

It's 1,400 miles from Austin to Morgantown, West Virginia.

Austin to Morgantown is further than Austin to any member of the SEC by nearly 300 miles.

Hell, Ames, Iowa is not much further than Columbia, South Carolina either -- the farthest trip for Texas in the SEC.

And who are you about to add that's over a 1,000 miles away?

Louisville.

Yep, you're not even playing the state of Kentucky in football, you're playing a city.

Well done.

Also, airplanes exist.

You should know that, smart kids. (Who aren't actually that smart).

7. The SEC wouldn't be a good cultural fit.

Good point.

Ames, Iowa is the cultural capital of America.

And the difference between Manhattan, Kansas and Manhattan is miniscule.

Wait.

8. Our Big 12 schedule will make us a national power!

Newsflash, this is 75% of your schedule every year:

Texas vs. Baylor

Texas vs. Kansas

Texas vs. Kansas State

Texas vs. Iowa State

Texas vs. TCU

Texas vs. Texas Tech

Texas vs. West Virginia

Texas vs. Oklahoma State

Texas vs. Oklahoma

Yep, you play the state of Kansas.

Twice!

In football!

Every year!

There are literally dozens of football fans across the country who will watch both those games.

9. I WILL FIGHT YOU, CLAY TRAVIS!

DON'T YOU DARE MESS WITH TEXAS!

If y'all fight like you pick football conferences you're going to trip over your own boot spurs and knock yourself out on a feeding trough.

When you wake up you'll claim you were the Navy Seal who killed Osama bin Laden.

Fact is, nobody has to mess with Texas, y'all messed all over yourselves when you had a chance to join the SEC and instead peed your pants until your boots filled with urine.

Because when you break down all the arguments, ain't no hiding it, it's clear as day -- Texas is scared of the SEC.

Thoughts?

Blake
02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Thoughts?

do you agree with him?

The Reckoning
02-14-2012, 08:23 PM
aggy still trying to get over that load of butthurt knowing that they lost the last game theyll ever play against UT.

at home. :lol

benefactor
02-14-2012, 08:39 PM
:wakeup

DesignatedT
02-14-2012, 09:00 PM
aggy still trying to get over that load of butthurt knowing that they lost the last game theyll ever play against UT.

Doubtful.

stretch
02-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Whats funny is how it's not just A&M, but SEC fans period, who are obsessed with Texas.

Why? Because they were smart as hell to tell the SEC to fuck off?

I'm not denying that the SEC is the finest conference out there right now, but if you are the #1 moneymaking program in the country as is, can basically have your own conference to run the way you want it, and have a better chance to make NC games by being in an already automatic BCS conference with generally less competition (not as NEAR a big of disparity as SEC fans would like you to think though, the B12 is still consistently a very solid conference, generally nipping right at the SECs heels, some seasons even being superior top to bottom), why the hell would anyone turn that down?

stretch
02-14-2012, 11:29 PM
:lmao @ SEC fan thinking 8-10 of their programs annually are on par with Oklahoma as a football program

I cant believe I'm sticking up for OU in a sense, but that is one of the stupidest things I have ever read in my life :rollin

Blake
02-14-2012, 11:47 PM
This is the worst piece of journalism I've ever read! If Texas is weak and scared of the SEC then why would they even ask UT to join in the first place? Just like teams in the SEC, Texas is proud to be in the Big 12. Texas, along with OU, are loyal and understand where we come from. And when it comes to it, that is simply the only reason. Shit, we were running the table with Alabama not too long ago with a freshman backup QB; lucky Colt got hurt! Youre talking about hypocracy... your whole article is hypocritical! Youre brown nosing the SEC, homo. And as for # 9 on your list- they probably didn't want to kick your ass b/c of what you said (insignificant), but b/c you decided to say it behind a computer! I mean, look at the Horns and the Big 12 in baseball, basketball, swimming, golf, tennis, track, etc.. why the hell would we want to join the SEC!
Reply · 4 · Like· 6 hours ago

DesignatedT
02-15-2012, 12:01 AM
lol "understand where we come from" How soon people forget that Texas was the one trying to bolt for the pacific coast until A&M turned down said deal 2 years ago.

Whisky Dog
02-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Outside of LSU, Bama, some years Fla and some years Aub the SEC is generally fairly tame. It's a very top heavy conference with a lot of trash at the bottom.

jgome21
02-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Why would Texas want to leave the big 12 when they make the most money in collegiate sports? Not only do they have their own network now, but the conference pretty much revolves around UT. With that kind of influence, I wouldn't leave either.

stretch
02-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Outside of LSU, Bama, some years Fla and some years Aub the SEC is generally fairly tame. It's a very top heavy conference with a lot of trash at the bottom.

In terms of historical significance, they really only have two teams on par with consistent greatness over the decades with OU and Texas (in terms of consistently winning at a high rate and multiple NCs across multiple eras), which is Bama and Tennessee.

Either way, all I'm concerned with is seeing the Longhorns get another NC, and not any other team in the Big-12. Sorry, but you will never catch me or any Texas fan rooting for OU or Tech or someone like that in an NC game, unlike Arkansas, A&M and LSU fans rooting for Bama and Auburn. :rolleyes

leemajors
02-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Interesting article from a Vandy grad that lives in Nashville.

ColinB
02-15-2012, 04:40 PM
I don't know, the writer just comes off as bitter. I can only imagine how many Aggies tweeted this garbage.

There's really not a reason to be 'scared' of the SEC. Check the stats and you can see Texas owns the SEC. What the hell is the point to go to the SEC when the Big 12 already has a BCS bid and plenty of money coming into the school? They offer nothing for Texas. The SEC wants Texas, Texas doesn't want the SEC. Get over it.

By the way, I'm really curious to who qualifies as an "Oklahoma" in the SEC. I need to read at least eight schools.

DirkDoesWork
02-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Anyone who takes Clay Travis' word as the gospel is as much of a mongoloid as he is.

Brutalis
02-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Sports radio shows all across the south have been saying this for years now. It's not news.

Blake
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Luckily for the SEC, aggy isn't scared.

leemajors
02-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Sports radio shows all across the south have been saying this for years now. It's not news.

It's definitely not news.

Halberto
02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
obsessed

ChumpDumper
02-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Thoughts?I think you posted this article.

ChumpDumper
02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Really, what are the positive reasons for UT to leave it's current situation for anything else?

DMX7
02-17-2012, 12:56 AM
That was such a patently Aggy rant - pure butthurt delusion.

Blake
02-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Meh, just a nice troll job

Sisk
02-25-2012, 05:43 PM
That was such a patently Aggy rant - pure butthurt delusion.

He's a Vanderbilt graduate.

LoneStarState'sPride
02-27-2012, 03:25 AM
Don't really care about what texas does or doesn't do at this point, tbh.

johngateswhiteley
02-28-2012, 12:35 AM
outside of the '8-10 oklahomas comment' ..they are legitimate points. the answer, which is obvious.. is 't.u. feels they are better off not in the toughest conference', plain and simple. they do not wish for the competition of the sec and any risk of losing status and/or money.. a huge risk.

i don't blame them, but any other argument is illogical.. just don't expect t.u. fan to admit this ;)

ChumpDumper
02-28-2012, 05:28 AM
outside of the '8-10 oklahomas comment' ..they are legitimate points. the answer, which is obvious.. is 't.u. feels they are better off not in the toughest conference', plain and simple. they do not wish for the competition of the sec and any risk of losing status and/or money.. a huge risk.

i don't blame them, but any other argument is illogical.. just don't expect t.u. fan to admit this ;)No one can come up with a positive reason for UT to move to any other conference.

Harry Callahan
02-28-2012, 08:03 AM
The mentality of the guy who wrote this article is like that of a four your old child who can't get his way and goes home with his toys (even if he isn't an aggie).

Most of the aggie posters agree with him.

If A&M had not botched a couple of coaching hires the last decade the school and alumni would not have been so distraught over their situation in the football program.

Bear Bryant (a former A&M coach) wrote a book many years ago summing up the mentality of Texas A&M leadership, students and boosters. To summarize, Bryant wrote that there was a unbridled feeling that the Aggie program at time was better and more prestigous than it really was.

When Bear arrived at the school, he asked an athletic department official at the time if he tried to recruit the top 20 players in the state along with U.T., how many of the 20 would go to TAM and how many would go to Texas. The AD told him TAM would get ten of the twenty. Actual results were more like 2 or 3. Of course Bear eventually went to Alabama.

The Aggies should look in the mirror and not to the west for the source of their recent troubles.

DesignatedT
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
thats a great story harry.

stretch
02-28-2012, 11:10 AM

i don't blame them, but any other argument is illogical.. just don't expect t.u. fan to admit this ;)

I think most honest Texas fans would aknowledge that.

But it goes both ways... say Alabama or LSU or even A&M was in the same seat as Texas... no way in hell would any of those schools leave such a situation.

stretch
02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
No one can come up with a positive reason for UT to move to any other conference.

This. There are no ways in which it would benefit UT to leave their current situation. About the only one that anyone can come up with is so they can play one or two more tough games a year, while the rest of the schedule is every bit (if not more) shitty as their current schedule. So basically, the benefit is so that they can "validate" themselves in the eyes of butthurt SEC fans?

Yeah, SEC fans can go fuck themselves.

johngateswhiteley
02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
I think most honest Texas fans would aknowledge that.

But it goes both ways... say Alabama or LSU or even A&M was in the same seat as Texas... no way in hell would any of those schools leave such a situation.

agreed.