PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Trivia

Blake
02-14-2012, 09:16 PM
0-3 correct: you found this place by accident while searching for tattoo ideas for your calves

4-7 correct: you are/were a huge fan of Eva Longoria

8-12 correct: you're most likely an NBA fan that hates the Spurs and/or Bruce Bowen in particular

13-16 correct: you're a solid fairweather fan, you just never knew that Dominique played here

17-19 correct: you are the source of Spur info at the office whether your co-workers want it or not

20 correct: You may or may not have numerous retraining orders against you

4 sets of 5 questions coming up

Spursfan092120
02-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Bring it..lol

Blake
02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Question 1 Easy: Who was the first Spur to ever record a quadruple double?

1. Tim Duncan
2. David Robinson
3. Alvin Robertson
4. James Silas

Question 2 Easy: ________ ________ was a nickname given to a group of six big men who played for the San Antonio Spurs in the early 1980s: Dave Corzine, Reggie Johnson, Paul Griffin, Mark Olberding, Kevin Restani and George T. Johnson.

1. Baseline Bums
2. Bruise Brothers
3. Dawg Pound
4. Badnews Bears

Question 3 Moderate: Who led the Spurs in scoring average during the 1988-1989 season:

1. Willie Anderson
2. Frank Brickowski
3. Alvin Robertson
4. Cadillac Anderson

Question 4 Tough: Who holds the Spurs record for most assists in one game?

1. Avery Johnson
2. John Lucas
3. Johnny Moore
4. Rod Strickland

Question 5 Hardcore: (Throwback) In 1970-71, the Dallas Chaparrals decided to make it regional and be the "Texas Chaparrals". They ended up playing games in Ft. Worth and what other Texas city?

1. Lubbock
2. Abilene
3. Waco
4. Amarillo

cherylsteele
02-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Question 1 Easy: Who was the first Spur to ever record a quadruple double?

1. Tim Duncan
2. David Robinson
3. Alvin Robertson
4. James Silas

Question 2 Easy: ________ ________ was a nickname given to a group of six big men who played for the San Antonio Spurs in the early 1980s: Dave Corzine, Reggie Johnson, Paul Griffin, Mark Olberding, Kevin Restani and George T. Johnson.

1. Baseline Bums
2. Bruise Brothers
3. Dawg Pound
4. Badnews Bears

Question 3 Moderate: Who led the Spurs in scoring average during the 1988-1989 season:

1. Willie Anderson
2. Frank Brickowski
3. Alvin Robertson
4. Cadillac Anderson

Question 4 Tough: Who holds the Spurs record for most assists in one game?

1. Avery Johnson
2. John Lucas
3. Johnny Moore
4. Rod Strickland

Question 5 Hardcore: (Throwback) In 1970-71, the Dallas Chaparrals decided to make it regional and be the "Texas Chaparrals". They ended up playing games in Ft. Worth and what other Texas city?

1. Lubbock
2. Abilene
3. Waco
4. Amarillo

Question 1:
Alvin Roberston

Question 2:
Bruise Brothers

Question 3:
Willie Anderson

Question 4:
John Lucas

Question 5:
Lubbock, Tx

Latarian Milton
02-14-2012, 11:28 PM
even if u don't know SHIT bout the questions above u still have an 1-4 odd of hitting the correct answer and hence it's expected most posters here partakin in it will get 5/20 on average, i mean 5/20 will be the expected mark for most posters here then most of us will be described as eva longoria fans :lol

Blake
02-14-2012, 11:42 PM
even if u don't know SHIT bout the questions above u still have an 1-4 odd of hitting the correct answer and hence it's expected most posters here partakin in it will get 5/20 on average, i mean 5/20 will be the expected mark for most posters here then most of us will be described as eva longoria fans :lol

no prizes in a room full of googlers, tbh.

you will simply go to sleep tonight knowing that you are a fan of the longoria

Robz4000
02-14-2012, 11:58 PM
I missed the first three but got the last two right lol. Tbh I missed the second because I immediately thought of baseline bum when I saw the name listed and thought "nah, I must be wrong if there's a guy with a username who's a regular that matches an answer". Guess I'm just fairweather... :depressed

Trainwreck2100
02-15-2012, 12:00 AM
3/5 and i wasn't even alive for that shit

Blake
02-15-2012, 12:24 AM
I missed the first three but got the last two right lol. Tbh I missed the second because I immediately thought of baseline bum when I saw the name listed and thought "nah, I must be wrong if there's a guy with a username who's a regular that matches an answer". Guess I'm just fairweather... :depressed

The Baseline Bums were an outstanding group of drunk ass fans back in the Hemisfair days that would give opposing players all sorts of shit.

Nowadays, they are a simply a group of regulated old asshats that don't even sit along the baseline. There are rules to get into their "club" and none of those rules including being a bum.

timvp
02-15-2012, 01:03 AM
4/5 because all those Oklahoman cities are the same to me, tbh.

Robz4000
02-15-2012, 01:16 AM
The Baseline Bums were an outstanding group of drunk ass fans back in the Hemisfair days that would give opposing players all sorts of shit.

Nowadays, they are a simply a group of regulated old asshats that don't even sit along the baseline. There are rules to get into their "club" and none of those rules including being a bum.
Ah, was wonderin who they were. Need to go to more Spurs games tbh. I haven't been to one since the '10 playoffs.

BanditHiro
02-15-2012, 01:35 AM
wow seriously who the fuck cared about the spurs before 1993 or so.

i only got the first one right because there was a recent thread about it.

jjktkk
02-15-2012, 01:49 AM

Your just full of quality posts

BanditHiro
02-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Your just full of quality posts

i'm wasn't anything that was not going through people's head when they were asked these questions and the potential horrific label they were going to be put under because of it.

Spur|n|Austin
02-15-2012, 02:25 AM

:lol

jjktkk
02-15-2012, 02:39 AM
i'm wasn't anything that was not going through people's head when they were asked these questions and the potential horrific label they were going to be put under because of it.

:lol, now thats a great answer. :toast

baseline bum
02-15-2012, 02:40 AM
Shit, I had Johnny Moore instead of Lucas on 4.

jjktkk
02-15-2012, 02:42 AM
Shit, I had Johnny Moore instead of Lucas on 4.

fusionjazzman72
02-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Johnny Moore almost had the first quadruple as a Spur in a game against the Seattle Supersonics. In the 80's he came within 1 steal. Does anyone know what game that was?

fusionjazzman72
02-15-2012, 03:56 AM
It was against the Warriors not the Sonics

Obstructed_View
02-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Way before my time on all points. Still got 4 out of 5 though I have no idea how. I must have known the Lucas one from when he was the coach.

Blake
02-15-2012, 12:20 PM
No more letting in on easy or hard....

Question 6: What former New York playground legend known as "Swee Pea" looked as good as advertised when he scored 30 points in his first preseason game with the Spurs?

1. Eric Floyd
2. Dallas Comegys
3. Lloyd Daniels
4. Johnny Dawkins

Question 7: What former Spur had won a Heisman trophy as the best player in college football?

Question 8: What former Spur holds the San Antonio area high school scoring record as well as the University of Texas-San Antonio scoring record?

Question 9: Who holds the Spurs record for most steals in a game?

1. Alvin Robertson
2. Larry Kenon
3. Maurice Cheeks
4. Avery Johnson

Question 10: David and The Iceman both had multiple 50+ point games. The following 4 Spurs all had one 50+ point game a piece in a Spurs uniform. Rank them in order of highest career high game to lowest:

1. Terry Cummings
2. Tony Parker
3. Larry Kenon
4. Tim Duncan

Blake
02-15-2012, 12:24 PM

1993? Strange choice of arbitrary years

timvp
02-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Speaking of the answer to #6, he had a triple double in the Silver & Black game (basically an intrasquad scrimmage prior to the preseason) and looked like the best player on the court. He then had that 30 point explosion at MSG. Unfortunately, it was mostly downhill from there.

But it was a cool story while it lasted . . .

GSH
02-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Speaking of the answer to #6, he had a triple double in the Silver & Black game (basically an intrasquad scrimmage prior to the preseason) and looked like the best player on the court. He then had that 30 point explosion at MSG. Unfortunately, it was mostly downhill from there.

But it was a cool story while it lasted . . .

He also got signed to a 10-day with the Lakers. He put up 20 in the second half of his first game. Then faded away to nothingness again. Sort of a one-game wonder.

Blake
02-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Johnny Moore almost had the first quadruple as a Spur in a game against the Seattle Supersonics. In the 80's he came within 1 steal. Does anyone know what game that was?

January 8, 1985 v Golden State

So close....

BanditHiro
02-15-2012, 06:52 PM
1993? Strange choice of arbitrary years

i took a stab at Robinson's rookie year.

Blake
02-17-2012, 09:56 AM
i took a stab at Robinson's rookie year.

Why are you here

Blake
02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Question 11: The Navy decided to allow David Robinson to not have to serve a full five year active duty commitment upon graduating from the Academy. This was due in part to his [new] height of 7ft and the Navy figuring out what a huge recruiting asset he would be.

How many years of active service did David perform before finally joining the Spurs in 1989?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 1993

Question 12: Which player did David say he chose #50 because of?

A. George Mikan
B. Ralph Sampson
C. Bob McAdoo
D. Elgin Baylor
E. 1993

Question 13: Besides David, how many other players received first place votes for 1989-90 rookie of the year?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 1993

Question 14: Tim and David are 1-2 in total career rebounds in Spurs history.
Who is third?

A. George Gervin
B. Larry Kenon
C. Mike Mitchell
D. Sean Elliott
E. 1993

Question 15: Who is the Spurs all time leader in 3pt field goals made?

A. Bruce Bowen
B. Sean Elliott
C. George Gervin
D. Alvin Robertson
E. 1993

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
These are probably more curiosities than trivia, but:

1. Since the start of the 1998-99 NBA season, the Spurs have won 32 player of the week awards. Tim Duncan has won the award 20 times, Tony Parker has won it 7 times, and Manu Ginobili has won it 3 times. Two other players have each won the award once -- who are they?

2. Who was the last Spur to win the league's Rookie of the Month award?

3. Tim Duncan (453) and David Robinson (312) are first and second in franchise history in blocked shots in playoff games. Who is third?

4. How many current members of the Basketball Hall of Fame were drafted by the Spurs organization and who are they?

5. The Spurs have played every current Western Conference franchise other than the Clippers in at least one playoff series since joining the NBA.

a. against which teams (other than LAC) are the Spurs undefeated?

b. against which teams (other than LAC) are the Spurs winless?

c. the Spurs have played the Lakers (12) and the Suns (10) most frequently; other than those teams, which franchise have the Spurs faced most often in playoff series?

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2012, 11:48 AM
question 11-question 15

e
e
e
e
e

Blake
02-17-2012, 02:50 PM

1. Since the start of the 1998-99 NBA season, the Spurs have won 32 player of the week awards. Tim Duncan has won the award 20 times, Tony Parker has won it 7 times, and Manu Ginobili has won it 3 times. Two other players have each won the award once -- who are they?

2. Who was the last Spur to win the league's Rookie of the Month award?

3. Tim Duncan (453) and David Robinson (312) are first and second in franchise history in blocked shots in playoff games. Who is third?

4. How many current members of the Basketball Hall of Fame were drafted by the Spurs organization and who are they?

5. The Spurs have played every current Western Conference franchise other than the Clippers in at least one playoff series since joining the NBA.

a. against which teams (other than LAC) are the Spurs undefeated?

c. the Spurs have played the Lakers (12) and the Suns (10) most frequently; other than those teams, which franchise have the Spurs faced most often in playoff series?

1. Might be a guy like Derek Anderson or SJax, but I'll go with David and Malik

2. Tough one.....Tony?

3. Gervin?

4. hell........is Scola already in?

A. Nuggets?

B. Rockets?

C. Nuggets...jazz.......I'll say Jazz

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
1. Might be a guy like Derek Anderson or SJax, but I'll go with David and Malik

2. Tough one.....Tony?

3. Gervin?

4. hell........is Scola already in?

A. Nuggets?

B. Rockets?

C. Nuggets...jazz.......I'll say Jazz

This stuff is really pretty trivial. So you'll know:

1. incorrect (though close)

2. incorrect

3. incorrect

4. incorrect

5. a. partially correct
b. partially correct
c. incorrect (but close)

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-17-2012, 03:16 PM
1. Jefferson's had some stellar starts to the season, him and the Admiral?

2. Blair

3. Playoffs blocks? Bowen? If the stats say that's wrong they can kiss my ass. That block on Billups should count as 300 on its own.

4. I'll guess four even though I can only say Robinson for sure.

5. a. Wolves, Nuggets, Sonics, Hornets, Kings
b. Rockets, Warriors
c. Blazers?

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2012, 03:54 PM
1. Jefferson's had some stellar starts to the season, him and the Admiral?

2. Blair

3. Playoffs blocks? Bowen? If the stats say that's wrong they can kiss my ass. That block on Billups should count as 300 on its own.

4. I'll guess four even though I can only say Robinson for sure.

5. a. Wolves, Nuggets, Sonics, Hornets, Kings
b. Rockets, Warriors
c. Blazers?

1. still not right. David Robinson is not an answer to this question.

2. Incorrect.

3. Bruce is 4th. But I agree about the Billups block.

4. 4 is close. David is definitely one.

5. a. overinclusive. The Spurs lost a series to Denver in 1985. But they are 3-0 against the Sonics/Thunder franchise, 2-0 against the Wolves, and 1-0 against both the Hornets and Kings

b. Correct.

c. The Spurs have only played the Blazers three times (1990, 1993, 1999).

Blake
02-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Somehow I missed that 5ab said teams, just went with first team I thought of.

Cost me the trophy, tbh.

FromWayDowntown
02-17-2012, 06:53 PM
No idea when I can get back to this, so answers below:

1. Since the start of the 1998-99 NBA season, the Spurs have won 32 player of the week awards. Tim Duncan has won the award 20 times, Tony Parker has won it 7 times, and Manu Ginobili has won it 3 times. Two other players have each won the award once -- who are they? Derek Anderson (March 5, 2001) and Bruce Bowen (January 9, 2005)

2. Who was the last Spur to win the league's Rookie of the Month award? Beno Udrih (December 2004)

3. Tim Duncan (453) and David Robinson (312) are first and second in franchise history in blocked shots in playoff games. Who is third? Robert Horry

4. How many current members of the Basketball Hall of Fame were drafted by the Spurs organization and who are they? 5 -- Pat Riley, Tiny Archibald, Bill Walton, Robert Parish, David Robinson

a. against which teams (other than LAC) are the Spurs undefeated? As SFIE noted, Seattle (3-0), Minnesota (2-0), Sacramento and New Orleans (1-0 each)

Houston (0-3), Golden State (0-1)

c. the Spurs have played the Lakers (12) and the Suns (10) most frequently; other than those teams, which franchise have the Spurs faced most often in playoff series? Denver; the Spurs and Nuggets have met 6 times (1983, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2005, 2007) in the playoffs (the Spurs are 5-1 in those meetings); the Spurs and Mavericks have met 5 times (2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2010) and the Spurs and Jazz have met 4 times (1994, 1996, 1998, 2007)

pgardn
02-18-2012, 03:11 PM

What opposing coach did they throw Guacamole on in the Arena?

Get this right and it makes you old and nothing else.

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2012, 02:54 PM
What opposing coach did they throw Guacamole on in the Arena?

Get this right and it makes you old and nothing else.

Larry, Larry, Larry.

pgardn
02-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Larry, Larry, Larry.

Bingo.

We have an elderly winner.

Why Guacamole as the projectile of choice?

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Bingo.

We have an elderly winner.

Why Guacamole as the projectile of choice?

The only good thing about San Antonio, some say, is the guacamole.