PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen - new CD - Different Kind of Truth

cantthinkofanything
02-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Thinking this thing would suck as bad as the first single, "Tattoo", I was pleasantly suprised after listenting to the whole CD.

Much better than I expected. A lot of the CD sounding like early VH from I through Fair Warning. Really not bad at all. If you like old Van Halen, you should check it out.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Hmm. Fair Warning, huh? I'll need to check it out.

Spurminator
02-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Yeah it was surprisingly decent. Forgettable, though. Sort of like Chinese Democracy and the new Alice in Chains. You listen, you think "Cool, I'm glad they can still put together some interesting tracks," and then you never listen to it again.

Half of the new tracks are reworks of early demos anyway and you'd probably like those versions better. Torrent the "Zero" sessions.

cantthinkofanything
02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Yeah it was surprisingly decent. Forgettable, though. Sort of like Chinese Democracy and the new Alice in Chains. You listen, you think "Cool, I'm glad they can still put together some interesting tracks," and then you never listen to it again.

Half of the new tracks are reworks of early demos anyway and you'd probably like those versions better. Torrent the "Zero" sessions.

Yeah, I'll agree with that take.

But I find myself thinking that about a lot of CD's lately. I'm wondering if it's because it's so easy and cheap to listen to something new that I'm not giving any particular CD enough time. In the old days, I'd have to buy a tape or CD and be happy with that until I could afford another one. So I was giving them more time to grow on me and to apprciate them. That being said, I'm going to try to listen to it a few more times. At first listen, I thought there was some pretty cool stuff.

redzero
02-15-2012, 11:46 AM
What decade are we in?

HeadBanger
02-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Solid CD.

JudynTX
02-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Surprisingly, I have no interest in the new CD. :lol

cantthinkofanything
02-15-2012, 12:09 PM
What decade are we in?

Well what the fuck would you call it then? The Grammy's still call it an album. "CD" is better than that right?

scampers
02-15-2012, 09:10 PM
That's good. Tattoo was fucking terrible. I actually thought the video was a joke when I first saw it.

Proxy
02-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Well what the fuck would you call it then? The Grammy's still call it an album. "CD" is better than that right?

I think he's talking about Van Halen coming out with new material in 2012... could be wrong though.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Thinking this thing would suck as bad as the first single, "Tattoo", I was pleasantly suprised after listenting to the whole CD.

Much better than I expected. A lot of the CD sounding like early VH from I through Fair Warning. Really not bad at all. If you like old Van Halen, you should check it out.

From what I read, a lot of it is vault material. Convenient, since the instruments would already be tuned down to support Roth's more limited range.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-15-2012, 10:47 PM
He ever had range? :lol

Stringer_Bell
02-15-2012, 11:27 PM
I just heard it today and had similar thoughts to the OP, fans should definately be pleased. I hate Van Hager, so hearing some dirty riffs and Dave saying wierd shit all the time is welcomed. Big River is my fave even tho it's an old demo, should have kept it as "Big Trouble."

mojorizen7
02-16-2012, 03:48 AM
"Silly VH....thinking they could still create music and play their instruments...." :lol:
http://whadawethink.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/rush2.jpg

cantthinkofanything
02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
^ Silly RUSH...thinking that being outstanding musicians means making listenable music.

But seriously, I don't dislike RUSH but do you seriously believe that Eddie and Alex Van Halen are not brilliant musicians? I would say Eddie > Alex and Neil > Alex.

Jeff Leppard
02-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Van Halen fucking rocks! Fuck that Van Hagar bullshit!

lol Rush

soulless wankers

Viva Las Espuelas
02-16-2012, 11:22 AM
I would say Eddie > Alex and Neil > Alex.

Yeah. That pretty much put an end to that silly comparison. Neil looks like he's having a conniption while he's playing drums. He's definitely lost his touch as of late.

cantthinkofanything
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah. That pretty much put an end to that silly comparison. Neil looks like he's having a conniption while he's playing drums. He's definitely lost his touch as of late.

tbh, I haven't listened or payed attention to Rush in along time. And I'm probably not qualified to rate drummers anyway. That said, IMO, they are both among the top drummers in rock (or were). But from what I remember reading "back in the day" it seemed Neil was held in higher regard. So really my ">" was based on opinions of others who probably know more about it than me.

JudynTX
02-16-2012, 01:09 PM
The cheapest ticket for VH is $131.00

No thanks!

Cant_Be_Faded
02-16-2012, 03:04 PM
They were affordable here in Dallas but sold out too fast. I wanted to take the mrs cuz I figuredit would be a good date concert. Plus there's gonna be a Kool and the Gang concert later!

Viva Las Espuelas
02-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Yep. Solid album. It needed Anthony's harmonies though.

"Range" l:loll