PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbag: Coach Pop - Feb. 15, 2012

dunkman
02-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Pop responds about Splitter, championships, coaching and playing against the best NBA teams . . . (delete if already posted)

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/120215_coach_pop_mailbag

DBMethos
02-15-2012, 01:24 PM
A corollary to the Bowen retirement question should have been "whose bright idea was it to give Bowen's #12 to some no-name D-league scrub?"

GSH
02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
I love it. People have a chance to ask a professional basketball coach a question, and he has a chance to answer anything that gets asked - and four out of the twelve are:

What did you think of Montenegro when you were here?
Do you ever re-visit a college where you used to coach?
Do you speak any other languages?
What countries would you like to visit?

Now that I've read the answers to those questions, I really feel like I know Gregg Popovich better. In fact, I feel like we're really sort of personal friends, and that makes me almost-famous. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like when Cindy Lou Who kisses the Grinch.

Seriously, people? That's what you want to ask a professional basketball coach? I'm just surprised that no one asked if he ever got to see the set of Desperate Housewives.

TimmehC
02-15-2012, 02:01 PM
The answer to the question about Tiago is infuriating. "He missed training camp so I didn't bother to put him in the rotation when he came back"

timvp
02-15-2012, 02:06 PM
It's worth the read if only for the "What do you think you have room to improve as a coach?" answer. I'm surprised Pop does this sort of mailbag since he avoids the media at all costs ... especially this year.

Question for spursdotcom: Do you guys interview him and transcribe the results ... or does he actually write out his answers?

*imagines Pop pecking away at a typewriter*

DesignatedT
02-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Question for spursdotcom: Do you guys interview him and transcribe the results ... or does he actually write out his answers?

lol. Pretty sure they write their own answers because I have seen many typos in these when they released the mailbags of guys like Tony and Danny Green. Unless the intern who's typing them up is that careless.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-15-2012, 02:59 PM

I picture something Doogie Howser style with Pop in a dim-lit room :lol

therealtruth
02-15-2012, 03:58 PM
The answer to the question about Tiago is infuriating. "He missed training camp so I didn't bother to put him in the rotation when he came back"

With Bonner/Blair in the rotation the starting spot should have been Tiago's to lose from last year. If you have more talent and height you don't have to earn your spot. It's yours to lose. If the team acquired another allstar would he bench them because they missed training camp? The only thing I can think of is that he didn't think Tiago was all that good otherwise he sounds like an idiot.

SA210
02-15-2012, 04:59 PM

silverblk mystix
02-15-2012, 09:45 PM
With Bonner/Blair in the rotation. The starting spot should have been Tiago's to lose from last year. If you have more talent and height you don't have to earn your spot. It's yours to lose. If the team acquired another allstar would he bench them because they missed training camp. The only thing I can think of is that he didn't think Tiago was all that good otherwise he sounds like an idiot.

duh...he IS an idiot...

spursdotcom
02-16-2012, 12:04 AM
timvp we ask him, record and transcribe.

:toast

Brutalis
02-16-2012, 01:42 AM
I love it. People have a chance to ask a professional basketball coach a question, and he has a chance to answer anything that gets asked - and four out of the twelve are:

Now that I've read the answers to those questions, I really feel like I know Gregg Popovich better. In fact, I feel like we're really sort of personal friends, and that makes me almost-famous. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like when Cindy Lou Who kisses the Grinch.

Seriously, people? That's what you want to ask a professional basketball coach? I'm just surprised that no one asked if he ever got to see the set of Desperate Housewives.

Fucking ignorant really.

Do you eat McDonald's? What do you order?

Have you been to this place? Was it kewl?

Seriously, fucking retards asking these questions.

baseline bum
02-16-2012, 02:56 AM

Pop never says much in interviews. Asking a Spurs-related question about rotations or strategy would be a sure way to get your question thrown in the trash heap. Does someone expect him to say "Bonner's a fag but we don't have Dice anymore"?

z0sa
02-16-2012, 03:18 AM

this just proves the VAST majority of questions were calling Pop out, so much so they had to dig extremely deep to find any that didn't outright piss him off and/or were unanswerable.

therealtruth
02-16-2012, 03:53 AM
Pop never says much in interviews. Asking a Spurs-related question about rotations or strategy would be a sure way to get your question thrown in the trash heap. Does someone expect him to say "Bonner's a fag but we don't have Dice anymore"?

You have to be sneaky in how you ask the questions. For instance you ask him if he had a 7 foot player that was Spanish player of the year why wouldn't he start over Blair? I like how the guy asked Pop how he could become a better coach.

silverblk mystix
02-16-2012, 09:54 AM
you could ask;

"Coach, since Splitter is posting better numbers in fewer minutes than all of your big men...is it fair to the team to not place him in the starting lineup and play him more minutes that your lesser performing big men?"

ffadicted
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
IDK who to be more mad at, the people who pick the questions, or the people who actually think that they are something interesting and legitimate to ask.

Warlord23
02-16-2012, 11:01 AM

Follow-up question shoulda been ... "so if the Spurs landed Dwight Howard by some miraculous mid-season trade, you won't play him in the playoffs because he missed training camp, just like Splitter did last year?"

Unfortunately, this aspect of Pop hasn't changed over the years. Whether it was benching Hill when he could've helped in the playoffs, or Splitter riding the pine last year, Popovich would rather play a shitty but familar player over a promising new one.

DMC
02-16-2012, 11:05 AM
People just want to see their questions answered. They don't give a shit what the answers are. They know Pop won't answer real questions, so they ask benign ones in hopes they will make the cut.

"Why doesn't Splitter get more burn?"

Pop - because

"What Texas wine do you suggest when serving veal in March?"

Pop - that's a good question, because March is the transitional month for grapes so you want to highlight that in your selection. Texas has some fine wineries and I cannot endorse just one of them, they are all so marvelous. Whatever you choose, enjoy that veal.