PDA

View Full Version : TCU drug scandal

DesignatedT
02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7577881/tcu-horned-frogs-football-players-arrested-drug-sweep

Seventeen TCU students, including four football players, have been arrested on drug charges, the school announced during a Wednesday news conference.

The investigation continues after the sweeping drug sting, and there could be more arrests, according to TCU chancellor Victor J. Boschini Jr.

According to Fort Worth police, he football players arrested are: junior linebacker Tanner Brock, junior safety Devin Johnson, junior defensive tackle D.J. Yendrey and sophomore offensive tackle Tyler Horn.

Brock entered the 2011 season as a starter and one of the team's best defenders, but he hurt his ankle in September and missed the rest of the season.

In 2010, he led the team in tackles with 106 and was named an All-Mountain West performer.

Johnson started eight games in 2011 and had 47 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Yendrey led Horned Frogs interior lineman in tackles in 2011 and was honorable mention All-Mountain West. Horn was expected to compete for a starting spot in 2012.

I'm extremely concerned. If one kid is involved, it's one kid too many.

-- TCU chancellor Victor J. Boschini Jr.
Three of the students were arrested on campus; 14 were arrested off-campus. Boschini said the school has never experienced a mass arrest such as this.

"I'm extremely concerned," Boschini said. "If one kid is involved, it's one kid too many."

Football coach Gary Patterson and athletic director Chris Del Conte both said TCU student-athletes are expected to be ambassadors for the university -- and that drug use and criminal behavior would not be tolerated.

"There are days people want to be a head football coach, but today is not one of those days," Patterson said in a prepared statement. "As I heard the news this morning, I was first shocked, then hurt and now I'm mad. "Under my watch, drugs and drug use by TCU's student-athletes will not be tolerated by me or any member of my coaching staff. Period," Patterson said. "Our program is respected nationally for its strong ethics and for that reason the players arrested today were separated from TCU by the University.

"I believe strongly that young people's lives are more important than wins or losses."

Patterson said the football program has programs in place to help its student-athletes make smart choices. "At the end of the day, though, sometimes young people make poor choices. The Horned Frogs are bigger and stronger than those involved," he said.

"Our student-athletes are a microcosm of society and unfortunately that means some of our players reflect a culture that glorifies drugs and drug use," DelConte added. "That mindset is not reflected by TCU nor will it be allowed within athletics."

The investigation began about six months ago, and the Fort Worth police worked with the TCU campus police. TCU police chief Steve McGee said the students arrested Wednesday were caught in an undercover operation selling marijuana, cocaine, Ecstasy and prescription drugs.

McGee says the six-month investigation was prompted by complaints from students and parents, among others.

The names of those arrested are expected to be known later Wednesday. Officials say all 17 students have been taken off the 9,500-student school's Fort Worth campus.

"This is a very clear messsage to everybody that if you want to do this kind of thing, you can't go to TCU," Boschini said.

The Horned Frogs are set to join the Big 12 later this year in a move expected to be a boon for their athletic program. Boschini was asked if he's concerned about the football team being scrutinized over this.

"I'm concerned about the safety and health of our campus and if anyone is involved in this, they have to undergo that scrutiny," Boschini said. "I don't think it's a football problem. It's four people on the football team."

He called the entire episode "very disheartening."

"We expect more of our student, faculty and staff and that's the message we've give them today," Boschini said. "And 99.9 percent of the students here do the right thing and we want to make sure the ones that don't aren't at TCU."

TCU, also known as Texas Christian University, is a private institution affiliated with The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), a Protestant denomination. On its website, the university said 71 students -- less than 1 percent of the student body -- were disciplined for drug law violations in 2011.

Looks like it could be getting a lot worse also.

DesignatedT
02-15-2012, 01:44 PM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/03ki11er/tcubust.jpg

http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2012/02/15/11/20/5m7vO.So.58.PDF

Great replacement for the bevo12!

DesignatedT
02-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Drugs on the market, according to TCU police chief Steve McGee, included marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, mollies, acid, and prescription drugs. The investigation, chancellor Victor Boschini said, was prompted by complaints from locals.

Blake
02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
College kids and drugs?

No way

DesignatedT
02-15-2012, 02:54 PM
College kids and drugs?

No way

Yeah, since it's as simple as that. Every University has a drug ring surrounding its football team.

BUMP
02-15-2012, 03:03 PM
this is definitely newsworthy

tlongII
02-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Wish this would have happened before our 2010 opener against those guys.

leemajors
02-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Yeah, since it's as simple as that. Every University has a drug ring surrounding its football team.

Pot, surely.

Blake
02-15-2012, 03:53 PM

So you're implying that four druggie players have the rest of the team surrounded?

The Reckoning
02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
"through training and experience." :lol

gets me every time!

what i dont get is why these officers wait to purchase thousands of dollars of pot in order to arrest a couple of people....uhhh, isnt that tax money?

Texas Chili Dog
02-15-2012, 04:36 PM
This is hilarious. Best sports news of the year. :lol

fuck tcu

DesignatedT
02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
So you're implying that four druggie players have the rest of the team surrounded?

Well in the report I posted the one player said he thought at least 60 kids would fail the drug test on the team.

Blake
02-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Well in the report I posted the one player said he thought at least 60 kids would fail the drug test on the team.

Druggies always tell the truth

The Reckoning
02-16-2012, 03:01 PM
ruh roh. tcu alumns claiming that the police are admitting they issued the wrong warrants. due process? i think not.

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=150987

ChumpDumper
02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Yeah, since it's as simple as that. Every University has a drug ring surrounding its football team.Probably close to the truth tbh.

ChumpDumper
02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Well in the report I posted the one player said he thought at least 60 kids would fail the drug test on the team.Would or did?

And did he fail the test too?

JayTheClown
02-16-2012, 04:52 PM
FWST: Only 5 TCU players failed Feb. 1 drug test

Five TCU football players tested positive for marijuana (http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/02/16/3740268/source-5-tcu-players-failed-feb.html)and failed a Feb. 1 drug test initiated by coach Gary Patterson, a source told the Star-Telegram. Another 11 had trace amounts within the margin of error, the source said.

Axe Murderer
02-16-2012, 05:12 PM
:wow

death penalty?

shut down the Big XII completely?

Maybe even shut down college football for eternity?

Blake
02-16-2012, 05:34 PM
FWST: Only 5 TCU players failed Feb. 1 drug test

Five TCU football players tested positive for marijuana (http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/02/16/3740268/source-5-tcu-players-failed-feb.html)and failed a Feb. 1 drug test initiated by coach Gary Patterson, a source told the Star-Telegram. Another 11 had trace amounts within the margin of error, the source said.

¡Surrounded!

The Reckoning
02-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Great replacement for the bevo12!

lol jumped the gun.

hypothetically speaking, if a&m were to issue a drug test to football players, how many do you think would pass?

jgome21
02-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Well the Hornfrogs make their way into the Big XII as "high" as they can be.......btw if the NCAA issued drug tests to every DI football team then I can see majority of the programs having 3-5 guys fail each with the way weed is accessible on college campuses.

dirk4mvp
02-19-2012, 01:03 AM
is someone in this thread really surprised some college football players got caught with some drugs?

but athletic instructor, it was jess a lil weed!

Bill_Brasky
02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
You mean college students........smoke pot?!?!?

dirk4mvp
02-24-2012, 10:33 PM
thanks