PDA

View Full Version : Ron Jaworski is Out

manufan10
02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
... of the MNF broadcast booth.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ron-jaworski-removed-monday-night-football-181728512.html

DeadlyDynasty
02-15-2012, 02:51 PM
My favorite part of that:

This paragraph, from a December article in The New Yorker about Gruden, was a perfect microcosm of Jaws' time in the booth:
When it was Jaworski's turn, he issued a stern proclamation. "Call me crazy, but I'm really excited for Tyler Palko tonight," he said, and a roomful of skeptical sports producers erupted in laughter. Jaworski had given himself the thankless task of building up the Chiefs, praising them as much as he could without putting his own credibility at risk. Perhaps viewers would buy into the idea, however far-fetched, that Palko would emerge as the night's underdog hero. Later that day, as Jaworski was making a cup of coffee in the ESPN bus, he tried the line again. "Call me crazy, but I'm excited about Tyler Palko," he said. He exhaled. "I've got to sell this," he said to himself.

:lol

NewcastleKEG
02-15-2012, 06:54 PM
So they ditched the only guy that actually compares & contrasts players?

Gruden is too nice. He still has one foot in the NFL coaching door so he isn't willing to burn bridges.

This is a horrible decision. The matchups on MNF have been utter garbage the past 2-3 years anyway so ultimately who cares

NewcastleKEG
02-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Regardless, the mentality to promote the game rather than describe it, which seems to be shared by Tirico and Gruden, is a big reason why "Monday Night Football" has become borderline unwatchable in recent years. It's not a football game anymore; it's a promotional vehicle. (That's only going to get worse when Gruden is given a bigger stage.)
Yeah that and having shitty matchups

JMarkJohns
02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Jaws could have been great but I get the feeling he was given the edict to mass-produce his material, aka, dumb shit down for the casual fan. When this happens with yes men like Gruden (I hate him so freakin' much) and Tirico (wouldn't be half bad if he just called the game), it's just produces too much feel-good filler for a game that's already getting too feel good as it is with all the hard hits being regulated out.

America wants telling it like it is as much as it wants its slobber knockers.

NewcastleKEG
02-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Jaws could have been great but I get the feeling he was given the edict to mass-produce his material, aka, dumb shit down for the casual fan. When this happens with yes men like Gruden (I hate him so freakin' much) and Tirico (wouldn't be half bad if he just called the game), it's just produces too much feel-good filler for a game that's already getting too feel good as it is with all the hard hits being regulated out.

America wants telling it like it is as much as it wants its slobber knockers.
Yup. Gruden always focuses on the positive aspect of every play. So if there is a fumble or INT.....he always talks up the defender and will offer soft criticism of the QB

BUMP
02-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Gruden is too nice. He still has one foot in the NFL coaching door so he isn't willing to burn bridges.

Agree with you on that.

Gruden and Tirico. And then Kornheiser in general doesn't know what the fuck he's ever talking about

manufan10
02-16-2012, 10:45 AM
So they ditched the only guy that actually compares & contrasts players?

This is a horrible decision. The matchups on MNF have been utter garbage the past 2-3 years anyway so ultimately who cares

I agree with this. Poor scheduling for Monday Night games. The games on NBC on Sunday night have become what MNF once was.

leemajors
02-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Agree with you on that.

Gruden and Tirico. And then Kornheiser in general doesn't know what the fuck he's ever talking about

I still prefer him to Tirico, that dude is annoying as shit, but Kornheiser was totally out of his element. He really needs to stop calling the basket the cup on NBA broadcasts. I like Jaws on Five Good Minutes.

manufan10
02-16-2012, 10:51 AM
tbh, Jaw should go to the NFL Network for more time to do his X's and O's.

DeadlyDynasty
02-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I agree with this. Poor scheduling for Monday Night games. The games on NBC on Sunday night have become what MNF once was.

They can increase the quality of games instantly by never showing the Jacksonville Jaguars again. It blows my mind how many primetime games they get for being the worst fanbase and having only MJD and 52 scrubs you've never heard of.

BUMP
02-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I agree with this. Poor scheduling for Monday Night games.

Call me crazy, but I actually like seeing teams that you normally would never see. Just as long as both teams have some exciting players on it. IMO, it kinda gets boring seeing the Steelers-Ravens, Giants-Packers over and over again. The one thing that sucks is when injuries happen to a team that is already a big underdog.

Like last year's Chiefs-Pats game when Tyler Palko was forced to go into Foxboro and beat Brady. I think if the Chiefs were healthy, that would have been a good game