PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Spurs: Trade Targets Who Would Make Tim Duncan Feel Young Again

Duncan2177
02-15-2012, 03:35 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1056124-san-antonio-spurs-trade-targets-who-would-make-tim-duncan-feel-young-again

By Chris Johstoneaux
(Featured Columnist) on February 7, 2012

Tim Duncan is the greatest player in the franchise history of the San Antonio Spurs and arguably the greatest power forward to ever play the game. He is also approaching the end of his dominant career that has seen him win four NBA Championships and be named to 13 All-Star games.
As is expected at age 35, Duncan is no longer the player he was 10 years ago, but he is not quite ready to call it a career.
It became evident during the playoffs last season that Duncan needs some help with the interior defense as the Spurs were pushed around by Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol.
This season has been more of the same with Duncan still working too hard and trying to do too much on his own.
With the developing role players that San Antonio has, and the other stars that may not be safe from trades, the Spurs would be able to put together an attractive package that could pry a good player away from another team.
While it is never easy for NBA teams to add a quality big man, the following list is of players that the Spurs need to look to trade for in order to find some help for Duncan.
If the Spurs can once again create the twin towers they had when Duncan was the young guy, it would go a long way to prolong his Hall of Fame career and help him to play like he was young again.

Kuestmaster
02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Kaman, Varejao, Hibbert, Ibaka and Tyrus Thomas? Hibbert by a mile, not even close. One can dream. But we won't see him in a spurs uniform anytime soon, maybe when he's 33 or 34

TMTŪ
The thought of Ibaka or Hibbert next to Duncan and Splitter would make Spurs fans every start drooling. :lol Not to mention Kawhi in that frontline, just nasty.

TDMVPDPOY
too bad some of the new 7ft players are either injury prone, headcases, or scrub

smrattler
02-15-2012, 04:50 PM
"It became evident during the playoffs last season that Duncan needs some help with the interior defense as the Spurs were pushed around by Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol.
This season has been more of the same with Duncan still working too hard and trying to do too much on his own."

I don't agree with this. Duncan is produciing very efficient numbers, but in fewer minutes now. He's playing way better, but it's not like he's our horse. Splitter and DBag are keeping him fresh, as are all the other guys contributing this year.

Am I wrong here?

Paranoid Pop
02-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Ibaka would be great. We have better creators than OKC to make him work offensively too.

Robz4000
02-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Most of those guys either cost too much or wouldn't have any real impact. Kaman and Varejao would be the most logical, but Varejao is hurt and the Hornets are starting to warm up to Kaman.

underdawg
02-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I listed this before - I think it would work because Charlotte wouldn't necessarily be taking on more money because of the total $ amount of Jefferson and Thomas' contracts are pretty close. Maggette's injury history could help with Jefferson's appeal as well. The reports are that the Bobcats have soured on Thomas, but he's only 25 and surrounding him with disciplined players could help.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7kllgep

callo1
02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Has this guy watched any Spurs games this year?

Quit dreaming about Hibbert and add affordable depth. Fesenko on the cheap works for me. 7'1" 280 and young.

Mal
02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
None of them is coming here.

Ditty
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
lol Bleacher Report

Anyways I can see the Spurs making a hard run this summer at Hibbert as there #1 option.

As for picking a big man up this season...They will probably have to wait until March when players start getting bought out around the trade deadline, but I wouldn't expect a big splash. I don't see the Spurs trading a pick or even James Anderson (highest trade value of the tradable assets) as they are probably going to keep him around just in case Green takes off this offseason, or continues to stuggle.

Texas_Ranger
02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Spurs will most likely wait to the end of the season and then sign a free agent big or Lorbek. I just don't see us making a trade for some of those guys. Yea, Bonner and Blair will suck in the playoffs and we won't win shit with those two but there's still 2013. I just hope they do sign a big then. If not, I hope Tim retires, cause in the last 5 years the FO did nothing to help him. OK, Splitter is great, but others are LOL.

xellos88330
02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Hibbert would be nice. Out of all those listed, I would choose him first.

Cow Eye
02-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Spurs will most likely wait to the end of the season and then sign a free agent big or Lorbek. I just don't see us making a trade for some of those guys. Yea, Bonner and Blair will suck in the playoffs and we won't win shit with those two but there's still 2013. I just hope they do sign a big then. If not, I hope Tim retires, cause in the last 5 years the FO did nothing to help him. OK, Splitter is great, but others are LOL.

I'm just glad at least Pop has finally started cutting Bonner's minutes. I'd rather him be shipped out all together, but I'll take what I can get, I guess.

02-15-2012, 06:56 PM
the spurs would have to pry hibbert from the pacers' cold dead hands.

Proxy
02-15-2012, 09:33 PM
sigh... don't you guys ever get tired of speculating on the same guys? Seems redundant.

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2012, 09:38 PM
i trade duncan for 3 replicas of tiago

pnr all game
pick and pop all game...
dreamshake up and under all game

acoelho1
02-15-2012, 10:28 PM
Are these trade targets that are not realistic list? Also, no one will take Jefferson.. NO ONE!

5in10
02-15-2012, 11:47 PM
I like Gustavo Ayon from New Orleans. They need a sg and we need a big man. Apparently he's having trouble with the language barrier over there, something that wouldn't be a problem here.

007nites
02-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Camby?

Ditty
02-16-2012, 12:02 AM
The only thing the Spurs would give up for a trade is cash, and maybe a second round pick. With the Spurs declining I don't think they can afford to get rid of a 1st round pick to get a one year rental, unless it's someone really solid that can put us over the top, but we still would have to throw in salaries to make the trade work.

mountainballer
02-16-2012, 05:30 AM
ah yes. bleacherreport.

they somehow manage to wirte articles that are even less reasonable than some of the "trade idea" threads started by below 50 posts members on ST.

TJastal
02-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Jason Thompson of the kings would be nice affordable fit

urunobili
02-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Kaman is Pop's desire TBH. the Spurs just dont have enough assets to get him unless NOH takes RJ or Blair and fillers...

Sandman52
02-17-2012, 11:48 AM
I figured locking horns against Ben Wallace this week made Timmy feel pretty young!

rmt
02-17-2012, 12:39 PM
I figured locking horns against Ben Wallace this week made Timmy feel pretty young!

Yeah, brings back nice memories to me but I wonder how TD is feeling seeing all his peers retire - Dice, Ben & Rasheed Wallace, etc. Seems like TD's got a couple more years though.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-17-2012, 07:57 PM
ah yes. bleacherreport.

they somehow manage to wirte articles that are even less reasonable than some of the "trade idea" threads started by below 50 posts members on ST.

bleacherreport is a fan site so, yeah...