PDA

View Full Version : Assisters and Receivers this season

Spursfanfromafar
02-15-2012, 09:08 PM

Bruno had an excellent post the other day about Tony Parker's assists and who were the recipients.

I have tried to work upon that and find out who is assisting whom and how much. Here's some preliminary data. This is for all games this season except for the ongoing Toronto away game.

For now, I am putting up only a graphic that shows the absolute numbers of how many assists everyone has made and to whom. Accurate per minute stats (not pro-rated, but based on time spent by team units) will be put in later, when I have the time.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s492/Spursfanfromafar/assists.jpg

UPDATE -

Minute pairs (i.e the number of cumulative minutes played by pairs of players) till the Toronto game. -

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s492/Spursfanfromafar/minutes.jpg

Assists/48 minutes (basically - data from image 1/ data from image 2 * 48 minutes)

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s492/Spursfanfromafar/assistsper48min.jpg

Note: Ike Diogu has been omitted from the data.. My discretion :lol

Libri
02-15-2012, 11:47 PM
This has been Tony's best year in assists, 7.6 per game.

GSH
02-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I think there's probably some good information in there. But it's going to take some time to digest. Right now it makes my eyes bleed.

timvp
02-16-2012, 12:20 AM
I was working on the exact same thing including getting the player pair minutes :wow

MI21
02-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Spurstalk with the goods, per usual.

Cheers for the info.

Duncan with only 3 assists to Splitter but 16 to Blair really shows how little those two play together.

I expect these numbers to change once Manu is back balling at his proper level.

The ADMIRAL 50
02-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Not a surprise RJ leads the way on assisted buckets. I can't remember him scoring off anything other than a spot up jump shot all season tbh.

mudyez
02-16-2012, 04:49 AM
wow...i was waiting for such a stat my whole life....and now I dont see anything interesting other than: no self assists via board and (our favs)bonner+rj don't like (our real fav)splitter ;)

we need more data!

Waps1980
02-16-2012, 05:04 AM
Wow a true sign that with a top pass first point guard RJ will score thats exactly why he was a big time player next to kidd.
He needs to be found in the right spot, at the end of a fast break I don't know how many times I've seen parker on the break with RJ ahead of him but zero court vision Parker has on the break, he only sees the hoop an rightly so but its also good to get other players going and for the crowd to see some big finishes.

will_spurs
02-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Not a surprise RJ leads the way on assisted buckets. I can't remember him scoring off anything other than a spot up jump shot all season tbh.

Actually... the data from the OP is great because it's very simple to determine which player can create his own shot, and which player needs to be spoon-fed, by comparing the number of assists received to the number of field goals made over the season.

The following table shows just that:
- Bonner and RJ like to be spoon-fed
- only the big 3 and the ball handlers seem to be able to create their own shot
- Parker manages to create 75% of his shots, a lot more than anybody else on this team
- Splitter is actually quite good at creating his own shot too, managing to do so ~40% of the time

http://i.imgur.com/S56xc.jpg

therealtruth
02-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Wow a true sign that with a top pass first point guard RJ will score thats exactly why he was a big time player next to kidd.
He needs to be found in the right spot, at the end of a fast break I don't know how many times I've seen parker on the break with RJ ahead of him but zero court vision Parker has on the break, he only sees the hoop an rightly so but its also good to get other players going and for the crowd to see some big finishes.

If you play pickup ball with people like that it's always frustrating. At some point you feel like not running hard anymore because they aren't going to make the pass anyway. It can cause you to lose some interest in the game. That's why it's important for the PG to make everyone feel that they are involved. It's more important than getting 10+ assists.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2012, 06:41 AM
Have updated the Opening post.. with numbers for Minutes on court for various pairs of players ..and actual assists/48 minutes shared between these pairs.

This has been a lot of fun :). Thanks Timvp and Bruno and of course, others at Spurstalk as well for inspiring me to do this.

will_spurs
02-16-2012, 06:47 AM
According to your 3rd table, Parker sends 3.6 assists per 48 minutes to Manu, the second highest number of assists (after Splitter). However, everybody knows Tony never passes the ball to Manu. Therefore, something must be wrong. I think we have to take this data with a grain of salt.

:rollin

Obstructed_View
02-16-2012, 06:49 AM
If you play pickup ball with people like that and it's always frustrating. At some point you feel like not running hard anymore because they aren't going to make the pass anyway. It can cause you to lose some interest in the game. That's why it's important for the PG to make everyone feel that they are involved. It's more important than getting 10+ assists.

Yeah, if Parker's not careful RJ is going to stop running so hard on the break.

Spursfanfromafar
02-16-2012, 07:07 AM
According to your 3rd table, Parker sends 3.6 assists per 48 minutes to Manu, the second highest number of assists (after Splitter). However, everybody knows Tony never passes the ball to Manu. Therefore, something must be wrong. I think we have to take this data with a grain of salt.

:rollin

:) Truth is stranger than fiction.

Bruno
02-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Great work Spursfanfromafar. :tu

Actually... the data from the OP is great because it's very simple to determine which player can create his own shot, and which player needs to be spoon-fed, by comparing the number of assists received to the number of field goals made over the season.

No need to do the calculation, this stat is available on some websites:
http://www.hoopdata.com/advancedstats.aspx?team=SAS&type=pg&posi=%25&yr=2012&gp=0&mins=0

will_spurs
02-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks Bruno, I actually didn't know this website, I always use bb-reference (or database-bb but it seems it's not maintained any more).

Some stats like % of shots blocked or number of "and-1s" in a game are quite nice too.

Bruno
02-16-2012, 07:25 AM
If you like advanced stats, http://www.82games.com/ is too a good place.

SpurNation
02-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Stat guys. meh. :p: Just kidding and jealous.

Great work. :tu Can't wait for T.J.'s return so we can start seeing the placement of units on the court that benefit the most from these stats.

Green, Leonard and Splitter seem to favor each other the most when playing as part of a unit. Surprised to see Neal has favored well without having to be fed the ball and wonder what his numbers would be if fed more often. Not surprised that most of Tony's assists are to big men being the style in which the offense is run. Not many perimeter trailers to the basket when Tony is penetrating resulting in other perimeter players assists coming from kick outs by the team's bigs.