PDA

View Full Version : Does Tony Parker have a shot at League MVP?

Beanzamillion21
02-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Discuss :king

jag
02-15-2012, 09:41 PM
No.

DPG21920
02-15-2012, 09:41 PM
A legit shot, no? But I was a year off when I said TP would finish in the top 10 in voting. He should this year if he keeps it up.

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2012, 09:46 PM
hold ur horses there buddy

timvp
02-15-2012, 09:47 PM
But I was a year off when I said TP would finish in the top 10 in voting. He should this year if he keeps it up.

Parker has already done that twice. IIRC, he was 8th in 2009 and 9th in 2006.

But yeah, no, TP doesn't have a chance at winning the award this year. Even top five is really, really unlikely.

Brazil
02-15-2012, 09:48 PM
nope

SpurNation
02-15-2012, 09:53 PM
I doubt it. But I'd like to take a shot of what he's having that keeps him going game in and game out.

DPG21920
02-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Parker has already done that twice. IIRC, he was 8th in 2009 and 9th in 2006.

But yeah, no, TP doesn't have a chance at winning the award this year. Even top five is really, really unlikely.

I know he's had it before, but I thought due to circumstances he would do it last year as well. But he's doing it this season.

Robz4000
02-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Nope. It'll be Jeremy Lin at this rate, even if the Knicks miss the playoffs. Otherwise some large market player.

ffadicted
02-15-2012, 09:55 PM
No

Beanzamillion21
02-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Buh Buh Buh ESPN has him at #7.

Mal
02-15-2012, 09:58 PM
If Spurs win the league, and Parker keeps up with 22+ ppg, 8+ apg, he has a shoot. But MVP will go to LeBron, Bryant, Durant, Lin.

Brazil
02-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Buh Buh Buh ESPN has him at #7.

doesn't mean he has a shot

Mal
02-15-2012, 10:02 PM
25:1 for Lin as MVP. And people put money on it. :lmao

FkLA
02-15-2012, 10:02 PM
No. Manu couldve won it though if he had stayed healthy. :(

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
If Spurs win the league, and Parker keeps up with 22+ ppg, 8+ apg, he has a shoot. But MVP will go to LeBron, Bryant, Durant, Lin.

i think those are the exact numbers he posted in the grizz series last season, look what happen....conley and may says hi

Beanzamillion21
02-15-2012, 10:07 PM
25:1 for Lin as MVP. And people put money on it. :lmao

Gotta love those odds.:toast

ElNono
02-15-2012, 10:10 PM
nope

Mal
02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
i think those are the exact numbers he posted in the grizz series last season, look what happen....conley and may says hi

Yes, but Spurs overall record is deciding. And Parker must be by far Spurs` best player in statistic.

Rose had 25 ppg, 7,7 apg and his Bulls won the league.

Spurs finished second, but best player had 17 ppg, 6,6 apg.

This year Rose missed many games. Right now LeBron or Durant is MVP. If Parker finishes with 22, 8, he has a chance.

Kewni Leonard
02-15-2012, 10:14 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2012, 10:18 PM
i dont think anyone is stupid if they dont put money on LIN to win MVP

the only player that has won a mvp and played leasts amount of games was bill walton...

anything is possible with sterns rules

lefty
02-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Only if :

- he faces Gibson and Nash's shitty D every night
- and he doesn't go against Conley anymore

MR.SILVER&BLack
02-15-2012, 10:26 PM
wonder if he will at least make an all NBA team this year.

TDMVPDPOY
02-15-2012, 10:28 PM

the way his playing, if he continues to beat his competition and win those h2h matches...best place finish is probably 3rd team.....

Killakobe81
02-15-2012, 10:31 PM
No, but If Rose stays hurt he has a chance at 2nd or 3rd team ALL NBA ...

mercos
02-15-2012, 10:31 PM
No, he does not have a shot at actually winning the award, but he has been one of the most valuable players in the league this year. Durant should get it this year. Lebron is the best player in the league, but he is not the most valuable simply because you could take him off that team and they are still contenders. Take away Durant and OKC would struggle to make the playoffs in a highly competitive Western Conference.

Brazil
02-15-2012, 10:34 PM
lol lefty

letmk
02-15-2012, 10:41 PM
LeBron should be the MVP by a mile.

But because of his reputation, the media would try very hard to push every other candidate to the front as along as their statistics and team record are good enough for an argument.

Ghjkll
02-15-2012, 10:42 PM
If he keeps this up, he has a legit chance to be in the 2nd ALL-Nba team. Which is a great accomplishment. It means he played like a top ten player in the league.

urunobili
02-15-2012, 10:47 PM
NBA 1st team is the ceiling TBH

thispego
02-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Lol Lin are y'all fucking kidding me? :lol

Kewni Leonard
02-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Parker will not make any All-NBA team, either, unless injuries are a factor.

jestersmash
02-16-2012, 12:04 AM
He has a chance to be recognized - temporarily - as a rank 5-10 MVP candidate on nba.com's "Race to the MVP" rankings a la Manu last season.

DMC
02-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Spurs have too many weapons and have been a playoff team all of Parker's career. There's no way you can say Parker made the Spurs that much better that he would be considered the biggest game changer for the team in the entire league.

mathbzh
02-16-2012, 01:07 AM
A shot a Finals MVP is all we need

jestersmash
02-16-2012, 01:17 AM
Spurs have too many weapons and have been a playoff team all of Parker's career. There's no way you can say Parker made the Spurs that much better that he would be considered the biggest game changer for the team in the entire league.

And Derrick Rose last season fits this criterion?

lefty
02-16-2012, 01:37 AM
lol lefty

TBH he has been playing great :tu

Rapper
02-16-2012, 01:38 AM
If Tony averages 22pts 8asts per agme alongwith the spurs having the best record in the league. Tony would have a shot. a big shot

Brutalis
02-16-2012, 01:49 AM
The MVP is irrelevant in this NBA now. It's handed out to the social stars. Whoever the media loves the most; whoever is hot. Not the best player and what he does for his team.

Obstructed_View
02-16-2012, 03:43 AM
Yes, he has a shot at it. Look how good he's been with Manu out. Now imagine if Duncan were out too and he had to really shoulder the load like the MVP candidates do.

Now that you've imagined life without Duncan and Manu, you can stop imagining Parker being MVP.

timtonymanu
02-16-2012, 03:48 AM
No. He won't get the love that Durant, LeBron, and Kobe have. He should finish in the top 10 though.

Obstructed_View
02-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Frankly, he won't get the shot attempts those guys get.

z0sa
02-16-2012, 05:31 AM
No shot at League MVP but he does have one at Finals MVP which is all I care about anyway.

will_spurs
02-16-2012, 06:13 AM
The MVP will be between Lebron and Durant, and Lin will rank much higher than he should. I'm pretty sure Parker will finish in the top 10, though, which isn't bad. All-NBA 2nd is likely, All-NBA 1st is a possibility.

But what I really wish for is a 2nd Finals MVP, of course :)

Kewni Leonard
02-16-2012, 07:34 AM
The MVP will be between Lebron and Durant, and Lin will rank much higher than he should. I'm pretty sure Parker will finish in the top 10, though, which isn't bad. All-NBA 2nd is likely, All-NBA 1st is a possibility.

But what I really wish for is a 2nd Finals MVP, of course :)

Buddy... what planet are you living on? Chris Paul? Derrick Rose? Unless you're counting on those 2 missing too many games with injury, I don't know what the hell you could be thinking.

will_spurs
02-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Buddy... what planet are you living on? Chris Paul? Derrick Rose? Unless you're counting on those 2 missing too many games with injury, I don't know what the hell you could be thinking.

Paul: 18.4 ppg 9.0 apg
Parker: 19.0 ppg 7.8 apg
Rose: 22.0 ppg, 7.8 apg

It's not like their stats are outrageously better. Rose is also hurt.

Kewni Leonard
02-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Paul: 18.4 ppg 9.0 apg
Parker: 19.0 ppg 7.8 apg
Rose: 22.0 ppg, 7.8 apg

It's not like their stats are outrageously better. Rose is also hurt.

They are. Chris Paul is shooting a ton more efficient and is also averaging almost 2 and a half steals a game. Rose is not only scoring a lot more, but he's doing it more efficiently.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-16-2012, 08:00 AM

I was thinking he has a shot to make it again if he continues this pace.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Parker will not make any All-NBA team, either, unless injuries are a factor.

FYI, the don't break it out by PG/SG. There are just 6 guards selected, period. He's done it before (3rd team) , so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility.

will_spurs
02-16-2012, 08:11 AM
FYI, the don't break it out by PG/SG.

That doesn't really help, though, because of Kobe and Wade. It's not too hard to find 6 guards in this league. I say Kobe, Wade, Paul, Rose and Parker will make it, 6th spot between Westbrook, D-Will, Nash.

My point is that Parker is on an upward curve, which isn't the case of both Paul and Rose.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-16-2012, 08:16 AM
That doesn't really help, though, because of Kobe and Wade. It's not too hard to find 6 guards in this league. I say Kobe, Wade, Paul, Rose and Parker will make it, 6th spot between Westbrook, D-Will, Nash.

My point is that Parker is on an upward curve, which isn't the case of both Paul and Rose.

What will hurt DWill and Nash is that they are on such awful teams. DWill is also hovering around 40-41% FG, a much worse drop off than Parker's 45%.

Kewni Leonard
02-16-2012, 09:54 AM
FYI, the don't break it out by PG/SG. There are just 6 guards selected, period. He's done it before (3rd team) , so it's not like it's out of the realm of possibility.

Wade
Kobe

Rose
Paul

Westbrook
Nash

rascal
02-16-2012, 07:21 PM
If Tony averages 22pts 8asts per agme alongwith the spurs having the best record in the league. Tony would have a shot. a big shot

Nope. No shot at all with those stats. Not when other guys are scoring close to 30 points a game.

Obstructed_View
02-16-2012, 07:32 PM
When Parker takes as many shots as Kobe does he averages 36 points per game.

DMC
02-16-2012, 08:21 PM
And Derrick Rose last season fits this criterion?
That was the perception. The Bulls were a .500 team two seasons ago. Last year they had the best record in the league and Rose got a lot of credit for that. Thibbs got credit too.

Arcadian
02-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Yes, he certainly does. The NBA MVP often goes to the best player on the team with the best record. The Spurs currently have the third-best record in the NBA (behind only Miami and Chicago). If we can somehow finish with the best record, Parker will have as good a shot as anybody. Some might still prefer Derek Rose, but Parker will a least get a significant portion of the votes.

This is normative, of course - I don't know what actually will happen. But if he doesn't get serious consideration, that will be a huge oversight by the voters.

spursnatic
02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
NO, cause most of the time MVP is a popularity contest like All Star game is....And no one except us on here actually like the SPURS and TP....

Brazil
02-16-2012, 10:16 PM
:worthy:
TBH he has been playing great :tu

spursfan09
02-16-2012, 10:21 PM
NO, cause most of the time MVP is a popularity contest like All Star game is....And no one except us on here actually like the SPURS and TP....

Not even spur fans like TP

Wild Cobra Kai
02-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Nope. No shot at all with those stats. Not when other guys are scoring close to 30 points a game.

Tony made it with lower numbers than those 3 years ago. Those guys who are scoring close to 30 are primarily forwards, other than Kobe. LeBron has always been categorized as a forward, mostly to get him on the teams when he was young.

lefty
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
:worthy:

:lol

ThaBigFundamental21
02-16-2012, 11:16 PM
No, threads like this are idiotic. When has a guy who scored 18 points a game and dished out 8 assists a game every came close to an MVP? This is a joke. And you know when Manu comes back Parker will go back to sucking. How easily everyone here forgets how much they hated Parker the past 2 years and begged the Spurs to trade him for size. The beginning of the season you were all begging for the same. Now he is an MVP with his 18 ppg and 8 assists???

Arcadian
02-17-2012, 12:23 AM
No, threads like this are idiotic. When has a guy who scored 18 points a game and dished out 8 assists a game every came close to an MVP? This is a joke. And you know when Manu comes back Parker will go back to sucking. How easily everyone here forgets how much they hated Parker the past 2 years and begged the Spurs to trade him for size. The beginning of the season you were all begging for the same. Now he is an MVP with his 18 ppg and 8 assists???

Well...I've never been against Parker. Every year when the bullshit trade talks happen, I am always steadfast about keeping the big 3.

Beanzamillion21
02-17-2012, 01:12 AM

Your post count is a joke, and you are obviously gay with a avatar like that. fuck you, you piece of shit. :flag:

therealtruth
02-17-2012, 02:23 AM
The Spurs and Tony shouldn't be chasing the best record. They should just focusing on improving their defense. At the same time where was TP's MVP form against Conley in the playoffs? That's part of why Spurs fans aren't as enamored with TP as TD/Manu. He's faded from the big moments at times to the detriment of the team.

jjktkk
02-17-2012, 02:35 AM
The Spurs and Tony shouldn't be chasing the best record. They should just focusing on improving their defense. At the same time where was TP's MVP form against Conley in the playoffs? That's part of why Spurs fans aren't as enamored with TP as TD/Manu. He's faded from the big moments at times to the detriment of the team.

WTF? Are you a new Spur fan?

jgome21
02-17-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't think Tony will win it but he should at least get some considerations. He's been playing great for us all season thus far, the Spurs will go as far as Tony will take them. He is the playmaker of this team, and with Manu previously being out and TJ will out, he's def carried the load for the first half of the season. He will def need to keep it up the remainder to be considered.

RIP CITY.
02-17-2012, 09:15 AM
no, he does not.

romain.star
02-17-2012, 11:20 AM
WTF? Are you a new Spur fan?

+1

Remember Gary Payton? He was his first Post-season victim one decade ago

will_spurs
02-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Clippers announcer yesterday: "Parker is in the discussion for MVP this year"

stephen jackson
02-19-2012, 03:15 AM
Clippers announcer yesterday: "Parker is in the discussion for MVP this year"

"discussion" sure
he gotta do it all year though.

TDMVPDPOY
02-19-2012, 04:54 AM
if his lucky maybe top5

atm his still not gettin the attention from media from who knows why, but if he was to get attention...spurs need to be on big winning streaks, him scoring season or career highs, avg good stats....i dont think its impossible, but the media never likes the spurs, let alone tp...they just hate fkn winners

TD 21
02-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Not a chance. There shouldn't be a discussion even, because James should win it unanimously. He won't, of course. Durant and Paul will get votes. Then, in some order, will be Bryant, Howard, Rose, Wade and Nowitzki. Then maybe Parker.

But even if Parker deserved to be seriously considered, he wouldn't be. He's not a big enough name and he's still the third name that comes to mind when most people think about the Spurs. I don't think voters would feel right voting for him when he has two teammates that are arguably better and definitely around the same level.

At the rate he's going, he'll make third team All-NBA though. Five guard spots were spoken for before the season began: Bryant, Paul, Wade, Rose and Westbrook. The final one would probably have went to Ginobili, if he were healthy, with Rondo and Williams being his primary competition. Parker has basically taken Ginobili's spot.

howbouthemspurs
02-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Tony would need to get at least ten more 30pts and 10ast games to even be considered in the top 3. But there is a huge bias against him and the spurs that i doubt he would even get that.

8FOR!3
02-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Tbh Parker's the more proven competitor than LeBron. Because of its implications Finals MVP is a more prestigious award than league MVP.

2centsworth
02-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Steps to Tony Parker eventually winning MVP:

1. Spurs must win it all this year
2. Tony must be Finals MVP
3. Tony must average 20, 8 next year.

Right now there's not a PG playing a better all around game than Tony.

SpurSpurSpurs
02-21-2012, 01:10 AM
All I want is for the Spurs to finish strong in their conference, advance through the playoffs, win 4 games in the WCF then 4 games in the NBA finals. That'll all I'm hoping for. No All-star appearances, no winning MVP's... no nothing.

Robz4000
02-21-2012, 01:27 AM
He doesn't, but he should. It'll go to Lebron, Durant, or Kobe because they're superstars and have a more flashy game. When you look at importance to your team and winning, Tony is there in both categories.

Bambililos
02-21-2012, 02:22 AM
A shot at Player of the Month...

therealtruth
02-21-2012, 02:55 AM
A shot at Player of the Month...

Good point. MVP's usually get multiple player of the month awards and/or are in the running for others. It would be kind of hard to be MVP if you can't even win one player of the month.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-21-2012, 03:13 AM
If he keeps this up he should, but in reality he doesn't. The media is so anti-small market teams he doesn't have a hope. Half the league's media guys probably have no clue just how brilliantly he's played - hell, half the opposing announcers have no idea how good the Spurs have been!