PDA

View Full Version : "Excusing a loss because of a back-to-back is for puss**s and a**sholes."

midnightpulp
02-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Quote Culburn. However, I agree with him. Consider this thread discussion about how we as fans all too often blame our team's losses on back-to-backs. I, for one, don't see how a professional athlete's body can't recover in 24 hrs from playing 20-40 min of basketball the previous day. Sure, basketball is a physical game with a good amount of cardiovascular exertion involved, but not so physical and overly enduring that a world class athlete shouldn't be able to play at the same level the very next night.

Has there ever been a study done that shows a basketball player's body is indeed below 100% the following day after a game? Is it maybe more mental than it is physical?

Given the fact that a team's performance usually suffers on the second night of a back-to-back, there's definitely truth to the claim, but what is it that exactly causes it to happen?

NewcastleKEG
02-15-2012, 10:20 PM
It's the NBA

Non-educated, lazy, and prima-donna negros. Unless it's a nationally televised game....regular season is useless

Killakobe81
02-15-2012, 10:21 PM
i think the back2back needs to be looked at in context. Utah/DEnver Portland/Utah is rough. back in the 80's the Texas triangle trip ... usually with 2 of the 3 games back2back is tough. Some of the very best Lakers team would lose the second of those games.
Plus you make the assumption, all they do is play. These ninjas are banging their "summer league" hoes on these trips too ...

But a loss is a loss at the end of the season. No one cares or remembers the circumstances.

Reck
02-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Agreed. It is completely irrelevant.

Why dont we hear the same when a team wins on a back to back?

I think most people complain mainly for the actual loss rather then the back to back.

dunkman
02-15-2012, 10:44 PM
The stats would probably show it's an relevant factor. Particularly as the players get older.

Robz4000
02-15-2012, 10:50 PM
A loss is a loss, and in a regular season I'd be inclined (mostly) to agree with you, but in this condensed season rest is extremely important. When you got teams playing until 10/11 at night then getting on a plane for 2 hours while having a game at 7 the next evening, commonly throughout a season, it'll begin to wear on you. Especially for older bodies, and in those more physical games.

pass1st
02-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Not an excuse for a loss, but a factor. The fact is, teams being shouldered by players in their 30s are very susceptible to fatigue.