PDA

View Full Version : NBA Season Contest Round 3 (Ideas/Suggestions)

Spur_Fanatic
02-16-2012, 01:15 AM
First of all, FkLA won Round 2, gratz to him.
He should get his trophy once Kori gets my PM.

So, as we did after Round 1...

To those interested on playing a Round 3, do you all have any good idea you want to see in the game, any changes you'd like, anything to make the game more interesting?

Robz4000
02-16-2012, 01:33 AM
It seems to run pretty good. Just post the rules and get it stickied so people can't complain about not knowing. One suggestion I'd have is to get rid of the whole "if so-and-so scores/rebounds/plays this many minutes/etc. and 2 or more people tie, then no one gets points" thing. For instance, during a contest one of the bonus questions was "which Knick will score the 3rd most points" or something and that rule was used; really made it annoying. Other than that I'm cool with everything.

timtonymanu
02-16-2012, 03:45 AM
I'll try it out this round. From the outside looking in, I liked the idea. No changes needed, imo.

pookenstein
02-16-2012, 04:57 AM
Just what I asked earlier.
If we don't get to 10 players on any given night, don't punish the ones who did play by cancelling the day.

Make a clear set of rules, give it it's own thread and ask Kori to stick it.

Other than that the game needs no major changes imo.

pookenstein
02-16-2012, 04:59 AM
And grats FkLA. Don't get used to winning, though. From here on I'll take over. Just like that.

WeNeedLength
02-16-2012, 11:54 AM
I agree there shouldn't be a 10 person rule. Maybe include a 5 person rule just for the sake of the game. If you are unable to post your scores for a day, then that's really on you. In a 12 or 24 hour time span, how can you not access the internet? Lol. I mean I guess if you are travelling to the Amazon or Sahara Desert.

Oh and I have an idea about the big bonuses where you guess the minutes or stat line. Could we do that the closest score wins? That way at least someone gets the bonus and it will make the game more interesting. And if we did that, then the bonus could not be something outrageous like 15 or 25 points, but a nice 5 points. I think we could do the same thing with the 3rd or 4th scorers as well and if you pick a player that tied for 4th place scoring, you should get the bonus but it can't be a huge amount of points - like 5 points again.

JMOs.....

MattBonnerExperience
02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Like I said earlier, I'll post the game day threads once or twice week, if you want to take up that offer we should draft up a schedual.

Spur_Fanatic
02-16-2012, 03:48 PM
I agree there shouldn't be a 10 person rule. Maybe include a 5 person rule just for the sake of the game. If you are unable to post your scores for a day, then that's really on you. In a 12 or 24 hour time span, how can you not access the internet? Lol. I mean I guess if you are travelling to the Amazon or Sahara Desert.

Oh and I have an idea about the big bonuses where you guess the minutes or stat line. Could we do that the closest score wins? That way at least someone gets the bonus and it will make the game more interesting. And if we did that, then the bonus could not be something outrageous like 15 or 25 points, but a nice 5 points. I think we could do the same thing with the 3rd or 4th scorers as well and if you pick a player that tied for 4th place scoring, you should get the bonus but it can't be a huge amount of points - like 5 points again.

JMOs.....

Regarding the entries:

I agree. I think next round will be have a minimum of 5 entries required. I normally post the day scores right after the last game is over. I do have a problem with the Overall Score, because after the day scores are over (which are not easy to grade fast) I'm kinda tired and I just want to go to sleep.

Regarding the Big Bonuses:

This I can't do. I though about it, but it's very likely it could give a lot of trouble. What happens if someone is within 1 point and someone else within 1 rebound, when guessing a stat line? Who I reward? Who is the closest one?

Regarding the Bonuses that get tied:

I agree. From now on, ties will be rewarded too. It's also easier to score, and should provide more change and movement in the overall rankings down the strech. And yes, I think it should award no more than 5 points.

I was thinking of only doing 10-25 points bonuses with really tough ones, like guessing stat lines, or point diferential. What you guys think?

Reck
02-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I'll try it out this round. From the outside looking in, I liked the idea. No changes needed, imo.

This.

I came late to the party so I'd like yo participate in the next round.

WeNeedLength
02-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Regarding the entries:

I agree. I think next round will be have a minimum of 5 entries required. I normally post the day scores right after the last game is over. I do have a problem with the Overall Score, because after the day scores are over (which are not easy to grade fast) I'm kinda tired and I just want to go to sleep.

Regarding the Big Bonuses:

This I can't do. I though about it, but it's very likely it could give a lot of trouble. What happens if someone is within 1 point and someone else within 1 rebound, when guessing a stat line? Who I reward? Who is the closest one?

Regarding the Bonuses that get tied:

I agree. From now on, ties will be rewarded too. It's also easier to score, and should provide more change and movement in the overall rankings down the strech. And yes, I think it should award no more than 5 points.

I was thinking of only doing 10-25 points bonuses with really tough ones, like guessing stat lines, or point diferential. What you guys think?

Yeah I was thinking about that when I was typing but I just clicked submit reply anyways. :lol

I guess a bonus question would have to be very specific for something like I suggested to be implemented. Right now I can't even think of any situation so I guess just throw everything I'm arguing about out the window... :lol

Oh, and I can keep doing the overall scores, no problem. The thing is I don't usually show up to the game thread until 7 posts or so in which doesn't put the scores at the top. This isn't really a big problem though. As long as the scores are somewhere in the next thread, it should be fine.

Giuseppe
02-16-2012, 04:51 PM
This.

I came late to the party so I'd like yo participate in the next round.

The next round is in the nude. I'm participating along with DUNCAN.

WeNeedLength
02-16-2012, 05:25 PM
The next round is in the nude. I'm participating along with DUNCAN.

Aw shit, you're actually going to play??

Giuseppe
02-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Aw shit, you're actually going to play??

In the nude? Just try to stop me & 1.

Nathan89
02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Do some point spreads.

WeNeedLength
02-16-2012, 09:03 PM
In the nude? Just try to stop me & 1.

I'm the overall score keeper so you'd better stay on my good side.. :ihit

Spur_Fanatic
02-16-2012, 09:46 PM
:D

As long as everyone remembers that the NBA Contest threads are holy ground, everyone is welcome to play.

Dex
02-16-2012, 09:49 PM
I'd like to institute a rule where I win regardless of my score.

eisfeld
02-17-2012, 01:39 AM
No minimum 10 person rule

Less points for the Big Bonus Question = +5

Maximum Bonus points for getting all games right = +10

Last round for the season - whoever has the most points at the end of regular season wins - and maybe Kori can throw in a Spur instead of a trophy ;)

eisfeld
02-17-2012, 01:40 AM
Oh and congrats to FkLA!

FkLA
02-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Thanks to all the niggas who have congratuated me :toast

As for suggestions, Ive noticed that people that would otherwise be active in the competition drop out after missing a day or two because they have no shot to win the round. So Id say maybe at a certain point, like one third through the round, once people have shown that they plan to be active...then allow one mulligan. Like if someone misses a day give them the option to use that mulligan and still get some points so it wont take them out of contention. Not many points but something like 2-3 points less than the lowest point total of the day.

Spur_Fanatic
02-17-2012, 08:09 AM

As for suggestions, Ive noticed that people that would otherwise be active in the competition drop out after missing a day or two because they have no shot to win the round. So Id say maybe at a certain point, like one third through the round, once people have shown that they plan to be active...then allow one mulligan. Like if someone misses a day give them the option to use that mulligan and still get some points so it wont take them out of contention. Not many points but something like 2-3 points less than the lowest point total of the day.

Not a bad idea...

WeNeedLength
02-17-2012, 10:05 AM

+1 on this. A bunch of people dropped out of this round because of this, some that were doing pretty good too.

WeNeedLength
02-17-2012, 10:06 AM

+1 on this. A bunch of people dropped out of this round because of this, some that were doing pretty good too.

It just might get a little confusing is all...

WeNeedLength
02-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Oh I also think a playoff round would be great. Maybe one big round for the entirety of the playoffs and the winner gets a Spur? Or big ass trophy? :lol

Giuseppe
02-17-2012, 01:01 PM
^...or, a big ass platonic date with Kori.

WeNeedLength
02-18-2012, 10:08 PM
We should get this shit started tomorrow. 10 games. But there are a few early ones. So I dunno...

Kori Ellis
02-18-2012, 10:33 PM
He got his trophy, btw.

Giuseppe
02-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Kori, how bout for the next "prize" you donate a virtual kiss? A nice [kiss] symbol in the avatar area. What say, Princess?

Spur_Fanatic
02-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Thx Kori.