PDA

View Full Version : What Type of Sports Parent are You?

manufan10
02-17-2012, 11:44 AM
A nightmare sports parent?

or

An ideal sports parent?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/more-family-fun/201202/what-makes-nightmare-sports-parent

z0sa
02-17-2012, 12:19 PM
where's the "i don't give 2 shits about athletics" parent option?

Bill_Brasky
02-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah parents ruin sports for kids more often than not, fucking idiots.

Magua
02-17-2012, 12:37 PM
roger clemens

bus driver
02-17-2012, 02:12 PM
i would cheer and critique my kid and cheer on their team but i wouldnt go crazy over it and get in fights.

Kori Ellis
02-17-2012, 03:27 PM
I want to put my son in sports this summer (he's 3, turning 4 in July) and I was appalled by the fact that soccer leagues for that age play 4-on-4 without a goalie. I understand that they are little, but I don't believe in the "every wins" philosophy, so I'm not hip on the "no goalie" concept.

manufan10
02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
i would cheer and critique my kid and cheer on their team but i wouldnt go crazy over it and get in fights.

There are some idiots like that.. can't believe it some of the times. Cursing people out in little leagues.. :lol

Spurstro
02-17-2012, 03:32 PM
I want to put my son in sports this summer (he's 3, turning 4 in July) and I was appalled by the fact that soccer leagues for that age play 4-on-4 without a goalie. I understand that they are little, but I don't believe in the "every wins" philosophy, so I'm not hip on the "no goalie" concept.

I'd be more concerned if they were older, but they are only 4 years old.

Even without a goalie, I can't imagine there being a lot of goals scored.

JoeChalupa
02-17-2012, 03:35 PM
My kids played sports but more for the fun and friendship of it.

Kori Ellis
02-17-2012, 03:46 PM
I'd be more concerned if they were older, but they are only 4 years old.

Even without a goalie, I can't imagine there being a lot of goals scored.

Maybe so, but I like the more traditional sports leagues for kids. For example pitch softball/baseball -- even if it's an adult pitching -- rather than tee ball. And I think keeping score is good, even if the kids are really small.

The ones we were looking at are all 'no goalie' until the kids are 8.

cantthinkofanything
02-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Maybe so, but I like the more traditional sports leagues for kids. For example pitch softball/baseball -- even if it's an adult pitching -- rather than tee ball. And I think keeping score is good, even if the kids are really small.

When you see the size of the goal for U4, you'll understand. The "no goalie" is not so everyone will win.

mrsmaalox
02-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Oh man, kids sports are a hoot! Some of the best times I've ever had with my kids :tu

My kids have been on some good teams that were ultimately ruined by parents vs coach politics, I really hated that. And the parents that drove me crazy are the ones who coach their kid from the sidelines, ignoring that there is even a coach. I remember one guy who would pull his kid out of the time out huddle while the coach was talking, to have his own little session!

cantthinkofanything
02-17-2012, 03:54 PM
The main goal (no pun) at that age is just to get them moving in the right direction and become familiar with dribbling and kicking. If they can also pass, then great. But the goals are very small. The idea is to get them to learn to head toward that goal instead of just running straight down the field and over the end line. If you put a kid in the goal, there will be almost 0 goals scored at all.
And probably the greater reason is that you want all the kids learning to dribble and kick. Having one stand in the goal really limits that player's learning experience.

manufan10
02-17-2012, 03:57 PM

I coached basketball for a 6th grade team at the Boys and Girls club. Some of the rules there were horrible. You could only play defense on the side you were defending until the last 2 minutes of the game. So if you're getting crushed (my team sucked :lol ) then there was really no way to slow the other teams momentum. The other thing I didn't like was that everyone had to play equal minutes. The only reason I hated that was because if someone didn't show up to practice all week, they still got to play. That really screwed us up.

mrsmaalox
02-17-2012, 03:59 PM
And while I always appreciated the time invested by parent volunteer coaches, ultimately they are there for their own kid, and even if their kid is a spaz you can expect the playing minutes to be skewed for their benefit. I guess it's a perk of the job.

manufan10
02-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Oh man, kids sports are a hoot! Some of the best times I've ever had with my kids :tu

My kids have been on some good teams that were ultimately ruined by parents vs coach politics, I really hated that. And the parents that drove me crazy are the ones who coach their kid from the sidelines, ignoring that there is even a coach. I remember one guy who would pull his kid out of the time out huddle while the coach was talking, to have his own little session!

I've always hated those parents who thought that their son or daughter deserved to start or play more minutes, etc. like they know more than the coach.

cantthinkofanything
02-17-2012, 04:00 PM
The main goal (no pun) at that age is just to get them moving in the right direction and become familiar with dribbling and kicking. If they can also pass, then great. But the goals are very small. The idea is to get them to learn to head toward that goal instead of just running straight down the field and over the end line. If you put a kid in the goal, there will be almost 0 goals scored at all.
And probably the greater reason is that you want all the kids learning to dribble and kick. Having one stand in the goal really limits that player's learning experience.

That being said, 8 years old is too old to not have goalies.

Spurstro
02-17-2012, 04:03 PM

I think tee ball is great and necessary for kids to start off with. There would be too many kids that wouldn't be able to hit the ball if it's pitched to them (by an adult). Plus, it allows the defensive team more opportunities to field a ball. I think it's essential to the development of the player.

As far as soccer goes, I think playing without a goalie at a young age will only make them better players because the ball will be in play more often.

In basketball, they lower the height of the rims and you can't press, and I'm pretty sure you can't even play defense outside the 3-point line. Are you against those rules too?

sandman
02-17-2012, 04:18 PM

Two things that don't make these "Fun, Fair and Positive" leagues work for me:

1. There are always parents on every team that keep score of the games and how many "wins" the team has, so the non-competitive aspect is rendered moot.

2. The overly-protective soccer moms that make you want to ask them why they even let their precious little angel be on the team because they are so paranoid that they will get hurt.

Kori Ellis
02-17-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm not against lowering the rims :lol, but I don't like the defense limitations either.

When I was little, we played softball in leagues with an adult pitcher starting in pre-K/kindergarten. I'm not sure when kids started pitching for themselves back then -- maybe around 7. Anyway, I've just never been a fan of tee ball. And there was no such thing as the "no score" leagues in any kids' sports.

Kori Ellis
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Two things that don't make these "Fun, Fair and Positive" leagues work for me:

1. There are always parents on every team that keep score of the games and how many "wins" the team has, so the non-competitive aspect is rendered moot.

This is true. Even after age 5 or so, I think all the kids are trying to keep score in their heads too.

cantthinkofanything
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm not against lowering the rims :lol, but I don't like the defense limitations either.

When I was little, we played softball in leagues with an adult pitcher starting in pre-K/kindergarten. I'm not sure when kids started pitching for themselves back then -- maybe around 7. Anyway, I've just never been a fan of tee ball.

Even pros use a tee to work on their swing. It definitely helps a little kid keep his swing level and learn how it's supposed to feel when you hit the ball.

Kori Ellis
02-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Even pros use a tee to work on their swing. It definitely helps a little kid keep his swing level and learn how it's supposed to feel when you hit the ball.

I don't doubt it helps them keep their swing level, but obviously not the same in terms of eye-hand coordination as hitting a pitched ball. I guess I just think you can practice on a tee in your backyard when your kids is 2 or 3 or 4, you don't need them to be hitting off a tee in a league when they are 7.

cantthinkofanything
02-17-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't doubt it helps them keep their swing level, but obviously not the same in terms of eye-hand coordination as hitting a pitched ball. I guess I just think you can practice on a tee in your backyard when your kids is 2 or 3 or 4, you don't need them to be hitting off a tee in a league when they are 7.

I hear you. The problem with that is most (or a lot of) parents don't think of teaching their kids sports until the time when they are actually offered. Except Mexicans and soccer. They will dominate at U4.

Spurstro
02-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Without those defensive limitations there would be teams that would never be able to get past mid-court. I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay money only to have your kid be on that team.

I guess I look at these things/rules as more of an "everyone plays" mentality than a "everyone wins" one.

Kori Ellis
02-17-2012, 04:32 PM
I hear you. The problem with that is most (or a lot of) parents don't think of teaching their kids sports until the time when they are actually offered. Except Mexicans and soccer. They will dominate at U4.

I think a lot of kids (and their parents) are just lazy these days.

My son's teachers tell us all the time that he's "faster and more athletic than all the other kids" by a lot. I'm not sure where all these lazy kids come from, because I'm sure that he's not that fast. (I don't time him or have other 3 year olds to compare him to.) However it must be obvious because both teachers and the parent liaison have brought it up :lol

cantthinkofanything
02-17-2012, 04:32 PM
At young ages, you just gotta get as many playing as possible. And that's by making it fun for them. It's the only way to keep the leagues going and also to eventually find the ones that are good at that spot.

sandman
02-17-2012, 04:33 PM
This is true. Even after age 5 or so, I think all the kids are trying to keep score in their heads too.

I'm part of the organization that manages the velodrome here in Houston, and we run several day camps in the summers to get kids interested in riding bikes. No matter how hard we try to make it a "fun" instructional camp, it doesn't take but a day of getting used to riding a track bike before even the 8 and 9 year olds start seeing who is faster. It's just part of our DNA.

cantthinkofanything
02-17-2012, 04:41 PM

My son's teachers tell us all the time that he's "faster and more athletic than all the other kids" by a lot. I'm not sure where all these lazy kids come from, because I'm sure that he's not that fast. (I don't time him or have other 3 year olds to compare him to.) However it must be obvious because both teachers and the parent liaison have brought it up :lol

You better tell your son to learn how to sandbag. Or you're going to make a lot of enemies very quickly. :lol
No matter what the truth is, you'll be "those" parents.

bus driver
02-17-2012, 05:05 PM

it be more fun if they served beer, just saying.

i know, some cant handle their beer and get stupid.

The Reckoning
02-17-2012, 05:14 PM

but isnt he dark complected?

baseline bum
02-17-2012, 05:21 PM
I wonder if any of the kids want to even play goalie at 4 though. I'm just picturing some poor kid standing alone in the goal yelling "Guys! Guys! C'mon guys!" while everyone else is running around and battling for the ball in the middle of the field.

Kori Ellis
02-17-2012, 05:21 PM
but isnt he dark complected?

No, he's Hispanic and as pale as me. My 2 1/2 year old daughter is black.

cantthinkofanything
02-17-2012, 05:24 PM
No, he's Hispanic and as pale as me. My 2 1/2 year old daughter is black.

I bet she's even faster.

Kori Ellis
02-17-2012, 05:26 PM
I bet she's even faster.

Well she's taller (she's 13 months younger), I know that much.

cantthinkofanything
02-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Well she's taller (she's 13 months younger), I know that much.

Congratulations on your tall black child and your fast Hispanic!
I have an average heigt, semi fast for her size, 11 year old white girl that I'm open to trading for before she gets to middle school.

I'm also thinking about taking up the practice of spanking. Wish there was some advice out there about it.

Kori Ellis
02-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I have an average heigt, semi fast for her size, 11 year old white girl that I'm open to trading for before she gets to middle school.

Yeah I think she is going to be extremely tall. I also have a shortie daughter (the one in my avatar) too though. :lol It all balances out.

mrsmaalox
02-17-2012, 05:31 PM

I'm also thinking about taking up the practice of spanking. Wish there was some advice out there about it.

:lol

Cant_Be_Faded
02-17-2012, 05:49 PM

kori, they do that because kids that little hardly ever score goals, and whoever is forced to pay goalie is essentially being punished, because they are forced to stay still all game while everyone else on their team is running around having fun.....come on now.

SA210
02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
We run a Pop Warner football team. It's great having kids involved at an early age. As their new Public Relations director I'm going to start a little newspaper for the team in the neighborhood with contributions from the children as volunteers. It's a first as far as I know here, even trying to get a small youth band started but that might take a season or two to get off the ground. It's a step more than just football but it'll be fun.

ploto
02-18-2012, 09:36 AM
I did have issue with the parents who knew that every kid had to play 2 quarters of the basketball game so they never came to practice and just showed up for games. The coach couldn't do anything about it. I also remember the team (cough St. Gregory's) that would have its kids that were not very good foul out on purpose so they did not have to play them the whole 2 quarters and could sub in the best player.

With basketball for little ones, my son actually enjoyed practice more than the games. In practice, they all do the drills and stuff, but in the games only 3 or 4 kids ever touched the ball unless you grabbed a rebound.

We ended after 3 years because the coach turned into a maniac. Video scouting the opposing teams of 7 year olds and calling extra practices the day after Christmas were just a bit too much.

manufan10
05-09-2012, 01:24 PM
An Arkansas mother has sued her son's high school for cutting her son from the school's varsity basketball team, claiming that he was deprived the right of a full education because he was not allowed to take part in school athletics.

The Mamuelle boys basketball team — iHigh
As reported by Arkansas Matters and USA Today, among other sources, the mother of a Maumelle (Ark.) High freshman, a woman named Teresa Bloodman, filed suit against the school, district and state after her son was replaced on the school's basketball team following a third set of tryouts for the team that re-incorporated members of the school's football team.
Bloodman's son, who is a minor and was not named in the suit, spent two months as part of the team after qualifying through two tryouts in August only to be replaced three months later by a member of the football team, as were nine of the team's 11 original players.

Mamuelle High School — EdLine.net
While those replacements might stoke claims of favoritism, the lawsuit filed by Bloodman goes much further, claiming that her son has a Constitutional right to participate in school sports, as you can read in the excerpt from the filed suit directly below.
"…the deprivation of the right to a full and complete education which includes competition in sports and consequently athletic scholarships impairs John Doe of a property right guaranteed under both the U.S. and State Constitutions."
The suit further alleges that the sheer lack of an orderly appeals process for students who were cut is also a violation of due process.
While the case itself could serve as a watershed in how schools hold tryouts for varsity sports, the attorney for the Pulaski County Special School District is confident that it will be seen as groundless once it is further examined in a court of law.
"The simple issue here is whether or not a student has a right to participate in extra-curricular activities; be it band, choir or whatever," Pulaski County Special School District attorney Jay Bequette told Arkansas Matters. "There is no clearly established right of parents to have their children compete in interscholastic athletics."

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/arkansas-mother-sues-district-state-constitutional-violation-son-113537254.html)

DeadlyDynasty
05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
The kind that won't let his son play soccer.