PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC fires commentator Pat Buchanan

JoeChalupa
02-17-2012, 12:58 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/02/17/msnbc-fires-commentator-pat-buchanan/

Conservative political commentator Pat Buchanan has been fired from left-leaning news network MSNBC after more than four months of suspension, the longtime contributor revealed Thursday night.

In a lengthy screed published to his personal website, Buchanan tore into his former employer of 10 years for what he called “an undeniable victory for the blacklisters,” in which the former Nixon aide calls out MSNBC for caving to organizations like the African-American advocacy group Color of Change, LGBT advocates with Human Rights Campaign, Jewish advocates at The Anti-Defamation League and progressive media watchdog Media Matters for America.

MSNBC President Phil Griffin said recently that Buchanan’s suspension came after the publication of his latest book, “Suicide of a Superpower,” which contains a chapter called, “The End of White America.” Griffin said last month that he did not think the book belonged in the public discourse and Buchanan has been off the air since October, but news of his suspension did not break until January. At the time, MSNBC said there was no decision yet on his potential future with the network.

In that chapter, Buchanan writes: “Those who believe the rise to power of an Obama rainbow coalition of peoples of color means the whites who helped to engineer it will steer it are deluding themselves. The whites may discover what it is like to ride in the back of the bus.”

He adds: “Mexico is moving north. Ethnically, linguistically, and culturally, the verdict of 1848 is being overturned. Will this Mexican nation within a nation advance the goals of the Constitution—to ‘insure domestic tranquility’ and ‘make us a more perfect union’? Or has our passivity in the face of this invasion imperiled our union?”

In another chapter, Buchanan claims that “49 of every 50 muggings and murders in New York are the work of minorities,” saying the statistic “might explain why black folks have trouble getting a cab. Every New York cabbie must know the odds, should he pick up a man of color at night.”

But it wasn’t just his latest book — Buchanan has long courted racial controversy in his rhetoric. Last April he said that President Obama’s path to the White House was the result of “affirmative action all the way,” and in 2009 he asserted that the U.S. “has been a country built, basically, by white folks.”

In a brief statement issued Thursday night, the network said simply: “After 10 years, we have decided to part ways with Pat Buchanan. We wish him well.”

~~~He'll be on FoxNews soon. He cracked me up on Morning Joe.

Wild Cobra
02-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Another liberal station proving they lack tolerance.

He brings some good ideas to the table, but I'm not a fan of him.

Winehole23
02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
The uncoded, old timey, unashamed bigotry represented by Pat Buchanan, is apparently no longer welcome on MSNBC.

I thought Pat was a particularly well-spoken and courtly example of it. If he doesn't land on his feet somewhere else, i.e., if this is in effect PJB's retirement from broadcast media, I'll miss him. Disagreeing in an polite way is one of his strong points, though what he has to say is seldom polite.

baseline bum
02-17-2012, 01:41 PM
The uncoded, old timey, unashamed bigotry represented by Pat Buchanan, is apparently no longer welcome on MSNBC.

I thought Pat was a particularly well-spoken and courtly example of it. If he doesn't land on his feet somewhere else, i.e., if this is in effect PJB's retirement from broadcast media, I'll miss him. Disagreeing in an polite way is one of his strong points, though what he has to say is seldom polite.

Not following the logic... a bad message with good PR is something to be missed?

DarrinS
02-17-2012, 01:58 PM
You can't get away with writing a book like that unless you are a person of color.

TeyshaBlue
02-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Not following the logic... a bad message with good PR is something to be missed?

More along the lines of respectful debate perhaps.

Winehole23
02-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Not following the logic... a bad message with good PR is something to be missed?Hey, different strokes for different folks. I get that others won't miss Pat and I'm totally cool with that. All I meant was, Pat Buchanan has a pleasant personality.

Winehole23
02-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Sully lays it on a bit thick, but I agree with the general tenor of this:

There is so much I disagree with Pat Buchanan on - from World War II to marriage equality to immigration to my love of a multi-racial and multi-cultural society - that I could write a book in it. But let me say something in his defense: however repellent some of his views, he is intellectually honest. Yes, publicly bigoted, sometimes outrageous, a flame-thrower, a reactionary who flirted at times with what only can be called neo-fascism. But here's another thing he has always been: true to his own ideas and a gifted writer. He truly believes what he says and has read and researched a huge amount and has thought carefully about his extreme out-of-the-mainstream views. He is a serious figure in that respect. Compared with Al Sharpton or Ed Schultz, he is a paragon of intellectual integrity. He is not a propagandist. He is a passionate writer who loves nothing more than a good argument with a worthy opponent - and he has a serious sense of humor to boot. That his ideas are often repelling should precisely be why he should stay on MSNBC and defend his views against the smartest critiques that can be found. We should stop silencing people and keep debating them.http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/02/the-hounding-of-pat-buchanan.html

boutons_deux
02-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Why MSNBC Dumped Pat Buchanan: His 10 Most Outrageous Statements

By Adam Peck on Feb 17, 2012 at 11:10 am

Yesterday, Pat Buchanan announced that his tenure as a commentator at MSNBC was finally over, ending months of speculation about his absence from his once-frequent perch aside morning anchors Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski.

Calls for Buchanan’s firing by groups like Color of Change, Credo, and Media Matters had been loud and growing, following years of controversial, offensive and outright bigoted statements made by Buchanan without apology or remorse. Here is a look back at 10 of the most offensive and outrageous statements made by Pat Buchanan:

1. Wanted to close the borders to protect white dominance. As he wrote in his 2006 book State of Emergency: “If we do not get control of our borders, by 2050 Americans of European descent will be a minority in the nation their ancestors created and built.”

2. Blamed lower test scores on minorities. In his most recent book Suicide of a Superpower: Will America Survive to 2025?, he blames minorities for dragging down the country’s test scores. “[T]he decline in academic test scores here at home and in international competition is likely to continue, as more and more of the children taking those tests will be African-American and Hispanic.

3. Claimed Jerry Sandusky’s atrocities are because of “Homosexual marriage.” Buchanan appeared on a right-wing radio show on November 15 to make some convoluted comparisons: “Let’s take this Penn State thing…these horrors, there’s an organization that marches in the gay pride parade in New York called—used to—called the North American Man Boy Love Association, which advocated voluntary sex along the lines of exactly what was going on at Penn State. Many of our political icons have marched in that parade right behind that NAMBLA float […] This is now, homosexual marriage is now the civil rights cause of the decade.”

4. Said the Jewish population in the United States dropped in the 90s because Jews aborted all their babies. Buchanan explains that the decline in the American Jewish population during the 1990s (a decline that a Brandeis study says never occurred), “is a result of the collective decision of Jews themselves. From Betty Friedan to Gloria Steinem in the 1970s to Ruth Bader Ginsburg today, Jewish women have led the battle for abortion rights. The community followed.”

5. Asserted Anders Breivik, who murdered 77 people including 69 teens in Norway, “may have been right.” Buchanan called Breivik a coward, evil, and cold-blooded, and then proceeded to defend his twisted rationale for the killings: “As for a climactic conflict between a once-Christian West and an Islamic world that is growing in numbers and advancing inexorably into Europe for the third time in 14 centuries, on this one, Breivik may be right.”

6. Claimed that all great nations punish the gays. In a Human Events column, Buchanan attacked California’s 9th Circuit Judge Vaughn Walker after his ruling of Proposition 8 as unconstitutional as a “judicial tyrant,” before going on to explain that “through history, all the great religions have condemned homosexuality and all the great nations have proscribed or punished it. None ever placed homosexual liaisons on the same plane as traditional marriage, which is the bedrock institution of any healthy society.

7. Penned “The Affirmative Action Nobel.” That’s the title of Buchanan’s October 13, 2009 column on Townhall.com in which he claims that President Obama’s Nobel Prize was simply the result of affirmative action. And the column only got worse from there: “They have reinforced the impression that Obama is someone who is forever being given prizes — Ivy League scholarships, law review editorships, prime-time speaking slots at national conventions — he did not earn.”

8. Argued that Poland and the United Kingdom had it coming in World War II. Buchanan seems to suggest in a 2009 column that World War II—and all the atrocities that accompanied it—was really the fault of Poland and Britain, for refusing to engage in diplomacy with Germany. “Why did Warsaw not negotiate with Berlin, which was hinting at an offer of compensatory territory in Slovakia? Because the Poles had a war guarantee from Britain that, should Germany attack, Britainand her empire would come to Poland’s rescue.”

9. Dabbled in Holocaust denial. Pat Buchanan danced alarmingly close to denying key facts of the Holocaust. In a 1990 column for the New York Post, he defended convicted Nazi war criminal Ivan Demjanjuk (whom he later compared to Jesus Christ) against charges from Holocaust survivors that he was guilty of murder by accusing the survivors of misremembering all of it: “This so-called ‘Holocaust Survivor Syndrome’ involves ‘group fantasies of martyrdom and heroics.’ Reportedly, half of the 20,000 survivor testimonies in Yad Vashem memorial in Jerusalem are considered ‘unreliable,’ not to be used in trials[…]The problem is: Diesel engines do not emit enough carbon monoxide to kill anybody.”

10. Argued Hitler was an individual of “great courage.” That’s just one of the quotes that the Anti-Defamation League attributes to Buchanan in their compendium of offensive remarks from Buchanan over the years. In 1977, he qualified his labeling of Hitler as racist and anti-semitic by adding that “he was also an individual of great courage, a soldier’s soldier in the Great War, a leader steeped in the history of Europe, who possessed oratorical powers that could awe even those who despised him[…]His genius was an intuitive sense of the mushiness, the character flaws, the weakness masquerading as morality that was in the hearts of the statesmen who stood in his path.”

With views like this, Buchanan would probably be a nice, cozy fit for Fox News.

http://thinkprogress.org/media/2012/02/17/427875/why-msnbc-dumped-pat-buchanan-his-10-most-outrageous-statements/

boutons_deux
02-17-2012, 02:49 PM
So Sullivan thinks this Buchanan asshole should be debated because of his seriousness, and integrity.

There are plenty of assholes in, eg, paranoid freaks Oath Keepers and all kinds of other repulsive, deluded fringe groups that should be debated?

Buchanan will find another platform, surely it will be Fox Repug Slander Propaganda network, where he'll fit in perfectly with all the other Repug/Murdoch trash.

TeyshaBlue
02-17-2012, 02:52 PM
LOL @ the myopic ball of hate.

SA210
02-17-2012, 03:04 PM
#7 might have a bit of truth to it.

baseline bum
02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey, different strokes for different folks. I get that others won't miss Pat and I'm totally cool with that. All I meant was, Pat Buchanan has a pleasant personality.

So do lots of great con-men.

Winehole23
02-17-2012, 03:35 PM
sure. why don't you tell us what you really think, baseline?

mingus
02-17-2012, 03:42 PM
heard the guy say that the country was better off when there were a higher percentage of whites on Hannity, implying whites should not breed with other races and should not allow them into the country if we want to solve our problems. dude is an idiot.

JoeChalupa
02-17-2012, 03:48 PM
You can't get away with writing a book like that unless you are a person of color.

There was a time when a person of color wasn't allowed to read and write.

JoeChalupa
02-17-2012, 03:49 PM
I thought he was good on Morning Joe but some of his views are way out there in right field.

DarrinS
02-17-2012, 04:10 PM
If he had just confined his hated to Israel, he'd still have a job at MSNBC.

Wild Cobra
02-17-2012, 04:14 PM
If he had just confined his hated to Israel, he'd still have a job at MSNBC.
Yes. The liberals would absolutely love him!

ChumpDumper
02-17-2012, 04:33 PM
lol NAMBLA float

FuzzyLumpkins
02-17-2012, 05:38 PM

Yeah because when minorities write books on modern racism the likes of you and WC never criticize. you keep on pulling the martyr card for whitey, Darrin..

Blake
02-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey, different strokes for different folks. I get that others won't miss Pat and I'm totally cool with that. All I meant was, Pat Buchanan has a pleasant personality.

So for you, as long as the abuse comes in a pleasant package, it's palatable.

Fascinating.

Capt Bringdown
02-17-2012, 06:19 PM
And from the shallow end of the pool, "I admire his personality."

TeyshaBlue
02-17-2012, 06:25 PM
lol abuse.

ChumpDumper
02-17-2012, 06:30 PM
I take issue with Sully's claim he's not a propagandist. The NAMBLA float lie alone makes him one. On most issues he's fairly reasonable and even insightful, but he goes off the rails often enough to dismiss the good.

DarrinS
02-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Yeah because when minorities write books on modern racism the likes of you and WC never criticize. you keep on pulling the martyr card for whitey, Darrin..

You didn't understand what I said. I'm shocked.

If a white man writes this book, it's racism. If a black man writes it?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41xBDxmQ0CL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

BradLohaus
02-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Pat's had some health problems recently and is 73. Don't know just how serious but he was in the hospital for close to a week IIRC not too long ago. Wouldn't be surprised if he just stuck to the McLaughlin Group and his column and books from here on out.

Buchanan isn't afraid to state what one might call "inconvenient facts", especially about race. I recall one TV appearance years ago. Talking about hate crimes he said, "According to the justice department, [something like] 90% of interracial crime between blacks and whites is a black perpetrator and a white victim." Oh the looks on the other panelists faces. Of course no one debated him on that, since it's a fact, at least at the time. They just called him names, per usual.

Honestly I don't know how he usually remained as calm as he did on TV.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-18-2012, 12:57 AM
You didn't understand what I said. I'm shocked.

If a white man writes this book, it's racism. If a black man writes it?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41xBDxmQ0CL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

i understood perfectly. you just did exactly what i was referring to.

your playing it: poor whitey victim of a double standard. i'm not playing your game. poor racially mistreated you and pat buchanan.

alleged or real hypocrisy in others does not excuse bad behavior.

ChumpDumper
02-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Pat's had some health problems recently and is 73. Don't know just how serious but he was in the hospital for close to a week IIRC not too long ago. Wouldn't be surprised if he just stuck to the McLaughlin Group and his column and books from here on out.

Buchanan isn't afraid to state what one might call "inconvenient facts", especially about race. I recall one TV appearance years ago. Talking about hate crimes he said, "According to the justice department, [something like] 90% of interracial crime between blacks and whites is a black perpetrator and a white victim." Oh the looks on the other panelists faces. Of course no one debated him on that, since it's a fact, at least at the time. They just called him names, per usual.

Honestly I don't know how he usually remained as calm as he did on TV.Half the time, his "facts" are bullshit.

Borat Sagyidev
02-20-2012, 10:35 AM

heard the guy say that the country was better off when there were a higher percentage of whites on Hannity, implying whites should not breed with other races and should not allow them into the country if we want to solve our problems. dude is an idiot.

So for you, as long as the abuse comes in a pleasant package, it's palatable.

Fascinating.

Half the time, his "facts" are bullshit.

This criteria has to be at the very least good enough to invoke Godwin's law. Unless the guy runs to the affiliation himself...

Buchanan has written about the Holocaust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust) and engaged in the defense of some accused of Nazi war crimes. For example, Buchanan wrote that it was impossible for 850,000 Jews to be killed by diesel exhaust fed into the gas chamber at Treblinka. When George Will (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Will) challenged him about it on TV, Buchanan failed to reply. In 1983 he criticized the U.S. Government for expressing regret over its postwar protection of Klaus Barbie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Barbie). In 1985, Buchanan advocated restoring the citizenship of Arthur Rudolph (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Rudolph), an ex-Nazi rocket scientist accused of employing slave labor at a V-2 plant. In 1987, Buchanan lobbied to stop deportation of Karl Linnas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Linnas), accused of atrocities in Estonia. In 1991 William F. Buckley, Jr. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_F._Buckley,_Jr.) wrote a 40,000-word National Review (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Review) article discussing anti-Semitism amongst conservative commentators focused largely on Buchanan; the article and many responses to it were collected in the book In Search of Anti-Semitism (1992). He concluded: "I find it impossible to defend Pat Buchanan against the charge that what he did and said during the period under examination amounted to anti-Semitism."[18] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Buchanan#cite_note-17)[19] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Buchanan#cite_note-18) The Anti-Defamation League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Defamation_League) has called Buchanan an "unrepentant bigot" who "repeatedly demonizes Jews and minorities and openly affiliates with white supremacists."[20] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Buchanan#cite_note-19) Neo-conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Krauthammer) said about Buchanan that "There's no doubt he makes subliminal appeals to prejudice."[21] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Buchanan#cite_note-20)
Pleasant personality...

Somebody should tell Pat this isn't the 50's anymore. For some sharing his views, being fired is not much.
http://antiracistaction.org/files/images/nj2.jpg

Winehole23
02-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Maybe we should hang Pat Buchanan for his odious, socially retrograde views, or pull his tongue out by the root. Who's in?

clambake
02-20-2012, 01:17 PM
uh oh

FuzzyLumpkins
02-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Maybe we should hang Pat Buchanan for his odious, socially retrograde views, or pull his tongue out by the root. Who's in?

Maybe you should stop being a drama queen. He is being treated as a pariah as he should. Such behavior and views should be socially discouraged and physical violence is not being endorsed here.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-20-2012, 02:33 PM
my sarcasm detector is going off the charts!

No its called the fallacy of exaggeration. I am fully aware of the effect he is trying to pull off my point is that it is unfounded and a line not crosssed. I am demanding in the spirit of the thread that he call a spade a spade and not build men of straw.

rjv
02-20-2012, 02:54 PM
in a non-related story, FOX news has just announced they have hired noam chomsky to fill an hour in their prime time slots.

EVAY
02-20-2012, 03:39 PM

Really, WH? I know that you like to defend Buchanan, but suggesting that others are out to hang him is something you would not tolerate if other posters did it about someone they wanted to defend.

Are you related to him somehow?

Winehole23
02-21-2012, 03:08 AM
Maybe you should stop being a drama queen. He is being treated as a pariah as he should.What took so long?

Wild Cobra
02-21-2012, 03:15 AM
What took so long?
You aren't me. He would jump on any chance against me.

Winehole23
02-21-2012, 03:23 AM
Fuzzy is a bitter old hag. Not charming at all. That shouldn't surprise you.

Wild Cobra
02-21-2012, 03:26 AM
It doesn't surprise me at all, but I think calling it a bitter old hag is being generous. That fuzzy lump is probably moldy lumpy shit.

Winehole23
02-21-2012, 04:46 AM
Really, WH? I know that you like to defend Buchanan, but suggesting that others are out to hang him is something you would not tolerate if other posters did it about someone they wanted to defend.

Are you related to him somehow?No.

I started out by calling him a bigot, not that anyone noticed. Nor when I called him an anti-semite before. Some jackass suggested firing was too kind for PJB.

What would you infer from that?

EVAY
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
No.

I started out by calling him a bigot, not that anyone noticed. Nor when I called him an anti-semite before. Some jackass suggested firing was too kind for PJB.

What would you infer from that?

TBH, I wouldn't infer a death threat.

Winehole23
02-21-2012, 01:13 PM
well, the poster I was responding to didn't complain.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-21-2012, 01:22 PM

Lol. You take 24 hours to respond, constantly tell me that you do not care what I do or say, bitch about me constantlynevertheless to the point of going cavalier for the likes of WC, attempt using lack of charm as ad hominem and have the temerity to paint me as the old woman?

You put yourself up on the cross with Darrin, the dumbass and Pat, hypocrite.

Winehole23
02-21-2012, 01:29 PM
sensitive bitter old creep then. didn't mean to knock your manhood.

EVAY
02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
well, the poster I was responding to didn't complain.

Well, you are absolutely right about that. You know very well that I am no fan whatsoever of Buchanan's and I considered his book on WWII revisionist history in the extreme. Having said that, I think the man has a right to say things that I disagree with strongly. I also believe that msnbc has a right to hire and fire whomever they wish, much as does Fox.

Is Buchanan still a regular on that McGlaughlin Report on PBS? I stopped watching it years ago.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
sensitive bitter old creep then. didn't mean to knock your manhood.

Classic machismo doesn't resonate with me. I just found it odd that you would term me the old woman when your version of 'charm' is your passive aggressive nonsense. It really made me think more to you then myself. My 'manhood' is okay even under such assault.

Winehole23
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
good for you

FuzzyLumpkins
02-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Are you a woman, winehole? I am being quite serious when I ask.

Winehole23
02-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Well, you are absolutely right about that. You know very well that I am no fan whatsoever of Buchanan's and I considered his book on WWII revisionist history in the extreme. Having said that, I think the man has a right to say things that I disagree with strongly. I also believe that msnbc has a right to hire and fire whomever they wish, much as does Fox. Agree 100%.

Is Buchanan still a regular on that McGlaughlin Report on PBS? I stopped watching it years ago.Don't think so, but I seldom watch it.

2centsworth
02-22-2012, 02:31 AM
I've only read the free chapter from amazon, but so far there's been nothing racist about it. In fact, it's very intriguing so I went ahead a purchased the book. I'll report back after I've read the book. I don't trust anyone's opinion except my own.

SA210
02-22-2012, 04:21 AM
Wow, he actually makes perfect sense in this interview.

L033M6wqNCI

Winehole23
02-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Are you a woman, winehole? I am being quite serious when I ask.srsly, does it matter?

Winehole23
02-22-2012, 10:01 AM
http://books.google.com/books?id=HtCokT_DodYC&pg=PT203&lpg=PT203&dq=Crazy?+Tex+Colson?+Never+in+Hell.+%22He%27s+the +meanest+man+in+American+politics,%22+says+Nixon%2 7s+speechwriter+Pat+Buchanan,+smiling+lazily+over+ the+edge+of+a+beer+can+beside+the+pool+outside+his +Watergate+apartment.+Buchanan+is+one+of+the+few+p eople+in+the+Nixon+administration+with+a+sense+of+ humor.+He+is+so+far+to+the+right+that+he+dismisses +Tex+Colson+as+a+%22Massachusetts+liberal.%22++But +for+some+reason,+Buchanan+is+also+one+of+the+few+ people+--+perhaps+the+only+one+--+on+Nixon%27s+staff,+who+has+friends+at+the+other+ end+of+the+political+spectrum.+At+one+point+during +the+campaign+I+mentioned+Buchanan+at+McGovern+Hea dquarters,+for+some+reason,+and+Rick+Sterns,+perha ps+the+most+hardline+left-bent+ideologue+on+McGovern%27s+staff,+sort+of+chuc kled+and+said,+%22Oh+yeah,+we%27re+pretty+good+fri ends.+Pat%27s+the+only+one+of+those+bastards+over+ there+with+any+principles.%22+When+I+mentioned+thi s+to+another+McGovern+staffer,+he+snapped:+%22Yeah ,+maybe+so.+.+.+like+Josef+Goebbels+had+principles .%22&source=bl&ots=lxn9JZGyXF&sig=QpJ14DDpdPIzAXV_0BglbrkQ234&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-AJFT_PeM4rlsQK0wunCDw&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Crazy%3F%20Tex%20Colson%3F%20Never%20in%20Hell.% 20%22He%27s%20the%20meanest%20man%20in%20American% 20politics%2C%22%20says%20Nixon%27s%20speechwriter %20Pat%20Buchanan%2C%20smiling%20lazily%20over%20t he%20edge%20of%20a%20beer%20can%20beside%20the%20p ool%20outside%20his%20Watergate%20apartment.%20Buc hanan%20is%20one%20of%20the%20few%20people%20in%20 the%20Nixon%20administration%20with%20a%20sense%20 of%20humor.%20He%20is%20so%20far%20to%20the%20righ t%20that%20he%20dismisses%20Tex%20Colson%20as%20a% 20%22Massachusetts%20liberal.%22%20%20But%20for%20 some%20reason%2C%20Buchanan%20is%20also%20one%20of %20the%20few%20people%20--%20perhaps%20the%20only%20one%20--%20on%20Nixon%27s%20staff%2C%20who%20has%20friends %20at%20the%20other%20end%20of%20the%20political%2 0spectrum.%20At%20one%20point%20during%20the%20cam paign%20I%20mentioned%20Buchanan%20at%20McGovern%2 0Headquarters%2C%20for%20some%20reason%2C%20and%20 Rick%20Sterns%2C%20perhaps%20the%20most%20hardline %20left-bent%20ideologue%20on%20McGovern%27s%20staff%2C%20 sort%20of%20chuckled%20and%20said%2C%20%22Oh%20yea h%2C%20we%27re%20pretty%20good%20friends.%20Pat%27 s%20the%20only%20one%20of%20those%20bastards%20ove r%20there%20with%20any%20principles.%22%20When%20I %20mentioned%20this%20to%20another%20McGovern%20st affer%2C%20he%20snapped%3A%20%22Yeah%2C%20maybe%20 so.%20.%20.%20like%20Josef%20Goebbels%20had%20prin ciples.%22&f=false

TeyshaBlue
02-22-2012, 10:33 AM
srsly, does it matter?

he's quite srs.

Winehole23
02-24-2012, 05:34 AM
(permission to flirt, denied regardless)