PDA

View Full Version : Renaldo Balkman?

Darkwaters
02-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Hoopshype is reporting that the Knicks may waive Balkman in order to make room for JR Smith's signing. If he hits the open market, is anybody interested in him as our 5th big?

Height: 6'8
Position: Combo Forward

Hes currently making 1.65M this year and next year. The Spurs could either claim him at that rate off waivers or simply sign him in the free market if he clears.

Sure hes undersized, but this team is very limited on bigman choices on the free market. And at least the guy has a good head on his shoulders with an above average BBIQ. Thoughts?

jjktkk
02-17-2012, 04:46 PM
We already have a superior Balkman in Leonard. Don't see the fit tbh.

Kewni Leonard
02-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Hoopshype is reporting that the Knicks may waive Balkman in order to make room for JR Smith's signing. If he hits the open market, is anybody interested in him as our 5th big?

Height: 6'8
Position: Combo Forward

Hes currently making 1.65M this year and next year. The Spurs could either claim him at that rate off waivers or simply sign him in the free market if he clears.

Sure hes undersized, but this team is very limited on bigman choices on the free market. And at least the guy has a good head on his shoulders with an above average BBIQ. Thoughts?

Thoughts: LOL.

spurs4real
02-17-2012, 04:56 PM
I love his phisicality and yes is my vote

spurs4real
02-17-2012, 05:04 PM
We should want his cockiness and swagger something that we don't have, he's a rude player and comes with no apologies

Obstructed_View
02-17-2012, 05:06 PM
The Spurs are third from the end of the line to claim him, right?

jermaine
02-17-2012, 05:10 PM
If he's not going to crack the rotation, don't bother. I haven't watched him play soooo Idk!

spurs4real
02-17-2012, 05:13 PM
If he's not going to crack the rotation, don't bother. I haven't watched him play soooo Idk!

In all fairness anyone we pick up isnt gonna get played right away, theyll have to earn their way into a rotation that already seems pretty close to established.

Darkwaters
02-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Report: Knicks Will Cut Balkman To Clear Roster Spot For Smith
Feb 17, 2012 10:48 AM EST

The Knicks will cut Renaldo Balkman, a move that will clear a roster spot needed to sign J.R. Smith.

Balkman, who has been out of the rotation since early January, has one remaining year at $1.8 million.

Smith is expected to make his debut Sunday against the Mavericks.

Via New York Post

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/219063/Report_Knicks_Will_Cut_Balkman_To_Clear_Roster_Spo t_For_Smith#ixzz1mgDArEf9

http://www.nysun.com/pics/6333.jpg

ginobilized
02-17-2012, 05:17 PM
My vote is no. As if I really have a vote.

spurs4real
02-17-2012, 05:20 PM
My vote is no. As if I really have a vote.

haha good one, my vote dont count either but I voted nonetheless

Darkwaters
02-17-2012, 05:21 PM
I think the only way you do sign him is with the vet minimum. And frankly, at that rate, it might be a move that makes a lot of sense. Hes the kind of hard-working, defensive minded, player that Pop loves.

But then again, hes undersized and he has basically no offensive game to speak of.

Still, another option to add to the very limited pool of free agents.

Bruno
02-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Spurs' can't claim him from waivers because they don't have cap space or a big enough trade exception to do it. Saying that, he will clear waivers. Teams won't claim him with his contract.

Balkman would be a fine end of the bench player. I have no problem with Spurs signing him for the min. Saying that, he won't solve Spurs main problem that is a lack of a decent starting PF.

Kewni Leonard
02-17-2012, 05:24 PM
The Spurs need to either sign a real big body 6'11"+, or another backup point.

ThaBigFundamental21
02-17-2012, 05:25 PM
No, now please stop it with these stupid topics. We aren't out to sign players who won't help us.

Darkwaters
02-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Spurs' can't claim him from waivers because they don't have cap space or a big enough trade exception to do it. Saying that, he will clear waivers. Teams won't claim him with his contract.

Balkman would be a fine end of the bench player. I have no problem with Spurs signing him for the min. Saying that, he won't solve Spurs main problem that is a lack of a decent starting PF.

Good point about the waivers thing. Being over the cap thats not even an option for us.

The thing that worries me about the Spurs is if they lose one bigman to injury they're down to a 3 man rotation. Even if thats only an injury that takes a guy out of the rotation for a couple of games, it's still downright damning. How do you rest Duncan when all you have is 3 bigs? I'd rather have a guy like Balkman on the bench ready to play if somebody twists an ankle. And having that 5th guy also gives you the ability to make a trade that sends Blair out the door.

Darkwaters
02-17-2012, 05:28 PM
The Spurs need to either sign a real big body 6'11"+, or another backup point.

Recommendations?

And you can't say Przybilla.

Darkwaters
02-17-2012, 05:28 PM
No, now please stop it with these stupid topics. We aren't out to sign players who won't help us.

Malcolm Thomas?

Bruno
02-17-2012, 05:42 PM
It's truly crazy that Spurs only carry 4 bigmen with this compressed schedule. They might do it to save a little money but it makes no sense basketball wise. My pick as 5th big, provided he is in decent shape, is Etan Thomas.

Kewni Leonard
02-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Recommendations?

And you can't say Przybilla.

I'd wait until players are bought out, closer to the trade deadline.

I'd also much rather try to get McDyess out of retirement than sign Renaldo Balkman.

therealtruth
02-17-2012, 06:04 PM
It's truly crazy that Spurs only carry 4 bigmen with this compressed schedule. They might do it to save a little money but it makes no sense basketball wise. My pick as 5th big, provided he is in decent shape, is Etan Thomas.

That's what drives me nuts. Is there are plenty of backup bigs with size the Spurs could get that would allow TD and TS to start and play together more and prevent Bonner/Blair combinations of the bench.

ChumpDumper
02-17-2012, 06:14 PM
I think they are waiting for other players to be waived in the coming weeks. I wouldn't rule out any 10-day tryouts for those who have already been waived, though, or even a call up from the Toros. Middle of the road trip is a crappy time to add anyone.

ChumpDumper
02-17-2012, 06:15 PM
That's what drives me nuts. Is there are plenty of backup bigs with size the Spurs could get that would allow TD and TS to start and play together more and prevent Bonner/Blair combinations of the bench.There aren't many out there who could break the current rotation.

Darkwaters
02-17-2012, 06:27 PM
I haven't heard anything about Hansbrough being on the block. I would love to have him but I'm not sure why Indiana would take our scraps unless they were already trying to move Tyler.

slick'81
02-17-2012, 07:56 PM
allready have kawhi no thanks

Wild Cobra Kai
02-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Balkman has all of the undersized big man issues on D that Blair does, doesn't rebound as well, and is far worse offensively. There's a reason he was nailed to the bench for an awful Knicks team.

Leetonidas
02-17-2012, 08:47 PM
If we had cut RJ I'd be all for signing him up to back up Leonard but unfortunately we're stacked on the wing and he's undersized even for small ball so nah

ohmwrecker
02-17-2012, 08:50 PM
No.

maverick1948
02-17-2012, 11:46 PM
If Balkman had a high BBIQ, he would be playing for some team like the KNICKS.

SamoanTD
02-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Balkman really is this just a desperation thing?

DPG21920
02-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Spurs don't need a fifth big; they have one starting. They need a starting caliber PF.

Spursfanfromafar
02-18-2012, 12:59 AM

My sense is that the Spurs are waiting for the March 15 deadline, which may see a few players waived and the possibility of recruiting a few off waivers then.

And although there is no indication, is it possible for McDyess to come out of retirement a la PJ Brown for only the last few games and the postseason? I for one am not ruling that out.

Ice009
02-18-2012, 05:41 AM
Spurs don't need a fifth big; they have one starting. They need a starting caliber PF.

EXACTLY. They do NOT need a 5th big.

I will add though that a 3rd big would be OK too, then Splitter can start.

So they either need a starting caliber PF or a 3rd big so Tiago can start.

TJastal
02-18-2012, 05:48 AM
EXACTLY. They do NOT need a 5th big.

I will add though that a 3rd big would be OK too, then Splitter can start.

So they either need a starting caliber PF or a 3rd big so Tiago can start.

Maybe we can score the next nugget to fall out of the tree?

I believe 35 year old Kenyon Martin would have been the best available fit for the role in question. But he chose the big lights of LA. However, 34 year old Chris Anderson is no slouch himself and may aguably even provide better rim protection than Martin.

I would love to get excited thinking Pop and the FO are quietly making phone calls on this opportunity but then I slap myself in the face and remember what team I root for.

silverblk mystix
02-18-2012, 06:03 AM
The ONLY reason Splitter is playing at all is because the spurs don't have a "5th" big...

You guys want ANOTHER guy to take away minutes from Splitter...lol...

TJastal
02-18-2012, 06:21 AM
The ONLY reason Splitter is playing at all is because the spurs don't have a "5th" big...

I just want a guy to take Blair's place in the rotation. A guy who is not the biggest defensive liability in all of professional basketball. A guy who can be played in any lineup and doesn't have to be babysat constantly.

If we could get a guy like this I wouldn't even mind if Splitter continued logging most of his 20 minutes a game off the bench with Bonner. At least the team wouldn't be running handicapped as it is currently.

TDMVPDPOY
02-18-2012, 01:21 PM
i sign him just to take rjs place next season when his amnestied

Darkwaters
02-18-2012, 02:11 PM

Don't worry, if the next wave of injuries hits our bigs instead of our guards then Tiago will get about 48 minutes a game.

ace3g
02-18-2012, 04:48 PM
could he be an option now?

Darkwaters
02-18-2012, 07:21 PM
could he be an option now?

Doubtful. Knowing that Tiago, a 7 footer, is the guy you lost you should probably aim for more size. When you didn't know who, if anyone, was hurt then Balkman made more sense.

ace3g
02-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Well with Pop saying they will have to play more small ball, maybe getting big SF with some size like Balkman or Al Thornton (who just worked out with Phx during a FA camp) would work.