PDA

View Full Version : When will the media get bored of Jeremy Lin

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 05:55 PM
So we can all go back to our regularly scheduled programming? The show is coming to an end soon guys, the gook shot 8-24 for 20 points last game. 6 TO's too. Those are Kobe numbers, I told you guys as teams adjust he would cool down.

JamStone
02-17-2012, 06:01 PM
So we can all go back to our regularly scheduled programming? The show is coming to an end soon guys, the gook shot 8-24 for 20 points last game. 6 TO's too. Those are Kobe numbers, I told you guys as teams adjust he would cool down.

That was 3 games ago and he had the game-tying assist and game winning free throw in that win. He's since had a game winning shot in another win and played a solid and efficient point guard game in the last win.

As much undeserved hype as he is getting for a number of different factors like being Asian and going undrafted and playing for the Knicks, I think the biggest factor that at least in part legitimizes the hype is that his performances are translating into wins. If the Knicks start losing and he starts playing poorly, then the hype will cool off. Warranted or not, he's putting up good to great performances and his team is winning. Hard to knock the kid for that, even if he's getting too much hype.

m>s
02-17-2012, 06:01 PM
as teams adjust defensive strategy on him, he'll also adjust in response and finally the Harvard graduate will outwit them all. i ain't no fan of chinks you know but that nigga Jeremy Woods is a MF'N graduate from HARVARD!!!

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 06:03 PM
That was 3 games ago and he had the game-tying assist and game winning free throw in that win. He's since had a game winning shot in another win and played a solid and efficient point guard game in the last win.

As much undeserved hype as he is getting for a number of different factors like being Asian and going undrafted and playing for the Knicks, I think the biggest factor that at least in part legitimizes the hype is that his performances are translating into wins. If the Knicks start losing and he starts playing poorly, then the hype will cool off. Warranted or not, he's putting up good to great performances and his team is winning. Hard to knock the kid for that, even if he's getting too much hype.

you're right i was looking at it backwards, that was 3 games ago. but honestly, do you see him continuing to put up 20/10 every game from here on in? top 5 nba pg all the sudden eh? i guess teams aren't ever going to get film on him and make adjustments. lmao

m>s
02-17-2012, 06:07 PM
That was 3 games ago and he had the game-tying assist and game winning free throw in that win. He's since had a game winning shot and played a solid and efficient point guard game in the last win.

hope u said all this not just b/c he's asian and so are you. the harvard graduate is a genius and he has the potential to be great as anyone (even the prime kobe) but life ain't easy for him tbh. he still has room to improve and it takes more then a Harvard degree to succeed in NBA

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 06:09 PM
I think the improved team play is just the placebo effect. That little chink boy isn't the difference in a horrible team and a winning team. That team has won 7 straight after starting off 8-15, Lin ain't that much of an impact player. New York was just having a pity party and desperately needed something to lift their hopes and give them a little confidence.

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 06:09 PM
hope u said all this not just b/c he's asian and so are you. the harvard graduate is a genius and he has the potential to be great as anyone (even the prime kobe) but life ain't easy for him tbh. he still has room to improve and it takes more then a Harvard degree to succeed in NBA

shut up rogue that fucking chink isn't ever going to be anywhere near as good as kobe

JamStone
02-17-2012, 06:22 PM
you're right i was looking at it backwards, that was 3 games ago. but honestly, do you see him continuing to put up 20/10 every game from here on in? top 5 nba pg all the sudden eh? i guess teams aren't ever going to get film on him and make adjustments. lmao

No I don't expect 20/10 or 25/8 for the rest of the season, certainly not after Carmelo returns. To be honest, I'm not sure how long he can keep playing well. But the thing about his performances is that ever since he's gotten his shot, he's played pretty well. This isn't a one game or two game fluke. He did it for like 5, 6 games straights. I don't care what type of teams the Knicks were playing, that's hard to do in the NBA. When Melo returns and they find a nice balance in the offense, I could see perhaps say 15-16 points and 7-8 assists a game and he would still be living up to what he established in his first few starts. He obviously won't be taking and won't need to be taking as many shots. And while there will likely be some growing pains between him and Melo, the offense seems like a good structure for him to have continued success.

He might not have prototypical PG quickness and skills and athleticism, but he's not slow or unskilled either. I think his methodical hesitation and change-of-pace ability has worked pretty well so far against defenders. And he's probably more athletic than some critics make him out to be. He's not Ty Lawson, but he's not old ass Derek Fisher slow either. Plus he's got good size for a PG and obviously has shown a strong BB IQ. Unlikely he continues to put up MVP caliber numbers. But I don't think he'll all of a sudden turn into Chris Duhon either.

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 06:25 PM
i'm thinking 12 and 6, solid backup pg like i've said all along. only in new york would he be a starter

JamStone
02-17-2012, 06:30 PM
If you're a back up averaging 6 assists, you probably should start. Who averages 6 assists of the bench?

edit: unless the guy starting ahead of you is putting up just as good numbers or better. On the current Knicks roster, who will be a better starting PG?

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 06:32 PM
a solid pass first backup pg. but you're right probably more like 11-12 and 5

m>s
02-17-2012, 06:45 PM
NY had the strongest front court and all they needed was a solid PG capable of agglutinating the shit. they've GOT it and they're stacked as FUCK now, u guys just be jealous and the teams who once had him on their rosters must be kicking themselves for lettin him go tbh

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 06:47 PM
If you're a back up averaging 6 assists, you probably should start. Who averages 6 assists of the bench?

edit: unless the guy starting ahead of you is putting up just as good numbers or better. On the current Knicks roster, who will be a better starting PG?

well a backup quality pg who is getting starter minutes because of lack of depth at his position could have higher numbers too. if lin ends up averaging 12 and 6, it's safe to say that he probably wouldnt if his minutes were cut

JamStone
02-17-2012, 07:02 PM
well a backup quality pg who is getting starter minutes because of lack of depth at his position could have higher numbers too. if lin ends up averaging 12 and 6, it's safe to say that he probably wouldnt if his minutes were cut

I assumed his minutes would already be cut if he's coming off the bench. Are you suggesting Lin should be a back-up playing starter minutes? Not sure what you were getting at with that comment.

Again, if a back-up PG is getting starter minutes and there isn't a better PG on the roster, he should probably be starting. Right now, there isn't a better PG on the Knicks roster.

For the record, there is currently no back-up PG in the entire NBA putting up 12/6. There are two back-ups that are putting up 10/5, Andre Miller and Ramon Sessions. You could argue Miller is still good enough to start in the league, but he's also backing up a really good starter in Ty Lawson, and Miller is still playing close to starter minutes. And Ramon Sessions is perhaps the type of PG you view Jeremy Lin as. But Sessions is shooting 37% from the field, his play isn't translating to many wins, and he hasn't consistently been putting up good performances game in and game out even with Kyrie Irving in and out of the line-up recently.

12/6 from a back-up and backing up a PG who isn't producing better numbers, that back-up should probably start.

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
okay, you just aren't getting the fucking point. here's what i'm saying, listen closely: I think that lin will finish the year around 12 and 6, as a new york knicks starter, but that in reality he is a solid backup pg, not a starter for a contender. i'm sure that makes some sort of sense to you. obviously if he were a backup he wouldn't put up 12 and 6, but he's on the knicks.

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 07:06 PM
and yes i'd say he's equal to miller in terms of overall talent, but they are two completely different players who play nothing alike. both solid backup pg's though, maybe a starter on a bad team.

JamStone
02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
okay, you just aren't getting the fucking point. here's what i'm saying, listen closely: I think that lin will finish the year around 12 and 6, as a new york knicks starter, but that in reality he is a solid backup pg, not a starter for a contender. i'm sure that makes some sort of sense to you. obviously if he were a backup he wouldn't put up 12 and 6, but he's on the knicks.

He may finish with that. But he also played in about 9 games in garbage minutes that already currently skew his season numbers. He's averaging just over 12 and 5 right now because of those games.

As a starter, he's put up 24 points and close to 10 assists per game. By the end of the season, what do you think he'll average "as a starter?"

I'll say he will probably settle in around 15/7 "as a starter."

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 07:12 PM
i don't think those 9 games will skew his averages that much, i think he'll finish around 12 and 6 as a starter and something similar to that overall.

i guess there really isn't htat much difference between 12/6 and 15/7 but i do feel that those numbers are a little high. that would make him definitely starter quality and i just don't buy it.

Latarian Milton
02-17-2012, 07:13 PM
some guys love him to an excessive level because he's a chink, and some others hate him for the same reason.

i ain't a fan of chinks but i have to respect that HARVARD graduate tbh

HARVARD graduate :cry

JamStone
02-17-2012, 07:17 PM
i don't think those 9 games will skew his averages that much, i think he'll finish around 12 and 6 as a starter and something similar to that overall.

i guess there really isn't htat much difference between 12/6 and 15/7 but i do feel that those numbers are a little high. that would make him definitely starter quality and i just don't buy it.

One telling game is the first game he got a legit chance to play, granted against the New Jersey Nets. It was off the bench, but he dropped 25 and 7. Those numbers aren't the telling part of the performance. It's that the Knicks had both Carmelo and Amare in the line-up playing big minutes.

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 07:19 PM
roddy beaubois also scored 40 points in a game when he was first given a chance, doesn't mean much though. anthony johnson dropped 40 in a playoff game too.

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
before the comments that he did it in 6 or 7 games! not just 1! let me say this: a 6 or 7 game sample doesn't mean anything either.

JamStone
02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
roddy beaubois also scored 40 points in a game when he was first given a chance, doesn't mean much though. anthony johnson dropped 40 in a playoff game too.

One game doesn't mean much... unless it's followed up by the subsequent performances that Lin has put up consecutively. And it's just to show that it's not an impossibility that Lin will continue to play well when Melo returns to the line-up. I do expect his numbers to go down, but I'm not convinced he won't continue to play reasonably well and well enough to be a legit starting caliber PG.

JamStone
02-17-2012, 07:25 PM
before the comments that he did it in 6 or 7 games! not just 1! let me say this: a 6 or 7 game sample doesn't mean anything either.

Consecutively. He hasn't really had a bad game yet. He had some bad quarters or halves. But even when he shot 8-for-24, he had a good first half and closed strong. Last game when he scored only 10 points, he had 13 assists and went 4-for-6 from the field. We're still waiting for a truly bad performance. The turnovers are a problem, but they haven't stopped him from playing well overall.

I'm not on the bandwagon proclaiming he's up there with Derrick Rose or he's the next Steve Nash or anything like that. But since he's gotten his opportunity, he hasn't had a bad game yet.

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 07:25 PM
well, raymond felton is a "starting nba pg" too but that doesn't say much. on a lot of teams he'd be better suited as a backup. i think lin can be a starter on a really bad team, or preferably a backup on a good team. look at the guy and tell me what does he really do thats great? average jumpshot for his position, average speed/quickness, turnover prone, average defender. average average average. been balling out of his mind here lately, but i dont expect that to last forever. quote me on it. throw it in my face if i'm wrong. i just don't see this hype continuing on for much longer.

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Consecutively. He hasn't really had a bad game yet. He had some bad quarters or halves. But even when he shot 8-for-24, he had a good first half and closed strong. Last game when he scored only 10 points, he had 13 assists and went 4-for-6 from the field. We're still waiting for a truly bad performance. The turnovers are a problem, but they haven't stopped him from playing well overall.

I'm not on the bandwagon proclaiming he's up there with Derrick Rose or he's the next Steve Nash or anything like that. But since he's gotten his opportunity, he hasn't had a bad game yet.

solid rotation players (7th or 8th man) also make the most of their opportunities and don't royally fuck up all the time either. they even have stretches sometimes where they play awesome. doesn't change who they are as a player though. the rule of averages comes into effect.

Latarian Milton
02-17-2012, 07:27 PM
niggas should wear off the long-lasting prejudice against them chinks tbh, i mean if RC gives Yi 30min a game he'd also put up 12+5.

we just hate dem chinks for no reason, how wrong i am :cry

JamStone
02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
solid rotation players (7th or 8th man) also make the most of their opportunities and don't royally fuck up all the time either. they even have stretches sometimes where they play awesome. doesn't change who they are as a player though. the rule of averages comes into effect.

I'd love to know another point guard this season, starter or off the bench, who has put up 24/9 on 55% shooting in a 6 game stretch and the team go 6 straight wins. I didn't look it up, but I'd be surprised if even Derrick Rose has done that. What the kid is doing is nothing short of amazing. The law of averages should certainly bring him down some. But we're still waiting to see the first evidence of regression. You claim the regression will be pretty steep if you think he'll end up at 12/6 on the season "as a starter." I'm not yet convinced it will be that drastic.

mavs>spurs
02-17-2012, 07:32 PM
well the only thing left to do is wait and see what happens

JamStone
02-17-2012, 07:36 PM
true and fair enough.

rayjayjohnson
02-17-2012, 07:58 PM
The only good team the Knicks have beaten in this run is the lakers.

Nuff said

Koolaid_Man
02-17-2012, 08:10 PM

You my boo Tyson:

7VSCc1tfPFo

jeebus
02-17-2012, 08:14 PM
The only good team the Knicks have beaten in this run is the lakers.

Nuff said

The Lakers are a good team? :rollin

Leetonidas
02-17-2012, 08:57 PM
His GPA was 3.1, which is pretty much an F for an Asian tbh

Latarian Milton
02-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Harvard graduate back to real tbh :cry

Rapper
02-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Linsanity forever

http://www.tianjinwe.com/tianjin/tjyl/201202/W020120218399464216398.jpg