PDA

View Full Version : Signing another player?

Libri
02-18-2012, 06:41 PM
With injuries to Tiago and Manu, is there any chance the Spurs bring in another player and who could they sign?

Kori Ellis
02-18-2012, 06:42 PM
They have to sign someone with Tiago out. They can't do anything with a frontline of Duncan-Bonner-Blair. They need to be on the phone now to pick up any bigs on a 10 day just for filler.

will_spurs
02-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Malcolm Thomas is the most likely candidate. They could get Ajinca on short notice if they consider they really need a center, but I'm not sure that would help anyway.

loveforthegame
02-18-2012, 06:44 PM
They will have to sign someone. No way they can move forward with only 3.

I wouldn't expect much but someone to spot minutes for the other guys to rest and for 6 fouls.

Beaverfuzz
02-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Przybilla baby, he can ball!

Bruno
02-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Keep an eye on the Toros/D-Fenders game that start in a little less than 3 hours. If Malcolm Thomas or one of the Toros' bigs doesn't play in that game, there is a good chance Spurs have called him up.

maverick1948
02-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Give a 10 day to Leo Lyons of the Austin Toros. He is having another good season down there. 6-9 240. PF. 16.5 pts 8.5 reb 51.4 fg% 79.8 FT% 33% from 3pt

Give the kid a chance Who knows he might be another Gary Neal-Danny Green find.

timvp
02-18-2012, 07:03 PM
My money is on Malcolm Thomas for a ten-day contract. But maybe Lyons or a placeholder vet like Etan Thomas or Melvin Ely.

ElNono
02-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Time to dust off that Tony for Dwight thread

loveforthegame
02-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Whoever they sign I don't see Pop trusting them enough to play them a couple minutes to rest the others. He'd rather run Duncan, Bonner, and Blair into the ground before doing that.

ElNono
02-18-2012, 07:21 PM
elnono unban my other account

I'll do it monday.

MaNu4Tres
02-18-2012, 07:24 PM
They'll sign somebody but I'll be surprised if the addition is relevant.

Darkwaters
02-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Yep, Malcolm Thomas is scheduled to play in LA in a few hours. Once they had the diagnosis on Tiago I wonder if the Spurs dispatched someone to fetch him.

Darkwaters
02-18-2012, 07:26 PM
My money is on Malcolm Thomas for a ten-day contract. But maybe Lyons or a placeholder vet like Etan Thomas or Melvin Ely.

How much do you think Etan Thomas or Melvin Ely has to give at this point?

Of course, you have to throw out a call to the white whale, Przybilla. And maybe even call Fesenko (although, hes got a bit of a bidding war going and might not be as cheap as we'd like).

jjktkk
02-18-2012, 07:27 PM

Kinda strange that no team has even looked at Thomas this year.

Darkwaters
02-18-2012, 07:28 PM
I opened the Toros website and the first thing I saw was a headline saying "Thomas signs 10 Day Contract with the Hornets" and I immediately thought, "no way, the Hornets poached Thomas away from us?!"

Then I remembered that Malcolm Thomas doesn't play for the Toros anymore, but for the D-Fenders. It was Lance Thomas that got the call apparently. From the Hornets at least.

GSH
02-18-2012, 07:34 PM

Or shudder Mikki Moore.

DPG21920
02-18-2012, 07:36 PM
If the Spurs sign Moore, I'm done.

MaNu4Tres
02-18-2012, 07:39 PM
(IMO)Spurs won't fully commit guaranteed money to any bottom of the barrel free agent right now (Ely, Etan Thomas, Gadzuric, Fesenko,ect) because they don't want to use up the part of the MLE they have available until the trade-deadline/buy out market is over with. (*Unless there's a quality free agent out there like a Kenyon Martin, but that ship has sailed.)

With that being said, Spurs will likely sign a D-League player (like Thomas) to a 10 day contract and repeat that process until Splitter gets back.

Given the situation, I doubt this D-League 10 day signing will get quality run. So expect Leonard's minutes to increase, along with small ball.

maverick1948
02-18-2012, 07:59 PM
He will need to give us about 15 mins a game. Duncan will go for 33 if he does.

TDMVPDPOY
02-18-2012, 07:59 PM
antoine walker anyone? he can spread the floor to half court and play no lick of defense and rebound

jjktkk
02-18-2012, 08:02 PM
(IMO)Spurs won't fully commit guaranteed money to any bottom of the barrel free agent right now (Ely, Etan Thomas, Gadzuric, Fesenko,ect) because they don't want to use up the part of the MLE they have available until the trade-deadline/buy out market is over with. (*Unless there's a quality free agent out there like a Kenyon Martin, but that ship has sailed.)

With that being said, Spurs will likely sign a D-League player (like Thomas) to a 10 day contract and repeat that process until Splitter gets back.

Given the situation, I doubt this D-League 10 day signing will get quality run. So expect Leonard's minutes to increase, along with small ball.

Great post. In limited minutes, I actually think Leonard will play well at the 4.

WeNeedLength
02-18-2012, 08:03 PM
antoine walker anyone? he can spread the floor to half court and play no lick of defense and rebound

http://www.gowherehiphop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/antoine-walker-shimmy.gif

Darkwaters
02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Wasn't Greg Ostertag tearing it up in the D-League recently?

Solid D
02-18-2012, 08:29 PM

I was kind of thinking Eric Dawson.

spurtech09
02-18-2012, 08:31 PM
With injuries to Tiago and Manu, is there any chance the Spurs bring in another player and who could they sign?well I just hope Tiago is able to play...as for Manu....things don't look good for him:(

Darkwaters
02-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Eric Dawson Returns to Austin Toros
AUSTIN, TX February 9, 2012 – The Toros have reacquired forward Eric Dawson, it was announced today. Dawson will make the trip with the team to RGV for back to back games on Friday and Saturday at State Farm Arena in McAllen, Texas. Omar Reed was waived as a result.

Dawson’s history with the Toros dates back to his first D-League season in 2007-08. Most recently, Dawson (6-9, 250, Midwestern) started in 11 of 13 games played this season averaging 16 points and 10 rebounds in 30 minutes. Fans can watch Dawson and the Toros on Futurecast, the D-League’s free ticket to all the action at nba.com/futurecast. Both games start at 7:00p.m. CST.

The Toros are on an extended road trip for the next two weeks and will return to Cedar Park Center on Wednesday, February 22nd to face the Tulsa 66ers at 7:30p.m.

Darkwaters
02-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Heres the box on the last Toros game, including stats for Eric Dawson and Leo Lyons (two names I've heard mentioned): http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20120216/AUSBAK/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021100236#nbaGIboxscore

Libri
02-18-2012, 09:17 PM
http://www.gowherehiphop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/antoine-walker-shimmy.gif

Please no.

ace3g
02-18-2012, 09:42 PM
well Malcolm Thomas is starting tonight for the D-Fenders

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20120218/AUSLAD/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021100244

Cane
02-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Well its been a long time coming, but its time to unleash Weapon Y, especially after the Linsanity sensation thats been sweeping the nation :greedy:greedy:greedy

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-k6tq9NC-cQ/TMcppgJ4zKI/AAAAAAAABrM/n-t_D40c-pw/s1600/Yao_Weapon_Y.jpg

dylankerouac
02-18-2012, 10:01 PM

Oh right, this could happen, though I hope this isn't what Pop does.

With no practices this season bringing in Thomas might open up Kawhi's offensive game. This would allow the rest of the team to see some of Kawhi's offensive game and other players can see the best ways to set up Leonard for a score. I really hope Pop finds someone not on the current roster to fill those minutes.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Oh right, this could happen, though I hope this isn't what Pop does.

With no practices this season bringing in Thomas might open up Kawhi's offensive game. This would allow the rest of the team to see some of Kawhi's offensive game and other players can see the best ways to set up Leonard for a score. I really hope Pop finds someone not on the current roster to fill those minutes.

Offense isn't the problem. We have ~28 minutes of Tim, and Matt Bonner and Blair to hold off Milsap, Jefferson, Kanter, and Favors next game.

rascal
02-18-2012, 10:49 PM
It will be a 10 day contract scrub fill in.

TDMVPDPOY
02-18-2012, 10:51 PM
we have a real opportunity to win a ring this year with the west wide open

yet this fo continue to be a cheap ass

Phenomanul
02-18-2012, 10:56 PM
McDyess for half a season?

GSH
02-18-2012, 11:04 PM
well Malcolm Thomas is starting tonight for the D-Fenders

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20120218/AUSLAD/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021100244

See - this is why I hate trying to figure out D-League players. I pulled up the stats on Elijah Millsap (also with the D-Fenders). It's hard to believe that he couldn't get solid minutes with an NBA team, looking at those stats. But there he sits.
http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/elijah_millsap/

I know it doesn't have anything to do with our big man situation. Except that trying to figure out what big man could work here by looking at D-League numbers is pretty unlikely.

TD 21
02-18-2012, 11:40 PM

I guess they want to respect his decision. But it couldn't hurt to at least give him a call. In the unlikely event he would be willing to come back, that could change their plans going into the deadline (they probably won't do anything anyway, other than maybe trade Anderson).

He wasn't all that good last season and after this much time off, would obviously be extremely rusty. Even if tomorrow he agreed to it and trained for a couple of weeks before joining the team, he'd still be grossly out of shape. But if he played the final two months, he'd probably just be hitting his stride come playoff time. And let's face it, he's still probably better than anyone they get.

Short of that, Benson made sense to try out as a fifth big anyway, but now he doubly does. Another option is N'diaye. Knowing how they operate, if they go with a center, it'll probably be one that has none of their physical attributes, such as Butch or Cousin. Or it'll be some undersized power forward.

dylankerouac
02-18-2012, 11:54 PM
If the Spurs don't pick someone up I think the opposing teams are going to bully Duncan since he will be holding it down by himself. I don't think Leonard provides enough physically to provide anything similar to Duncan and Splitter's post presence.

That's a lot of work to put on Duncan, and we're talking about the regular season after last year's meltdown. Introducing someone new may help the team to keep focus of what they're trying to do.

dylankerouac
02-18-2012, 11:54 PM
If the Spurs don't pick someone up I think the opposing teams are going to bully Duncan since he will be holding it down by himself. I don't think Leonard provides enough physically to provide anything similar to Duncan and Splitter's post presence.

That's a lot of work to put on Duncan, and we're talking about the regular season after last year's meltdown. Introducing someone new may help the team to keep focus of what they're trying to do.

timvp
02-19-2012, 12:17 AM

You may be on to something . . . .

underdawg
02-19-2012, 12:19 AM
See - this is why I hate trying to figure out D-League players. I pulled up the stats on Elijah Millsap (also with the D-Fenders). It's hard to believe that he couldn't get solid minutes with an NBA team, looking at those stats. But there he sits.
http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/elijah_millsap/

I know it doesn't have anything to do with our big man situation. Except that trying to figure out what big man could work here by looking at D-League numbers is pretty unlikely.

If it's any consolation, he's one of the top 10 "call-up" prospects:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/prospect_watch_archive_201112.html

As stated earlier, Eric Dawson should possibly get a shot - he's consistent on D and rebounding

Marcus Cousin is back in the US recovering from surgery in December - says he 85%

Someone mentioned Hamady Ndaiaye before, but I don't know much about him other than he's a thin 7 footer.

Hopefully, the FO is able to find a vet but I'd hope they would at least bring up Lyons or Dawson in the meantime. At this point, given the big man shortage in the NBA you have to wonder about the condition of the vets remaining and why they're still available.

Teams that could be trade targets for bigs - Washington, Minnesota, Utah or Toronto. We know that the Spurs don't have much to offer, but if they can find a trade partner that's shooting for cap advantages next year - that could be their only hope. There's still a trade exception of 1.2 million for Hill (not much but it's something)- correct?

timvp
02-19-2012, 01:31 AM

:smokin

Ice009
02-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Was Eric Dawson on the Spurs Summer League team last year, the one Gary Neal was on?

If it was the same guy I am thinking about, I thought he was decent. The one game against the Clippers SL team, the Spurs beat them with solid play and overall teamwork. I thought DeAndre Jordan would give our no name bigs lots of trouble, but he looked like a total scrub during that game. Dawson was solid.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Dawson is an undersized center who is performing quite consistently in the first season he's been fully healthy in Austin. Strong but not very athletic. Good rebounder, so-so defense, good for a block or two a game. Not many moves on the block. Can hit jumpers from the key.

Lyons has been a perimeter PF most of his time on the Toros but has moved inside lately since Lance Thomas was called up, and his scoring and rebounding improved dramatically. Looks thinner than 240. Only a fair defender. Average athlete. Has three point range.

Bruno
02-19-2012, 07:42 AM
If Eric Dawson is the one called up, it would be a nice story like Squeaky Johnson being called up. Even if he has had some stints overseas, Dawson has been in Spurs/Toros pipeline for five years. Perseverance sometimes pays off...

Redshadows
02-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Not NBDL players, please.
Etan Thomas or Melvin Ely.

TJastal
02-19-2012, 08:57 AM

McDyess takes a half a season to get in game shape. No.

Bruno
02-19-2012, 09:23 AM
There are three separate issues regarding Spurs bigmen:
- First, there is an emergency situation. Spurs will play tomorrow against Utah, a frontcourt oriented team, followed by a b2b @Portland with only 3 healthy bigs.
- Second, Spurs have only 4 bigs on their roster. They lack of depth even when everyone is healthy.
- Third, Blair sucks as a starting PF.

To solve the first issue, Spurs need a bigman who is available right now. Availability is a crucial part of the decision process. A D-League player with a 10 days contract seems like a good way to solve that emergency crisis.
To solve the second issue, Spurs should start looking at the FA vet bigs market and do some workouts.
The third issue is the hardest to solve. A trade or a good player waived by a lottery team are possibilities but are somewhat long-shots.

urunobili
02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Mikki Moore?

WeNeedLength
02-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Mikki Moore?

He's averaging 10 pts, 9 rebs for the Idaho Stampede D-league team. Obviously wouldn't do that on the Spurs but for an emergency situation I would say do it!

Beaverfuzz
02-19-2012, 02:23 PM
White gorilla przybilla baby!!! Woo hoo!!!!!

maverick1948
02-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Looking ahead on the schedule, I see 3 games till the AS break. After the break, we have 3 games in the first 7 days. Back to back 10 day contracts gets us a total of 7 games. How do we handle the injury situation? Who is available? What can they bring to the table?

I dont see any player in the FA market that would be ready to contribute to the Spurs. Only a trade would satisfy our needs. As of right now, I see NO team offering us a good deal on a usable big without wanting too much in return. According to the CBA, we can have the same number of 10 day contracts as players on the inactive list. That would be 2. With no FA or trade available, we have only one other option. D-league.

3 names come to the front as possible alternatives. First, Malcolm Thomas, second and third, Leo Lyons and Eric Dawson.

Thomas has been on the Spurs roster. 6'9 225 He got little time on the court and little practice time. We know a few things about him. He can block shots of average players. He can score and rebound better in an open system but can also play in the rigid system Pop requires. He has shown life in the DLeague.

Eric Dawson, 6'9 250, has been in the Dleague 5 years with no outstanding seasons until this season. He is averaging 16 and 9, but this comes with a bad break when he missed from Jan 19 to Feb 10. He has played only 5 games since returning. If this was an injury, do we take a chance and hope he is healthy?

Leo Lyons 6'9 240, is a 2nd year dleaguer. He is averaging 16.5 and 8.5 this season. He can play inside and outside. He's defense is average but serviceable. He has been on the Toros for 56 games. He has the exposure to the system at that level and the teachings of the staff there. He has not missed any time with an injury. His biggest knock came in college as he was suspended a couple of times. He seems to have overcome the attitude problem.

What I think we should do is sign one or even two of these players to 1 10 day contract and give them time to play and PRACTICE with the team during the AS break. If one outshines the other give him the second 10 day contract. Then if we need more time for Splitter to heal, we have a player we can sign to an additional 10 day contract who has played and practiced with the team.

At that point, the trade deadline will have passed and we will either make a trade or stand pat as we are.

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Steve Novak?

:)

ducks
02-19-2012, 03:12 PM
he would be great

maverick1948
02-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Kovac is a Knick and NOT available.

Kori Ellis
02-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Eric Dawson, 6'9 250, has been in the Dleague 5 years with no outstanding seasons until this season. He is averaging 16 and 9, but this comes with a bad break when he missed from Jan 19 to Feb 10. He has played only 5 games since returning. If this was an injury, do we take a chance and hope he is healthy?

It wasn't an injury. He signed a contract overseas (Slovenia) and then for some reason, he failed to report to their team -- I'm not sure of the details behind that. Then he came back to the D League.

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Kovac is a Knick and NOT available.

Really?

maverick1948
02-19-2012, 03:27 PM
It wasn't an injury. He signed a contract overseas (Slovenia) and then for some reason, he failed to report to their team -- I'm not sure of the details behind that. Then he came back to the D League.

Thanks Kori

That means he could well be an option for POP. All three could be playing in LA right now.

Bruno
02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I guess the story behind Dawson not going to Slovenia was a financial one. the team that wanted him had deep trouble sooner this year. Most of their players, including Davis Bertans, left because they weren't paid. Dawson likely got cold feet by not receiving enough financial guarantees that they have the money to pay him.

Bruno
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
After looking on twitter, it looks like Eric Dawson will be indeed the player Spurs will sign.

Darkwaters
02-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Good to hear. I'm glad Dawson is going to get some burn.

Bruno is right, after 5 years in Austin, this makes for a nice feel-good story.

timvp
02-19-2012, 08:10 PM

After looking on twitter, it looks like Eric Dawson will be indeed the player Spurs will sign.

DPG21920
02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Meh.

kuato
02-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Scolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

loveforthegame
02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Hopefully he gets some burn but I doubt it.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Hopefully he gets some burn but I doubt it.

:lol How can he NOT? We only have three bigs, and Austin runs our system, so he should know the plays.

loveforthegame
02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
:lol How can he NOT? We only have three bigs, and Austin runs our system, so he should know the plays.

Do you really expect Pop to play him? I don't when he can ride Bonner and Blair instead.

I'm always hoping Pop will give some of these guys burn whether it's for a minute or two rest for someone or for fouls. But how often does Pop play these call ups?

I hope to be proven wrong but I'm just not expecting Pop to change.

GSH
02-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Do you really expect Pop to play him? I don't when he can ride Bonner and Blair instead.

I'm always hoping Pop will give some of these guys burn whether it's for a minute or two rest for someone or for fouls. But how often does Pop play these call ups?

I hope to be proven wrong but I'm just not expecting Pop to change.

He's played young guys more this season than any time I can remember. You never know. As thin as they are he might see some action - especially with Utah and Portland next up on the menu. Pop might want to get a look at them sooner rather than later.

I read an interview today with a couple of the Knicks' FO guys, and they said that just a few weeks ago they seriously considered waiving Jeremy Lin. And that if Baron Davis had been able to come back from his injury a little quicker, they would almost certainly have cut him. I also saw this article that questions how effectively teams are able to evaluate talent. wired.com.link (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/what-jeremy-lin-teaches-us-about-talent/) It draws too heavily on the NFL, unfortunately, but there is some validity. The one thing I'm convinced of - nobody really knows which one(s) of these D-League standouts could get minutes in the NBA, and which couldn't, until they actually seem them in some games.

We aren't going to get a starting big from the D-League. But a guy who could give us a good 12 minutes, play some D, and pull down some boards? I think it's possible. But there's no way of knowing unless the guy gets court time. I hope you're wrong about Pop not giving him the opportunity.

underdawg
02-19-2012, 10:16 PM
He's played young guys more this season than any time I can remember. You never know. As thin as they are he might see some action - especially with Utah and Portland next up on the menu. Pop might want to get a look at them sooner rather than later.

I read an interview today with a couple of the Knicks' FO guys, and they said that just a few weeks ago they seriously considered waiving Jeremy Lin. And that if Baron Davis had been able to come back from his injury a little quicker, they would almost certainly have cut him. I also saw this article that questions how effectively teams are able to evaluate talent. wired.com.link (http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/what-jeremy-lin-teaches-us-about-talent/) It draws too heavily on the NFL, unfortunately, but there is some validity. The one thing I'm convinced of - nobody really knows which one(s) of these D-League standouts could get minutes in the NBA, and which couldn't, until they actually seem them in some games.

We aren't going to get a starting big from the D-League. But a guy who could give us a good 12 minutes, play some D, and pull down some boards? I think it's possible. But there's no way of knowing unless the guy gets court time. I hope you're wrong about Pop not giving him the opportunity.
I hope Dawson gets some decent pt - I don't think he'll wow anyone, but he should be useful for rebounding and protecting the paint some.
Since Manu's going to be out for a bit, I'd like to see the Spurs give a 10 day to Manny Harris of Canton. Other than Manu and TP, the Spurs don't really have a player that can drive to the rim and pick up fouls. Harris looks like he's that kind of player and maybe it could translate in the nba - it could be worth a chance.

maverick1948
02-19-2012, 11:03 PM
If we need another point guard, we should only look to Austin again. Justin Dentmon would suit me just fine. I have watched him several times this season and he can handle the ball. He is a little raw but he would work fine with the vets.

Solid D
02-19-2012, 11:36 PM
'just feeling' it. That's all. No inside info. :smokin

Maybe Eric will get more time to help the team than Malcolm got.

The Truth #6
02-20-2012, 01:28 AM
5 years in the D League? I wouldn't call that "upside". Of course, hopefully he plays well, but really...I can't see him even playing. I much more expect small ball and/or Pop to give more minutes to Blair. I can't see Pop trusting a 5 year D leaguer who didn't go through training camp over one of his own 3rd year players.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-20-2012, 01:58 AM
5 years in the D League? I wouldn't call that "upside". Of course, hopefully he plays well, but really...I can't see him even playing. I much more expect small ball and/or Pop to give more minutes to Blair. I can't see Pop trusting a 5 year D leaguer who didn't go through training camp over one of his own 3rd year players.

Upside? Who needs fucking upside? We need a large warm body for about 20 minutes a game for a week or two.

bigfan
02-20-2012, 10:47 AM
I sure wish I understood why we dont give Javtokas another look. He's just 31 and might be ready to handle the load now.

JP le Requin
02-20-2012, 10:57 AM
elton brand may be available..because 76ers may amnystied him...