PDA

View Full Version : Pls explain how Duncan is able to elevate the Spurs

ChrisRichards
02-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Yet under Kobe's leadership, the Lakers are sinking fast?

The Lakers are a much more talented team. They have Gasol and Bynum who are better than Splitter and DeJuan Blair. I'd like to believe that Matt Barnes is a better player than Kawhi Leonard. Though Tony Parker and Neal are better than any Lakers PG/SG but Ginobili's absence at least even things out for the Lakers considering they have Kobe Bryant who is leading the league in scoring by shooting a bit much for my taste.

Kobe finally earned my respect last month but the man has been shooting a league high 24 FGA and a league low 37% for the month of February to get his 28 PPG so I feel a bit stupid now for defending him. I guess a leopard can't change its spots, and Kobe being a high volume shooter/chucker proves that he'll always be an overrated scorer in league history.

Anyway, I know Duncan has not been an All Star performer this year but it seems like his presence on the court brings a lot more value to his team despite of what boxscores suggests. Tonight is a prime example. Duncan shot aweful but he controlled the paint by grabbing 13 boards and keeping Deandre Jordan in check. Kobe could score 30 a game but his team suffers in return.

This is my short but very unbias assessment. Lakers, Spurs fans. Please chime in and give us your perspective.

Thanks,

Giuseppe
02-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Fine,,,

Kobe: 5

tired old shit bag Duncan: 4

DUNCAN: 1

ChrisRichards
02-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Anyone else, besides Cap'n Crunch here?

Giuseppe
02-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Please. My shit is the only thing that matters. You Spurs fans always gettin' your jollies with the bells & whistles. It don't mean shit.

pass1st
02-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Explain how a 1st seed gets buttraped by an 8th seed.

Giuseppe
02-18-2012, 09:13 PM

Me & Pass, Shoulder-to-Shoulder. Mother withstanding.

GB20
02-18-2012, 09:34 PM

i want to see how Kobe does playing with a broken arm against last year Memphis's team in the first round. what do you think pass1st, could the lakers had beaten memphis?

DeadlyDynasty
02-18-2012, 09:38 PM
i want to see how Kobe does playing with a broken arm against last year Memphis's team in the first round. what do you think pass1st, could the lakers had beaten memphis?

Because a healthy Manu stops two lard-asses from taking a wet shit all over Duncan...

Arcadian
02-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Yet under Kobe's leadership, the Lakers are sinking fast?

The Lakers are a much more talented team. They have Gasol and Bynum who are better than Splitter and DeJuan Blair. I'd like to believe that Matt Barnes is a better player than Kawhi Leonard. Though Tony Parker and Neal are better than any Lakers PG/SG but Ginobili's absence at least even things out for the Lakers considering they have Kobe Bryant who is leading the league in scoring by shooting a bit much for my taste.

Kobe finally earned my respect last month but the man has been shooting a league high 24 FGA and a league low 37% for the month of February to get his 28 PPG so I feel a bit stupid now for defending him. I guess a leopard can't change its spots, and Kobe being a high volume shooter/chucker proves that he'll always be an overrated scorer in league history.

Anyway, I know Duncan has not been an All Star performer this year but it seems like his presence on the court brings a lot more value to his team despite of what boxscores suggests. Tonight is a prime example. Duncan shot aweful but he controlled the paint by grabbing 13 boards and keeping Deandre Jordan in check. Kobe could score 30 a game but his team suffers in return.

This is my short but very unbias assessment. Lakers, Spurs fans. Please chime in and give us your perspective.

Thanks,

I like the way you think! I agree completely.

Giuseppe
02-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Because a healthy Manu stops two lard-asses from taking a wet shit all over Duncan...

And aside from EC I like the way he thinks.

GB20
02-18-2012, 09:51 PM

ginobli got hurt two days before the playoff started and pop could not adjust without his best player out against the hottest team in the NBA last year.

pass1st
02-18-2012, 09:53 PM

Explain and I'll gladly answer

JamStone
02-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Kobe has always been a selfish chucker and volume scorer. I don't see why he would change now.

I will say this about about Kobe's high FGAs this season. When people criticize that he's taking away shots from Pau and Bynum, it's short sighted. Pau is averaging almost exactly the same amount of FGA as last season and slightly more than he has since he's become a Laker. Bynum is averaging the most FGA in his career, almost 5 more shots than last season. Kobe isn't necessarily taking shots away from Pau and Bynum. With the loss of Odom and Shannon Brown, he's making up for their scoring. He's taking away shots from guys like World Peace and Fisher. And that's probably a good thing. After Kobe, Pau, and Bynum, the rest of the Lakers are a sorry bunch of offensive players.

DPG21920
02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Jam, those additional shots should be going to Bynum and Pau. So even though Pau is getting his avg shot attempts and Bynum is getting more because of more minutes, they should be even higher; it shouldn't just be Kobe's fg attempts making up for Odom's absence.

midnightpulp
02-18-2012, 10:11 PM
He's simply a better all-around basketball player than Kirby.

Proxy
02-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Both players can elevate their teams in signature fashion at this point in their respective careers. Kobe hasn't lost as much as Timmy, but they're both mortal now.

Giuseppe
02-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Both players can elevate their teams in signature fashion at this point in their respective careers. Kobe hasn't lost as much as Timmy, but they're both mortal now.

...all that remains is cogently stated in Post #2.

Kewni Leonard
02-19-2012, 09:24 AM
What is there to explain? Duncan has, and always will be better than Kobe, without question.

Rummpd
02-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Kobe is shooting about 41% the last ten games and if he does not get more efficient or feed the bigs more (or the Lakers acquire a true PG with skill) Lakers are not going to win the West. However if he gets on a roll watch out in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Duncan (whose PER of 21.38 is not far behind top centers in the West) is not shooting well this year and that is one part of his game he can elevate [and needs to if Spurs to stay near the top of the West or have a chance to win]. He has been getting a lot of double doubles but cannot turn it on as consistently as Bryant these days and it is Parker really carrying the Spurs.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/215/tim-duncan

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/110/kobe-bryant

Black&Silver
02-19-2012, 09:36 AM
if you wouldnt trade duncan for kobe straight up you are delusional.

mercos
02-19-2012, 09:54 AM
The two teams fates are not tied to Duncan and Kobe at the moment. The Spurs are being led by Tony Parker this year. He has far and away been the team's MVP. The Lakers struggles have not been due to Kobe, they have been due to a lack of depth and athleticism. The Lakers are weak at the point guard position, and right now we are in the golden era of point guards. Not a good time to be weak in that area when night in and night out you are facing elite competition. The Spurs have a better record than the Lakers right now mostly due to their vastly superior bench.

ChrisRichards
02-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Kobe has always been a selfish chucker and volume scorer. I don't see why he would change now.

I will say this about about Kobe's high FGAs this season. When people criticize that he's taking away shots from Pau and Bynum, it's short sighted. Pau is averaging almost exactly the same amount of FGA as last season and slightly more than he has since he's become a Laker. Bynum is averaging the most FGA in his career, almost 5 more shots than last season. Kobe isn't necessarily taking shots away from Pau and Bynum. With the loss of Odom and Shannon Brown, he's making up for their scoring. He's taking away shots from guys like World Peace and Fisher. And that's probably a good thing. After Kobe, Pau, and Bynum, the rest of the Lakers are a sorry bunch of offensive players.

I think their role players could use a few more touches. The rest of the Lakers offense are stagnant simply because Kobe is ball dominant and its hard to get rhythm when you shoot once in every 12 possessions. Matt Barnes, Troy Murphy, Steve Blake and even, dare I say it, Fisher are all rhythm players. They need a few shots to get it going. Its no secret when they get a lot of touches, these players delivers. Case in point, Fisher beating the Mavericks last month by hitting clutch shots one after another.

What I see lately with the Lakers is the distribution of shots are so unbalanced. In a typical 12 possession offensive stretch, Kobe shoots 6 times, Bynum and Gasol shoots 4 times combined, so this leaves the rest of the team a chance to shoot twice, when Gasol is on the bench, Kobe becomes a lot more aggressive. So we can imagine why the rest of the role players couldn't hit a jumper even if their life depends on it.

Jam, those additional shots should be going to Bynum and Pau. So even though Pau is getting his avg shot attempts and Bynum is getting more because of more minutes, they should be even higher; it shouldn't just be Kobe's fg attempts making up for Odom's absence.

Bingo! Bynum has shown he can be a consistent 20 point scorer given a chance. But he barely cracks 16ppg because of his lack of touches.

ChrisRichards
02-19-2012, 09:59 AM
The two teams fates are not tied to Duncan and Kobe at the moment. The Spurs are being led by Tony Parker this year. He has far and away been the team's MVP. The Lakers struggles have not been due to Kobe, they have been due to a lack of depth and athleticism. The Lakers are weak at the point guard position, and right now we are in the golden era of point guards. Not a good time to be weak in that area when night in and night out you are facing elite competition. The Spurs have a better record than the Lakers right now mostly due to their vastly superior bench.

While this is partially true, I have reasons to believe that if Duncan goes down, the Spurs may be -2 or 3 in the win column. If Kobe goes down, I think the Lakers will stay on course if not, they may even snag a few more W's simply because the offense will run better.

Eddie Murphy
02-19-2012, 10:00 AM
alotta stupid mothafuckras itt

mercos
02-19-2012, 10:10 AM
While this is partially true, I have reasons to believe that if Duncan goes down, the Spurs may be -2 or 3 in the win column. If Kobe goes down, I think the Lakers will stay on course if not, they may even snag a few more W's simply because the offense will run better.

The Spurs would suffer without Duncan, but they had Splitter to back him up and he has shown more efficiency in the low post than Duncan has. Take Kobe away from the Lakers and they have no backcourt scoring. Having two bigs is nice, but if you have no 3 point shooting to keep the defense honest they would just collapse the paint and double Bynum and Gasol every time they touched the ball. Right now the Lakers would be a lottery team without Kobe.

ChrisRichards
02-19-2012, 10:13 AM
The Spurs would suffer without Duncan, but they had Splitter to back him up and he has shown more efficiency in the low post than Duncan has. Take Kobe away from the Lakers and they have no backcourt scoring. Having two bigs is nice, but if you have no 3 point shooting to keep the defense honest they would just collapse the paint and double Bynum and Gasol every time they touched the ball. Right now the Lakers would be a lottery team without Kobe.

Goudelock has shown he can be a reliable scorer. He was averaging around 10 pointe per contest in a very liited role. I see the Lakers staying alfloat in the West despite of Kobe's absence. 76ers and the Nuggets before Gallinari went down, were prime examples this year that teams without a 30 ppg scorer can win.

Kewni Leonard
02-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Kobe fans = casual fans that know little-to-nothing about the game.

Giuseppe
02-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I know one thing:::

UNCAN: 1

WeNeedLength
02-19-2012, 10:59 AM
I know one thing:::

UNCAN: 1

Can I make it onto this list? A nice "WNL: 4" would suffice.

Giuseppe
02-19-2012, 11:00 AM
^the shit bag represents all of you Spurs fellows.

WeNeedLength
02-19-2012, 11:03 AM
^the shit bag represents all of you Spurs fellows.

It's just so boring I thought I could liven it up is all.

Continue your boring shtick ya damn parrot...

:blah

Oh and you're going to get crushed in Round 3 of the contest, just a heads up. :lol

Giuseppe
02-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Oh and you're going to get crushed in Round 3 of the contest, just a heads up. :lol

I'm not going to play unless The Princess puts up a virtual kiss as the prize.

WeNeedLength
02-19-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm not going to play unless The Princess puts up a virtual kiss as the prize.

Weak.

ChrisRichards
02-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Giuseppe, who pissed in your wheaties this morning?

Giuseppe
02-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I woke up on the wrong side of the couch.

dbreiden83080
02-19-2012, 11:54 AM
No Phil Jackson..

Inmates running the asylum..

Giuseppe
02-19-2012, 11:55 AM
..though it was Pop who had to pine shine Duncan to get him to act like somebody.

WeNeedLength
02-19-2012, 12:17 PM
..though it was Pop who had to pine shine Duncan to get him to act like somebody.

This is one of your weakest lines tbh...

Killakobe81
02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Maybe your trolling, but if not this is a dumbass thread ...Parker pis doing all the elevating on the Spurs

Giuseppe
02-19-2012, 12:21 PM

...I don't have the benefit of Media marking the spot before I did. There ain't no % in south Texas like there is in Los Angeles.

Leetonidas
02-19-2012, 12:21 PM

Yeah tbh pretty weak coming from Cubby he briefly regained form and has one again devolved into parroting :depressed

Giuseppe
02-19-2012, 12:23 PM
^You should go and cry to the MVP's, or the EC, Lee. Seein' how it's gettin' on to month's end and all.

DAF86
02-19-2012, 12:28 PM
if you wouldnt trade duncan for kobe straight up you are delusional.

If the Spurs trade Duncan for Kobe straight up, they become a worse team.

Kewni Leonard
02-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Maybe your trolling, but if not this is a dumbass thread ...Parker pis doing all the elevating on the Spurs

You are right. Tim Duncan does not have a PER of 21+ at age 35.

Killakobe81
02-19-2012, 12:44 PM
You are right. Tim Duncan does not have a PER of 21+ at age 35.

How about u elevate the quality of your posts? Duncan's a great leader and props on the per, but Tony still leading this win streak

Bonner4MVPzz
02-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Kobe fanbois- "Thats not true :("

Kewni Leonard
02-19-2012, 12:52 PM
How about u elevate the quality of your posts? Duncan's a great leader and props on the per, but Tony still leading this win streak

You are right. Tim Duncan is not the defensive anchor of this team. Tony Parker is. He is a defensive stopper.

Leetonidas
02-19-2012, 01:51 PM
^You should go and cry to the MVP's, or the EC, Lee. Seein' how it's gettin' on to month's end and all.

Only pussies & assholes cry to the EC

Giuseppe
02-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Only pussies & assholes cry to the EC

UNCAN comes to mind.