PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Clippers - Feb. 18

timvp
02-18-2012, 11:26 PM
What a strange game. At the end of the day, the Spurs escaped with a 103-100 overtime victory. However, the events leading up to that final score were odd, to say the least.

At first, nothing was going right for San Antonio. They didn't score until nearly four minutes into the game. To make matters worse, Tiago Splitter was forced out of the game early on with a calf strain. Before the Spurs could blink, they were down by 13 points.

The Clippers led by 10 points, 38-28, with six minutes to go in the second quarter when the Spurs began their run. In the next ten minutes and 40 seconds, the Spurs absolutely exploded -- outscoring L.A. 37-12 to take a 15-point lead. But the Clippers came roaring right back, going on a 17-0 run in less than four and a half minutes to take a two-point lead.

The Spurs then got eight straight points from Gary Neal to take a six-point lead -- but in the meantime lost Manu Ginobili to an oblique injury. Both teams traded knockout punches the rest of the way until it appeared as if the Clippers had finally put the Spurs away. But with less than ten seconds remaining, Chris Paul had a bizarre turnover that led to a three-pointer by Neal to send the game into overtime.

In overtime, San Antonio's defense tightened and the Spurs got a pair of huge three-pointers by Neal and Matt Bonner. Finally, following a Chris Paul miss, the Spurs had secured their tenth straight win.

All in all, the win was great. Strange but great. The injuries, though, put a damper on the excitement of the ten-game win streak. Let's hope Ginobili and Splitter can return soon ... and that the Spurs can get No. 11 Monday night in Salt Lake City.

http://oi39.tinypic.com/jkj513.jpg

http://oi40.tinypic.com/16b0gea.jpg

Tim Duncan B
Offensively, Tim Duncan couldn't get anything going. He was impotent on the low block; only one of his five baskets came in the paint. Even when posting up on smaller players, Duncan rarely had any success. However, he finished without a turnover did make good passes on the offensive end -- including a huge one to Neal in the overtime session. Defensively, Duncan was a lot better. While he struggled at times against the pick-and-roll, he defended well individually and quickly rotated to protect the rim. The area where Duncan really shined was on the glass. Amazingly, the 35-year-old has the best defensive rebounding percentage of his career this year and he pulled down a number of huge boards on both ends today.

Tony Parker A+
Sure, Tony Parker didn't always run the smoothest show. He missed some easy shots, forced a couple questionable attempts and bungled a few plays. But overall, given the circumstances, I thought he was fantastic. The Clippers pressured him throughout with various defenders and schemes. Once he got into the lane, he had to deal with their athletic shotblockers. Along the way, he lost his star backcourt partner (Ginobili) and his pick-and-roll sidekick (Splitter) but kept his intensity high and fought for 45 minutes. Limiting the turnovers -- both for himself and the team -- was a key reason why the Spurs were able to come away with the win. Defensively, he did really good work against Randy Foye after Foye erupted in the third quarter. Parker became the first player this season to have back-to-back 30-point, 10-assist games; it's the second time in his career he's accomplished that feat.

Manu Ginobili D
Manu Ginobili never looked right. Defensively, he couldn't stay in front of his man and wasn't getting around screens. On offense, it seemed like he didn't want the ball. As it turns out, Ginobili was dealing with an oblique injury. There's even talk that it was bothering him heading into this game, which would obviously explain his struggles.

Danny Green A
The unsung hero of this game was undoubtedly Danny Green. He defended Chris Paul for the vast majority of the game and did an outstanding job. Green pressured Paul starting in the backcourt and never let up. Although he wasn't always able to stay in front of his man, Green used his length to disrupt the Clippers superstar point guard. Paul's sub par statistical line is a direct result of Green's play on that end. After going through a stretch of uneven defensive play, this was by far the best defense we've seen out of Green in a long time. Offensively, it appears as if his shot is coming around. Over his last four games, he's 52% from the field and 53.3% on three-pointers.

Richard Jefferson D
The good: Richard Jefferson had a block that led to a layup to finally get the Spurs on the board in the first quarter. The bad: basically the rest of his time on the court. Defensively, he spent most of his time watching players drive around him or shoot over him. Even though he played minutes at power forward, Jefferson didn't help on the boards. On offense, he hit an open three in the beginning of the third quarter but that was about it. No drives to the basket or anything else that helped the team.

DeJuan Blair B-
In the first few minutes, DeJuan Blair was awful. His play earned him a quick benching. But once he came back in, I thought Blair played a lot better. He was more assertive and more physical on the offensive end. In addition to his scoring, he also made a couple good passes out of the low block. Defensively, after the slow start, he was actually pretty darn good. Out of everyone on the team, he probably did the best work against Blake Griffin. Unfortunately, a lot of his good defense went for naught because he wasn't pulling down any defensive boards. With Splitter out, Blair will have a chance to prove he's a capable bigman in the NBA. Honestly, it's been a while since he's looked capable.

Matt Bonner B
Speaking of slow starts, Griffin had Matt Bonner shell-shocked after the first handful of times Bonner attempted to defend Griffin. At first, the only thing Bonner did was pull up a front row seat to watch the Blake Griffin one-man dunk contest. But then Bonner eventually got the hang of it. By the end of the game, he was actually defending Griffin surprisingly well. Bonner also did a good job on the defensive glass and remained more active than usual on that end. Offensively, Bonner made the Clippers pay when they forgot about him. His three-pointer with two minutes remaining in overtime was one of the biggest shots he's hit all season. Expect Bonner to start and play a lot of minutes for as long as Splitter is sidelined with the calf strain.

Gary Neal B
In a strange game, Gary Neal was the strangest player. He was 0-for-6 on two-pointers ... but was 5-for-8 on three-pointers. He fumbled the ball away when the Spurs had a chance to tie late in the fourth … but found redemption with a three-pointer at the end of regulation when Paul accidentally threw the ball to him. He hit a gigantic three-pointer with 25 seconds remaining in overtime to put the Spurs up by three points … but then missed two free throws with eight seconds left -- either of which would have ended the game. On both sides of the court, Neal was an adventure. He seemed to be either doing something really good or really bad at any given moment. But at the end of the day, the 17 points he scored were huge and he hit enough momentous shots to classify his game as a success.

Kawhi Leonard B+
When Splitter left, Kawhi Leonard was forced into playing long stretches at power forward for the first time this season. For a young rookie, I thought he handled the sudden change of his role rather well. He defended the post with strength and didn't back down when challenged. In the fourth quarter and overtime, Pop used Leonard to defend pick-and-rolls and he mostly did very good work. However, Leonard did struggle in two areas: rebounding on the defensive end and shooting from the outside. Other than that, though, the 20-year-old did about as much as the Spurs could have fairly expected.

Tiago Splitter Inc.
Tiago Splitter has a history of calf strains so this latest injury is worrisome. If history is a guide, the backup center will miss at least a couple weeks. Hopefully he can get completely healthy and then get back to doing what he's been doing.

Pop A
The Spurs had multiple chances to fold yet they kept scratching and clawing. Pop did a great job of keeping the team focused at the task at hand while ignoring the fallen teammates. His decision to put Green on Paul was the coaching maneuver of the game. Starting Bonner in the second half worked out very well. Using Leonard as his defensive ace late in the game was another good decision. Giving Neal extended time ended up being smart. Honestly, I can't even nitpick this coaching performance; he did just about all he could to help the Spurs get the victory.

ElNono
02-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the writeup LJ

Kori Ellis
02-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Side note: Parker looked like he had been crying in the post game interview about Manu being out again. :lol It's like he thought he was finally get his partner (and some relief) back and then was deflated to lose him again.

Oh yeah, but those two hate each other.

Danny.Zhu
02-18-2012, 11:35 PM
thanks

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Lost in the shuffle was Neal's three after Blake Griffin's fast break dunk, Clips had a ton of momentum up until that shot

GSH
02-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Spurs' Team Defense A+

I had to listen to a lot of the game on the radio. But when the Spurs started out 0-for-everything, it was amazing that the score didn't get completely out of hand. But it was a direct result of getting a lot of defensive stops. I got to see the end on television, and the defense was a real team effort. In that regard, maybe the best I've seen all year. That shot clock violation that the Spurs caused near the close was a true work of art. Holding the Clippers to 40.4% for the game was, too.

I'm sure Bonner had enough up and down during the game to earn a B. But it sounded like it was him and Green that kept things afloat in the early going. And I also agree that he came up with some really good plays near the end to help put a cap on it. I'd take this Bonner in the playoffs, in a heartbeat.

Dex
02-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Chris Paul on the game-changing turnover:

"Probably the worst play I've been a part of since I've been in the NBA." :lmao

Take that, you little bitch. :ihit

dylankerouac
02-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the write-up Timvp.

Manufan909
02-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Wow, I can't believe not one Clipper recorded a block. I bet as a team they average around 10 BPG.

ElNono
02-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Side note: Parker looked like he had been crying in the post game interview about Manu being out again. :lol It's like he thought he was finally get his partner (and some relief) back and then was deflated to lose him again.

More of this coming up?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7201/6844720145_6c9eb3b5bb_z.jpg

romain.star
02-19-2012, 12:25 AM

link?

Kori Ellis
02-19-2012, 12:28 AM
link?

I saw it on TV, but I'm guessing it might be on Spurs.com later. Parker had really red eyes like he had been crying :lol (or maybe he got shampoo in them).

DieMrBond
02-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Kawhi Leonard B+
When Splitter left, Kawhi Leonard was forced into playing long stretches at power forward for the first time this season. For a young rookie, I thought he handled the sudden change of his role rather well. He defended the post with strength and didn't back down when challenged. In the fourth quarter and overtime, Pop used Leonard to defend pick-and-rolls and he mostly did very good work. However, Leonard did struggle in two areas: rebounding on the defensive end and shooting from the outside. Other than that, though, the 20-year-old did about as much as the Spurs could have fairly expected.

Keep in mind that I have only seen the replays, but the defence that Kawhi played on Chris Paul (?) on his end of overtime 3 pointer was pretty damn impressive...

And the balls of Neal! He never ceases to amaze me. The "steal" and the step back to the 3 point line was impressive to me.

letmk
02-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Great Writeup as always, LJ.

We need to look at the result. And for those two game-changing 3-points alone, I think Neal deserves a B+. But this is a toss-up though. What I really disagree is about Blair, or the comparison to RJ to some extent.

To me RJ didn't do much in this game or in many previous games, but for whatever reason, it doesn't look like he was abused individually or drag down the whole team much. He simply does not help the team much either. I'm not trying to

On the other hand, whenever Blair was on the court, especially when he is not playing with Tim covering his ass, he gives up the whole paint to the opponents, either by his own man or the guards from outside, either directly or giving second chance to the opponents.

Maybe this is because RJ is a SF and Blair is a center/big man, anyways, RJ is at worst useless, at best eating some minutes, which we might be able to live with it as along as we ignore his salary, but Blair is a big liability to the team and we have to address that issue. When I watch the games, I always wish we could fast-forward the time Blair was playing --- that shows how nervous/worried I feel with him on the court.

SenorSpur
02-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Chris Paul on the game-changing turnover:

"Probably the worst play I've been a part of since I've been in the NBA." :lmao

Take that, you little bitch. :ihit

The Staples Center gasped when Paul threw away that pass, then about a second or two later, Neal intercepts and pops the 3-ball, whatever air was left in the place was gone. The entire arena gasped again. Me and the other Spurs fans in the vicinity were howling with glee.

Borosai
02-19-2012, 12:47 AM
The Spurs were/are considering getting rid of Jefferson, so they need to forget about completely hurting his feelings and bench him.

Ginobili - Neal - Anderson
Leonard - Green - Jefferson

Looks good to me (as soon as Manu can start).

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2012, 12:50 AM
It's a perverse world we live in when Manu gets injured, and not only am I more alarmed but also more concerned over an injury to a bench player instead of Manu.

Ari Gold
02-19-2012, 01:15 AM
I saw it on TV, but I'm guessing it might be on Spurs.com later. Parker had really red eyes like he had been crying :lol (or maybe he got shampoo in them).

Or he smoked a bowl to celebrate.

Spurminator
02-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Confession time. I turned the game off after Neal fumbled the inbound.

Blackjack
02-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Thanks, LJ. Sincerely.

Haven't been able to watch the games at all this year, great to have these writeups. :toast

suitedkings
02-19-2012, 01:30 AM

opps.

Dex
02-19-2012, 01:36 AM

They are replaying it right now on FSSW, if you feel like staying up or DVRing it to catch what you missed.

timvp
02-19-2012, 01:48 AM
30-point, 10-assist games for the Spurs in the last 25 years:

Tony Parker - 13
Alvin Robertson - 6
David Robinson - 2
Manu Ginobili - 1
Rod Strickland - 1
Frank Brickowski - 1

I'm not sure what's most surprising: Manu only having one, Duncan having none or Frank Brickowski being on the list :lol

timvp
02-19-2012, 01:55 AM
30-point, 10-assist games for the Spurs in the last 25 years:

Tony Parker - 13
Alvin Robertson - 6
David Robinson - 2
Manu Ginobili - 1
Rod Strickland - 1
Frank Brickowski - 1

Of the 11 non-Parker 30-point, 10-assist games, only one was on the road.

On the other hand, 10 of Parker's 13 such games were on the road :wow

xellos88330
02-19-2012, 02:11 AM
caption

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/writers/sam_amick/02/18/spurs.clippers/griffin-clips-spurs.jpg

no timmy no!!!!

jjktkk
02-19-2012, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the writeup Tim.

DPG21920
02-19-2012, 02:51 AM
The Spurs did something that was both unsung and difficult yet critical in sports when melting down; they answered back immediately. So many times a team blows a lead and momentum changes and you are fighting back but can never scale the mountain that is regaining a blown lead. Every time LA made their run Spurs never let them keep or build a lead and it's a big reason why they got the win.

jjktkk
02-19-2012, 02:54 AM
The Spurs did something that was both unsung and difficult yet critical in sports when melting down; they answered back immediately. So many times a team blows a lead and momentum changes and you are fighting back but can never scale the mountain that is regaining a blown lead. Every time LA made their run Spurs never let them keep or build a lead and it's a big reason why they got the win.

The mark of a good team, with leadership.

will_spurs
02-19-2012, 03:21 AM
I was really impressed by Bonner yesterday: he hit some important shots, was active on the boards and was doing quite well on D despite the tough match-up. He also made a few 2-pt FGs, which I think is good to keep defenses honest. This is the kind of Bonner we need, not the unidimensional 3-pt shooter.

I also really liked what both Green and KL did on defense. It's not the usual Spurs D since they relied a lot on steals and deflected passes, but their activity on that end was really causing some problems for the Clippers. Especially Griffin seems to react very badly to being nnoyed that way, or double/triple teamed.

I also thought Parker had one of his best defensive games of the season, he was extremely active and motivated. I hope he can keep that up on top of everything else. He is hitting his jumpers with amazing consistency, and one of the announcers claimed he is leading the league in points scored in the 3-9ft range. Does anybody know where we can find data confirming this?

Arcadian
02-19-2012, 03:28 AM
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Wow, do you even know what number that is? That number is so large that there is no nomenclature for it.

Also, you could have made things easier on yourself and written it in scientific notation, which would be 10^36.

letmk
02-19-2012, 04:09 AM
The steal by Bonner at the end of the game might've sealed the win for us. We were up by 4, and the Clippers was stunned by the steal from Griffin, and their momentum was quite low. Unfortunately, Bonner was called out of bound. In hindsight, he should've passed the ball earlier to Tim. But we can see his effort.

mudyez
02-19-2012, 04:32 AM
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

I hate the stupid fucking Tony vs Manu horse shit

+1 more ;)

TDMVPDPOY
02-19-2012, 05:04 AM
rj was horseshit today, this guys mechanism to shoot the 3 is even longer then bonner setting his ass out taking the 3...

bonner got abuse today, but could care less since he contributed on the offensive end..reigning 3s when we needed scoring, the only part of his game i dislike atm is the pumpfake and attacking the rim with some lame shot attempt....would much prefer him to play like NEAL, just chuck the 3 and live with it whether it goes in/out.....

this team has a record of blowing leads :(, they play much better from behind or when even, get to lazy and start chucking pathetic shots when have leads cause they think they can afford to missed shots for other teams to go on a run....

beating a bunch of fake ass thugs, nothing to see here

jestersmash
02-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Honestly, I see more people complain about the alleged Tony vs Manu drama on these boards than I see people actually debate Tony vs Manu this season.

A couple of years ago? Absolutely. There's no question that this board has a long history of CoM/CoP drama. But now (this season)? Not so much. Maybe at the very beginning of the season there were a couple of posts here and there about the "leader" of the team or the "best player" on the team and CoM was in full effect.

Even now, there are a couple of posters who are obvious homers to one player or the other (and it shows - albeit subtly - in their posts; it's usually more CoP I'd say. The CoM people have pretty much kept quiet throughout his injury period :lol), but that's about it.

sliver
02-19-2012, 06:13 AM
RJ should not play basketball anymore, he's a waste of talent and money. Have no idea what the f*** is going on in his head.

will_spurs
02-19-2012, 06:13 AM
The CoM people have pretty much kept quiet throughout his injury period :lol

You mean, apart from the constant stream of posts about the Spurs "missing their best player", maybe?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Thanks to timvp for an excellent writeup of a fantastic game. :tu

For mine, Green's defence of CP3, Parker's dominance, Tim's team defence, and Neal's utterly strange game all stood out in one of the wins of the year. The Clippers are for real, and I have a strange feeling we'll see them in the playoffs.

Thanks, LJ. Sincerely.

Haven't been able to watch the games at all this year, great to have these writeups. :toast

You poor bastard! You're missed around here, mate. Hope you're well. :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-19-2012, 06:27 AM

The mark of a good team, with leadership.

Yes and yes. This team has shown a lot of character in the past month, and their defence is improving week on week. If they can continue the momentum after the ASB, we might just have a dark horse contender here like 2007. We can only hope. ;)

jestersmash
02-19-2012, 06:35 AM
Wow, do you even know what number that is? That number is so large that there is no nomenclature for it.

Also, you could have made things easier on yourself and written it in scientific notation, which would be 10^36.

Off topic, but that number has a name. It's undecillion.

Of all large numbers with names, the coolest one is probably 10^453: Quinquagintacentillion

Everything up to 10^3003 has a name (10^3003 = Millinillion.... No, I'm not making this up :lol)

(No seriously, I'm not :lol - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers#Extensions_of_the_standard_ dictionary_numbers )

Kewni Leonard
02-19-2012, 09:20 AM
More of this coming up?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7201/6844720145_6c9eb3b5bb_z.jpg

Manu looking like Nosferatu

Mal
02-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Just watched highlights. I never saw a highlight that question refs decision. But this time , there was "strange" call on griffin note. On the same action, in the same highligth, there is a moment when Griffin wave his hand, and got called foul for it. Why would nba.com make comment as Griffin was sooo innocent.

silverblk mystix
02-19-2012, 09:40 AM
This was the first game in a long time that I didn't hate Pop or Bonner...

If this miraculous trend continues...I may have to eat a big bowl of shit...happily.

Manu and Tiago....disappointments...and that hurts to say.

mercos
02-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Awesome win. It was bittersweet due to injuries, but the last few moments of the fourth quarter and overtime were legendary. The Chris Paul - Gary Neal highlight is one we will be seeing for a long time. Neal is ridiculously clutch, as long as he is not shooting free throws. :lol That said he hit some huge threes for us tonight. That deep three to end the 17-0 run was a big moment in the game because the Spurs looked lost at that point.

The Spurs have showed some great resilience this year. I believe this is the third straight game we have given up a double digit lead in the second half. Each time they have managed to pull a win out. For all the talk of Chris Paul in the fourth quarter, it has really been Tony Parker who has been Mr. Clutch this year.

urunobili
02-19-2012, 10:25 AM
I think Kawhi's Defense on the last play of the game was Bowenesque. he didn't buy into the foul seeking flopping Paul and pulled back his arm so that there was no doubt for the officials. :)

awesome write up timvp, thanks! :)

DMC
02-19-2012, 11:43 AM
+1

The way they would push the ball after Blake went orbital was a sight to behold. It reminded me of how the showtime Lakers used to throw the ball full court from out of bounds a split second after the opponent just dunked and was busy celebrating.

DMC
02-19-2012, 11:44 AM
This was the first game in a long time that I didn't hate Pop or Bonner...

If this miraculous trend continues...I may have to eat a big bowl of shit...happily.

Manu and Tiago....disappointments...and that hurts to say.

You work in a prison so you should be accustomed to it.

Russ
02-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Joey Crawford A-

One thing that I have not seen commented upon.

Joey (Crawford) reffed the game. When I saw his troll-like bald pate standing at centercourt with the ball in his hand and a whistle in his mouth, my heart sank.

But by and large he called a pretty fair game.

Credit where credit is due, as they say. :toast

(But maybe he was just saving it for a more significant time and place? :()

FkLA
02-19-2012, 11:52 AM
You mean, apart from the constant stream of posts about the Spurs "missing their best player", maybe?

The Spurs are indeed missing their best player though, tbh.

sonic21
02-19-2012, 12:04 PM
The Spurs are indeed missing their best player though, tbh.

their more talented and skilled player maybe, but not their best player anymore tbh.

Killakobe81
02-19-2012, 12:30 PM

That's just the fanbase ... their quotes and tweets say otherwise I think they appreciate each other and know they have both been key to 3 titles ... this is just com vs
cop crap

maverick1948
02-19-2012, 12:41 PM
With Billups out, LA has NO depth. Martin and Williams and NOTHING behind them. 40 mins a game for starters in this season will get you to the playoffs, but with teams like the Spurs who sub freely, you are toast. They will run you into the ground. Even Timmy was still going strong at the end of the game as he has not been wasting minutes when he could rest and Spurs still win. Nothing on the wire as yet on a 5th big. Wonder when we will hear from POP.

ColinB
02-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I think Kawhi's Defense on the last play of the game was Bowenesque. he didn't buy into the foul seeking flopping Paul and pulled back his arm so that there was no doubt for the officials. :)

awesome write up timvp, thanks! :)

Agreed. I thought Leonard's D there was flawless. He didn't back down after getting called for that ticky tack foul near the end of the 4th. Really encouraging stuff to see.

Obstructed_View
02-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Bonner did NOT want to take that three. He was practially begging for anyone to pass it to. Credit to him for nutting up and hitting it though. He and Blair have a big opportunity to step up. Hope they make the most of it.

ducks
02-19-2012, 03:13 PM

he had lots of wine:downspin:

JR3
02-19-2012, 03:45 PM

Me too...I'm usually not like that but I could no longer stand our idiotic mistakes in crunch time. Good thing they made one more mistake than we did. Anyone else feel like the refs gave the clips the benifit of the doubt all night?

GSH
02-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Me too...I'm usually not like that but I could no longer stand our idiotic mistakes in crunch time. Good thing they made one more mistake than we did. Anyone else feel like the refs gave the clips the benifit of the doubt all night?

I don't know about all night, but the Clippers got the ball back with 5.2 seconds in regulation. Chris Paul got bumped pretty damned hard, right around the FT line and there was no whistle. I's say the Spurs got the benefit of the doubt on that play.

Maddog
02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
I don't know about all night, but the Clippers got the ball back with 5.2 seconds in regulation. Chris Paul got bumped pretty damned hard, right around the FT line and there was no whistle. I's say the Spurs got the benefit of the doubt on that play.
man that scared me- Chris Paul has a way of initiating contact and getting the call-nothing wrong with that if it works
That one where he got free throws it looked like he grabbed Leonard

jestersmash
02-19-2012, 05:57 PM

It was pretty inconsistent throughout the night. Paul was barely bumped on a previous play and they gave him FTs.

One could argue that Blake pushed Duncan out of bounds and into the stands (slightly) and there was no foul call, but on the other hand the ref did not allow the ball to be inbounded immediately so Duncan could get back on defense (anyone care to elaborate on this one? I've seen the refs allow the ball to be inbounded in similar situations in the past. What was different in this situation?).

DeAndre Jordan had a couple of fairly obvious fouls that were no calls early in the game.

I thought one of Tony was bailed out by the refs on a call late into the game when there was minimal (if any) contact.

There was a foul call (on Martin I think) that sent Duncan to the line. It was one of those "let me flail my arms and hope to get to the line" type of plays by Duncan. I'm not sure that was actually a foul, but I didn't see the replay so I'm not sure.

My "eye test" wants to say that the Clippers probably came out on top overall, if only barely, as far as refereeing goes.

angelbelow
02-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Weird game indeed, I saw Duncan and Crawford jovially pass the ball back and forth as if they've been buddies for a decades.

Maddog
02-19-2012, 06:09 PM
man that scared me- Chris Paul has a way of initiating contact and getting the call-nothing wrong with that if it works
That one where he got free throws it looked like he grabbed Leonard

wildbill2u
02-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Weird game indeed, I saw Duncan and Crawford jovially pass the ball back and forth as if they've been buddies for a decades.

Lord it would be nice if Crawford finally gave up his hard-on for Duncan after all these years. Maybe he's decided TD has been punished enough over the years.

...er...nah, probably not.

Manu-of-steel
02-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks Timvp. I agree with the grades. That was a strange win, but i'm glad we got the win. Great play by the team. In OT, CP3 faked a drive to the hoop, Kawhi didn't bite. Kawhi knew that the clips need a three, so he stayed on top to bother the three point shot by CP3. Heads up play by the rookie.

LakerHater
02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
NO foul, ball hit the back board!

http://i.minus.com/ibfM5XxBFCAgMp.gif

Obstructed_View
02-20-2012, 02:07 AM

Yeah that was a foul that wasn't called, so the Spurs dodged a bullet on that. I didn't think the "hard" foul on Griffin was a foul as it looked like he hit the ball against the backboard, but I didn't go back and examine it. Didn't seem like a badly reffed game at all, so Clippers fans are probably up in arms about it.

TJastal
02-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Yeah that was a foul that wasn't called, so the Spurs dodged a bullet on that. I didn't think the "hard" foul on Griffin was a foul as it looked like he hit the ball against the backboard, but I didn't go back and examine it. Didn't seem like a badly reffed game at all, so Clippers fans are probably up in arms about it.

Give em a few more years yet might take awhile for the transformation to spoiled rotten laker fan.

Dex
02-20-2012, 03:39 AM

Tim got him on the arm, which is probably why the ball went against the backboard. It also looked like he caught him with the hip a bit as well.

timvp
02-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Another angle shows a pretty clear foul on Duncan.

This angle shows Bonner fouling Duncan :lol

TDMVPDPOY
02-20-2012, 09:48 AM
man why cant fkn bonner play like his ugly twin brother...

Fireball
02-20-2012, 12:14 PM
This angle shows Bonner fouling Duncan :lol

:lmao

z0sa
02-20-2012, 02:58 PM

I changed into gym clothes right after that play and when I came in to turn off the TV before I left, I just saw a replay of Neal stealing it and hitting the shot :lol needless to say I stuck around for OT.

Obstructed_View
02-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Tim got him on the arm, which is probably why the ball went against the backboard. It also looked like he caught him with the hip a bit as well.

I'll take LJ's word that another angle shows an actual foul. Certainly not a "hard" foul as ESPN and maybe the Clippers crew said it was.

Spur|n|Austin
02-21-2012, 02:09 AM
tsk tsk this isn't going to get tonight's grades out any faster Obstructed! :downspin: