PDA

View Full Version : Sen. John McCain Endorses Talks With Taliban

JoeChalupa
02-19-2012, 10:35 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/02/mccain-endorses-talks-with-taliban/?

Sen. John McCain endorsed U.S. talks with the Taliban this morning on “This Week,” setting himself at odds with Mitt Romney, who he is backing for the GOP presidential nomination.

“I think it’s important to have talks wherever you can,” said McCain, R-Ariz., speaking from Afghanistan. ” We have to have an outcome on the battlefield…that would motivate a successful conclusion.”

During a recent presidential debate, Mitt Romney said “The right course for America is not to negotiate with the Taliban while the Taliban are killing our soldiers. The right course is to recognize they’re the enemy of the United States.”

Afghan president Hamid Karzai confirmed for the first time this week that peace settlement talks between the U.S., Afghanistan, and the Taliban have begun.

McCain, who also said he is for a long-term American presence in Afghanistan, said he has not “had a conversation” with Romney about this issue. McCain, added the former Massachusetts governor had a “realistic” approach.

~~With all the recent war talk going around, McCain is level headed. Do we really want to get into another war at this time?

Wild Cobra
02-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Until it's clarified what he meant, we need to remember that talking isn't necessarily negotiation.

Winehole23
02-20-2012, 02:06 AM
hairsplitting.

concluding the war means talking terms with bad guys at some point, and there will be enforceability, at least for a little while. we're not leaving Afghanistan all at once that I've heard of...

Wild Cobra
02-20-2012, 03:09 AM
hairsplitting.

concluding the war means talking terms with bad guys at some point, and there will be enforceability, at least for a little while. we're not leaving Afghanistan all at once that I've heard of...
When you are telling your child what they will and will not do, and what will happen if they don't follow your instructions, is that negotiating?

I don't see that as hairsplitting when it could be that type of talking.

mercos
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
He might as well endorse it because the Taliban are never going to go away and that is the only way we will "win" the war in Afghanistan. Without a negotiated peace between factions it has all the makings of a repeat of Vietnam, something McCain knows a little bit about.

hater
02-20-2012, 10:08 AM
well they were our buddies for years. why not rekindle an old friendship?

JohnnyMarzetti
02-20-2012, 07:39 PM
When it comes to war mongering, the Cainster is one of the few in the GOP who has common sense.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
The Pentagon brass and NSA peeps have been saying this for a year now. I don't see how McCain of all people agreeing with those two entities is noteworthy.

JohnnyMarzetti
02-20-2012, 07:55 PM
The Pentagon brass and NSA peeps have been saying this for a year now. I don't see how McCain of all people agreeing with those two entities is noteworthy.

If you know any McCain history you'd understand.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-20-2012, 08:23 PM
If you know any McCain history you'd understand.

The two I mentioned changed their mind too. That was my point. Those two are his boys and where they go he goes too.