PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs system?

jermaine
02-19-2012, 12:35 PM
I can't understand how people say their systems is so hard. I was watching Martin with the clippers an how he just automatically jumped over Jordan in the rotation in crunch time. Looks like he's been there for yrs an making plays against Parker twice, an punked Ginobili. My point is that when we sign someone, everyone round here say how they won't catch on for a yr or 2. Maybe we need to dial it back a lil. Cuz if the clippers system is so simple an plain that a "no bb iq" having Martin can step right in, that's sad. Cuz they should've beat us. That 2 yr system to learn really doesn't help much, or does it?

TJastal
02-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I can't understand how people say their systems is so hard. I was watching Martin with the clippers an how he just automatically jumped over Jordan in the rotation in crunch time. Looks like he's been there for yrs an making plays against Parker twice, an punked Ginobili. My point is that when we sign someone, everyone round here say how they won't catch on for a yr or 2. Maybe we need to dial it back a lil. Cuz if the clippers system is so simple an plain that a "no bb iq" having Martin can step right in, that's sad. Cuz they should've beat us. That 2 yr system to learn really doesn't help much, or does it?

Bigger payoff supposedly.

jimo2305
02-19-2012, 01:15 PM
i feel what your'e saying but for the most part, it's churned out 4 championship wins.. can't fix what isn't broken

Man In Black
02-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Out here in California, we only got the LA feed so during Clippers Live , the question was asked to Vinny Del Negro, coach of the Clippers,"Vinny, You went more with Kenyon Martin and Blake late instead of DeAndre, what was the thinking there?"
Coach VDN said,"Well, they run so many screen and rolls, you know I just thought Kenyon could move his feet real well and just try to contain penetration. Tony is so difficult to guard in any scenario. He gets in the paint, he has those floaters, he gets to the foul line. So we're just trying to put Kenyon on the switch and just try to make him shoot contested jump shots as much as possible, instead of hurting us with the penetration."

jimo2305
02-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Out here in California, we only got the LA feed so during Clippers Live , the question was asked to Vinny Del Negro, coach of the Clippers,"Vinny, You went more with Kenyon Martin and Blake late instead of DeAndre, what was the thinking there?"
Coach VDN said,"Well, they run so many screen and rolls, you know I just thought Kenyon could move his feet real well and just try to contain penetration. Tony is so difficult to guard in any scenario. He gets in the paint, he has those floaters, he gets to the foul line. So we're just trying to put Kenyon on the switch and just try to make him shoot contested jump shots as much as possible, instead of hurting us with the penetration."

http://emotibot.net/pix/536.png

Wild Cobra Kai
02-19-2012, 01:31 PM

If we "dial it back", then we are competing against other teams strictly on talent and athleticism. Not a good idea. Martin always looks good until crunch time, and then he folds like a cheap card table. Not the kind of player worth dumbing down your system for.

K-State Spur
02-19-2012, 01:56 PM

So, the premise is that Vinny Del Negro runs a better and easier to learn system than Pop?

Really?

REALLY?

REALLY?

ElNono
02-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Being 2 years in the system causes players not to fuck up an inbound play and win the game... duh

ElNono
02-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh, and the reason KMart was playing is because while he might be dumb and done, he understands the game a lot better than DeAndre Jordan at this time.

Solid D
02-19-2012, 02:16 PM
When people and players refer to the Spurs' system, they are normally talking about the defensive system...although the Spurs have a huge offensive playbook. The defensive rules the Spurs use are different from most teams. The Spurs like to pressure the ball full court on teams that are more half-court oriented but drop back with a specific transition defense they play against teams that like to run. Once they get into the half-court, whether cross-matched in transition or they have the men they are actually assigned to guard, there are body positioning rules and penetration rules that are different from most teams' schemes. Where to position yourself if you are one pass away is different from if you are 2 passes away from the ball. If 2 passes away then you slide toward the ball and under the "passing line". That kind of stuff.

Pop's defensive rules don't allow the player guarding a man in the corner to help on the penetrator away from that man. If a Spurs player ever breaks that rule and someone makes an OPEN corner three, Pop will call a time-out and pitch a conniption Serbian fit. There are also rotation rules when the Spurs want to pressure the ball, sometimes sending help from atypical spots. The basic rule of not letting anyone get to the middle, forcing the dribbler baseline is a strict Spurs rule and is difficult to follow through on because players don't always trust that there will be weakside help.

If you ever doubt that the Spurs still follow those "force to the outside & baseline" rules any more, just review any game they play this year and count the number of times the Spurs force someone baseline. Baseline versus how many times they allow a middle penetration on their defense.

From what I understand, it takes time to get the rules down to where it's automatic at game speed. He who hesitates gets lost.

Kenyon Martin is a pro and he still moves his feet pretty well, so he handles one-on-one matchups and 2-man middle screen situations like a pro. The Clips were switching every screen, so Kenyon did a decent job. Yes, he switched and punked Manu one-on-one and took the ball away. It was just a good, stong man-to-man defensive play.

It just takes players time to learn the Spurs positioning rules that are a bit different.

jermaine
02-19-2012, 02:17 PM
i feel what your'e saying but for the most part, it's churned out 4 championship wins.. can't fix what isn't broken

If the system was so good, ur wouldn't matter who was playing in it right!?! That system don't get stops, but must of yal make excuses for incoming players. If they clippers can go to the wire with us a they just free lancing, that says a lot about our system. I've read many reason why the Spurs can't get a big name player an expect them to contribute off the back. I can honestly say, I'm sure Vinny is ok with the way Martin has just step in.

ElNono
02-19-2012, 02:23 PM
If the system was so good, ur wouldn't matter who was playing in it right!?! That system don't get stops, but must of yal make excuses for incoming players. If they clippers can go to the wire with us a they just free lancing, that says a lot about our system. I've read many reason why the Spurs can't get a big name player an expect them to contribute off the back. I can honestly say, I'm sure Vinny is ok with the way Martin has just step in.

To be fair, when the Spurs have acquired veteran NBA talent, they've normally played them right away too (ie: Finley, McDyess, RJ). The 2-year process has been largely reserved to NBA rooks...

Solid D
02-19-2012, 02:32 PM
“It's hard breaking habits,” McDyess said. “Here, it's a totally different system. It's tough, especially when you're so used to playing one way. There's nothing similar between here and Detroit at all.” - Antonio McDyess

jermaine
02-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Being 2 years in the system causes players not to fuck up an inbound play and win the game... duh

If I can remember, Jefferson an Neal fumbled our inbound pass which led to our turnovers instead of a decent shot. We got lucky that cp3 returned the favor. An Naw to the fuck face that said the clippers won. The clippers system is simple(just like Jr smith finishing out the game in NY instead of Bill Walker or Landry Fields). Sometimes we should try to need people an expect greatness instead of giving them a pass saying next yr they'll know our system. That's all ill saying really.

jermaine
02-19-2012, 04:21 PM
jermaine is right. that's why the clippers won last night

I'm drunk an your stupid in my eyes. Tryna be funny you fuck head. Eat two ducks you fag-ge-tay! I don't like you.

chazley
02-19-2012, 04:22 PM
You're comparing the Clippers to the Spurs. Think about that for a minute.

chazley
02-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Not only that, but you're comparing the genius of a Gregg Popovich to a coach in Vinny Del Negro who is widely regarded as one of the worst coaches in the NBA. It's not some miracle that people can fit in there because not only is VDN incapable of a complex system, but Kenyon Martin is a very talented player who would get minutes immediately on any team - including the Spurs.

Proxy
02-19-2012, 05:03 PM
When people and players refer to the Spurs' system, they are normally talking about the defensive system...although the Spurs have a huge offensive playbook. The defensive rules the Spurs use are different from most teams. The Spurs like to pressure the ball full court on teams that are more half-court oriented but drop back with a specific transition defense they play against teams that like to run. Once they get into the half-court, whether cross-matched in transition or they have the men they are actually assigned to guard, there are body positioning rules and penetration rules that are different from most teams' schemes. Where to position yourself if you are one pass away is different from if you are 2 passes away from the ball. If 2 passes away then you slide toward the ball and under the "passing line". That kind of stuff.

Pop's defensive rules don't allow the player guarding a man in the corner to help on the penetrator away from that man. If a Spurs player ever breaks that rule and someone makes an OPEN corner three, Pop will call a time-out and pitch a conniption Serbian fit. There are also rotation rules when the Spurs want to pressure the ball, sometimes sending help from atypical spots. The basic rule of not letting anyone get to the middle, forcing the dribbler baseline is a strict Spurs rule and is difficult to follow through on because players don't always trust that there will be weakside help.

If you ever doubt that the Spurs still follow those "force to the outside & baseline" rules any more, just review any game they play this year and count the number of times the Spurs force someone baseline. Baseline versus how many times they allow a middle penetration on their defense.

From what I understand, it takes time to get the rules down to where it's automatic at game speed. He who hesitates gets lost.

Kenyon Martin is a pro and he still moves his feet pretty well, so he handles one-on-one matchups and 2-man middle screen situations like a pro. The Clips were switching every screen, so Kenyon did a decent job. Yes, he switched and punked Manu one-on-one and took the ball away. It was just a good, stong man-to-man defensive play.

It just takes players time to learn the Spurs positioning rules that are a bit different.
:pop::tu

chazley
02-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Great post Solid D.

Interrohater
02-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Think about this, jermaine. If not for the Spurs system, the athleticism and youth would have destroyed the Spurs. It wasn't the system that allowed the Clips to almost win, it was the system that allowed the Spurs to beat a youthful and strong young team.

Em-City
02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
..by the way, who says Kmart has low basketball IQ?? He may have a low intellegence IQ but i think he's pretty smart on the court.

jermaine
02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Think about this, jermaine. If not for the Spurs system, the athleticism and youth would have destroyed the Spurs. It wasn't the system that allowed the Clips to almost win, it was the system that allowed the Spurs to beat a youthful and strong young team.

Best point made yet! Nice quote in your Sig. Lmmfao

Wild Cobra Kai
02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
The Clippers are SO stupid. They have enough bigs. They don't really have a starting SG, only some undersized combo guards. They should have waited for JR Smith.