PDA

View Full Version : SI.com: "Believing in the Spurs".

jjktkk
02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Good take on the Spurs, I like how the author compares the difference from last years team to this years team.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/02/20/monday-musings-believing-in-the-spurs/

therealtruth
02-20-2012, 03:35 PM
I like the article. Splitter/Duncan has more potential that Pop has to make use of. The only reason Bonner/Blair have ok defensive numbers is the team defense sags into the paint to help them. The consequence of course is that teams make a higher percentage of outside shots against the Spurs.

Consider the Grizzlies last year. They weren't a perimeter team. However because the Spurs team defense had to sag in the paint so much to help Blair/Bonner they allowed the Grizzlies to be good enough on the perimeter. That really made the difference in the series. Against the Thunder it was a different story. Scott Brooks had capable big men that could defend without doubling. As a result Lionel Hollins was forced to start OJ Mayo to get more from their perimeter players.

If the Spurs could always play two defensive studs in the frontcourt that don't need help the perimeter players could be more aggressive and the defense could be even better. They have two such players in TD and TS. They need at least one more.

GSH
02-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm always impressed when someone writes a story about the Spurs, and they seem to have actually watched the Spurs play. There are always points to debate, but this was a pretty fair and accurate take overall.

Robz4000
02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Guy really knows what he's talking about. IMO, the Spurs are going to have to find another big in order to contend outside the first round. The Splitter/Duncan combo will have to be put on hold until next season unless something changes; there are too many issues to be corrected while fighting for a playoff position. Honestly, Bonner has improved from last season, and the Spurs can survive with him on the court or even thrive as long as it isn't with Blair. Nonetheless, the Spurs need to find a capable big to either come off the bench when/if Blair shows he's gonna have a bad game (which he's having many of this season) or to start when the right matchup presents itself. Leave Bonner and Splitter together, as they compliment the other's skill set well.

Hoops Czar
02-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Guy really knows what he's talking about. IMO, the Spurs are going to have to find another big in order to contend outside the first round. The Splitter/Duncan combo will have to be put on hold until next season unless something changes; there are too many issues to be corrected while fighting for a playoff position. Honestly, Bonner has improved from last season, and the Spurs can survive with him on the court or even thrive as long as it isn't with Blair. Nonetheless, the Spurs need to find a capable big to either come off the bench when/if Blair shows he's gonna have a bad game (which he's having many of this season) or to start when the right matchup presents itself. Leave Bonner and Splitter together, as they compliment the other's skill set well.

Unless those capable bigs are willing to play for peanuts, they are going to war with the players they have. Buford had the chance to amnesty RJ and he chose to keep him around.

xellos88330
02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Bonners defensive numbers were quite surprising. I noticed an improvement but didn't realize it was quite that big of one.

Robz4000
02-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Unless those capable bigs are willing to play for peanuts, they are going to war with the players they have. Buford had the chance to amnesty RJ and he chose to keep him around.
Spurs still have the MLE and have been shown willing to use it (if their pursuit of KMart is any indication). I was referring to the Spurs taking the trade route, though. Go get Randolph from Minny, etc. They don't need some game-changing big, just get someone's third or fourth big. They could always go after a big from someone who isn't contending for a playoff spot.

Nathan Explosion
02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
I will say this, as of late, Bonner is competing on the defensive end. He's not going to be an elite or even above average defender on the block, but he's working hard and causing some trouble sometimes. Having said that, the double has to be brought against better bigs.

I think having Kawhi is a huge step in the right direction, because he's the small ball 4 the Spurs need (which would keep RJ at the 3 where he belongs). He can D up on the perimeter and has a knack for rebounding as well.

Proxy
02-20-2012, 04:50 PM
in order to contend outside the first round.

:rolleyes

Hoops Czar
02-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Spurs still have the MLE and have been shown willing to use it (if their pursuit of KMart is any indication). I was referring to the Spurs taking the trade route, though. Go get Randolph from Minny, etc. They don't need some game-changing big, just get someone's third or fourth big. They could always go after a big from someone who isn't contending for a playoff spot.

I was under the impression they could only spend half the MLE because they are over the cap. I still don't see what the spurs have in the way of assets that any other team would be interested in.

Robz4000
02-20-2012, 05:07 PM
I was under the impression they could only spend half the MLE because they are over the cap. I still don't see what the spurs have in the way of assets that any other team would be interested in.
James Anderson is good, it's just that the Spurs are stacked on the wings and he can't find a way into the rotation. A team like Minny would more than likely be willing to give up a big who hardly plays for a player with loads of potential upside. The Spurs could throw in a pick to sweeten the deal.

tmtcsc
02-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Don't sleep on Shaq. Dude was brave enough to pick the Spurs coming out of the West this year. <-- That was before the season started.

angelbelow
02-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Nice read, thanks for posting.

timvp
02-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Damn, that was a great article :tu

Cane
02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Wow Bonner's numbers against PF's are pretty surprising. I wouldn't trust them for the playoffs but wow nonetheless.

Spurs need health and another legit big to be favored to come out of the West.

chazley
02-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Love how everyone is all over Bonner's nuts now, when I've been on the bandwagon for the past 2 seasons. It all has to do with team success - people legitimately feel like we can win it this season, therefore everyone is rightfully giving him props. If we lose two in a row though, I can't wait to hear the idiots re-surface though.

Spursfanfromafar
02-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Zach Lowe is a terrific young writer, who has significantly improved NBA coverage on SI. Among the best young writers on the league today.

therealtruth
02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Love how everyone is all over Bonner's nuts now, when I've been on the bandwagon for the past 2 seasons. It all has to do with team success - people legitimately feel like we can win it this season, therefore everyone is rightfully giving him props. If we lose two in a row though, I can't wait to hear the idiots re-surface though.

Curious, are you on Bonner's bandwagon in the playoffs too?

Man In Black
02-21-2012, 12:16 AM
While I agree that a big lineup would cause the Spurs issue, as he says, the Lakers are death...BUT for whatever reason, their inability to shoot the 3, plus the crappy guard play...doesn't scare me at all.

spectator
02-21-2012, 12:37 AM
great article - i would really like the spurs to overpay to get taj gibson. if no other quality big man is acquired before the PO, then we can only hope to win the PO lottery - avoid lal, mem and chicago if we make it that far.

SpursFaninMS
02-21-2012, 01:46 AM
As everyone continues to say: We can't match up with a team that has a power 4-5 combo. Obviously, the Lakers and Grizzlies with Randolph are the nightmare match-ups. Minnesota gives us fits for that reason (and that was prior to Pekovic emerging). Also, the Rockets to a lesser extent. I'll take us to beat anyone else in a series.

For us and pretty much every team in the West, it comes down to match-ups. You cannot legitimately predict a favorite in the West until you see a bracket.

itzsoweezee
02-21-2012, 02:10 AM

No one who has a clue is "all over Bonner's nuts." His playoff performance is about 99% predictable.

It's amazing how the Mavericks and Spurs have completely reversed roles. The Mavs are now the defensive-minded team that doesn't really care about regular season records, but will excel in the playoffs. While the Spurs are now an offensive-minded finesse team that lives and dies by the three, has the great regular season record that gives the illusion of a title contender, can't defend, and can't play playoff-level basketball.

Making weak-minded scrubs like Bonner a major part of the rotation probably plays a big role in this unfortunate turn of events.

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 02:32 AM
No one who has a clue is "all over Bonner's nuts." His playoff performance is about 99% predictable.

It's amazing how the Mavericks and Spurs have completely reversed roles. The Mavs are now the defensive-minded team that doesn't really care about regular season records, but will excel in the playoffs. While the Spurs are now an offensive-minded finesse team that lives and dies by the three, has the great regular season record that gives the illusion of a title contender, can't defend, and can't play playoff-level basketball.

Making weak-minded scrubs like Bonner a major part of the rotation probably plays a big role in this unfortunate turn of events.

You didn't read the article did you?

itzsoweezee
02-21-2012, 02:42 AM
You didn't read the article did you?

It's pretty obvious that I was responding to a specific poster, not the article.

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 02:49 AM
It's pretty obvious that I was responding to a specific poster, not the article.

The first sentence in your post, yes. Then after that your bitching and moanning about the Spurs. I get it that you want the reincarnation of DROB, Bowen, and Tim in their prime, who wouldn't, but the Spurs are playing great right now, so cheer the fuckup and try to enjoy the ride.

therealtruth
02-21-2012, 02:53 AM
As everyone continues to say: We can't match up with a team that has a power 4-5 combo. Obviously, the Lakers and Grizzlies with Randolph are the nightmare match-ups. Minnesota gives us fits for that reason (and that was prior to Pekovic emerging). Also, the Rockets to a lesser extent. I'll take us to beat anyone else in a series.

For us and pretty much every team in the West, it comes down to match-ups. You cannot legitimately predict a favorite in the West until you see a bracket.

That's why you want to make sure your team doesn't have any glaring holes or weaknesses.

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 02:54 AM
That's why you want to make sure your team doesn't have any glaring holes or weaknesses.

Easier said than done tbh.

roycrikside
02-21-2012, 03:31 AM
I think, like LJ, I'm fairly skeptical of the Spurs as a serious contender unless (until?) they can trade for one more big who can defend and rebound. Blair needs to be out of the rotation. I just don't think you can win with him as a rotation player.

Honestly, I'd be happy if McDyess came out of retirement, and I wouldn't be that surprised if that was the secret plan all along, for him to help out the last 15-20 games plus the playoffs as a 15-20 minute player, with the understanding that Tiago and Bonner will both play more than him.

I think we need to find somebody though, and really I wouldn't even mind if we experimented with Leonard as the 4th "big" instead of Blair once Tiago comes back.

itzsoweezee
02-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Honestly, I'd be happy if McDyess came out of retirement, and I wouldn't be that surprised if that was the secret plan all along, for him to help out the last 15-20 games plus the playoffs as a 15-20 minute player, with the understanding that Tiago and Bonner will both play more than him.

McDyess is not he answer. He was horrible against the Grizzlies.

therealtruth
02-21-2012, 03:51 PM
finally some one is not a homer and says it .... dice was horrible he was garbage on pick & roll defense

Dice in a reserve role with TS starting might not be so bad.

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Dice in a reserve role with TS starting might not be so bad.

DAF86
02-21-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm always impressed when someone writes a story about the Spurs, and they seem to have actually watched the Spurs play. There are always points to debate, but this was a pretty fair and accurate take overall.

Agreed, dude sounds like a Spurs fan.