PDA

View Full Version : James Anderson wants to leave spurs

sasffl
02-21-2012, 09:05 AM
According to Buck Harvey's twitter, the agent of James Anderson has told the front office his client wants to be traded

mountainballer
02-21-2012, 09:13 AM
no problem. he can go to the Toros.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Report: Spurs James Anderson requests trade
Kurt Helin

Feb 21, 2012, 8:59 AM EST

James Anderson is not getting a lot of run from Gregg Popovich in San Antonio right now, he has pretty much slipped to the back of the rotation. Monday night he played 7:35 and had five points for the Spurs.

So the guard wants out, reports Buck Harvey, columnist with the Express-News on twitter.

Sources say James Anderson’s agent this month encouraged Spurs to trade his client. Nothing offered would have been better than JA Monday.

Anderson, a second year player out of Oklahoma State, is averaging 4 points per game this year in his limited minutes. With the Spurs on an 11 game win streak, don’t expect Popovich to be making a lot of rotation changes.

Not a major deal, but if he wants out the Spurs likely will try to accommodate that. However, as these are the Spurs it has to be a deal they like, so it may not be fast.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/report-spurs-james-anderson-requests-trade/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

bigfan
02-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Second year players need to shut up and earn their minutes.

Old School 44
02-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Showcase him tonight with 20-25+ minutes and see what happens.

mexicanjunior
02-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Could be a blessing in disguise if it means forcing the FO's hands to move him (along with other pieces) for a big with upside. Honestly, a change in scenery is probably the best thing for Anderson. He has lost Pop's trust and I don't see him cracking the rotation for big minutes anytime soon, especially once Manu returns.

jgome21
good, he hasnt done much anyways. should try and trade him and blair for another quality big.

acoelho1
I can't really blame him and anyone in his position would be stupid not to request a trade. He wants more playing time so he can show what he can do in a contract year.

bus driver
bye

timvp
02-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Sources say James Anderson's agent this month encouraged Spurs to trade his client. Nothing offered would have been better than JA Monday.

Eh. That's not exactly a trade request. Most young players in the league who aren't playing have agents who are "encouraging" a trade. Nothing too special about this situation. Money-wise, it makes no sense for JA to stay with the Spurs.

Honestly, I still think the Spurs should have picked up that option. He's been good enough in his most recent stints to warrant a closer look.

I don't think the Spurs should just give him away or salary dump him somewhere. Either get a halfway decent second round pick for him or keep him around in case circumstances change enough to where bringing him back makes sense.

sasffl
02-21-2012, 09:21 AM
His salary is just 1,463,520, maybe worth a 2nd round pick

porscha
02-21-2012, 09:22 AM
James who?:lol

Old School 44
02-21-2012, 09:28 AM
A mid to early second round pick would be nice. Just make sure you trade him out east.
I really think JA will have a very good career if he can stay healthy and get some playing time.

BanditHiro
02-21-2012, 09:29 AM
we are about to win a ring and he wants to be traded?

yavozerb
02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
JA for Sheldon Williams...make it happen

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Although a minor issue overall the Spurs probably dropped the ball on this one. It really should have been a no brainer to pick up the option & if the Spurs trade him it will likely be for a pittance. They should hold onto him if he's not extremely unhappy as his value right now is much higher to the Spurs than a 2nd rounder based on his production in limited minutes.

Redshadows
02-21-2012, 09:39 AM
James Anderson for Craig Brackins?
Wow, can't believe the surprise in training camp would leave like this.

jag
02-21-2012, 09:45 AM
He's in a tough situation where he's going to need minutes to improve and get into a rhythm, but as of right now he's not really better than the players in front of him in the rotation so he's going to have a hard time getting those minutes. His injury last season really messed things up for him.

letmk
02-21-2012, 09:49 AM
I don't blame him at all. The guy is fighting for next year's paycheck. Unlike Stars like Tim and Tony, money is never a given for other players, even though each and every single NBA player is making tons of money compared to us. Heck, even stars fight for more money during the negotiations.

The question is still, did the Spurs do the right thing not picking up his option? I'm not arguing for JA's sake, just for the Spurs' business interest, was it a good decision?

jag
02-21-2012, 09:50 AM
I remember when Roger Mason Jr requested a trade... that was kind of funny.

Darkwaters
02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
James who?:lol

James White!

Oh, I mean, Anderson.

Beanzamillion21
02-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Let him play! Up his value.

benefactor
02-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Try playing better. He was getting rotation minutes at the first of the season but proceeded to go 4-19 from distance and he looked terrible on defense. He's been better in spot minutes as of late but it's hard to justify giving him minutes ahead of the rest of the pack that outplayed him earlier in the year.

No one to blame but himself tbh.

Ice009
02-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Is James really worse than RJ that he can't get any playing time at all? If he actually took advantage of his minutes that he got early in the year did he have more upside than Danny Green?

Spurs should have picked up that option IMO.

GSH
02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
You can't blame him. The Spurs didn't pick up his option, and he's not getting any minutes to try and earn his next contract. That said, I really don't like it when guys do this publicly.

Hey, James... how about a beer, eh?

Cant_Be_Faded
02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Doesn't it make sense to trade him? I mean not picking up the option is a sure thing sign we are not resigning him right?

Bruno
02-21-2012, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs front office have leaked this trade demand on purpose to let other teams know that JA is available.

With the luxury tax, salary dumping JA makes a lot sense financially wise for Spurs. There are 15 teams with cap space or a trade exception big enough to absorb JA's contract: Pacers, Kings, Cavs, Raptors, Wizards, Bobcats, Mavs, Nuggets, Clippers, Lakers, Hornets, Thunder, Magic, Sixers and Jazz. Dumping JA's contract should be doable in a good condition.

The biggest negative of salary dumping JA now is that his expiring contract won't be available for a bigger trade at the deadline. Saying that, you had to be realistic: even with JA's expiring contract, Spurs are in a awfully though situation to make a significant trade. There are few risks that the dumping of JA's contract avoid Spurs to do a big trade.

I didn't like Spurs not picking JA's option but now that it's done. A salary dump is likely the best to do for Spurs.

K-State Spur
02-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Although a minor issue overall the Spurs probably dropped the ball on this one. It really should have been a no brainer to pick up the option & if the Spurs trade him it will likely be for a pittance. They should hold onto him if he's not extremely unhappy as his value right now is much higher to the Spurs than a 2nd rounder based on his production in limited minutes.

It's easier to say that after his play the last 10 days or so. He had been more than a little awful in the weeks leading up to that decision. More than just being a young player with inconsistent minutes excuses. And he was given opportunity to win more minutes coming out of the chute this year, and didn't come close to earning that.

If it's between picking up his option and the great unknown for his roster spot next year - then I would agree that it's a mistake.

But if they've already decided that they want to give his spot to de Colo next year, I think it's justifiable.

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Try playing better. He was getting rotation minutes at the first of the season but proceeded to go 4-19 from distance and he looked terrible on defense. He's been better in spot minutes as of late but it's hard to justify giving him minutes ahead of the rest of the pack that outplayed him earlier in the year.

RJ still plays despite sucking. Not really fair IMHO.

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 10:12 AM
I agree w Bruno though about them leaking it. I was thinking the same thing.

SenorSpur
02-21-2012, 10:12 AM
I also believe the Spurs errored by not picking up his option too. It simply made no sense. That sent a clear message to the kid that he's not wanted around here. Therefore, why wouldn't he want out. As a former Big 12 Player of the Year, he's obviously got some skills. It's not surprising that the kid wants more playing time and feels he should be playing. I fear that he goes elsewhere and makes the Spurs look foolish.

That said, if the Spurs can flip him for a big, that would be ideal.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Indiana or the Clippers would definitely be the best places for Anderson to go. A backcourt of Paul/Anderson/Mo/Foye/Bledsoe or Collison/George/Hill/Anderson/Jones and then possibly adding Eric Gordon next year would be killer. Of course, that's assuming Anderson would go back to playing solidly as he's done before but keeping it consistent.

SenorSpur
02-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Is James really worse than RJ that he can't get any playing time at all?

Now there is a salient point.

rasho8
02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Well when you look uip the roster ansd that choking dog RJ is getting 20+ minutes per game with a stat line of 0 and 1.... yeah its probably really annoying.

Im on JA's side, trade him or let him play. And with Manu always playing hurt I see no reason not to keep him.

Russ
02-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Looks like Pop (finally) pushed the right motivational button on JA. :toast

K-State Spur
02-21-2012, 10:32 AM

RJ - disappointing as he is - has knocked down open perimeter shots. Anderson has not. I'd also argue that RJ is slightly better defensively, but neither is good in that dept.

Now, even if those weren't true, Pop would probably play RJ over him anyways I admit. But those at least add legitimate reasons to back the current rotation.

It's tough for a guy with a PER of 10 (JA) to be complaining about lack of PT period, even if the guy ahead of him is only 11.6 (RJ).

JR3
02-21-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't blame him. I'm a little uncomfortable with how we haven't found a way to utilize him. I think he is more talented than we give him credit. But our other guys are giving us better minutes. I just hope other teams recognize his potential and give us some value in return.

SenorSpur
02-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Well when you look uip the roster ansd that choking dog RJ is getting 20+ minutes per game with a stat line of 0 and 1.... yeah its probably really annoying.

Im on JA's side, trade him or let him play. And with Manu always playing hurt I see no reason not to keep him.

Another good point. I've said it before. With RJ likely gone next season and Manu always injured and likely retiring after next season, it makes no sense to create yet another hole at a position where the Spurs are strongest. JA did struggle early, but based on what we saw against Utah, it's hard to understand how he cannot get time.

I hate the Mavs, but one thing I like about Mavs coach Rick Carlisle is players get PT based upon how they're currently performing. If a player is struggling and his backup is clearly outplaying him, both in practice and games, that backup gets the minutes. The incumbent has to earn his way back in. Outside of Dirk, that's how Carlisle does his business. He doesn't force-feed PT or develop a loyalty to any player simply because of reputation.

mountainballer
02-21-2012, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Spurs front office have leaked this trade demand on purpose to let other teams know that JA is available.

With the luxury tax, salary dumping JA makes a lot sense financially wise for Spurs. There are 15 teams with cap space or a trade exception big enough to absorb JA's contract: Pacers, Kings, Cavs, Raptors, Wizards, Bobcats, Mavs, Nuggets, Clippers, Lakers, Hornets, Thunder, Magic, Sixers and Jazz. Dumping JA's contract should be doable in a good condition.

The biggest negative of salary dumping JA now is that his expiring contract won't be available for a bigger trade at the deadline. Saying that, you had to be realistic: even with JA's expiring contract, Spurs are in a awfully though situation to make a significant trade. There are few risks that the dumping of JA's contract avoid Spurs to do a big trade.

I didn't like Spurs not picking JA's option but now that it's done. A salary dump is likely the best to do for Spurs.

I also think that at the end of the day we will see a pure dump scenario. question will be, do the Spurs find a taker, or do they need to include money, that covers the salary, to get rid of him. (like it was the case with Beno). Spurs will still save some tax money. I think for the latter scenario they can wait till deadline, b/c there will be a team that agrees to such a deal. However, the salary of JA' contract will likely become crucial, if the Spurs try to trade Blair. Blair + JA can bring back 3.1 million, what opens quite a lot more options than Blair alone. (like Ilyasova, Randolph, J. Johnson, J. Hill, Thompson, Hickson etc.)

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-21-2012, 11:01 AM
I also think that at the end of the day we will see a pure dump scenario. question will be, do the Spurs find a taker, or do they need to include money, that covers the salary, to get rid of him. (like it was the case with Beno). Spurs will still save some tax money. I think for the latter scenario they can wait till deadline, b/c there will be a team that agrees to such a deal. However, the salary of JA' contract will likely become crucial, if the Spurs try to trade Blair. Blair + JA can bring back 3.1 million, what opens quite a lot more options than Blair alone. (like Ilyasova, Randolph, J. Johnson, J. Hill, Thompson, Hickson etc.)

Ersanity!

justinandimcool
02-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Lol at people saying they don't blame him.

Manu goes down, he gets a starting job. Fucks it up.

Gets a decent rotation spot, no big. Fucks it up.

He's lucky to be getting the few minutes he does on this team. We're the second best team in the conference and he wants out? This guy doesn't wanna win, he doesn't wanna learn from anybody, he just wants his pay day. He's not a Spur.

Send his ass to rot in Charlotte.

That is, if it's him instigating this trade, not his agent.

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 11:13 AM
People getting upset at JA are silly. It's not personal and this type of stuff is common place in the NBA business. As long as he's not a malcontent (which he's not) & plays hard when called upon (which he does ) people should not take exception to this.

hater
02-21-2012, 11:16 AM
b-bye

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 11:22 AM
I still say keep him unless he's part of a package for a big. With Manu unreliable due to constant injury wing depth is critical. Even though a small sample size, JA's advanced impact is solid and he's more valuable to the Spurs right now basketball wise than the value of a dump for nothing.

DrSteffo
02-21-2012, 11:24 AM
I remember when Roger Mason Jr requested a trade... that was kind of funny.

Yes indeed and stupid too. I'm just happy Splitter didn't request a trade.

baseline bum
02-21-2012, 11:28 AM
You can't trade him; I mean, he's worth nothing right now. I definitely see James' side since the Spurs have basically given up on him by not picking up the option, but in no way should they accommodate his request unless they can get a veteran capable of giving a few good minutes every night.

Bruno
02-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I also think that at the end of the day we will see a pure dump scenario. question will be, do the Spurs find a taker, or do they need to include money, that covers the salary, to get rid of him. (like it was the case with Beno). Spurs will still save some tax money. I think for the latter scenario they can wait till deadline, b/c there will be a team that agrees to such a deal.

Good point.
If a team is only interested in cash to do a JA trade, Spurs can as well 3 weeks for the trade deadline. Right now, Spurs shouldn't call other teams about JA. They should wait to see if there are some interest. If nobody is interested, then they should do a salary dump trade with cash at the deadline.

However, the salary of JA' contract will likely become crucial, if the Spurs try to trade Blair. Blair + JA can bring back 3.1 million, what opens quite a lot more options than Blair alone. (like Ilyasova, Randolph, J. Johnson, J. Hill, Thompson, Hickson etc.)

I'm not sure Spurs consider Randolph or Hickson as upgrades over Blair.

GSH
02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
People getting upset at JA are silly. It's not personal and this type of stuff is common place in the NBA business. As long as he's not a malcontent (which he's not) & plays hard when called upon (which he does ) people should not take exception to this.

If he didn't bring it up privately, I'd be upset at him. That "it's a business" thing works both ways, and sitting on the bench could cost him a hell of a lot of money. Doing it publicly is a different story. But you're right, it hasn't seemed to affect his play. And it would be a lot worse if he was a higher-profile player. As long as it doesn't become a repetitive thing, it's not the end of the world. I don't suppose the Spurs would tolerate a locker room distraction for very long anyway.

I'm sure not hating on the guy. I want him to get back to being the rookie James Anderson, and prove the FO wrong.

mountainballer
02-21-2012, 11:48 AM

last years version of Hickson maybe yes, this years version...not so much. with Randolph there's always the upside thing, but yes, maybe this has gone old.

sehui
02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
We don't need him; his choice makes sense.

But can we really only get a 2nd rounder for him? I mean shit wasn't he like a 16-17th pick in the 1st round? What about late 1st-rounder?

mountainballer
02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
no team will invest a 1st rounder in him, knowing he will become an untrestristed FA this summer.

baseline bum
02-21-2012, 12:11 PM
no team will invest a 1st rounder in him, knowing he will become an untrestristed FA this summer.

Especially when he's not really first round talent, especially by this draft's high standards.

sehui
02-21-2012, 12:11 PM

:( we're not going to get anything from a 2nd rounder - it'll just be another Blair or Euro player we shall never see.

And before I hear that crap about Manu being in the 2nd round. That was over 10 years ago, the NBA have technology now - that shit is not going to fly anymore, especially with how international the NBA is.

sehui
02-21-2012, 12:14 PM
should we be tanking or at least doing not as good as we are (i mean we're looking at 1st or 2nd overall in the west) so we can get a higher pick in this year's draft, if its that strong?

I know this is blasphemous talk about purposely doing worse - but resting tony and tim and manu and maybe tanking some games late in the season might do us some good. More rest for the playoffs - possibly higher draft pick.

but we don't really have any trade assets like we did last year to bump up in the draft, and I'm pretty sure none of you guys want to give up Kwahi.

elemento
02-21-2012, 12:16 PM
I am not mad that he didn't work in our system. I thought he would be at least a decent role player. You can't be a big 12 player of the year without some talent.

What bothers me is the fact that our FO wasn't able to trade him.

I mean, Minny got two 2nd round picks for Lazar freaking Hayward. A guy that was riding Minny's bench in his time in the NBA and has little potential.
OKC got a 2nd round pick for BJ Mullens, a guy that spent more time in the D-League than in the NBA.
The Hornets were able to trade Pondexter (who they got after James Anderson in the 2010 draft and had showed nothing as well) to fill a need (Greivis Vasquez).

Why couldn't we get at least a 2nd round pick for him ? Or at least trade him for a big or a player that didn't work for another team. This is the only thing that really bothers me to be honest. At this point James Anderson is wasted pick, wasted money.

K-State Spur
02-21-2012, 12:32 PM
I hate the Mavs, but one thing I like about Mavs coach Rick Carlisle is players get PT based upon how they're currently performing. If a player is struggling and his backup is clearly outplaying him, both in practice and games, that backup gets the minutes. The incumbent has to earn his way back in. Outside of Dirk, that's how Carlisle does his business. He doesn't force-feed PT or develop a loyalty to any player simply because of reputation.

FWIW, Mav fans have been screaming for more minutes for Roddy, Wright, & Jones.

Carlisle is every bit as bad (if that's the right word) as Pop when it comes to showing a preference for veterans.

Gagnrath
02-21-2012, 12:34 PM

RJ is a better physical match for most small forwards, small forwards are expected to post up alot more than shooting guards, and at 6'6" and a fairly soft 215, Anderson gets muscled considerably more than the 6'7" 230 Jefferson it doesn't help that Jefferson also has longer arms and seems to have slightly better speed.

I hope for Anderson's sake as a basketball player he puts some work in the off season into getting stronger and better conditioned as well as putting some work into making his jumpshot more consistent. I just don't see much to make him better than the prospect he was coming out of college two years ago.

Ditty
02-21-2012, 12:38 PM
This really disappoints me. I always been high on Anderson, and had been playing well recently in spare minutes. I hope his agent is more pissed that he didnt have his extension picked up, but will be hard for that to happen with Neal possibly being resigned, and Spurs letting go of Green, unless he comes back for cheap. I hope Spurs give him a 2 year contract this year to prove himself with a full training camp.

venitian navigator
02-21-2012, 12:40 PM
I was one of the people thinking, and i still think, that we should have exercised the option.
The point is just what the F.O. sees now in him.
Frankly, I think they already have understood they made a mistake.
They just have now to decide if they want him back next season or not.
If they don't want him back, no problem...anything (draft choices, cap space or some barely decent big man) we could obtain will be good.
If they still want him (and I think that's the case), for absurd, playing him more than he's currently playing makes no sense...except in case of extreme needing (for ex. more of our guards get injured, or none of them playing decently in the remaining RS games or in the play offs).
This 'cause enhancing his value is not enhancing his market value...but only the chance that next season dome other team jump over him offering more money than the limited amount we can (that's the same money iof the options we didn't exercised).

As of now, the F.O., imho, choose to consider him just a player that needed a lot more time to go back to his old self...probably thinking that his poor play of the beginning of this season was just bacause he was still struggling for adjustment to the different rythm of the game or for some phisical problem.

The point is that in pre season he already showed a good level of playing...and already that should have been enough (there were players loike TP saying he was one of ythe best in training camp) to pick the option.
I suspect that provbably this lack of confiodence by the F.O. could have inspured in his agent to bet on the F.O. behavior (not exercise the option) just to let became his client free in advance, and open to better offeres on the, de facto (considering the rules in his case) free agent market...

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-21-2012, 12:41 PM
The whole situation surrounding JA really makes me disappointed. I really want him to be Spur and I think that he could provide a lot more, if he got more playing time.

Something tells me that if he does go somewhere, he is gonna light it up.

loveforthegame
02-21-2012, 12:52 PM
What a shame. :depressed

Whisky Dog
02-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Seems like he may be motivated, which is more than you can say about Jefferson. If Jefferson doesnt use his recent game winning shot to springboard into more active play then sit Anderson down and tell him he's getting one more shot to show what he can do and he better make the best of it if he wants someone to pay him. Tell him to play team ball within the offense and hustle on defense. Then see what happens.

DesignatedT
02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Yeah I'm not really happy about this. The Spurs should have picked up his option but whatever. Hopefully we can somehow get something decent in return.

timtonymanu
02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Unfortunate but I can't blame James. He's been underwhelming this year but I'm still a big fan of his. He's been very professional about this so far.

JR3
02-21-2012, 01:19 PM
He figured if he can't get minutes with Manu gone, when will he ever get minutes? I don't blame him. Sad thing. I think he is more talented than green. Green's inability to finish at the rim scares me a lot.

Beaverfuzz
02-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Fuck him. Get a big man who can play a couple of years.

DesignatedT
02-21-2012, 01:25 PM
I think JA definitely has more potential than Green in the long run but picking between the 2 this year is pretty much a wash. Green is probably a little better defensively while Anderson can score more. They are probably about the same from long distance.

FreeMad Dan
02-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Send him to Austin to get some minutes. Bring him back a bit before the play offs and see how he does. If he still isn't living up to expecations then a trade isn't a bad idea at all.

2nd year players, especially those that were hurt their entire rookie season shouldn't be complaining about the minutes they are getting. Especially when they have yet to prove they are worth extended mpg.

SequSpur
02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Whatever..good for him...he can play..Joseph is not very good though...ja will he ballin elsewhere...pops fault but hey...the guys in front of him are ballin it and spurs are winnin...so Fo...

z0sa
02-21-2012, 02:18 PM
This should surprise no one. People he worked out with during the lock out said he had definite talent and anyone who saw him play in his limited time last season knows it is true. He wants burn and probably deserves it, but the Spurs just can't fit him in. Really too bad they didn't pick up his option.

Brutalis
02-21-2012, 02:19 PM
He's in a tough situation where he's going to need minutes to improve and get into a rhythm, but as of right now he's not really better than the players in front of him in the rotation so he's going to have a hard time getting those minutes. His injury last season really messed things up for him.

I can't believe TD was hit for a foul on your sig. That was BS.

Then again with today's NBA and TD never getting respect from officials I actually can believe it.

Spursfan092120
02-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Don't let the doorknob hit you....well you know the rest.

Spursfan092120
02-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I can't believe TD was hit for a foul on your sig. That was BS.

Then again with today's NBA and TD never getting respect from officials I actually can believe it.

That was the block. Pretty sure he didn't get called for that one.

Killakobe81
02-21-2012, 02:34 PM

DPG with the goods. And Im guessing watching Lin make the most of his chances probably doesn't help. Every former college star (and Anderson surely qualifies) languishing at the end of someone's bench ...will feel they just need the right team and opportunity to become an NBA star ...

Mel_13
02-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I'd expect that Anderson wants to go to a team where he'll get more pt. That's perfectly normal. His agent is doing his job to let the FO know that James wants out. That's fine, too. I don't like the agent going to the press with this (unless Bruno's theory is correct).

That all being said, James was give ample opportunities to carve out a place in the rotation and was outperformed by other players. Time for everyone to move on. Good luck to him with his next team.

TD 21
02-21-2012, 03:18 PM
James Anderson for Craig Brackins?
Wow, can't believe the surprise in training camp would leave like this.

Yeah, this is commonplace and makes sense. Nonetheless, the Spurs don't like keeping players who are unhappy with their playing time or lack thereof, particularly when they're making decent money (he's inexpensive, but it's not like he's making the minimum). Like Ratliff two seasons ago, look for Anderson to be given away for a future 2nd round pick. Wouldn't surprise me if there's provisions on it, they don't get it for a few years and when they do, it ends up being of zero value (unless they fluke out).

Anderson for Brackins or Samuels, has crossed my mind. Two bigs who have seemingly fallen out of favor and are buried on their team's benches and two teams that could use wing depth. But I think Samuels would be the more likely of the two. Unless the 76ers sustain an injury, there's no room in the rotation for Anderson. Whereas with the Cavs, once they trade Sessions, they'd have an opening in their rotation for Anderson. I'd prefer Brackins though.

stephen jackson
02-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Send his ass to rot in Charlotte.

only way im happy with a trade.
knowing the spurs we send him to the clippers.:depressed

Tuddy
02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I reckon they resign Anderson and amnesty RJ next season. The guy needs screens - he scored most of his points in college coming off screens and either shooting or getting to the rim so he needs plays run for him.

8FOR!3
02-21-2012, 05:21 PM
We didn't pick up his option, he wants a chance to prove he deserves a decent contract. It doesn't bother me that he's wanting a trade. It's not like he's dogging the team and saying he hates it here. I mean, it was our choice not to pick up the third year.

MaNu4Tres
02-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Sweet another quality player being let go or traded when his value is at the bare floor.

From Udrih to Scola to Mahinmi and now Anderson. Not the best business if you're the Spurs but hey they can't be perfect 100% of the time.

GSH
02-21-2012, 05:32 PM
I reckon they resign Anderson and amnesty RJ next season. The guy needs screens - he scored most of his points in college coming off screens and either shooting or getting to the rim so he needs plays run for him.

Tuddy - are you from Michigan?

Robz4000
02-21-2012, 05:57 PM
He's been on the trading block for a while, and I guess he finally realized it/came to terms with it. Now they just need to find the right package to help the team. Unless the FO can get a 3rd big that can guard athletic bigmen to a decent level, I say hold onto Anderson. He's proven he can play decently and can be an asset to this team when given the chance, but there's just too many good players on the wing to overcome it seems.

Mr. Body
02-21-2012, 06:11 PM
It's pretty obvious the Spurs are trying to drive down his value by not playing him at all, even back of the rotation. He's right to try to get to a better situation.

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Sweet another quality player being let go or traded when his value is at the bare floor.

From Udrih to Scola to Mahinmi and now Anderson. Not the best business if you're the Spurs but hey they can't be perfect 100% of the time.

It all depends on your definition of a "quality" player. Scola was horrible trade to save money. Udrih is on his 3rd team, and Mahimni, who started out strong, is now losing minutes to Wright. I still hope the Spurs can keep Anderson though. If the Spurs decide to amnesty RJ this Summer, I could see Anderson having a legit chance to crack the rotation next year.

jestersmash
02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
It's pretty obvious the Spurs are trying to drive down his value by not playing him at all, even back of the rotation. He's right to try to get to a better situation.

And how could this possibly benefit the Spurs?

He's a trade-able asset right now. Why would the spurs purposely want to drive his value down?

If Pop doesn't give him meaningful minutes the rest of this season, do you really think he's going to want to resign with the spurs (for cheap)? He'll probably sign elsewhere.

Again, driving down his value would serve no purpose to the Spurs F.O.

Sense
02-21-2012, 06:21 PM
I say let him walk... I honestly never saw enough out of him to get excited about his future. I just hope we get a decent pick or another young gun with potential back..

I just don't see Anderson fitting well with this team, and the fact that he has been mediocre through out his time as a Spur really wont make me miss him.

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2012, 06:27 PM

if they can resign him on the cheap then what his option was, that be a good move to save some money...amnesty that rj clown...

to all you believers out there, if he cant even beat that scrub rj for minutes, let alone the one dimensional players in green and KL, then he has no business asking for minutes ahead of those guys..

i dont think he get better then green or kl, the confidence in green this season will only pushed him work on his game more efficiently as a shooter...defensively green and kl is already there...

hence isnt green and neal are up for contract renewals, explains why they didnt pick up andersons option

SpurNation
02-21-2012, 06:30 PM

This. +1. Agree. Winner!!!

It be one thing if Anderson were "proving" something on the court. Quite another when given chances and NOT being productive.

Hopefully he will be traded for someone of value that comes in and shows JA how to "earn" time on the court.

P.S. (Gary Neal took his chance and ran with it) Undrafted at that. Can't feel too sorry for someone who's had as much opportunity if not more yet not able to rise above.

Hooks
02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
This sucks, JA has a lot of potential and the Spurs won't be able to get shit for him in a trade.

At least the spurs are stacked at SG though making Anderson ependable.

The Truth #6
02-21-2012, 06:37 PM
He sucked early but since they didn't pick up the option he's actually been pretty good, in my opinion. In fact, I think Pop needs to play him more, especially when Green has an off game. Pop may have already written him off...or is testing him by randomly throwing him into semi-important game situations to test his resolve. So far he's done well.

I think he has the potential to be better than Green in the long run.

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 06:39 PM

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2012, 06:51 PM

you need to back that shit up, how is his a better potential then green? the only thing he has over green is a better offensive game...

Kewni Leonard
02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Chalk it up as another failure for the most overrated front office in sports.

Kewni Leonard
02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
That said, for a player of this stature to be asking for a trade is not only insane, it is laughable.

DMC
02-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Poor bastard only making 1.5 mil two years out of college.

Kewni Leonard
02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Good point.

I'm sure they don't, seeing as they are morons. 6'11", long, blocks shots and handles like a SF. Can check anyone 2-5 adequately.

SpurNation
02-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Chalk it up as another failure for the most overrated front office in sports.

The failure being Anderson not producing better than anticipated or the Spurs misjudging his talent?

MannyIsGod
02-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Sick of marginal wing players on the Spurs who think they are good enough to go elsewhere. Earn your fucking minutes and stop acting like its the situation and not your shitty shooting.

Players who do this don't end up doing much better in other places because they don't think its about them. What is JA going to think when he gets traded to Minnesota and still can't hit an open 3 to save his life? Good luck demanding a trade from that D league team you're playing for at that time.

I wish he would have just stfu and waited for his opportunity to prove himself and simply been a good team player. This shit is like Loyd Daniels one day up and demanding a trade.

Kewni Leonard
02-21-2012, 07:21 PM
The failure being Anderson not producing better than anticipated or the Spurs misjudging his talent?

Wasted first round pick, just like Joseph. You at least pick up that small option of his and see if he can improve at all, rather than bringing in some 10 days next year or d-league players, too. WTF are they doing?

I like what Leonard brings to the team, but George Hill is twice the player that he is.

Front office is so overrated. Hilarious.

MaNu4Tres
02-21-2012, 07:22 PM

Neither.

Spurs are just overwhelmed with talent at the wing. Fact is Anderson didn't get much of real opportunity because of the amount of depth. Yes he got quality minutes to start the year to prove himself, but for how long? 5-7 games? That's not a big enough of a sample size to make an end all judgement of a player.

To prove my point, Duncan started off the year terribly the first 5-6 games are so, but as the season went on and as the sample size increased, Duncan has been able to show his true colors-- much like Anderson has in recent games when he's been given little opportunity.

Mel_13
02-21-2012, 07:25 PM
I like what Leonard brings to the team, but George Hill is twice the player that he is.

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Sick of marginal wing players on the Spurs who think they are good enough to go elsewhere. Earn your fucking minutes and stop acting like its the situation and not your shitty shooting.

Players who do this don't end up doing much better in other places because they don't think its about them. What is JA going to think when he gets traded to Minnesota and still can't hit an open 3 to save his life? Good luck demanding a trade from that D league team you're playing for at that time.

I wish he would have just stfu and waited for his opportunity to prove himself and simply been a good team player. This shit is like Loyd Daniels one day up and demanding a trade.

He's played pretty damn well in his limited minutes lately and it's yielded no more playing time while RJ plays terrible and gets minutes regardless.

jbspurs
02-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Wasted first round pick, just like Joseph. You at least pick up that small option of his and see if he can improve at all, rather than bringing in some 10 days next year or d-league players, too. WTF are they doing?

:nope

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Hes trolling. No one could be that moronic, I think. :lol

Kewni Leonard
02-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Yeah. A whopping 6 points and 5 boards a game, to go along with terribly mediocre shooting and an awful +/-, despite relatively consistent playing time. Compare that to George Hill, who arguably should have won 6th man of the year and you really have no basis for argument.

Kewni Leonard
02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Hes trolling. No one could be that moronic, I think. :lol

Refer to previous post for your medicine.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-21-2012, 07:43 PM
I can't really blame him and anyone in his position would be stupid not to request a trade. He wants more playing time so he can show what he can do in a contract year.

This. The Spurs already told him they don't have him in their plans. He's just reciprocating.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-21-2012, 07:44 PM
We didn't pick up his option, he wants a chance to prove he deserves a decent contract. It doesn't bother me that he's wanting a trade. It's not like he's dogging the team and saying he hates it here. I mean, it was our choice not to pick up the third year.

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah. A whopping 6 points and 5 boards a game, to go along with terribly mediocre shooting and an awful +/-, despite relatively consistent playing time. Compare that to George Hill, who arguably should have won 6th man of the year and you really have no basis for argument.

Whose arguing? Only a weak attempt at trolling would someone try tocome up with this kind of dumb shit. You had a good run at it, till this lame opinion though. :lol

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 07:51 PM
I agree with Kewni

SpurNation
02-21-2012, 07:58 PM

Can't agree.

How is Leonard a wasted first round pick? He's already performed better his rookie year than Hill. And I think you're judging Hill after 3 years compared to Leonard only being a rookie. Plus...they play different positions...but for the money and comparing rookie stats...Leonard is proving to be the better player.

Regarding the 10 days...name a big in the draft last year the Spurs could have gotten when selecting Joseph that has made an impact for the team they're playing on this year.

Granted...Not picking up Anderson's option just may be a mistake unless they can get something of value in a trade. OR...it all could be smoke up the A** blowing by his agent. Bottomline...Anderson did not prove much when given the opportunity to shine. Others did. As a coach you go with who proves to be the better player in a situation of second year players.

By the way...Those comparing this to Duncan's slow start are reaching. Who would you of had replace Duncan?

Kewni Leonard
02-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Whose arguing? Only a weak attempt at trolling would someone try tocome up with this kind of dumb shit. You had a good run at it, till this lame opinion though. :lol

I'm sorry if your feeble mind cannot deduce from said statistics who is clearly the better player.

Kewni Leonard
02-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Can't agree.

How is Leonard a wasted first round pick? He's already performed better his rookie year than Hill. And I think you're judging Hill after 3 years compared to Leonard only being a rookie. Plus...they play different positions...but for the money and comparing rookie stats...Leonard is proving to be the better player.

He is not a wasted first round pick. Anderson and Joseph are, though. I'm judging who could have helped the Spurs more this season, which is all that matters. I don't care what is a fair comparison, that is irrelevant. At this point, George Hill is a better player than Leonard, there's really no debating that.

Regarding the 10 days...name a big in the draft last year the Spurs could have gotten when selecting Joseph that has made an impact for the team they're playing on this year.This is irrelevant. Joseph was much lower on almost everyone's board and would have been there in the 2nd round. That is, if you wanted to take a scrub like this. Fact of the matter is, he's awful. He is a wasted first round pick.

By the way...Those comparing this to Duncan's slow start are reaching. Who would you of had replace Duncan?I wouldn't ever doubt Tim Duncan, not in a million years. I was not one of these people.

MaNu4Tres
02-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Kewni do you understand why Hill was traded?

jjktkk
I agree with Kewni

Trading Hill for the draft rights to Leonard, not to mention the pick used to draft Bertrans, and the rights to Lorbek. Thats a 3 for 1 trade, which looking at Leonard's impressive play as a rookie so far, is icing on the cake. Hill was a good player, but the Spurs traded from a position of strength, having Manu, Tony, Gary, and Anderson, to offset the loss of Hill. How long have the Spurs been trying to replace Bowen? Leonard is already the team's best perimeter defender, which was Hill's job as well, but Leonard's length easily makes him a better defender than Hill imo. While Hill was solid, he disappeared at times, and also could not be counted on to play the point consistantly. Hill is better offensive player, but I can see Leonard eventually improving enough in that area to not be a detriment. I also bring up Hill's lack of size as well. I liked Hill as a player, but I honestly can't see how you view the Hill trade a a bad one.

DesignatedT
I do the George Hill for Kawhi trade 10 out of 10 times if we had to do it over. Right now in his 4th year George might be a little more well rounded (also hurt btw) but if Kawhi continues to progress and actually get to go through summer ball and an NB A training camp (people forget he didn't have this luxury) it's pretty scary to think what he can be in his 4th year. Kawhi also fills a huge role on this team for this season as well.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 08:08 PM
good, he hasnt done much anyways. should try and trade him and blair for another quality big.

That would be retarded. The Spurs can't continue to piss away draft picks. They have to start building for the future and that would leave them with just one semi-successful draft pick since 2001 (Splitter in 2007). I don't see how picking up a "hold me over big" for the remainder of a shortened season is going to benefit the spurs long term. If they were going to sign an impact player, one who they can resign after the season, then it would make sense. But Buford took care of that when he chose to keep RJ around. For a franchise that supposedly makes all the right moves, they have really made some piss-poor decisions of late.

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 08:14 PM
He is not a wasted first round pick. Anderson and Joseph are, though. I'm judging who could have helped the Spurs more this season, which is all that matters. I don't care what is a fair comparison, that is irrelevant. At this point, George Hill is a better player than Leonard, there's really no debating that.

This is irrelevant. Joseph was much lower on almost everyone's board and would have been there in the 2nd round. That is, if you wanted to take a scrub like this. Fact of the matter is, he's awful. He is a wasted first round pick.

I wouldn't ever doubt Tim Duncan, not in a million years. I was not one of these people.

Maybe you should start a thread, with a poll, on who the better player is, Hill, or Leonard.

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 08:15 PM
:lol I was joking. Kewni is a dummy.

therealtruth
02-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Neither.

Spurs are just overwhelmed with talent at the wing. Fact is Anderson didn't get much of real opportunity because of the amount of depth. Yes he got quality minutes to start the year to prove himself, but for how long? 5-7 games? That's not a big enough of a sample size to make an end all judgement of a player.

To prove my point, Duncan started off the year terribly the first 5-6 games are so, but as the season went on and as the sample size increased, Duncan has been able to show his true colors-- much like Anderson has in recent games when he's been given little opportunity.

It's all about opportunity though. If Jeremy Lin doesn't play well against the Nets does he even get a chance to start the next game and begin his amazing run?

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 08:16 PM
:lol I was joking. Kewni is a dummy.

You scared me for a second.

therealtruth
02-21-2012, 08:17 PM
That would be retarded. The Spurs can't continue to piss away draft picks. They have to start building for the future and that would leave them with just one semi-successful draft pick since 2001 (Splitter in 2007). I don't see how picking up a "hold me over big" for the remainder of a shortened season is going to benefit the spurs long term. If they were going to sign an impact player, one who they can resign after the season, then it would make sense. But Buford took care of that when he chose to keep RJ around. For a franchise that supposedly makes all the right moves, they have really made some piss-poor decisions of late.

The whole purpose of drafting a big overseas is so they can develop while getting minutes so they are ready when they get here. If Pop is going to do what he did with Splitter last year it doesn't make sense. You may as well get him sitting on the bench sooner.

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 08:19 PM
I still don't agree the Hill trade was a "win now" move, but it was a great trade.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm sure they don't, seeing as they are morons. 6'11", long, blocks shots and handles like a SF. Can check anyone 2-5 adequately.

Is that why he's fallen out of the rotation on a team on the outside of the playoff bubble?

FuzzyLumpkins
02-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Just look at Hill's rookie numbers. Hes just a hater and more likely just trolling.

GrandeDavid
02-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Eh. That's not exactly a trade request. Most young players in the league who aren't playing have agents who are "encouraging" a trade. Nothing too special about this situation. Money-wise, it makes no sense for JA to stay with the Spurs.

Honestly, I still think the Spurs should have picked up that option. He's been good enough in his most recent stints to warrant a closer look.

I don't think the Spurs should just give him away or salary dump him somewhere. Either get a halfway decent second round pick for him or keep him around in case circumstances change enough to where bringing him back makes sense.

I agree with you, LJ. I have a feeling the Spurs will regret this. I am very surprised they didn't pick up his cheap option. Boy, he must be a real slouch behind the scenes.

SpurNation
02-21-2012, 08:46 PM

This is irrelevant. Joseph was much lower on almost everyone's board and would have been there in the 2nd round. That is, if you wanted to take a scrub like this. Fact of the matter is, he's awful. He is a wasted first round pick.

I wouldn't ever doubt Tim Duncan, not in a million years. I was not one of these people.

It's not relevant that Leonard looks to be a better talent than Hill?

How is Joseph "awful"? Do you expect him to be better than the level he was picked? Agreed...not a relevant action at the time he was picked in the draft. Question...Who would have been?

I wasn't pointing you out as doubting Duncan. I was making point of what somebody else said when I said "By the way...Those comparing..."

MannyIsGod
02-21-2012, 08:48 PM
He's played pretty damn well in his limited minutes lately and it's yielded no more playing time while RJ plays terrible and gets minutes regardless.

He's had a handful of decent runs but its nothing to write home about. This isn't about RJ - I don't know anyone here who wants to see him play - but about JA doing something that puts himself ahead of the team.

Just no excuse. He just needs to STFU and play well when he gets his chances.

5in10
02-21-2012, 08:52 PM
I guess this explains why James Anderson was seen in NY with R.C. as stated in another thread. Too lazy to post the thread link.

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 08:57 PM
He's had a handful of decent runs but its nothing to write home about. This isn't about RJ - I don't know anyone here who wants to see him play - but about JA doing something that puts himself ahead of the team.

I think you are blowing it out of proportion. I also think it's a double standard to say "a guy just needs to play hard and earn minutes" and then say "it's not about RJ" when the minutes are not given out based on who is playing the hardest or best.

This is a business. He's not being disruptive. He's not loafing like RJ when he gets minutes. He's approaching every second with the Spurs professionally by continually being prepared while being yanked in and out of the rotation.

Tuddy
02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Tuddy - are you from Michigan?

Close - Australia :lol

Cane
02-21-2012, 09:07 PM
James Anderson had what was probably a career ending surgery on his broken foot, it was a surgery that ended several other players careers IIRC

Anyway this looks like the Roger Mason Jr situation all over again and the Spurs will help JA move on, damn shame that the Heat 2nd round pick expired before they could trade it to San Antonio in that Mason Jr. deal.

I do think JA will get opportunities tonight and that brutal April stretch but his future with the Spurs is probably grim.

Sucks to see JA in this situation, dude looks like a good and talented small town kid

mingus
02-21-2012, 10:19 PM
He should STFU. He got drafted, he new what the possibilities were, and he needs to accept that his fate on the team is not what he wanted it to be. He has had every opportunity to show he does not suck, and he has not been able to do that. His problem.

Proxy
02-21-2012, 10:28 PM
He should STFU. He got drafted, he new what the possibilities were, and he needs to accept that his fate on the team is not what he wanted it to be. He has had every opportunity to show he does not suck, and he has not been able to do that. His problem.

Backwards thinking on your part Mingus, tbh.

NBA is a business. This is his job, his life. He has every right and SA is a guard heavy team. He's doing what he can at this point.

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2012, 10:59 PM
finally he gets some minutes against the blazers after his grande announcement, yet continues to play like a scrub....

Ditty
02-21-2012, 11:03 PM
finally he gets some minutes against the blazers after his grande announcement, yet continues to play like a scrub....

:rolleyes

who is playing well?

Wild Cobra Kai
02-21-2012, 11:12 PM

I just don't understand this attitude. This isn't happening in a vacuum. The Spurs basically told him a few weeks ago that his time with the team is short, measurable in months. He's just asking for it to be shorter. He also wasn't the one to reveal it. If Buck Harvey has the info, the team gave it to him.

I don't understand the anger directed at James. He was put into a horrible no win position by the Spurs. He's been told he'll be looking for work this summer, but given little to no chance to show his wares. He needs to be seen to get an invite to training camp with someone. He simply wants that chance, and realizes he won't get it here.

TJastal
02-21-2012, 11:13 PM
I just don't understand this attitude. This isn't happening in a vacuum. The Spurs basically told him a few weeks ago that his time with the team is short, measurable in months. He's just asking for it to be shorter. He also wasn't the one to reveal it. If Buck Harvey has the info, the team gave it to him.

I don't understand the anger directed at James. He was put into a horrible no win position by the Spurs. He's been told he'll be looking for work this summer, but given little to no chance to show his wares. He needs to be seen to get an invite to training camp with someone. He simply wants that chance, and realizes he won't get it here.

:violin

MannyIsGod
02-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Oh Buck can't talk to agents?

underdawg
02-21-2012, 11:18 PM
I don't blame Anderson - it's not his fault that Pop's stubborn in addressing the Spurs lack of depth in the front line. Pop figured out that the Spurs can't win without defense and instead of inserting players that can defend the paint from the front line, he's decided to remedy the weakness with Green and Leonard. It's been working to a degree so far - I hope it works in the playoffs.

TJastal
02-21-2012, 11:36 PM
:lmao @ airball from 22 feet

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2012, 11:40 PM
this guy is fkn pathetic, he finally gets minutes tonoight, as much as KL and Green tonight, yet those 2 are outperforming him individually, yet he has done shit all....even with the ballhogging, his not nailin shit....

Wild Cobra Kai
02-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Oh Buck can't talk to agents?

He either got it from the team, or ran it by them. You don't just run shit and keep your job in this town. Ask O'Keefe.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-21-2012, 11:44 PM
this guy is fkn pathetic, he finally gets minutes tonoight, as much as KL and Green tonight, yet those 2 are outperforming him individually, yet he has done shit all....even with the ballhogging, his not nailin shit....

Neal is playing like shit. Cut him!!

JR3
02-21-2012, 11:58 PM
I was a little bitter at pop for not playing Anderson. I've watched enough of this Portland game to fully forgive pop. Anderson is weak.

mingus
02-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Backwards thinking on your part Mingus, tbh.

NBA is a business. This is his job, his life. He has every right and SA is a guard heavy team. He's doing what he can at this point.

Where did I say he does not have a right to demand a trade? You are distorting what I said. Either that or you cannot read.

His livelihood is not in jeopardy. He is in a position in life monetarily that mo

st would envy. He is making over a million dollars annually and he is hardly worth that. He had every opportunity to extend his career here. There is no injustice being done to him. He should be thankful, play out his contract, and work out for a team this summer.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 12:10 AM
Anderson's with the worst +/- (-41) so far.. and we're not even done yet.

Sense
02-22-2012, 12:29 AM
I think it's safe to say we don't want this guy in our future :)

venitian navigator
02-22-2012, 02:35 AM
I still think he can be useful like a third string g/sf.
And I won't exclude that he could have a decent role in our future at a small (certainly no more than his non exercised options, by rule) price.
To me he looks a lot like RJ.
In our system, he just have to regain his shooting ability...that, probably, already now is something comparable at the one of RJ.
Considering what RJ has given us this season till now (and the big chance of amnesty next year) then that's more than possible that next season we could have quite like the same kind of contribution from Anderson at less than 1/10 the price.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 02:35 AM
I'm pretty sure JA's agent won't be talking trade anytime soon after tonights forgettable performance.

sasffl
02-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Which team will trade for him after tonight? He should have been DNP again

TJastal
02-22-2012, 05:21 AM
Which team will trade for him after tonight? He should have been DNP again

Yep, 2-12 with a horrible airball from well inside the arc. Any slim chance the spurs had of using him to land an impact big just flew out the window.

Not that surprising really. I'm sure Pop was hoping for a better performance to boost his trade value but really should have known better than to take a gamble like that.

UnWantedTheory
02-22-2012, 05:23 AM
Sayonara.

benefactor
02-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Try playing better.
Well so much for that.

Calispursfan11
02-22-2012, 06:18 AM
You can tell JA isn't into it. He's just not that happy overall.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 06:23 AM
You can tell JA isn't into it. He's just not that happy overall.

He's really just not that good at basketball. The unhappiness might be stemming from that.

:lol

Kewni Leonard
02-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Kewni do you understand why Hill was traded?

Yes, because Holt is a cheap drunk.

Kewni Leonard
02-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Leonard is already the team's best perimeter defender

Danny Green has clearly been better on defense.

Kewni Leonard
02-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Maybe you should start a thread, with a poll, on who the better player is, Hill, or Leonard.

Maybe if there was an IQ test needed to post on the poll I would do something like that, but really, I don't need a poll to tell me who the better player is currently. I already know.

Kewni Leonard
02-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Is that why he's fallen out of the rotation on a team on the outside of the playoff bubble?

No. His attitude. The same reason he didn't play in New York. But your efforts at sarcasm are commendable.

Kewni Leonard
02-22-2012, 07:10 AM
Just look at Hill's rookie numbers. Hes just a hater and more likely just trolling.

I'm sorry... is George Hill going into his rookie season? Who was talking about George Hill as a rookie again? Because I certainly wasn't.

Kewni Leonard
02-22-2012, 07:11 AM
It's not relevant that Leonard looks to be a better talent than Hill?

I don't care about the future. The future means shit. After Duncan is gone, this team is done. Forever.

SpurNation
02-22-2012, 10:09 AM
I don't care about the future. The future means shit. After Duncan is gone, this team is done. Forever.

:rollin:rollin:rollin

And you want to be the GM of the Spurs? Or so you said in a not so distant thread.

cheguevara
02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
this guy is trash.

Kewni Leonard
02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
:rollin:rollin:rollin

And you want to be the GM of the Spurs? Or so you said in a not so distant thread.

If I was GM, obviously, I would think differently. I would have to, to keep my job. Though, if put in RC Buford's situation, where I am set for life financially, I am all-in for a championship the next 2-3 years and I don't give a shit about the distant future.

wildbill2u
02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
After last night's extended minutes, he didn't show anything. His layup attempts kept getting blocked from behind because he was so slow. Perimeter shooting is not good either. Slow and low BB IQ won't get it in the NBA.

I don't know if they can get anything for him in a trade that would actually be a good upgrade of the roster.

Maybe they could package him with Cory Joseph for a second round draft pick in 2020.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-22-2012, 11:43 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=76l8jfg

acoelho1
02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
It's amazing to me how some on this forum bash the Spurs front office when they are regarded around the league as the best runned organization. Sure, they make mistakes but look at some of the other team's track record. As far as JA, I become less impress with him each time I see him play. It could be the situation he is in with no playing time but I have yet to see anything to justify keeping him around. But who knows, he could become star player and all the whiners will come out on this forum saying they told us so.

loveforthegame
02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
What a way to show the team what you can do. He had been doing ok in short stints but last night he couldn't get a thing right. Attacked a few times but couldn't finish and he can't hit a 3 to save his life.

Kewni Leonard
02-22-2012, 11:55 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=76l8jfg

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7ehdpc4

Amuseddaysleeper
02-22-2012, 12:23 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7ehdpc4

Yours is more realistic, you win :toast

sasffl
02-22-2012, 12:30 PM
My trade advice : RJ+JA+Blair for Stephen Jackson+Larry Sanders+Brockman

TJastal
02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
My trade advice : RJ+JA+Blair for Stephen Jackson+Larry Sanders+Brockman

Why do you guys keep tabbing the bucks for these outrageous phantom RJ trades? They already got rid of him once on a ridiculous contract I'm sure the owner isn't going to try re-acquire him again, and especially with only gimpy trash players thrown in to the deal. Sheesh!

Beaverfuzz
02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey James Anderson, you looked like dogshit last night in Portland. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out you scrub!

TJastal
02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Hey James Anderson, you looked like dogshit last night in Portland. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out you scrub!

Well now that pussy Pop just screwed you both over by giving in to your whining demands for more PT. Now your ass isn't going anywhere!

:pop: I thought it was only fair to James that he be given a chance to showcase himself even if it meant ruining what little of his trade value was left. I was really happy with Eric Dawson's performance anyway.

Mr. Body
02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Yes, because Holt is a cheap drunk.

Holt spent all his money backing Rick Perry for President. How did that work out?

DesignatedT
02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
:pop: I thought it was only fair to James that he be given a chance to showcase himself even if it meant ruining what little of his trade value was left. I was really happy with Eric Dawson's performance anyway.

So, before the game started you would have sat here and said "The Spurs should not play Anderson at all tonight because he's going to diminish his trade value"

:lmao gtfo with this retarded ass shit already.

Beaverfuzz
02-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Dawson looked overmatched but he had his moments. Should be some good practice in the next few weeks for him (I'm assuming he sticks around for the year) against Duncan in practice.

Now James Anderson (and Joseph to a smaller extent), not sure what kind of help he needs but whatever it is, he needs a lot of it!

elemento
02-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Dawson is horrible

he looks older than Kurt Thomas playing. i don't see this dude getting a 2 1-day contract.

temujin
02-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Ill advised move to go all out saying this.

Anderson better find another NBA team willing to pay him 1.4 M.

Because if there isnt' one, and he has to come to Europe, he will have to settle for a tenth of that money.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 02:48 PM
So, before the game started you would have sat here and said "The Spurs should not play Anderson at all tonight because he's going to diminish his trade value"

:lmao gtfo with this retarded ass shit already.

He was requesting a trade publically through his agent, so it was really up to Pop whether the risk was worth it or not. Of course, you know my position on James Anderson so you should know what decision I would have made.

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Well now that pussy Pop just screwed you both over by giving in to your whining demands for more PT. Now your ass isn't going anywhere!

Why do you insist on being a dumbass? Why would any team in the NBA trade for Anderson without see what his potential is? How else are potential trade partners gonna evaluate Anderson without seeing him on the court?

TJastal
02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Why do you insist on being a dumbass? Why would any team in the NBA trade for Anderson without see what his potential is? How else are potential trade partners gonna evaluate Anderson without seeing him on the court?

Well we don't have to worry about trading him now, people have seen he has no potential. Problem solved.

Robz4000
02-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Like some of the ideas brought up in this article. Some of them would be long shots but I've seen far worse proposed on this board.

NBA Trade Rumors: How Will The Spurs Respond to James Anderson's Trade Request?

by The Big Fundamental (http://www.sbnation.com/users/The%20Big%20Fundamental) on Feb 22, 2012 12:44 AM CST (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/2/22/2815614/nba-trade-rumors-james-andersons-) in Analysis (http://www.poundingtherock.com/section/analysis-7)

It's a shame that shooting guard James Anderson (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/112014/james-anderson) has encouraged the Spurs (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/san-antonio-spurs) to trade him (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/report-spurs-james-anderson-requests-trade/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter). It's also quite interesting that Anderson's agent, whose client is only one year removed from being drafted with the No. 20 pick in the 2010 Draft, has made his frustrations known to the public.
Like Steve Novak (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21790/steve-novak) and Beno Udrih (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21771/beno-udrih) before him, PATFO (http://www.poundingtherock.com/pages/ptr-lexicon#PATFO) have been very accommodating when their players have wanted to go to a different team. I expect them to do the same mostly because we have built solid depth at the SG/SF spots to withstand "giving" up on last year's No. 1 overall pick and because the Spurs value team chemistry and continuity over athletic ability. They don't want an unhappy player to inhabit the locker room and influence the team in a negative way. I'm not necessarily calling Anderson unfit to play for the Spurs (he's not that kind of player) but with his intentions public, it would be the ethical thing to let him attempt to salvage a career. Not to mention that his playing time has dwindled to nearly zero for stretches of the season.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Of course, PATFO (http://www.poundingtherock.com/pages/ptr-lexicon#PATFO) are notorious for being extremely methodical and will not make any panic trades just because Anderson wants out. So, if I really had to choose, I'd bet on Anderson being traded somewhere before the trading deadline. But the Spurs could easily sit on their depth and, if injuries arise, increase Anderson's role on the team.
In reality, the combination of poor shooting (.386 FG%) and opportunity really hampered Anderson's ability to excel in Pop's system. Aside from lesser defense and less efficient percentages, his numbers actually compare reasonably well with Danny Green (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/71944/danny-green). I understand his frustration but I wish he was patient enough to endure the hardships because the potential growth learning under Coach Pop is enormous. Yes, I was looking forward to watching Anderson bloom into a solid player (not to mention CapHill's irrational obsession would endure) and his improvement this offseason even had Tony Parker (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21781/tony-parker) impressed. I wish him luck in his future endeavors but just not against the Spurs.
Anyway, this gives Spurs fans the rare opportunity to break out the NBA Trade Machine (http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine) and put on our RC Buford hats on for once. This doesn't happen often so, hey, that's pretty fun right?
Anderson and Matt Bonner (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21772/matt-bonner) to the Milwaukee Bucks (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/milwaukee-bucks) for Ersan Ilyasova (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21672/ersan-ilyasova) and Larry Sanders (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/111962/larry-sanders).
Originally, I pondered sending Anderson and DeJuan Blair (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/71936/dejuan-blair) for Ilyasova and while that technically works, it has no realistic chance to get Ilyasova. Then I was intrigued by the possibility of sending Anderson and Bonner for Tobias Harris (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/150196/tobias-harris) and Ilyasova but I felt acquiring Sanders, who fills a big hole on our team, would be best.
The Trade Machine estimates this trade would add about three wins to the current Spurs squad. This is one of those pipe dream trades that Spurs fans would absolutely love. The Spurs would be adding a six-foot-10 power forward capable of banging on the boards with just about anyone (5th among PF's in total rebound rate) and an athletic center, at six-foot-11, who is capable of stealing the ball at the same rate as TJ Ford (1.58 steals per 40 minutes) and protecting the rim (3.7 blocks per 40 minutes). The only justification for Milwaukee accepting this trade would be either their lack of depth at shooting guard, their fear of losing Ilyasova for nothing or general manger John Hammond coincidentally succumbing to alcoholism and signing off on the trade unknowingly. Let's hope Hammond finds that pristine bottle of wine somewhere.
Anderson to the Washington Wizards (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/washington-wizards) for Trevor Booker (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/112570/trevor-booker).
Booker is a high motor player that has stood out on an otherwise hopeless Wizards team. He can rebound well, create turnovers, block shots and doesn't require the ball on the offensive side. He's the prototypical glue player, one willing to do whatever necessary and would probably be a favorite of Pop's. I like the deal but I don't think this would help make the rotation any more concrete than it is today. We'd still be dealing with a lot of guys with the same skill sets and without the ability to play more than five guys at a time, it would be increasingly hard to satisfy everyone.
Anderson, Bonner, Richard Jefferson (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21550/richard-jefferson) and Cory Joseph (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/150317/cory-joseph) to the Phoenix Suns (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/phoenix-suns) for Steve Nash (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21914/steve-nash).
(Just kidding).
Anderson and Blair to the Philadelphia 76ers (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/philadelphia-76ers) for Nikola Vucevic (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/149894/nikola-vucevic).
Vucevic's modest 6.3 points, 5.0 rebounds and 0.8 blocks averages may seem modest but don't let that fool you. He's posting these numbers despite only 16.7 minutes per game. In reality, he's an elite defender and, if he qualified, his ridiculous 93 defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) would only be behind defensive beasts, Dwight Howard (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21602/dwight-howard) and Marcus Camby (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21503/marcus-camby). He doesn't block shots (although 1.9 per 40 minutes isn't too shabby either) with the voracity of most centers but his defensive exploits are much more subtle. It is of no surprise that the majority of lineups with Vucevic at center allow less than one point per possession. Opposing centers against Vucevic manage a miniscule .489 eFG% and a 14.9 PER. At the age of 21, he has a lot of room to grow individually. Fun clutch statistic: (clutch is loosely defined as under five minutes of games when the margin is within five points), Vucevic has a 60.7 defensive rating. He'd be a realistic addition and would fill a need for the Spurs, but I have my doubts that Philly would seriously consider adding Anderson to their already crowded backcourt.
Anderson to the Denver Nuggets (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/denver-nuggets) for Kenneth Faried (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/150209/kenneth-faried).
The parallels between Faried's rookie season and Blair's rookie season are a little creepy. Both guys are undersized (six-foot-eight for Faried, six-foot-seven for Blair) power forwards who bring a lot of energy and solid rebounding. If the Spurs managed to land Faried that would be an absolute steal given the circumstances. Faried is currently 10th in minutes per game on the Nuggets, playing only eight percent of the time. While this wouldn't add any length per se, this would still be a good value trade especially because Faried doesn't have the deficiencies Blair did (and still does), namely turnovers, weight and defense.

DaDakota
02-22-2012, 04:46 PM
We will give you guys TWill for him.....

DD

DesignatedT
02-22-2012, 04:48 PM
I don't see any of those teams doing those deals although I would love a deal for Ilyasova or Vucevic.

DesignatedT
02-22-2012, 04:49 PM
We will give you guys TWill for him.....

DD

Deal

DaDakota
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Deal

Rox have no need for any of our 09ers...you could probably take your pick.

Thabeet, Twill, Flynn, but Jordan Hill would cost a lil bit more, not much though.

DD

DPG21920
02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Hill or nothing. You have 5 minutes before I pull the trigger on another deal. *click*

Robz4000
02-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Give us Hill for Anderson and a 2nd rounder

Darkwaters
02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't see any of those teams doing those deals although I would love a deal for Ilyasova or Vucevic.

Agreed. Either of those guys would be amazing. Vucevic especially.

I'm not sure why the author thinks the Sixers would dump Vucevic for peanuts? Sure, he isn't playing big minutes. But hes a rookie, and doing well in the minutes hes getting. Thats like asking the Spurs to salary dump Kawhi Leonard.

maverick1948
02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Anderson and Joseph for Hickson and Sacramento's 2nd round.

outmap
02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Rox have no need for any of our 09ers...you could probably take your pick.

Thabeet, Twill, Flynn, but Jordan Hill would cost a lil bit more, not much though.

DD

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7pyze8j

would your team do this? :hat

outmap
02-22-2012, 09:53 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7dksruv

Russ
02-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Anderson has no trade value . . .

Because he's like a shell on the beach . . .

Come summertime, you can just reach down and pick him up.

tuncaboylu
02-23-2012, 01:32 AM
Hickson-> Anderson + 2 second rounders seems OK to me. Hickson is expiring like Anderson and Kings won't resign with him. They will get an additional 2 secound rounders for free.

Hoops Czar
02-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Hickson-> Anderson + 2 second rounders seems OK to me. Hickson is expiring like Anderson and Kings won't resign with him. They will get an additional 2 secound rounders for free.

Sacramento slams the phone down that offer. Thats not even remotely realistic.

therealtruth
02-23-2012, 03:34 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=84zoyv6

The Wolves get guys who can thrive in their uptempo offense. The Spurs get a backup C that allows Tiago to start. The Spurs get some bigmen in Randolph and Beasley plus expiring contracts.

venitian navigator
02-23-2012, 04:06 AM
Anderson can probably be traded in one to one trades with a team that has no time or options to play or develop some players in the roster.
Considering our needing of a big, Washington could be an ideal candidate for a trade.
They have 7 p'layers that could possibly play pf and some of them are probably tradeble.

Seraphin (my favourite)
Vesely (out of favor in Was, maybe still too valueable to be traded)
Booker (probably just playing for enhancing his market value)
Singleton (other good defensive player that could be a good fit in our system)

Others names are Lewis, Blatche, Turiaf that are tradeble only if we add some players.
Of these three, the only one I would touch is Turiaf...and, however, the contracts of the other two are too difficult to match without giving up something we can't afford to trade.

Darkwaters
02-23-2012, 05:18 AM

False.

Anderson is now an expiring contract. No matter how shitty you are, you always have trade value if you're expiring.

Darkwaters
02-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Anderson can probably be traded in one to one trades with a team that has no time or options to play or develop some players in the roster.
Considering our needing of a big, Washington could be an ideal candidate for a trade.
They have 7 p'layers that could possibly play pf and some of them are probably tradeble.

Seraphin (my favourite)
Vesely (out of favor in Was, maybe still too valueable to be traded)
Booker (probably just playing for enhancing his market value)
Singleton (other good defensive player that could be a good fit in our system)

Others names are Lewis, Blatche, Turiaf that are tradeble only if we add some players.
Of these three, the only one I would touch is Turiaf...and, however, the contracts of the other two are too difficult to match without giving up something we can't afford to trade.

I like some of those names to be sure.

Seraphin would be an intriguing pick-up. As a second year player hes got some limited NBA experience, but is still on a cheap contract for a while. Hes listed as a PF mostly because of his size (6'9) but he really plays like a center. Not a ton of offense, but hes putting up great numbers in limited minutes. Playing 13 MPG hes averaging 1.1 blocks and nearly 4 rebounds. Might not fit the system as well as others, but he'd be a nice pick-up.

Singleton is also an interesting prospect. Hes a combo forward that can shoot the 3. Although, his FG% is horrible on all accounts, that might have to do with just being in Washington. He plays almost 20MPG and has started 18 games this year. Also, hes a rookie - so it's a fair guess that Washington might want a longer look before parting ways. Not sure if hes really available - at least not for scraps.

Booker, at 6'8, is a little small for the PF maybe. Another 2nd year player, hes playing about 20MPG for the Wiz and has started 15 games for them. His shooting numbers are a lot more enticing that Singleton's though, however, he doesn't shoot the 3 ball at all. Really though, his rebounding and scoring numbers are respectable considering his minutes. But I just don't know enough about the player to comment beyond that.

Vesely is a virtual unknown. Hes a Euro rookie that has played 26 largely unflattering NBA games at about 15 minutes per. The stat that pops at me the most is his 36% free throw percentage. I assume thats a result of an incredibly poor showing on an extremely low number of attempts. But still, thats the worst I've ever seen. Basically, his numbers are nothing to write home about. Oddly, hes started 5 games. But I guess that's just the Washington Wizards for you. Hes tall though, at 6'11.

Edit: Checked Vesely's free throws. 7-19 on the season.

wildbill2u
02-23-2012, 12:58 PM

:lmao :toast :lmao

manufan10
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
:lol

I like how everyone is working on finding a trade that takes on Jefferson. I would be very surprised if someone would take him off the Spurs' hands. I doubt it would ever happen.

dylankerouac
02-23-2012, 03:18 PM

I :lmao