PDA

View Full Version : Why Mike D'antoni is a horrible, one dimensional coach

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Relying on threes and a PG who can whore the pick and roll is the only way he knows how to win. This current Knicks roster is not set up to a be a chuck & duck seven seconds or less team yet he's trying to force that system.

Before he gets credit for their improved defense, the Knicks were a horrid defensive team his first 3 years in New York and he didn't seem to care. Tyson Chandler is the biggest (and only) reason why they've suddenly become a top 10 defense. Every player on the Knicks lauds his leadership and intensity way more than they do D'antoni's coaching.

Offensively, the Knicks have two of the best scorers in the NBA and a center who's size and athleticism alone leads to 4-5 high percentage gimmie shots a game. Despite the huge advantage they have up front, they're forcing three pointers worse than any team I've ever seen.

Melo and Douglas are averaging 4 threes each per game with Bill Walker, Iman Shumpert and Laundry Fields not far behind with 3.7, 2.9 and 2.7 three point attempts respectively. Of those 5 players, Bill Walker is the only one with a 3PT% above 30%, and it's not like he's shooting lights out at 32%.

As a team, the Knicks are tied with the Lakers for 27th best (or 3rd worst) three point shooting percentage at 30.1%. The Lakers have the 20th most three point attempts (535 total and 16.7 per game), the Knicks have the 3rd most three point attempts (750 total 22.7 per game). The 2007 Suns shot 23.9 threes per game but also had the highest percentage of any team that tear at 39.9%. There's no way this Knicks roster should be attempting only 1.2 less threes a game than one of the best 3 point shooting teams of all time.

Meanwhile, Melo and Amare are each having one of the worst years of their careers, whiile the Knicks have one of the ten worst offenses in the NBA. Why doesn't D'antoni get more blame?

Spurminator
02-21-2012, 10:59 AM
He gets plenty of blame in NYC. Before Lin, they were on the verge of running him out of town. I think he's gotten a bit of reprieve now but no one is convinced that he has much of anything to do with the Knicks' turnaround.

Mel_13
02-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Why doesn't D'antoni get more blame?

He was getting the blame until desperation forced his hand and Jeremy Lin saved his job. If Baron Davis had been ready to go two weeks earlier, Lin would probably be in the D-League and D'antoni would be sending audition tapes to TNT and ESPN.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Well then maybe it's me overreacting to dumb Phoenix fans I'm friends with on facebook who think that coaching the Knicks at a .500 level is some heroic achievement by D'antoni, but I still say his horrid coaching is getting underplayed and minimized. I can't remember a team that's one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the NBA yet chucks so many 3s.

hater
02-21-2012, 11:22 AM
he's the luckies mofo in the league after Stern. Dude's job was in danger just before Lin broke out.

it was not even D'antoni's decision to start Lin. He was forced to. Lucky motherfucker. should be in Europe

DisAsTerBot
02-21-2012, 11:22 AM
i think you need a d'antoni avatar

Warlord23
02-21-2012, 11:23 AM
DOK's analysis is 100% correct. Basically Pringles got lucky that Novak was red hot from the arc in a few games and Lin was also shooting well from range.

If Melo's minutes eat into Novak's (which they will), the D'Antoni offense will struggle. Teams can pack the paint to counter the Lin/Amare pick and roll, and dare the Knicks' shooters to beat them. D'Antoni may respond by playing Baron Davis alongside Lin, but neither Lin nor Davis can defend well.

It's a pity; the Knicks have some really good pieces, but don't have a coach who can make the most of their abilities. I won't be surprised if they shop Fields to get a legit shooter. If they really want to contend, they either need to find a new coach, or trade Anthony for an elite 2 guard (e.g. Joe Johnson)

baseline bum
02-21-2012, 11:37 AM
It's a pity; the Knicks have some really good pieces, but don't have a coach who can make the most of their abilities.

/thread

I'd even rather have Mike Brown than that moron.

baseline bum
02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Though I am thankful to him for being such a helpful part of two Spurs titles.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
DOK's analysis is 100% correct. Basically Pringles got lucky that Novak was red hot from the arc in a few games and Lin was also shooting well from range.

If Melo's minutes eat into Novak's (which they will), the D'Antoni offense will struggle. Teams can pack the paint to counter the Lin/Amare pick and roll, and dare the Knicks' shooters to beat them. D'Antoni may respond by playing Baron Davis alongside Lin, but neither Lin nor Davis can defend well.

It's a pity; the Knicks have some really good pieces, but don't have a coach who can make the most of their abilities. I won't be surprised if they shop Fields to get a legit shooter. If they really want to contend, they either need to find a new coach, or trade Anthony for an elite 2 guard (e.g. Joe Johnson)
If they want to contend, they need a new coach AND a better shooting guard imo. When the Suns scapegoat Gentry and fire him after the season, he'd be a great hire for the Knicks since he had the qualities D'antoni has (doesn't micromanage and isn't overbearing) but can actually fit his system to whatever best suits the players. He's also the only coach who's ever gotten Amare to go after every rebound and play with effort on defense. If he can do that with Amare he can do that with Melo. I'd say Jason Richardson is a SG they could go after if Dwight bails and Orlando has to rebuild.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-21-2012, 12:13 PM
It's a poorly constructed team. With injury history (and especially the compacted schedule) I would have gone into the season expecting that you'd be able to count the total number of games that Baron, Chandler, and Amare would play together on your fingers. Still it's hard to picture a guy worse suited to getting the best out of those players.

BUMP
02-21-2012, 12:33 PM
imho if the Knicks lose to anybody in the East, other than the Heat, D'Antoni should be fired.

1-12, this is one of the most stacked rosters I've ever seen ( in terms of talent and overall championship pieces). There's no excuse

redzero
02-21-2012, 12:40 PM
The Bulls would wreck the Knicks, and I think everybody would expect that. The Knicks just don't seem like a team. D'Antoni should take some of the blame, but I don't know if these players are compatible chemistry-wise.

DMC
02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Phil Jackson on the verge tbh. With the pieces and the "Linsanity", Phil's time is now. I imagine if the Knicks could land Howard and Lebron, Phil would seriously consider coaching that rag-tag group of D-league rejects into something useful.

LnGrrrR
02-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Well then maybe it's me overreacting to dumb Phoenix fans I'm friends with on facebook who think that coaching the Knicks at a .500 level is some heroic achievement by D'antoni, but I still say his horrid coaching is getting underplayed and minimized. I can't remember a team that's one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the NBA yet chucks so many 3s.

The early 00's Celtics come to mind...

DJ Mbenga
02-22-2012, 02:34 AM
dont worry their schedule will catch up to them and suddenly either he or melo will get blamed for it

pass1st
02-22-2012, 03:17 AM
Didn't notice before, but Melo is shooting under 40%

wanggi
02-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Besides, D'Antoni likes to completely exhaust playmakers for 46 minutes.

That's why the Suns used to fall apart in the playoffs.

Dex
02-22-2012, 03:35 AM
Pringles isn't one dimensional, he comes in assorted flavors...original, sour cream & onion, cheddar cheese, pizza, etc...

callo1
02-22-2012, 06:19 PM
No "D" Antoni is to the Knicks as Mike Leach was to Texas Tech...entertaining to watch, but absolutely no chance to win a ring with his gimmick of an offense. Having Carmelo on that team destroys any chance of meaningful winning. Trade that black hole and get something for him, and chances of winning would improve.

ALVAREZ6
02-22-2012, 06:35 PM
lol, seems like most of his success in the past can be attributed to solid PG (but high TOs) play. Steve Nash made that Suns team of the 2000s run, he created everything while scoring many points often at an efficient rate. Other than this stretch of "Linsanity", his Knicks experiment has been pretty laughable. He definitely sucks and will never win a championship, no way.

There's no chance D'Antoni will win a ring with any team, I'd even doubt him with some of the stronger Lakers teams of the past decade. He can only succeed with high paced, efficient 3PT shooting offenses...which is doomed to fail in the playoffs. He'll never be more than a regular season coach.

Goran Dragic
02-22-2012, 06:41 PM
No "D" Antoni is to the Knicks as Mike Leach was to Texas Tech...entertaining to watch, but absolutely no chance to win a ring with his gimmick of an offense.
What a horribly retarded comparison.

Latarian Milton
02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
NY just not made to be a contender despite what players they have, hope da harvard graduate Lin can help correct the whole shit tbh

jacobdrj
02-22-2012, 07:35 PM
The early 00's Celtics come to mind...

I loved those Jim O'Brien Celtics... That playoff series against the Pistons... EPIC DEFENSE!!!

It is when I first realized just how good Paul Pierce was...

And Antone Walker... A guilty pleasure of mine watching his game...

Goran Dragic
02-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Pringles isn't one dimensional, he comes in assorted flavors...original, sour cream & onion, cheddar cheese, pizza, etc...
Wow man, that was funny!