View Full Version : Tim and Tony not playing

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Pop giving them some rest, per hollinger and Mike Monroe on twitter

MaNu4Tres
02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
I love games like this.

Time for the young bucks to step up!

I'd expect Dawson to get quality playing time.

Cane
02-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Imo its a well deserved break, and Portland was going to come out like gangbusters anyway after getting embarrassed in LA.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Spurs will be lucky to drop 60, hopefully Neal, Bonner and Green all have career games

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Neal/Anderson/Green/Bonner/Dawson ecstasy.

Edit: Not Splitter.

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Splitter is not playing.

SpursRulez4eVeR
02-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Neal/Anderson/Green/Bonner/Splitter ecstasy.

you must not have followed the spurs for the past week.

DesignatedT
02-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Bonner Blair starting? lmao

SpursRulez4eVeR
02-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Bonner Blair starting? lmao

:bang

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
I understand doing this but it still sucks to see your team's streak end because of something like this. It would be great to see them keep winning, but who knows the bench keeps surprising.

It also sucks because the Spurs aren't really that far ahead of the Mavs.

timtonymanu
Spurs will be lucky to drop 60, hopefully Neal, Bonner and Green all have career games

I think they'll score enough. CROFL if the Spurs win this.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Splitter is not playing.

Right. Dawson, welcome board.

DesignatedT
02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
blame it on the lockout.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Tony is still young. He doesn't really need days off. If you want to limit his minutes, then do so.

MaNu4Tres
02-21-2012, 09:05 PM
I understand doing this but it still sucks to see your team's streak end because of something like this. It would be great to see them keep winning, but who knows the bench keeps surprising.

Who said the streak is ending?

MnmoPhMkPUw

timvp
02-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Ah well. Good run :tu

If the game is even somewhat close by the fourth quarter, that'd be great.

IMO, solid move by Pop and it follows what he's done in the past. A couple years ago he had that White Flag game in Denver right before the All-Star break, IIRC.

Mugen
02-21-2012, 09:06 PM

Blazers were gonna come out strong anyways after being embarrassed by the Lakers last night.

Hopefully they let their guard down without TP/TD. Spurs lost a similar game to the Blazers couple years back when all their guys were out and Jerryd Bayless went nuts.

Slim chance for a win but it's been a flukey season, ya never know.

SA210
02-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Tony is still young. He doesn't really need days off. If you want to limit his minutes, then do so.

Mugen
02-21-2012, 09:08 PM

IMO, solid move by Pop and it follows what he's done in the past. A couple years ago he had that White Flag game in Denver right before the All-Star break, IIRC.

Yup and the reserves made a game out of in DEN til the 4th i believe.

Same with the Laker game last year right before Ginobili broke his arm in PHX.

timtonymanu
02-21-2012, 09:09 PM
And the game is on NBATV tonight. Go figure.

Two10Whitey
02-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Damn there goes my 9-0 prediction.

FkLA
02-21-2012, 09:10 PM
So much for Tony being dependable tbh. Still in his 20s and needing days off. :lol

007nites
02-21-2012, 09:10 PM
So,

Parker
Duncan
Ginobili
Splitter
Ford

All not playing? Does RJ get no love?

Spursfanfromafar
02-21-2012, 09:11 PM
No one in the NBA but the Spurs will do something like this.. and no one among the large NBA fan community but "True Spur" fans will endorse this :)

We stacked :)

Reck
02-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Spurs about to get blown by by 50.

timtonymanu
02-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Even in a game like this, I expect RJ to coast and be the 5th leading scorer.

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 09:15 PM
I get the reasoning and agree with it, was just speaking from purely a fan perspective. The thing that worries me the most as I've said before though is that the Spurs really put 0 distance between themselves and the Mavs despite the 11 game streak and giving games away (in theory) doesn't bode well to me.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Portland will have to be beyond dreadful to lose to the D-league Spurs

SA210
02-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Tim maybe, but Tony? This is stupid. What is Pop playing scared against Portland, he thinks we arent going to win so he just sits them so that it looks ok to lose? He seems soft. We are already out Ford, Splitter and Manu. Let's just make it 5 key players for the hell of it. They are NBA players, millionaires. Play the damn the game. Limit the minutes if anything.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 09:18 PM

They sure did and Timmy was never the same the rest of the season. You'd think one would get wiser as one gets older.

pgardn
02-21-2012, 09:20 PM
So much for Tony being dependable tbh. Still in his 20s and needing days off. :lol

uhhhh...

What does this have to do with Tony.

This is all Pop.

Cane
02-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Tony may be the youngest of the Big 3 but he regularly sacrifices his body and Portland's going to make him pay for driving in the paint after getting embarrased by LA. This rest will be good for him, Spurs already got the win they wanted for this back to back last night

Russ
02-21-2012, 09:22 PM
The win steak was nice, but this is a way to end it gracefully.

(And this was probably going to be a loss anyway.)

Keepin' it real
02-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Thank goodness. I didn't want to stay up till midnight.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Tony may be the youngest of the Big 3 but he regularly sacrifices his body and Portland's going to make him pay for driving in the paint after getting embarrased by LA. This rest will be good for him, Spurs already got the win they wanted for this back to back last night

So why doesn't miami rest Lebron and Wade or Oklahoma sit Durant or Westbroock or the Lakers sit kobe? Do they not take beatings on a nightly basis? This is just pissing another game away. The Spurs did enough of that early in the season.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-21-2012, 09:28 PM

Yeah I think that game was right after a late over-time game against Golden State the night before, which the Spurs won. I think Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker all sat out that Denver game.

SA210
02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Dumbass move by Popovich...

jestersmash
02-21-2012, 09:35 PM
I get the reasoning and agree with it, was just speaking from purely a fan perspective. The thing that worries me the most as I've said before though is that the Spurs really put 0 distance between themselves and the Mavs despite the 11 game streak and giving games away (in theory) doesn't bode well to me.

The Mavs play the Lakers tomorrow, Memphis on Feb 29 (though Memphis is not as much of a concern to beat us out in the division as Dallas is, a loss to memphis here is still somewhat helpful), and OKC on March 5th, not to mention they can always drop a game or two to lesser competition (as can we).

As long as we can hold off Dallas with a 1.5-2 game lead up until Splitter comes back, I think we'll be fine.

WeNeedLength
02-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Dumbass move by Popovich... we cannot afford to take losses with the parity in the West and Tony is too young for this.

Also, just squashing our brilliant winning streak like this is a huge slap in the face to every Spurs fan that walks the planet. I hope they give him a decent, Lebron-back-in-Cleveland sized round of boos when the Spurs return home after the all-star break. If not, I'll make him hear it all the way from my house on the west side!!

Portland'll jump out early but the Spurs will probably fight the whole way and lose by 3 after playing their severely outgunned hearts out. I just see this as a major slap in the face to the Spurs community that has supported the team through this winning streak.

:rolleyes

It's not a dumbass move. Maybe to everyone going to the actual game tonight but Pop has said he doesn't give a shit about them :lol

Well, not sure if he has ever said it, but he sure has implied it.

TJastal
02-21-2012, 09:37 PM
This is just dumb IMO, especially heading into the all star week where plenty of rest is to be had by all.

Nothing new however, we've seen Pop do this before in the past (with tragic results). Pop just refuses to learn from his mistakes in the past. A really bad loss tonight will probably blow all the team's chemistry and momentum heading into the latter half of the season.

DMC
02-21-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't care who starts. It's mostly about going out there, getting some exercise and having fun.

chazley
02-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Love these games. Pop is always fired up to coach the guys, and it's fun to watch.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't care who starts. It's mostly about going out there, getting some exercise and having fun.

Were not talking about the Charlotte Bobcats.

SA210
02-21-2012, 09:43 PM
This is just dumb IMO, especially heading into the all star week where plenty of rest is to be had by all.

Nothing new however, we've seen Pop do this before in the past (with tragic results). Pop just refuses to learn from his mistakes in the past. A really bad loss tonight will probably blow all the team's chemistry and momentum heading into the latter half of the season.

pjjrfan
02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
It's cheating the fans. The ones who pay eveyone's salaries, by going to the games, spending their hard earned cash on the games, and NBA gear.

WeNeedLength
02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
As Spurs fans, we can't honestly be surprised by this? Can you?

I'm not.

Cane
02-21-2012, 09:49 PM
So why doesn't miami rest Lebron and Wade or Oklahoma sit Durant or Westbroock or the Lakers sit kobe? Do they not take beatings on a nightly basis? This is just pissing another game away. The Spurs did enough of that early in the season.

IIRC I thought LeBron/Wade have gotten some rest.

But looking at those names, each player has an all-star sidekick that opponents have to key in on and Tony Parker doesn't with Ginobili injured. Parker can take the punishment but imo its a good move to rest

Not only could the Spurs use some rest, they could also use a day to experiment and see what they have in players like Eric Dawson, Cory Joseph, James Anderson.

timtonymanu
02-21-2012, 09:50 PM
It's a good time to showcase Anderson since he wants a trade.

SA210
02-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Of course anything can happen and our scrubs could win. But, that's not the point, it's very stupid to sit Tony out, even Tim, play him very low minutes. These are NBA players. The all star break is right around the corner. Stupid!

TJastal
02-21-2012, 09:53 PM

And Pop could play the coyote and really entertain the fans!

baseline bum
02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Good call; no reason to run Tim and Tony into the ground for a meaningless game before the break.

Sean Cagney
02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
I wont watch this one at all. No need to waste time lol.
Good call; no reason to run Tim and Tony into the ground for a meaningless game before the break.

THIS GAME MEANS A WHOLE LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! #12 coming for us :wow:lol

TJastal
02-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Of course anything can happen and our scrubs could win. But, that's not the point, it's very stupid to sit Tony out, even Tim, play him very low minutes. These are NBA players. The all star break is right around the corner. Stupid!

+1000000000000

This is such the typical dumbass Pop move all around when he finally has the team doing well. Always playing it too safe.

Team is going to get its ass beaten (but good), lose all its momentum, and subsequently all the chemistry that it has built up to perfection the past month.

WeNeedLength
02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
+1000000000000

This is such the typical dumbass Pop move all around when he finally has the team doing well. Always playing it too safe.

Team is going to get its ass beaten (but good), lose all its momentum, and subsequently all the chemistry that it has built up to perfection the past month.

Link?

Not sure how you can make such an assumption...

Sean Cagney
02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
+1000000000000

Are you serious? I agree though play them a few mins atleast, atleast 20! Break comin up for Tim anyways. I am not going to waste time on this game.

TJastal
02-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Were not talking about the Charlotte Bobcats.

:lmao

TJastal
02-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Are you serious? I agree though play them a few mins atleast, atleast 20! Break comin up for Tim anyways. I am not going to waste time on this game.

Absolutely I'm serious!

This is exactly the kind of game that could damage the teams' focus and screw up its chemistry.

Proxy
02-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Chemistry? hahaha... you mean the chemistry SA has built with a rotation without Manu and TJ?

lol@"chemistry"

Giuseppe
02-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Shame, shame, everybody knows your name.

Sean Cagney
02-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Absolutely I'm serious!

This is exactly the kind of game that could damage the teams' focus and screw up its chemistry.

When, Manu, Tony and Tim (Splitter too) are out? I seriously doubt they get destroyed mentally from this game here. They will come out and lose yes, but they will not let it ruin their team.

TJastal
02-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Link?

Not sure how you can make such an assumption...

I've seen it happen many times before in years past. Pop loves to tinker with winning streaks, chemistry and momentum. Guys are just jelling into their roles on the team, now Pop blows it up and throws everybody out of whack.

As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

ElNono
02-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Called it last night...

/self-pat-in-the-back

WeNeedLength
02-21-2012, 10:10 PM
I've seen it happen many times before in years past. Pop loves to tinker with winning streaks, chemistry and momentum. Guys are just jelling into their roles on the team, now Pop blows it up and throws everybody out of whack.

As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

When, Manu, Tony and Tim (Splitter too) are out? I seriously doubt they get destroyed mentally from this game here. They will come out and lose yes, but they will not let it ruin their team.

Thanks Sean Cagney. Just what I was going to say. :tu

TJastal
02-21-2012, 10:12 PM

I wouldn't say "mentally destroyed", more like "mentally discombobulated".

GSH
02-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Tony is active. If there's a chance to steal one, I think Pop might relent and put him in. I'm just saying.

tlongII
02-21-2012, 10:13 PM
If I was going to the game tonight I would be pissed. I want to see the stars if they're physically able to play. F U Pop! :flipoff

TJastal
02-21-2012, 10:15 PM
So I guess Gary Neal is going to manning the point guard tonight (along with Cory Joseph).

That alone sends shivers down my spine.

baseline bum
02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
If I was going to the game tonight I would be pissed. I want to see the stars if they're physically able to play. F U Pop! :flipoff

If you were going to the game I would have asked you to get a pic of Oden in the wheelchair.

02-21-2012, 10:27 PM
good to see pop not taking any chances against the blazers. aldridge could sneeze on duncan and we might see duncan sprain an ankle.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Bush-league move by pop

Libri
02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Brilliant move by Pop. There is too much misfortune at work in this game. You have the Blazer curse of bigs getting injured in combination with the Ferry curse. That's a deadly combination.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Brilliant move by Pop. There is too much misfortune at work in this game. You have the Blazer curse of bigs getting injured in combination with the Ferry curse. That's a deadly combination.

Curses are meant to be broken.

DPG21920
02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
I wonder if this will ignite POR though? Not too worried about what it will do to the Spurs.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
This stunt by pop, if proving nothing else, shows just how bad Rj is at basketball.

SpurPadre
02-21-2012, 11:40 PM
I made a mistake by making another thread about this annual bullshit move by Pop that hasn't proven effective. Sorry about that but I just couldn't help but to vent about this. There was no need to throw a game at this point in the season.

therealtruth
02-21-2012, 11:43 PM
And the game is on NBATV tonight. Go figure.

So the NBATV fans were probably looking forward to seeing the hottest team in the league right now go against the Blazers and they're left watching a couple of bench scrubs and D-leaguers?

timtonymanu
02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Even in a game like this, I expect RJ to coast and be the 5th leading scorer.

6th leading scorer so far. I wasn't far off. But any other player can still score more than 4 points.

TJastal
02-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Love these games. Pop is always fired up to coach the guys, and it's fun to watch.

:lmao :lmao :lmao