PDA

View Full Version : Way to kill the team's streak, Pop

SpurPadre
02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
I know he thinks it's cute to do his now annual game where he throws a game but it's never proved to have a real purpose in the long run. The team hasn't won a title ever since Pop started pulling this nonsense three years ago and I doubt TD can say "Thanks to Pop benching me that one game, we'll have a shot to win it all!" Oh yeah, another thing, the team hasn't won a game when Pop benches all or some of the Big 3 and in this condensed season, where playoff seeding is more important, it's plain reckless to do this now. We're still within distance to get the #1 seed yet there are plenty of teams who aren't far off from moving past us in the standings. This crap has to stop and I hope the league prohibits teams from taking a dive like this by next season.

lefty
02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
B2B, injuries, etc....

Relax

SpurPadre
02-21-2012, 10:59 PM
B2B, injuries, etc....

Relax

You play to win the game!

Brazil
02-21-2012, 11:01 PM
dude there are already threads to vent into ... you reserved your first post for a shitty thread ?

Wild Cobra Kai
02-21-2012, 11:01 PM
you play to win the game!

1/66

TJastal
02-21-2012, 11:02 PM
:pop: The team was getting too confident and full of themselves. Time to tinker. These guys shouldn't forget whose in charge. I got 4 titles, you know. I like it when people talk about me.

DesignatedT
02-21-2012, 11:02 PM
lol some of you are so retarded.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Fcking Corey Joseph showing his inner Dirk by chucking up three's. I guess its a free for all tonight.

SpurPadre
02-21-2012, 11:09 PM
dude there are already threads to vent into ... you reserved your first post for a shitty thread ?

How is it shitty? Where in my post can you prove that anything I've pointed out is wrong? Has the team won the title in a year where Pop has done this? Has the team won a game when Pop has pulled all or some of the Big 3? Are teams NOT close to passing us by in the standings? Is playoff seeding NOT important in a 66 game season?

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Fcking Corey Joseph showing his inner Dirk by chucking up three's. I guess its a free for all tonight.

no starters, these scrubs play like dleague wankers, every man for himself, no structure on the court....

ChumpDumper
02-21-2012, 11:11 PM
How is it shitty? Where in my post can you prove that anything I've pointed out is wrong? Has the team won the title in a year where Pop has done this? Has the team won a game when Pop has pulled all or some of the Big 3? Are teams NOT close to passing us by in the standings? Is playoff seeding NOT important in a 66 game season?It's shitty because it's been said and being said in multiple threads tbh.

Cue the pile on.

007nites
02-21-2012, 11:11 PM
How is it shitty? Where in my post can you prove that anything I've pointed out is wrong? Has the team won the title in a year where Pop has done this? Has the team won a game when Pop has pulled all or some of the Big 3? Are teams NOT close to passing us by in the standings? Is playoff seeding NOT important in a 66 game season?

I support you on this.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure how old pop is, but he should have taken a seat on the bench. The mental wear and tear could take a toll on him come playoff time.

baseline bum
02-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Who gives a shit about early season streaks? Seriously?

timtonymanu
02-21-2012, 11:13 PM
dude there are already threads to vent into ... You reserved your first post for a shitty thread ?

this

SpurPadre
02-21-2012, 11:14 PM
I support you on this.

Thank you. I can't believe I was getting piled on simply because I question Pop throwing games like this when there's no proof it has EVER worked.

Caeman
02-21-2012, 11:15 PM
This is one of my least favorite habits of Pop. It shows that he's either a pussy or a f@gget.

He's either to pussy to have his team play a tough opponent on the road and actually see them lose. Or he's a faggot that psychologically likes watching his team get bent over.

Either one, it sucks and can be embarrassing (even if it's just one night of the season).

P.S. If anyone thinks that a one game rest in the last week of February of a compressed schedule is going to make the difference in winning the title or not, you're retarded.

I would not be surprised if we see an injury the next game (just like last year). Then all this shit about Pop being a genius goes out the window.

bresilhac
02-21-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm sorely disappointed in Pop pulling this shit tonight. How does this strategy help us in the standings or in a drive for the top seed? If you have a chance to win 8 straight on the road why not go for it? The sad thing is this crap strategy may backfire on Pop and the Spurs may lose in Denver too. I don't get it man.

TJastal
02-21-2012, 11:16 PM
no starters, these scrubs play like dleague wankers, every man for himself, no structure on the court....

lmao @ Smitty saying its all part of "Pop's master plan"... does everybody in the media kiss Pop's ass?

Caeman
02-21-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm sorely disappointed in Pop pulling this shit tonight. How does this strategy help us in the standings or in a drive for the top seed? If you have a chance to win 8 straight on the road why not go for it? The sad thing is this crap strategy may backfire on Pop and the Spurs may lose in Denver too. I don't get it man.

I'm feeling the same thing. Check out my post above.

Hoops Czar
02-21-2012, 11:20 PM

It backfired in Denver a couple years back. Duncan was playing great til pop decided to rest the big three, and Duncan struggled the rest of the season. He just doesn't get it.

TJastal
It's shitty because it's been said and being said in multiple threads tbh.

Cue the pile on.

Says the guy with 65k posts, each one a unique masterpiece

rr2418
Actually, I think it's good to see the bench play extended minutes! If one game is important to the health of Duncan and Parker then great move Pop!

Robz4000
I agree on most of it, but playoff seeding is NOT important in a lock-out season. All the Spurs need to do is get in, the West is THAT wide open. No team they should fear.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Says the guy with 65k posts, each one a unique masterpiece:lmao My prediction comes true!

Dumbass.

VBM
02-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Actually, I think it's good to see the bench play extended minutes! If one game is important to the health of Duncan and Parker then great move Pop!

Duncan's getting the whole weekend off, and Parker won't play much in the allstar game. They could have gotten their rest without tanking a game.

Caeman
02-21-2012, 11:26 PM

How the hell do we know if it makes a differences unless the Spurs win the title this year?

That is the point tonight. Sitting the starters out in this fashion does nothing good for the team. The scrubs go out and get beat down by 30+. That is not a learning experience. Learning experience comes in when you play in a competitive environment. Getting beat down by 30 is not condusive to learning. You honestly think that the Spurs or the Blazers are going to review/watch this game again? This is a trash, throw away game.

Trash, throw away games have not been shown to make or break a championship seaon.

Kindergarten Cop
02-21-2012, 11:27 PM
For those of you against this move, imagine how different last season could have ended had Pop chosen to do this in game 82 of last season. While I understand that the two aren't exactly the same - it puts some perspective on how much more important games in the Playoffs are compared to a single game in the regular season. Just my two cents.

SequSpur
02-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Fuck Chumpdumper.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Fuck Chumpdumper.:rollin

TampaDude
For those of you against this move, imagine how different last season could have ended had Pop chosen to do this in game 82 of last season. While I understand that the two aren't exactly the same - it puts some perspective on how much more important games in the Playoffs are compared to a single game in the regular season. Just my two cents.

^ this

VBM

If you rest players the last game of the season, they're guaranteed to be healthy for the playoff opener. No such guarantee here...

SA210
02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
This is one of my least favorite habits of Pop. It shows that he's either a pussy or a f@gget.

He's either to pussy to have his team play a tough opponent on the road and actually see them lose. Or he's a faggot that psychologically likes watching his team get bent over.

Either one, it sucks and can be embarrassing (even if it's just one night of the season).

P.S. If anyone thinks that a one game rest in the last week of February of a compressed schedule is going to make the difference in winning the title or not, you're retarded.

I would not be surprised if we see an injury the next game (just like last year). Then all this shit about Pop being a genius goes out the window.

Duncan's getting the whole weekend off, and Parker won't play much in the allstar game. They could have gotten their rest without tanking a game.

This

Caeman

What are you talking about? Pop did do this last season and more than once if I remember correctly. Pop sat the starters against the Lakers, the second last game. The team lost and Pop started everyone the next (last) game of the season. In that game Manu injuried himself, and the rest accrued from the game before went out the fucking window, and with it the season.

bresilhac
I'm feeling the same thing. Check out my post above.

I surely don't believe Pop's a f@gget. An alcoholic maybe but not a f@g. My point is I cannot conceive how tonight's strategy makes the Spurs a better team. They've got a game Thursday night in Denver and if they would have tried to win tonight's game with Tim and Tony playing and then playing again on Thursday they still will have had six days off before the Chicago game. Which they do. I just cannot understand any coach's MO who purposefully throws a game in the middle of a hotly contested playoff race.

SequSpur
02-21-2012, 11:33 PM
:rollin

:toast

Caeman
02-21-2012, 11:35 PM
This

There is nothing to show this decision will be the decisive factor in bringing home the title this year.

If anything, this decision could trigger a string of losses. No one really knows. It's better not to fuck with the streak and keep rolling the dices.

If Pop did not care about the streak and really cared about rest, then he would have rested his players sometime before. However, this decision comes when the team faces a difficult opponent on the road. Pop is a pussy. He doesn't like seeing his team lose. Or, he's a faggot and likes to see his team get raped.

Either one, it sucks.

Kindergarten Cop
02-21-2012, 11:37 PM
What are you talking about? Pop did do this last season and more than once if I remember correctly. Pop sat the starters against the Lakers, the second last game. The team lost and Pop started everyone the next (last) game of the season. In that game Manu injuried himself, and the rest accrued from the game before went out the fucking window, and with it the season.

I didn't say that Pop didn't do it last season. I'm fully aware that he did it - which he has done numerous times over the past few years. Go back and read what I said. I stated that had he done it "in game 82" things would have turned out so much different (at least IMO). As you stated, he did not do it in game 82.

Again, my point being that one single game in the regular season can completely change the outcome of a team's fortune in the Playoffs. Had Pop rested the Big 3 in game 82 last season, Manu would not have gotten hurt - do you disagree?

Caeman
02-21-2012, 11:38 PM
I surely don't believe Pop's a f@gget. An alcoholic maybe but not a f@g. My point is I cannot conceive how tonight's strategy makes the Spurs a better team. They've got a game Thursday night in Denver and if they would have tried to win tonight's game with Tim and Tony playing and then playing again on Thursday they still will have had six days off before the Chicago game. Which they do. I just cannot understand any coach's MO who purposefully throws a game in the middle of a hotly contested playoff race.

You are right. But, I believe this does go a bit futher. This habit (used more than once) has me convinced that Pop really is scared of watching his team lose to a good opponent on the road. When the playoffs come around, he has no choice. You go all out. But in the season, he hates watching his team lose to certain opponents and I believe that to be pussy-like in nature.

spurtech09
02-21-2012, 11:39 PM
spurs were bound to lose a game...spurs can't win every game and ducan/parker need rest...plus winning streaks don't mean anything....duncan/parker probably play in denver and the spurs will bounce back

VBM
02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Again, my point being that one single game in the regular season can completely change the outcome of a team's fortune in the Playoffs. Had Pop rested the Big 3 in game 82 last season, Manu would not have gotten hurt - do you disagree?

If Pop hadn't rested players early in the year, the Spurs might have clinched the top seed and not been forced to play anyone in Game 82. Better to play them all early in the season (where an injury can heal prior to the postseason) than be forced to play the last week of the season because you're trying to make up ground.

spurtech09
02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
You are right. But, I believe this does go a bit futher. This habit (used more than once) has me convinced that Pop really is scared of watching his team lose to a good opponent on the road. When the playoffs come around, he has no choice. You go all out. But in the season, he hates watching his team lose to certain opponents and I believe that to be pussy-like in nature.
this:downspin:

Caeman
02-21-2012, 11:43 PM
I didn't say that Pop didn't do it last season. I'm fully aware that he did it - which he has done numerous times over the past few years. Go back and read what I said. I stated that had he done it "in game 82" things would have turned out so much different (at least IMO). As you stated, he did not do it in game 82.

I still do not see how resting tonight will eventually lead to a title; resting on the last game of last year's season would not have be decisive in nature because the Grizzles were prepared to defeat the Spurs). The purpose of playing the season and playoffs is to win a title. How does sitting out your best players (one who is 29, mind you) and watching your team get skull-fucked, help the team? It does not.

I understand the rest is good for continuing the season. But, why does Pop always do this against good opponents? He does this because he lacks confidence and is a pussy.

Kindergarten Cop
02-21-2012, 11:44 PM
This habit (used more than once) has me convinced that Pop really is scared of watching his team lose to a good opponent on the road.

:wtf

Have you noticed who we have played so far on the road? Over the last 8 road games we've played the Clippers, Grizzlies (twice), and 76ers - which were all better than the Blazers. Yet THIS is the game Pop was really scared of losing to?

spurtech09
02-21-2012, 11:45 PM
I still do not see how resting tonight will eventually lead to a title; resting on the last game of last year's season would not have be decisive in nature because the Grizzles were prepared to defeat the Spurs). The purpose of playing the season and playoffs is to win a title. How does sitting out your best players (one who is 29, mind you) and watching your team get skull-fucked, help the team? It does not.

I understand the rest is good for continuing the season. But, why does Pop always do this against good opponents? He does this because he lacks confidence and is a pussy.
hello b2b duh....

bresilhac
02-21-2012, 11:45 PM

I guess we'll never know because Pop didn't put the team's best foot forward by playing a proper lineup tonight. But, as has been asked on here previously, how will this untimely move affect the team for the rest of the season? Hopefully it will be nothing more than some strangely derived anomaly that will be quickly forgetten as the team rolls on. If it backfires however, and let's hope it doesn't, Pop will have no one to blame but himself.

VBM
02-21-2012, 11:46 PM
But, why does Pop always do this against western conference opponents? He does this because he lacks knowledge of tiebreakers

fify

spurtech09
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM

Have you noticed who we have played so far on the road? Over the last 8 road games we've played the Clippers, Grizzlies (twice), and 76ers - which were all better than the Blazers. Yet THIS is the game Pop was really scared of losing to?
exactly....its all about rest and injuries

SequSpur
02-21-2012, 11:48 PM
How the hell do we know if it makes a differences unless the Spurs win the title this year?

That is the point tonight. Sitting the starters out in this fashion does nothing good for the team. The scrubs go out and get beat down by 30+. That is not a learning experience. Learning experience comes in when you play in a competitive environment. Getting beat down by 30 is not condusive to learning. You honestly think that the Spurs or the Blazers are going to review/watch this game again? This is a trash, throw away game.

Trash, throw away games have not been shown to make or break a championship seaon.

dude, you wrote an essay...

Caeman
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM

Historically we do well against those teams, save the 76ers. Everyone was pleased and surprised that the Spurs took the game in Philly this year.

The Blazers play the Spurs well, especially at home. The Rose Garden is a formidable arena and I honestly believe Pop is scared to watch his team get beat down in a playoff-like environment like Portland. I've been there (Portland), I believe Pop is scared of that shit. Timmy, Parker, Manu are not scared. But, Pop is, and Pop leads.

SA210
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
He's a scared asshole

Kindergarten Cop
02-21-2012, 11:50 PM

Perhaps he is weighing the odds of beating an average team with our starters against the odds of our bench against a quality team. It makes sense, at least to me when you look at it that way. If you were to lose to a quality team with the starters in and follow that up by resting them and losing to an average team with your bench, then your team takes a double-hit. I'm not saying that this is what he does, because very few understand the inner workings of Pop's brain. Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.

bresilhac
02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Perhaps he is weighing the odds of beating an average team with our starters against the odds of our bench against a quality team. It makes sense, at least to me when you look at it that way. If you were to lose to a quality team with the starters in and follow that up by resting them and losing to an average team with your bench, then your team takes a double-hit. I'm not saying that this is what he does, because very few understand the inner workings of Pop's brain. Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good.

And ultimately that is the bottom line. Yes. You must take the good with the bad with Pop. And since I have not won four NBA Titles as a coach I must defer to Pop on night's like tonight. As much as I may disagree with the decision making.

Caeman

So then you play this season with the following mindset; go all out against shit opponents (you'll never see in the playoffs) and cower like a bunch of pussies against quality teams (who you do see in the playoffs). Yeah, I'm sure that's condusive to winning more titles.

Keepin' it real

What it puts in perspective for me (again) is how STUPID a decision it was to play the big 3 in the season finale after trying to minimize their minutes in the first 81 games.

Without a doubt, the worst decision Pop's ever made.

spurtech09
02-21-2012, 11:57 PM
don't know why people are so upset about pop sitting out duncan and parker....we all spurs fans should be happy that spurs have been winning on the road/they could be losing but spurs have been playing very well....spurs fans are just spoiled and want the spurs to win every game..lets be realistic guys spurs can't win every game and duncan/parker do need some rest/b2b games

Caeman
02-21-2012, 11:59 PM
What it puts in perspective for me (again) is how STUPID a decision it was to play the big 3 in the season finale after trying to minimize their minutes in the first 81 games.

Without a doubt, the worst decision Pop's ever made.

The rationale behind last year's decision, to not play the 81st game but play the final game, is simple.

Pop did not want to watch his team get skull fucked by the Lakers before going into the playoffs. Why? Because he's a pussy. He was thinking he'd avoid being exposed by L.A. and build team confidence by defeating the Suns in the final game. Instead, Manu goes down and with him the season.

Pop's habit of trying to save his team from psychological beat downs from quality, playoff opponents is getting annoying. Moreover, it has not been shown to be condusive to winning titles.

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Anyone complaining about this is fucking retarded after seeing the way the team completely ran out of gas last season by going balls out. They wouldn't have beaten any team other than New Orleans in the west playoffs last year. So was it worth it to battle for that 1 seed?

SA210
02-22-2012, 12:02 AM
The rationale behind last year's decision, to not play the 81st game but play the final game, is simple.

Pop did not want to watch his team get skull fucked by the Lakers before going into the playoffs. Why? Because he's a pussy. He was thinking he'd avoid being exposed by L.A. and build team confidence by defeating the Suns in the final game. Instead, Manu goes down and with him the season.

Pop's habit of trying to save his team from psychological beat downs from quality, playoff opponents is getting annoying. Moreover, it has not been shown to be condusive to winning titles.

Another winning take :toast

SA210
02-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Anyone complaining about this is fucking retarded after seeing the way the team completely ran out of gas last season by going balls out. They wouldn't have beaten any team other than New Orleans in the west playoffs last year. So was it worth it to battle for that 1 seed?

Rest is right around the corner, the all star break, so no it's actually retarded the other way around.

DPG21920
02-22-2012, 12:05 AM

Out of all the big 3's in the playoffs last year, the Spurs big 3 had the lowest mpg avg iirc.

They've tried the strategy of resting guys and it's led to 0 playoff wins in the 2nd round since 2008.

Notorious H.O.P.
02-22-2012, 12:06 AM
These are young guys that have been playing fairly well recently. Probably on the upper end if their abilities. The problem with subjecting them to this type of beating is that you destroy their confidence. If I was in there right now, I might be questioning my ability to play at this level. The repercussions of this game could possibly be felt throughout the season for some of these guys.

spurtech09
02-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Rest is right around the corner, the all star break, so no it's actually retarded the other way around.
but alot more rest can do wonders for the spurs since they have been playing on the road and playing b2b games... the all star break equals to even more rest....sounds good to me....relax its not the end of the world:downspin:

TJastal
And ultimately that is the bottom line. Yes. You must take the good with the bad with Pop. And since I have not won four NBA Titles as a coach I must defer to Pop on night's like tonight. As much as I may disagree with the decision making.

lol @ popsucker mentality

Darkwaters
It's shitty because it's been said and being said in multiple threads tbh.

Cue the pile on.

http://www.bhpsnj.org/cms/lib5/NJ01001806/Centricity/ModuleInstance/946/baseball%20dog%20pile.jpg

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:08 AM

Sending out your team to get beat down by 40+ is not going to help the team. It may not hurt the team. But it cannot possibly help the team. This is not tape you save to review.

Moreover, no amount of rest was going to save the Spurs from the Grizzles last year. I love the Spurs and sometimes think with a healthy Manu we could have won. However, I believe the Grizzles were on a mission to beat us and they showed it. I think Lionel Hollins sensed a weakness in Pop (not just the team advantage). I really believe Lionel thought he could take it to Pop and he did. Pop is a pussy. If you go Phil Jackson on Pop, you win.

spurtech09
02-22-2012, 12:09 AM
These are young guys that have been playing fairly well recently. Probably on the upper end if their abilities. The problem with subjecting them to this type of beating is that you destroy their confidence. If I was in there right now, I might be questioning my ability to play at this level. The repercussions of this game could possibly be felt throughout the season for some of these guys.
I don't think it will shatter the younger guys confidence....these guys are young and hungry....keep playing

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:10 AM

How stupid are you? Duncan has played 40 minutes a night the last two games and this is a back to back.

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:10 AM

Exactly. However, nevermind the people who have Pop's dick in thier mouths. Pop could never do any wrong according to them :rolleyes

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Sending out your team to get beat down by 40+ is not going to help the team. It may not hurt the team. But it cannot possibly help the team. This is not tape you save to review.

Moreover, no amount of rest was going to save the Spurs from the Grizzles last year. I love the Spurs and sometimes think with a healthy Manu we could have won. However, I believe the Grizzles were on a mission to beat us and they showed it. I think Lionel Hollins sensed a weakness in Pop (not just the team advantage). I really believe Lionel thought he could take it to Pop and he did. Pop is a pussy. If you go Phil Jackson on Pop, you win.

The Spurs were done by April last season. LOL @ them beating Memphis with Manu when they were two lucky shots from blowing the series in 5.

Caeman
How stupid are you? Duncan has played 40 minutes a night the last two games and this is a back to back.

So you play him 20 and see if he can contribute a quick 12/9 or something. Don't run the risk of fucking with your team's confidence. Losing is one thing. Getting raped by 40+ can fuck with your game.

spurtech09
Exactly. However, nevermind the people who have Pop's dick in thier mouths. Pop could never do any wrong according to them :rolleyes
THIS?:lol

spurtech09
02-22-2012, 12:14 AM
So you play him 20 and see if he can contribute a quick 12/9 or something. Don't run the risk of fucking with your team's confidence. Losing is one thing. Getting raped by 40+ can fuck with your game.
Just a game....:lmao

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:15 AM

The team's confidence? LOL, you're acting like the team is filled with a bunch of insecure junior high school bitches.

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:16 AM
The Blazer starters put in about 20 minutes of good work tonight and sealed the game. The game was over after the first quarter.

Essentially, Pop helped two teams out tonight. The Spurs lost and rested, and the Blazers won and rested. :rollin

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:18 AM
The team's confidence? LOL, you're acting like the team is filled with a bunch of insecure junior high school bitches.

A professional team getting beat down by 40+. It seems like I'm watching a bunch of junior high school bitches.

ZoParkerHill
Pop and his weird choices sometimes -_-

kidd_91
I don't think it will shatter the younger guys confidence....these guys are young and hungry....keep playing

wrong, look at them right now. blowing defense rotations, throwing half assed passes/shots. Their spirits are broken and all the good gains and confidence made these last 11 games has been shattered. Sorry, but you play Tim and Tony each 20 minutes tonight and this could have been a win.

SA210
02-22-2012, 12:19 AM

How stupid are you? These are NBA players. No reason Tony couldn't have played. You wanna rest Tim and baby him, go ahead. No excuse for sitting Tony out. Again all star break is already around the corner. We were on a roll. Wrong time do do some shit like this. Pop is an idiot.

None of these rests have amounted to shit in the playoffs since what, the year 2008? I'm not the one that sounds stupid here. These gimmicks you defend have done NOTHING for us in the playoffs in at least 3 years.

BanditHiro
02-22-2012, 12:20 AM
How stupid are you? These are NBA players. No reason Tony couldn't have played. You wanna rest Tim and baby him, go ahead. No excuse for sitting Tony out. Again all star break is already around the corner. We were on a roll. Wrong time do do some shit like this. Pop is an idiot.

None of these rests have amounted to shit in the playoffs since what, the year 2008? I'm not the one that sounds stupid here. These gimmicks you defend have done NOTHING for us in the playoffs in at least 3 years.

the spurs are still winning 50 games i don't know what you are bitching about.

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:21 AM

Pop believes he can half-ass his way to another title; senile ol' fuck.

Mugen
02-22-2012, 12:21 AM
lol i'd rest em against Denver too, tbh.

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:22 AM

50 games don't mean shit when you get bounced in the first round by the 8th seed or getting swept by the shit Suns.

SA210
02-22-2012, 12:23 AM

About a stubborn bitch coach.

Spursfan092120
02-22-2012, 12:23 AM
The team hasn't won a title ever since Pop started pulling this nonsense three years ago and I doubt TD can say "Thanks to Pop benching me that one game, we'll have a shot to win it all!"

We also don't get shit out of winning a bunch of games in the regular season and getting the 1 seed...we fizzle out in the first round because we're tired...see Memphis

SA210
02-22-2012, 12:24 AM
The Blazer starters put in about 20 minutes of good work tonight and sealed the game. The game was over after the first quarter.

Essentially, Pop helped two teams out tonight. The Spurs lost and rested, and the Blazers won and rested. :rollin

:lmao:rollin

007nites
02-22-2012, 12:25 AM
This is embarrassing. This is the biggest bush league thing I've ever seen. This is disgusting. I don't see why this even had to happen. When you talk about the Spurs your talking about excellence, titles, and winning. This is an embarrassment to the Holt family and the fans of San Antonio.

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:27 AM

The all-star break would have broken the team's momentum anyways. Parker has been having to carry this team all season and Duncan is old as fuck. LOL @ you calling it babying Duncan, as if the guy should be playing 40 minutes a night because you're a spoiled fan.

bresilhac
lol @ popsucker mentality

What am I supposed to say? "Fire Popovich immediately for this dumb, stupid fucking debacle approach to an easily winnable game"? I simply meant that someone who has won four titles has got to have some legitimate reason for letting something like tonight's loss happen. What it is I'll never know however.

Caeman
We also don't get shit out of winning a bunch of games in the regular season and getting the 1 seed...we fizzle out in the first round because we're tired...see Memphis

I still do not see how sitting out this game. A game in the last week of February of a compressed schedule is going to be deciding factor in winning a championship (this year, or any year for that matter).

Stop giving Pop credit from being a senile ol' fuck.

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 12:28 AM

Each time Pop tried this last season, someone got injured the next game.

spurtech09
wrong, look at them right now. blowing defense rotations, throwing half assed passes/shots. Their spirits are broken and all the good gains and confidence made these last 11 games has been shattered. Sorry, but you play Tim and Tony each 20 minutes tonight and this could have been a win.
Just one game its not the end of the world...sorry the spurs didn't win...winning means so much to you bro....of course the throwing passes around/blowing defense rotations/ducan/parker/manu/splitter in the line-up...what do you expect..for the backups to blow away the blazers?can't win every game and you can't play perfect/sometimes a team is going to struggle...yes even when you don't have your starters out there...but this lose is not going to shatter there dreams....sometimes you have to lose like this to play even harder the next game...spurs will bounce back...

baseline bum

LOL, playing Duncan 20 minutes wouldn't have done shit. With no Splitter they'd need him at 40 again to have any shot at a win. Might as well just take the rest instead of risking injury playing him all game for a third time in a row.

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:30 AM
The all-star break would have broken the team's momentum anyways. Parker has been having to carry this team all season and Duncan is old as fuck. LOL @ you calling it babying Duncan, as if the guy should be playing 40 minutes a night because you're a spoiled fan.

If the break is going to break momentum anyways, then why the fuck do you sacrifice a game on top of it? :rollin

Wouldn't you rather be +1 in the win column before going into the break and losing momentum? :lol

SA210
02-22-2012, 12:32 AM

:lol Funny how you keep focusing on Duncan because when the news first broke, I said it's TONY who should have DEFINITELY played. So moving on, regardless of an all star break breaking momentum...we don't know that so why say something stupid like that? Pop broke the momentum. If the all star break wasn't gonna do it, Pop sure did. No reason do it right now today when he did. No reason, other than him being afraid of being out-coached after the Blazers loss to the Lakers, so he went the easy route.

kidd_91
So if Tim and tony played 30 minutes tonight they will be tired for the playoffs? Say that out loud a few times and realize how stupid it sounds. these are freaking professional athletes, not some out of shape weekend warriors. what happens in the playoffs and the starting 5 is expected to play 35-40 minutes? Will they collapse and die? :lmao

Caeman
LOL, playing Duncan 20 minutes wouldn't have done shit. With no Splitter they'd need him at 40 again to have any shot at a win. Might as well just take the rest instead of risking injury playing him all game for a third time in a row.

Kind of like last year when we rested the big 3 the second last game of the season. Tell me again. How did that rest help with preventing the risk of injury afterwards?

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Kind of like last year when we rested the big 3 the second last game of the season. Tell me again. How did that rest help with preventing the risk of injury afterwards?

Should have rested them the last game too, since it was meaningless.

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:34 AM
So if Tim and tony played 30 minutes tonight they will be tired for the playoffs? Say that out loud a few times and realize how stupid it sounds. these are freaking professional athletes, not some out of shape weekend warriors. what happens in the playoffs and the starting 5 is expected to play 35-40 minutes? Will they collapse and die? :lmao

Apparently Pop thinks that if he can get away with playing his starters 81 games, instead of 82, it will be the decisive factor in winning the championship. :lol

shraediggz
02-22-2012, 12:35 AM

I don't know if you guys noticed or not, but last time the NBA held a condensed season, a #8 seed made it to the NBA Finals.

If the Spurs finished the season at 17-17, that would still give them a 40-26 record, good for a 60% win rate, which would put them in 4th- good enough for home advantage in the first round (as for later rounds... some good having the top seed in the west did us last year!).

Has a team won a title in a year Pop rested his stars? Maybe it's out of context but it happened in both 2007 and 2005 where one, two are all members of the big 3 sat out the same game. Healthy scratch or not.

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=136341
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2005/03/14/udrih-barry-duncan-start-parker-ginobili-out/

Seriously. What's the big deal. It's a mid season game in which Pop chose to rest Parker and Duncan on the eve of a tough schedule. We had several close games, and a few overtime games that proved quite taxing. games in which Duncan played 41 and 37 minutes, and Parker played 37+ minutes in 7 games in Feb.

Honestly. Chill out. We're playing well. It sucks we had to throw one out against Portland, but seeing as how many of us were ready to throw this season under the bus after the Manu injury, I'd say an 11-1 run before the all star break is a good thing.

The Spurs don't need a win streak to validate their season. They need a great playoff run.

spurtech09
truly people are going overboard with this loss...yeah it might of been a beat down by portland but it was just one loss...I would understand if the spurs were doing this on a daily bases..but no just one game and people are complaining...spoiled spurs fans lol

baseline bum

You get injured when you're tired. Imagine you just ran 10 feet and are out of breath. When you go the fridge your tired legs give out and you snap your ankle.

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Should have rested them the last game too, since it was meaningless.

The point is that rest is overrated when it comes to injuries. Especially when we're talking about 80 games vs 82. Injuries happen when they happen. You're not stopping them. People should not be praising this decision, which resulted in a 40+ point loss, as a genius decision. The guy is old and senile.

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:38 AM
The point is that rest is overrated when it comes to injuries. Especially when we're talking about 80 games vs 82. Injuries happen when they happen. You're not stopping them. People should not be praising this decision, which resulted in a 40+ point loss, as a genius decision. The guy is old and senile.

Because going half-ass and still getting the loss is better? Or burning Parker and Duncan out to get every regular season win is the way to go? I don't get what you're saying at all.

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:38 AM
You get injured when you're tired. Imagine you just ran 10 feet and are out of breath. When you go the fridge your tired legs give out and you snap your ankle.

You're missing the point. They get tired each and every game; they risk injury every game/practice. Playing 80, or even 78 games out of an 82 game season will not propell you to a title. It will not save you from an injury either.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 12:40 AM

Using this flawed logic Pop might as well sit Duncan the rest of the year, since its condensed with many more B2B's left to come yet.

Caeman
02-22-2012, 12:40 AM
It doesn't matter. We disagree on the decision. It's done now. Pop is Pop. Unfortunately, Pop is senile.

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Using this flawed logic Pop might as well sit Duncan the rest of the year, since its condensed with many more B2B's left to come yet.

So Ginobili and Splitter are out for the rest of the season, and every game is the second of a back to back when Parker and Duncan have been playing 40 minutes per the previous games? What a stupid strawman. This is exactly the kind of game you throw in a lockout season.

Spursfan092120
I still do not see how sitting out this game. A game in the last week of February of a compressed schedule is going to be deciding factor in winning a championship (this year, or any year for that matter).

Maybe they needed a rest...Duncan was tired, we lost two of our main players last game...Pop didn't want to risk it. Therefore, he sat them. I'm going to trust Pop more than you, no offense.

Mugen

Don't think anybody is calling it a "genius" decision.

I disagree with Pop on a lot of things but resting your top two guys (one who happens to be 35 with bad knees) on the 2nd night of a b2b after playing two tough games and pretty much carrying the team for the last month and a half is probably not a bad idea.

TJastal
truly people are going overboard with this loss...yeah it might of been a beat down by portland but it was just one loss...I would understand if the spurs were doing this on a daily bases..but no just one game and people are complaining...spoiled spurs fans lol

So how many more games do you think Pop should forfeit this year?

TJastal
02-22-2012, 12:45 AM
So Ginobili and Splitter are out for the rest of the season, and every game is the second of a back to back when Parker and Duncan have been playing 40 minutes per the previous games? What a stupid strawman. This is exactly the kind of game you throw in a lockout season.

No, you don't throw a game when you have a week of rest coming up, especially against a western conference contender that you may be facing in the playoffs.

If you absolutely must rest BOTH your best available players (and even that is dumb IMO, you play 1 or the other), you wait for an eastern conference patsy team.

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 12:45 AM

The team inherits its mentality from its coach. If the coach is weak minded the team will be weak minded. Pop can't call out his team for being soft in the playoffs when he's soft himself.

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:50 AM
No, you don't throw a game when you have a week of rest coming up, especially against a western conference contender that you may be facing in the playoffs.

If you absolutely must rest BOTH your best available players (and even that is dumb IMO, you play 1 or the other), you wait for an eastern conference patsy team.

If you need rest why do you play them in a game when they'll both need to play 40+ minutes after playing 40+ minute games the previous two? Why would you not play them instead against the eastern patsy you can probably beat with each guy playing 25-30 minutes? Man, you really have shit for brains and an irrational hatred of Parker.

kidd_91
02-22-2012, 12:53 AM
it's not about the loss, it about setting your guys up to fail. You want to rest Tim and Tony, fine tell them you get 15-20 minutes and that's it. This at least will give the bench a chance, and not a 40 point loss that was over in the first quarter. Either way it's over, I'm not going to change my opinion and the Pop lovers won't change theirs. Hopefully this summer we will be watching a Spurs Championship Bluray and they can play some dramatic music and highlight the resting/forfeiting of this game as the changing moment in the 2012 season.

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Historically we do well against those teams, save the 76ers. Everyone was pleased and surprised that the Spurs took the game in Philly this year.

The Blazers play the Spurs well, especially at home. The Rose Garden is a formidable arena and I honestly believe Pop is scared to watch his team get beat down in a playoff-like environment like Portland. I've been there (Portland), I believe Pop is scared of that shit. Timmy, Parker, Manu are not scared. But, Pop is, and Pop leads.

Pop doesn't understand giving away psychological advantages against a potential playoff matchup like game 1 against the Grizzlies.

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:55 AM
So the team loses by 20 instead when players 5-12 who couldn't hang with Portland for 48 minutes can't hang for 30 minutes? What's the difference? If you're going to play them, then you might as well play them 40 and try for the win.

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 12:56 AM

A padre's 1st post no less. :lol

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 12:58 AM
LOL @ padre complaining about playoff seeding, as if the Spurs didn't win a series at the 7-seed and blow first round series at the 1 and 3 seed the last 3 years.

spurtech09
02-22-2012, 01:02 AM
So how many more games do you think Pop should forfeit this year?
who said anything about forfeiting games?Trufuly Idk.....maybe you can answer your own question?:blah:downspin:

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 01:02 AM
So then you play this season with the following mindset; go all out against shit opponents (you'll never see in the playoffs) and cower like a bunch of pussies against quality teams (who you do see in the playoffs). Yeah, I'm sure that's condusive to winning more titles.

Exactly that's setting yourself up for disappointment when it matters most. It's good to get that experience against potential playoff opponents. If you lose to the Raptors at worse it's an L but you're not going to face them again.

It's the exact same thing that happened last year. The Spurs feasted on bad teams and then got lucky by facing good teams that were dealing with injuries and not 100 percent. When the Lakers were fully healthy and faced them they beat the Spurs by 30 meanwhile everybody got happy of the wins against the Lakers when they were less than 100 percent.

It's much better to know your team sucks and try to improve than to try to ignore it.

mexicanjunior
02-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Pretty silly to sit Duncan and Parker with the All Star break 3 days away but we would not have won this game anyway. Blazers were shooting lights out from the 3 point line and I don't think Duncan and Parker would have changed that. Still though, pretty sad to see Pop raise the white flag before the game even started. Only player that did anything positive was Leonard, he deserves his starting spot in the rotation back...

shraediggz
02-22-2012, 01:13 AM

Let's not overreact here.

Duncan played 37 and 41 minutes his last two games? San Antonio needed that much out of him to get the W's. Rather than Cap his minutes and risk the win, Pop chose to let him play. But at what point does one say "I need to rest my 35 yo center". 3 of our last 4 W's were decided by one possession. As for Parker, he averaged 37+ mpg in Feb, the last time we won a title with someone in our big 3 averaging more than 34mpg was back in 2003.

The Spurs just reeled off 11 straight wins in a condensed season. They would need to reel off 13 straight losses and finish the season with 11-9 to put them out of playoff contention.

We're 23 and 10 at the moment. If we go 17-16 to end the season that would give us a 60% win clip. There are only 3 other teams doing better than that in the west right now.

And the last time the NBA had a shortened season, an 8th seed made the finals.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/35082/rest-is-a-weapon

SA210

The team inherits its mentality from its coach. If the coach is weak minded the team will be weak minded. Pop can't call out his team for being soft in the playoffs when he's soft himself.

:tu :tu

therealtruth

What's more important than earning the one seed is winning the correct away against quality opponents. That's going to help you more in the playoffs. The Spurs didn't do that last year. They got lots of W's last year but few really quality wins against good teams at 100%.

Paranoid Pop
02-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Pop is right and all the haters only deserve VDN or some other scrub coach.

Tim and Tony go down and you don't make the playoffs bar none.

Regular season means jack shit, peaking before the AS break, how useless is that?

jiggy_55
02-22-2012, 01:25 AM
This was complete bullshit. Not only do Duncan and Parker get rested (does Duncan even need it? He's about to get 5 days off for the All-Star break!), but he also rests Matt Bonner, Neal and RJ with neither playing more than 20minutes? What a fucking joke :rollin

DrSteffo
02-22-2012, 01:39 AM
No big deal and this was probably a smart move by Pop.

rr2418
02-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Maybe Pop just wanted to see the young players play without the comfort of having Duncan and Parker bail them out...I don't know! Maybe he wanted to see what he has in Eric Dawson. I think it was Caeman that wrote that this game film is useless to review. I disagree! I think Pop will use this to point out the good and the bad(there were lots of 'em) plays from his young players. We're just fans, we don't know what goes on day in and day out at Spurs HQ. We think we know! Some fans talk like if they're right in the middle of Spurs practices..:lol I guess that's what makes being a fan fun! :D

rr2418
02-22-2012, 02:18 AM

Who said that sitting out a game means winning a championship? Pop just simply wanted to rest Duncan and Parker! I really don't think Pop is going to lose any sleep b/c you don't agree! :rollin

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 02:27 AM

The problem with throwing games is it puts much more of an importance on winning the next game out. You want to avoid losing streaks which now almost seems inevitable.

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Pop's ability to coach through the regular season seems solid. However in the playoffs he's been pretty bad. The problem may be his regular season coaching is affecting his playoff coaching. That's why it's easier to coach one way. Basically the regular season is practice for the playoffs. The best practice you can get is getting quality wins against good teams like a Trailblazers team that is strong at home. The wins against the weak teams don't do any thing for you except pad your W's.

Rapper
02-22-2012, 03:32 AM
I certainly know that pop wanted to avoid wearing down his stars but to be honest. it hurts

I'd like to see 13 winning streak and perfect on the Rodeo road trip

TJastal
02-22-2012, 03:55 AM
If you need rest why do you play them in a game when they'll both need to play 40+ minutes after playing 40+ minute games the previous two? Why would you not play them instead against the eastern patsy you can probably beat with each guy playing 25-30 minutes? Man, you really have shit for brains and an irrational hatred of Parker.

I have shit for brains apparently... for wanting to give the undermanned team a fighting chance.

This about sums up my feeling too:

it's not about the loss, it about setting your guys up to fail. You want to rest Tim and Tony, fine tell them you get 15-20 minutes and that's it. This at least will give the bench a chance, and not a 40 point loss that was over in the first quarter. Either way it's over, I'm not going to change my opinion and the Pop lovers won't change theirs. Hopefully this summer we will be watching a Spurs Championship Bluray and they can play some dramatic music and highlight the resting/forfeiting of this game as the changing moment in the 2012 season.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 03:56 AM
Pop's ability to coach through the regular season seems solid. However in the playoffs he's been pretty bad. The problem may be his regular season coaching is affecting his playoff coaching. That's why it's easier to coach one way. Basically the regular season is practice for the playoffs. The best practice you can get is getting quality wins against good teams like a Trailblazers team that is strong at home. The wins against the weak teams don't do any thing for you except pad your W's.

:pop: Every once in awhile though I like to bend my guys over and let em take one up the ass. It's good for em. Builds character.

Proxy
02-22-2012, 04:03 AM
I can't believe this thread has gone on this long. It's one fucking game. If the Spurs are the contenders we want them to be, then this game doesn't matter and rest is more important. How people think they know more than a professional coach with 4 rings on his hand is beyond me.

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 04:06 AM
I have shit for brains apparently... for wanting to give the undermanned team a fighting chance.

This about sums up my feeling too:

I won't argue with yea on the shit for brains comment. I just checked and, low and behold, the Spurs wern't eliminated from the playoffs despite that beat down in Portland last night. Was really sweating it. :lol

TJastal
02-22-2012, 04:07 AM
I can't believe this thread has gone on this long. It's one fucking game. If the Spurs are the contenders we want them to be, then this game doesn't matter and rest is more important. How people think they know more than a professional coach with 4 rings on his hand is beyond me.

:pop: Thanks sonny, I like it when people remember those 4 titles. I have 4 of em, you know.

Proxy
02-22-2012, 04:09 AM
:pop: Thanks sonny, I like it when people remember those 4 titles. I have 4 of em, you know.

You should go coach an NBA team, TJ

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 04:12 AM

But losses like these let us get to see Tjastal come out in full force with his own brand of brilliant basketball takes. Its quite entertaining tbh.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 04:16 AM
I won't argue with yea on the shit for brains comment. I just checked and, low and behold, the Spurs wern't eliminated from the playoffs despite that beat down in Portland last night. Was really sweating it. :lol

:pop: Way to give that tjastal prick a piece of your mind, JJ. He just doesn't understand our way of thinking. Like how great it is to bend over every once in awhile and take one up the rear. To a western conference playoff contender. With almost 7 days of rest coming up in less than 3 days. And the worst team in professional basketball after that. Damn prick.

Proxy
02-22-2012, 04:17 AM
But losses like these let us get to see Tjastal come out in full force with his own brand of brilliant basketball takes. Its quite entertaining tbh.

I wish I had your ability to look at the bright side of shit for brains.... I envy you.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 04:21 AM
I envy your ability to get Pop's balls firmly placed on your chin. That must take years of practice. I wish I could do that.

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 04:27 AM
I wish I had your ability to look at the bright side of shit for brains.... I envy you.

You should look up some of Tjastal's posts. Hes a legend around here. :lol

UnWantedTheory
02-22-2012, 05:52 AM
No one should view this as a genius decision, nor should they view it as a decision made out of senility. View it with indifference.

This is ridiculous. People are stating one game of rest isn't going to help our chances to win a ship, but this one loss will not kill them either. Rest for TD and TP should be given wherever possible as they have had a heavy burden this season and seasons past. It isn't just this one game, but all the accumulative minutes that are and should be managed. I am not upset at Pop for resting them, but I am upset that this team lost the way they did. I am not going to lose any sleep over this, nor will the players I think, but they are professionals and should have played at a higher level. Instead of bashing Pop with little reason concerning the rest, criticize him for the players that were on the floor being ill prepared.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 06:13 AM
No one should view this as a genius decision, nor should they view it as a decision made out of senility. View it with indifference.

This is ridiculous. People are stating one game of rest isn't going to help our chances to win a ship, but this one loss will not kill them either. Rest for TD and TP should be given wherever possible as they have had a heavy burden this season and seasons past. It isn't just this one game, but all the accumulative minutes that are and should be managed. I am not upset at Pop for resting them, but I am upset that this team lost the way they did. I am not going to lose any sleep over this, nor will the players I think, but they are professionals and should have played at a higher level. Instead of bashing Pop with little reason concerning the rest, criticize him for the players that were on the floor being ill prepared.

I think the criticism is valid @ Pop concerning the rest. Spurs have 3 days before the all-star break where everyone will get a week's worth of rest. Not really the time to be resting guys, especially against a western conference playoff contender. Now if we happen to face that team in the playoffs they will have a big mental advantage and a assload of confidence heading in.

What Pop should have done was try to finish the RRT strong, then do your R&R for a week. If he was going to give rests it should have been done weeks ago when the team was facing all those sub .500 eastern conference bottom dwellers.

benefactor
02-22-2012, 06:39 AM
:cry:cryPop won't play the players I want to watch:cry:cry

What's funnier is that the same posters would be in here blasting Pop for playing Parker and Duncan in a meaningless game if he would have played them and one of them would have gotten hurt.

ffadicted
02-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Only at spurstalk will the samae people keep mentioning that regular season records don't mean shit and it's fool's gold come playoff time, and then complain about giving up a regular season game for some rest time to play better in the playoffs lol

Brazil
02-22-2012, 10:28 AM
I just checked the 6 pages of that thread... :lol it's a big GNSF takes orgy

manufan10
02-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Only at spurstalk will the samae people keep mentioning that regular season records don't mean shit and it's fool's gold come playoff time, and then complain about giving up a regular season game for some rest time to play better in the playoffs lol

Good point. :lol

manufan10
02-22-2012, 10:34 AM
You should look up some of Tjastal's posts. Hes a legend around here. :lol

And not in a positive way either. :lol

Brazil
02-22-2012, 10:39 AM
And not in a positive way either. :lol

he is the GNSF takes king

manufan10
02-22-2012, 10:43 AM
he is the GNSF takes king

:king

VBM
02-22-2012, 11:09 AM
:cry:cryPop won't play the players I want to watch:cry:cry

What's funnier is that the same posters would be in here blasting Pop for playing Parker and Duncan in a meaningless game if he would have played them and one of them would have gotten hurt.

If the Spurs are 100% healthy with, let's say, 10 games left in the season and a playoff spot clinched, do you sit the big 3 completely for those 10 games?

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 12:47 PM

The reason is a regular season record is fool's gold is because of all the bad teams that you play. You want to get wins against quality opponents which the Spurs really didn't do last season. You're going to need to win against quality opponents in the playoffs. If Pop keeps trying to avoid the good teams you think he is helping the team for the playoffs?

DJB
02-22-2012, 12:58 PM
You'd have to be a fool to not see him at LEAST resting Timmy after the game in Utah. He played 38 minutes. In fact, I'm glad he rested both of them, not a big deal. Streaks are overrated.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
The reason is a regular season record is fool's gold is because of all the bad teams that you play. You want to get wins against quality opponents which the Spurs really didn't do last season. You're going to need to win against quality opponents in the playoffs. If Pop keeps trying to avoid the good teams you think he is helping the team for the playoffs?Yeah, the Spurs totally avoided every good team this season.

Great take.

Spur|n|Austin
02-22-2012, 01:09 PM
You'd have to be a fool to not see him at LEAST resting Timmy after the game in Utah. He played 38 minutes. In fact, I'm glad he rested both of them, not a big deal. Streaks are overrated.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
If the Spurs are 100% healthy with, let's say, 10 games left in the season and a playoff spot clinched, do you sit the big 3 completely for those 10 games?

Apparently that's the new plan nowadays. Since seeding and home court doesn't matter anymore. Just do enough to clinch the 8th seed then forfeit the rest of the games and give all the old farts extended rest so they can start the playoffs playing 40+ minutes stiff as a frozen board.

:lol :rollin
:lol :rollin

benefactor
02-22-2012, 01:52 PM
I understand what you are trying to say here...but the situation with this game is a little bit different.

You have several variables working here...a somewhat meaningless game, a back to back and multiple injuries to key players. You also had an overtime game where both Duncan and Parker played big minutes just two days before that. In order to get the win in the current game, they will likely have to play big minutes again. Now, if you want to argue Parker playing then I will give you that. He's young and should be able to handle it. But I don't even think twice about resting Duncan. He's played 79 minutes in the past 3 days. It's just not worth the risk.

Furthermore, if you are going to rest Duncan, why even play Parker even though he could? It's not like you have a chance with him and just the role players against Portland on a back to back.

All in all, if you look at the actual odds of winning this game with Parker and Duncan they weren't very good. The Spurs best bench player was sidelined and they are on a back to back after two games in three days with bigger than normal minutes for both. Hell, they were very lucky to get that win in Utah.

spurtech09
02-22-2012, 02:04 PM
only at spurstalk will the samae people keep mentioning that regular season records don't mean shit and it's fool's gold come playoff time, and then complain about giving up a regular season game for some rest time to play better in the playoffs lol
+1

spurtech09
02-22-2012, 02:07 PM
The reason is a regular season record is fool's gold is because of all the bad teams that you play. You want to get wins against quality opponents which the Spurs really didn't do last season. You're going to need to win against quality opponents in the playoffs. If Pop keeps trying to avoid the good teams you think he is helping the team for the playoffs?
um spurs have already beaten quality teams.....pop is trying to avoid injuries in b2b games.....:blah

VBM
02-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Now, if you want to argue Parker playing then I will give you that. He's young and should be able to handle it. But I don't even think twice about resting Duncan. He's played 79 minutes in the past 3 days. It's just not worth the risk.

Furthermore, if you are going to rest Duncan, why even play Parker even though he could? It's not like you have a chance with him and just the role players against Portland on a back to back.

Benching Parker is part of the issue since he is the youngest of the big 3. I think you discount how much of a chance San Antonio would have had if Parker had been in the lineup. Defenses have to adjust to his penetration, whereas last night, there was no threat of that and SA became easy to defend.

I also think you have to discount the risk factor. Duncan could take 10 games off, and in the 11th game, he could break an ankle on someone's foot 2 minutes into the game. The risk will always be there no matter how much Pop tries to keep him off the court. The real thing you lose with Duncan is effectiveness (I don't think he would have been more injury-prone against Portland; his shot might have simply been flat). However, having Duncan out there means Portland has to account for him.

Finally, the allstar break is coming up. Duncan will have all the time in the world to rest, and Parker won't see much time behind Kobe, Paul and company. Timing just seems off for doing this.

benefactor
02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Benching Parker is part of the issue since he is the youngest of the big 3. I think you discount how much of a chance San Antonio would have had if Parker had been in the lineup. Defenses have to adjust to his penetration, whereas last night, there was no threat of that and SA became easy to defend.

There is some merit to this. However, I still thing there would be enough of a fatigue factor combined with the lack of Splitter with the second unit would have been too much to overcome. It took 23/11/6 from him the night before and an otherworldly performance from Bonner to just barely get the W. I can't see that being duplicated on a b2b.

I also think you have to discount the risk factor. Duncan could take 10 games off, and in the 11th game, he could break an ankle on someone's foot 2 minutes into the game. The risk will always be there no matter how much Pop tries to keep him off the court. The real thing you lose with Duncan is effectiveness (I don't think he would have been more injury-prone against Portland; his shot might have simply been flat). However, having Duncan out there means Portland has to account for him.

Oh there is definitely risk. When you play that many minutes the muscle fatigue can easily lead to a strain, which is something that the Spurs can ill afford right now with Spitter sidelined. You also bring up effectiveness...which brings me back to the night before. Can we get another 20/7 out of Duncan...with the same defensive intensity? I have some pretty serious doubts.

Finally, the allstar break is coming up. Duncan will have all the time in the world to rest, and Parker won't see much time behind Kobe, Paul and company. Timing just seems off for doing this.
I think it was more about the game itself and less about timing. For reasons I previously stated it just didn't really look like a winnable game on paper. They would be even more tired than they were against Utah and they needed pretty big performances from both of them and huge performance from Bonner to eek out the win. With no rim presence outside of Duncan they were probably going to get destroyed in the paint and on the boards like they were the night before. It just looks like there were too many variables to overcome to bother with stretching Duncan and Parker in order to try to get a win...especially with the team in great shape record-wise.