PDA

View Full Version : Again...Does Corey Joseph have any basketball skills?

SequSpur
02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
no comment necessary.

Two10Whitey
02-21-2012, 11:34 PM
no comment necessary.

Sometimes.

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2012, 11:34 PM
lol robbed the spurs of a draft pick, all he does is ruun with the ball which anyone of us can do...everything else is just pure garbage

jermaine
02-21-2012, 11:53 PM
It's almost sad to say but you know he's gone when Ford gets back. He never looks to shoot.

Kewni Leonard
02-21-2012, 11:57 PM
This guy is ass. Average to below average defense. Can't shoot. Can't make plays. Just overall an awful pick. A FIRST ROUND PICK.

Notorious H.O.P.
02-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Can't handle the ball, poor court vision, can't make a jump shot to save his life, etc,etc, etc....

spurtech09
02-22-2012, 12:16 AM
well he is a rookie....give the dude a break....

jermaine
02-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Guess he can shoot!

spurtech09
02-22-2012, 12:20 AM
nerves

GSH
02-22-2012, 12:26 AM
13 points and 2-3 from the 3P line. Were you even watching?

meltdown in 3...2....1..

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2012, 12:29 AM
13 points and 2-3 from the 3P line. Were you even watching?

meltdown in 3...2....1..

that came in the final 2mins of the last quarter, all the mins of the game he got, he did shit all...explains why at one point of the game he was leading in -/+ untill anderson took the crown from him...

spectator
02-22-2012, 12:31 AM
for a pg who cannot use his off hand to dribble, he would be terrible at all levels, not just the nba

GSH
02-22-2012, 12:32 AM
that came in the final 2mins of the last quarter, all the mins of the game he got, he did shit all...explains why at one point of the game he was leading in -/+ untill anderson took the crown from him...

Dude - I did everything but write "this is a joke" on that post. Joseph sucked. They might as well have put Bonner at the point.

I feel sorry for him. He's been looking steadily worse since the beginning of the season. Tonight he looked like a high school kid. Not many people ever get exposed that badly.

spectator
02-22-2012, 12:39 AM
the bad thing is that the dude is not tradeable. same goes for anderson.

chazley
02-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Guess I'm the only one willing to give him a chance, I think he actually has good handles. He is lightning quick and can spot up shoot 3's (shot a great percentage in college), which isn't a common combination of skills. Considering his training camp was a quick stint in a preseason game, and he's gotten almost zero playing time in games or practice, I think people are rushing too quickly to write him off completely.

It is concerning that when he first got here he said his strongest attribute was his defense, and so far his defense hasn't been good enough.

Ice009
02-22-2012, 01:53 AM
lightning quick? can shoot 3s? I didn't know you can be quick hunched over like he plays.

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 02:52 AM
Couldn't the Spurs have signed him for minimum. Probably no other team would have drafted him. They could hten have drafted a player that will help now.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-22-2012, 03:10 AM
He was better on penetration and got to the rim a couple of times. He obviously is in over his head running this offense but he also didn't turn the ball over.

Kid has no experience playing high level basketball and he plays the most mentally demanding position on the court. He is not very good now but most prospects coming in are not. Hopefully the NBADL will do him some good. He needs reps and practice time neither of which he is getting now.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Does Corey Joseph have basketball skills? No, not really, but thats why we play these scrimmage games.

MR.SILVER&BLack
02-22-2012, 04:18 AM
but guys hes got a great attitude & hes willing to learn. in the end isnt that all that matters? :bang

UnWantedTheory
02-22-2012, 04:24 AM
He has looked terrible and it is damn near impossible to justify the pick used on him, but we have to give him a couple more years before throwing him away.

UnWantedTheory
02-22-2012, 04:25 AM
He was better on penetration and got to the rim a couple of times. He obviously is in over his head running this offense but he also didn't turn the ball over.

Kid has no experience playing high level basketball and he plays the most mentally demanding position on the court. He is not very good now but most prospects coming in are not. Hopefully the NBADL will do him some good. He needs reps and practice time neither of which he is getting now.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 04:25 AM
but guys hes got a great attitude & hes willing to learn. in the end isnt that all that matters? :bang

Thats why the league has the charlotte bobcats.

Darkwaters
02-22-2012, 04:27 AM
We all knew that Cory Joseph was going to be a work in progress when he was drafted. Hes super young and came out of school way too early.

Still, that being said, I'm just not really seeing it. I think the Spurs need to seriously consider drafting a PG in the 1st again this year.

jimo2305
02-22-2012, 04:40 AM
yep just like i've been saying.. drafted him waaayyy too early..

chazley
02-22-2012, 05:12 AM
I think the Spurs need to seriously consider drafting a PG in the 1st again this year.

No way. We need to draft a big man BAD. We're set at both guard positions and SF.

SpurNation
02-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Have skills..Yes. Polished..No. Dunno...something inside of me likes Corey's potential. Will it pan out to being worth a first round pick? Time will tell.

pgardn
02-22-2012, 08:07 AM
The Texas games were available for viewers in this area. The kid was not even the best guard on his own team in college. This was a huge rush job. Imo this was a case where scouts looked at his athleticism and thought he had big potential to get even stronger and faster.

This is an interesting case as to what long term effects rushing a player into a situation he cant handle are. This ordeal certainly wont help his confidence.

I think its pretty clear he does not have Jeremy Lin ball skills and vision, even though he could match him in speed (without the ball) and physicality. Kinda sad right now.

Darkwaters
02-22-2012, 08:19 AM
No way. We need to draft a big man BAD. We're set at both guard positions and SF.

Ummm, not really.

Our strongest position is definitely the wing with Ginobili, Neal, Green and Leonard. I consider RJ and Anderson gone already. And with DeColo a strong possibility to come over next year then we're looking good.

PG is actually fairly weak. Parker is great, but TJ Ford is glass and Cory Joseph isn't ready. A stronger 3rd PG would be very helpful.

Bigman rotation is definitely our weakest. Duncan and Splitter are nice bigs, but is Duncan coming back and at what price? Bonner is a really good 4th big and Blair is a 6th big at this juncture.

But if we make a trade and pick up a decent young big for Anderson/Blair this season, and then sign Lorbek we'll look a lot different down low. At that point I think you consider a PG. Looking at this draft though, there isn't a ton of PG depth, but a lot of bigs. Thats probably what you take. But we do need a PG.

SpurNation
02-22-2012, 08:34 AM
But if we make a trade and pick up a decent young big for Anderson/Blair this season, and then sign Lorbek we'll look a lot different down low. At that point I think you consider a PG. Looking at this draft though, there isn't a ton of PG depth, but a lot of bigs. Thats probably what you take. But we do need a PG.

That could be an interesting development in next year's draft. A good pg selection just might be available being so many bigs might be selected prior to the Spurs selection.

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2012, 09:05 AM

rather signed pg vets, then waste drafts on pgs

corey is even worst then quinn

CGD
02-22-2012, 09:32 AM
In a stronger draft he wouldnt have been a 1st round pick.

Old School 44
02-22-2012, 10:15 AM
I think this was a Buford "family/friend" pick. RC's personal connections with the Longhorns clouded his judgement with this pick. With that said, I think CJ was meant for development in the D-league all along, but with the injuries to Ford, Manu and the initial poor play at the point for Neal, the call-up was necessary.

cheguevara
02-22-2012, 10:18 AM
yes he does have skills. But not enough to deserve even backup PG minutes. He is a bench warmer only use in emergencies for now.

I actually liked Temple much more than Joseph.

wildbill2u
02-22-2012, 11:00 AM
In a few years he would make a nice player....in one of those leagues where everyone has to be under 6'.

He's so small and frail that every other PG in the league will be licking their chops to take him down low and post him.

Russ
02-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Who went behind him that's any good? (And the Spurs got Bertans in the 2d round, a more advatageous position to take him.)

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 12:30 PM

I can't understand ignoring the need to draft a big.

LongtimeSpursFan
02-22-2012, 12:45 PM
I cringed every time he seem to dribble into a trap. Dude could have easily split the defenders or passed to the big that was rolling to the basket after the screen. Instead he dribbled to a trap and even worse next to the baseline that left him in serious trouble. He has a lot of work to do.

pgardn
02-22-2012, 05:49 PM
I think this was a Buford "family/friend" pick. RC's personal connections with the Longhorns clouded his judgement with this pick. With that said, I think CJ was meant for development in the D-league all along, but with the injuries to Ford, Manu and the initial poor play at the point for Neal, the call-up was necessary.

Spurs fans, expect Alexis Wangmene to get a shot with us then.

spursince#99
02-22-2012, 05:51 PM
the worst pick of all time

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 05:59 PM
I can't understand ignoring the need to draft a big.

You draft the best player available with your 1st rounder imo. You start drafting for need, you stand a good chance of reaching for a player based on your individual team's needs, which in the Spur's case, would be a bigman. This is a different story though, if a big man that is valued at your team's pick, is there.

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 06:01 PM
the worst pick of all time

Not even close. Look up the Spur's 1985 1st round draft pick.

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Spurs fans, expect Alexis Wangmene to get a shot with us then.

Doubt he gets drafted, too small. He might get a training camp invite next year though.

spursince#99
02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Not even close. Look up the Spur's 1986 1st round draft pick.

Johnny Dawkins?

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Johnny Dawkins?

Oops, sorry, I meant 1985 draft. Alfredrick "the great" Hughes.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=HUGHEAL01

pgardn
02-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Doubt he gets drafted, too small. He might get a training camp invite next year though.

If he does get drafted it better not be by us.

And thats basically what I meant, he gets a look as a gift.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-22-2012, 08:23 PM
While its fun to shit on your own teams players in prospects, in fairness to Joseph, in 37 minutes, did not turn the ball over once. They were trying to pressure the ball when he had it too. Thats remarkable but by all means shit on him some more.

BackHome
02-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Fuzzy- After reading your post I felt bad I mean he is a Spurs player and we need to stand up for our team. So I deleted my post and am taking all the bad words out. However I have to be honest and say the Spurs did not do him any favors by getting him in the first round. I fill sorry for the fact that bringing him for these games has probably destroyed his confidence and will have a negative impact on his career.

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Way too early to give up on Joseph. The kid would be a sophmore right now, if he would of stayed at UT. I knew this was a raw prospect, and a pick for down the road. Injuries forced the Spurs to play him though, when clearly he wasn't ready.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Fuzzy- After reading your post I felt bad I mean he is a Spurs player and we need to stand up for our team. So I deleted my post and am taking all the bad words out. However I have to be honest and say the Spurs did not do him any favors by getting him in the first round. I fill sorry for the fact that bringing him for these games has probably destroyed his confidence and will have a negative impact on his career.

Lol talk as much shit as you want man. it doesn't bother me at all. Feel free to call me a stupid homer asshole and the players a bunch of lazy talentless fuckheads. I am amazingly resilient.

Corey also did not seem to get downtrodden by the beating as he started shooting better at the end.

James Anderson's psyche otoh....

FkLA
02-22-2012, 09:38 PM
You can usually read a player pretty early and even in the first few games of the season were he got limited PT you could tell he wasnt very good. Hes pretty much another 35 yr old Jacque Vaughn, even though hes only like 19. Way too passive in every aspect of the game, doesnt look to shoot or create. Most point guards seem to be quicker than him too so defensively hes also not very good. Looking like a terrible pick tbh.

FkLA
02-23-2012, 03:19 AM
Has alot of upside. Does have alot to improve but the guy spent one year in college. He can shoot and defend, and did get alot of mins last night without a turn over. He needs a year to develop, I can see him being TPs replacement in a few years but at min he should become a solid backup.

:lol

Arent you the same guy that was convinced the Spurs should tank ?

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-23-2012, 03:25 AM
You can usually read a player pretty early and even in the first few games of the season were he got limited PT you could tell he wasnt very good. Hes pretty much another 35 yr old Jacque Vaughn, even though hes only like 19. Way too passive in every aspect of the game, doesnt look to shoot or create. Most point guards seem to be quicker than him too so defensively hes also not very good. Looking like a terrible pick tbh.

If he carves a career even remotely close to Vaughn's he'd have done great for himself and for the team(s) he'd play for.

jjktkk
02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
PTR: Putting CJ in perspective...

http://t.co/uEhWRHte

G-Dawgg
02-23-2012, 05:30 PM
He's being groomed for the long term future. The Spurs coaching staff will program him into becoming a good point guard. I like alot of his physical attributes and his demeanor. I think that he is the type of person that can learn and prosper in their system. He's got lots of time to learn. Parker isnt retiring anytime soon and Ford is the backup point guard when not injured. Point guard is the hardest position to learn in the NBA and it'll definately take some time to learn