PDA

View Full Version : You guys just have to learn to look at the bright side

GSH
02-22-2012, 01:21 AM
You guys are so negative. You would think nothing good happened tonight.

The Spurs had more offensive rebounds than the Blazers.
The Spurs got to the FT line 32 times, compared to only 24 for the Blazers.
The Blazers only outscored us 52-36 in the paint, compared to 56-30 by the Jazz.
Our top scorer outscored theirs.
Our top rebounder tied theirs.
We had one player with 5 steals. Their whole team got 5 steals.
We had 6 players in double figures vs. 5 last night
We shot almost as good from the 3P line as we did last night. (8-20 vs. 10-21)

I think some of you just need to stop and smell the roses. :p:

Okay... seriously. The Spurs were playing without their FOUR best players. What did you think was going to happen? Imagine OKC playing without Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka. Or Miami playing without LeBron, Bosh, Wade, and Chalmers. Or, if you really want to have some fun, picture the Clippers without Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Caron Butler, and Mo Williams. Those would be some ugly-ass lineups.

You may not agree with Pop's decision to let a game go, in favor of getting some rest. But don't be so twisted about the outcome of the contest. It was never supposed to be a contest. And on top of everything else, the Blazers were coming off a humiliating night, and hitting everything.

Pop rested the guys he wanted to, gave Anderson and Dawson good looks, and made absolutely certain the loss didn't make any kind of statement. This was the Blazers last game before the ASB - it won't even give them any momentum by the time the break is over.

Smile. :toast

ElNono
02-22-2012, 01:24 AM
We lost by 40 points... it's not being "negative", it's what happened and really the only stat that matters...

Will this matter going forward? Probably not.
Was it a disgrace of a showing? No doubt about it.

Burn the tape and move on.

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 01:26 AM
You left out that the pop haters will come out now like cockroaches and meltdown in the forum. Prett entertaining tbh.

GSH
02-22-2012, 01:32 AM
We lost by 40 points... it's not being "negative", it's what happened and really the only stat that matters...

I knew a guy in high school who signed up for Physics before his senior year, and then changed his mind. But the counsellor wouldn't let him get out of it. She insisted he'd be better off staying and making a mediocre grade. He told here that he wouldn't hand in a single assignment for the whole year, and she called his bluff. So he didn't. I asked him why and he said that if he made a 70 in the class, people would think he was a dumbass. But if he made a zero, people would assume it was some kind of mistake, or know that he really didn't try. (He had perfect grades otherwise.) It seemed to work for him, because he was happy as hell about it.

Tonight's loss was like that, to me. Honestly, I think I mind this loss less than any other I can remember. I just don't see how you can let it sting that badly.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 01:35 AM

Nobody recorded this one.

mexicanjunior
02-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Imagine OKC playing without Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka. Or Miami playing without LeBron, Bosh, Wade, and Chalmers. Or, if you really want to have some fun, picture the Clippers without Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Caron Butler, and Mo Williams. Those would be some ugly-ass lineups.

I don't think any of those teams would sit 2 of their top 4 willingly when playoff seeding had not already been decided. In fact, if Spoelstra, Brooks or Del Negro healthy scratched 2 of their top 4 players, 3 days before the ASG, the media would probably rip them apart.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2012, 01:37 AM
The meltdown going on in the forum right now is awesome. For 11 games prior, all the naysayers had nothing to complain about. Now, they can get all worked up until the next game, spewing Pop-hate until their heads explode.

:pop: :idiot :madrun: :cuss :shootme :pctoss :smchode:

jjktkk
A good question might be if the Spurs get another early playoff exit, do you point to this loss as the reason? I'd say no. Some fans say a game like this will affect the confidence of the young players. I don't think Neal, Splitter, and Leonard, will let this game haunt them down the road. I think Pop and the big 3's leadership won't allow that to happen.

jestersmash
Honestly it's kind of entertaining reading all of the commotion on the main board. You'd think we were just knocked out of the first round or missed the playoffs all together :lol As ChumpDumper would say, "spurfan entertains" :lol

Dex
02-22-2012, 01:38 AM

Bingo.

The Spurs just won out a solid sixth of the season.

Whether you lose by 1 or by 50, it still counts as just one loss. And now everyone wants to jump down Pop's throat.

When Tim played big minutes last night, it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he probably wouldn't play tonight. We knew this would be happening when the season started, so I don't know why everyone is acting all surprised. And when the other team shows up shooting 3s like gangbusters, he probably wouldn't have made much of a difference anyways.

When you play 66 games in 120 days, these nights are bound to happen. Nothing to do but pick up and move along.

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2012, 01:38 AM
48mins of the game, did the spurs even had a gameplan or setup any plays to execute?

fkn iso, chuck, iso, chuck rinse repeat

perfect practice game for the bench, but all were to busy looking after chasing individual stats...

ElNono
02-22-2012, 01:45 AM
I knew a guy in high school who signed up for Physics before his senior year, and then changed his mind. But the counsellor wouldn't let him get out of it. She insisted he'd be better off staying and making a mediocre grade. He told here that he wouldn't hand in a single assignment for the whole year, and she called his bluff. So he didn't. I asked him why and he said that if he made a 70 in the class, people would think he was a dumbass. But if he made a zero, people would assume it was some kind of mistake, or know that he really didn't try. (He had perfect grades otherwise.) It seemed to work for him, because he was happy as hell about it.

Tonight's loss was like that, to me. Honestly, I think I mind this loss less than any other I can remember. I just don't see how you can let it sting that badly.

The loss was expected when the lineups were announced. I didn't mind the loss one bit either.

It was as a severe beating as you're going to see in this league. For all the "best bench in the league" chit chat, well, there's some dose of reality.

What's the point of trying to spin some trees when you can see the forest (and call people "negative")?

It was an expected loss. I don't know if anybody thought it would be this sizeable. And hopefully it won't leave a mark with the players involved.

DrSteffo
02-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Pop has made some serious mistakes in the past but I don't have a problem with this particular decision at all. It actually made sense contrary to some other decisions he has made.

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2012, 01:47 AM
even though it was a loss, it shouldnt have been a stupid blowout loss

TDMVPDPOY
02-22-2012, 01:48 AM
Pop has made some serious mistakes in the past but I don't have a problem with this particular decicion at all. It actually made sense contrary to some other decisions he has made.

was pathetic display man, did he do any coachin this game? he didnt even went into any ass tonight for bonehead plays...

DrSteffo
02-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Yes the actual game was pathetic.

Spursfanfromafar
02-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Where John Hollinger gets it, but a bunch of whiners on Spurstalk dont -

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/37458/spurs-sacrifice-win-streak-for-a-little-rr

GSH
02-22-2012, 01:57 AM
What's the point of trying to spin some trees when you can see the forest (and call people "negative")?

It was an expected loss. I don't know if anybody thought it would be this sizeable. And hopefully it won't leave a mark with the players involved.

The first bit was just an attempt a humor. Maybe the outside chance that a few people would realize that it's not worth the meltdowns. I don't have any beef with you.

My biggest concern isn't what the game might do to some players, but how much it revealed about a couple of them. Specifically Blair and RJ. I mean, we already knew, but this really drove the point home. This is the load our other starters are carrying, night after night. And there's zero doubt now that we only have one backup PG, and he's injured.

It also underscores that we really only have two bigs - Tim and Tiago. Even with Tiago being 100% healthy, we just aren't going all the way without another player in the middle. If no trade/acquisition happens, I'm just going to lighten up and enjoy the regular season.

ElNono
02-22-2012, 02:46 AM
The first bit was just an attempt a humor. Maybe the outside chance that a few people would realize that it's not worth the meltdowns. I don't have any beef with you.

My biggest concern isn't what the game might do to some players, but how much it revealed about a couple of them. Specifically Blair and RJ. I mean, we already knew, but this really drove the point home. This is the load our other starters are carrying, night after night. And there's zero doubt now that we only have one backup PG, and he's injured.

It also underscores that we really only have two bigs - Tim and Tiago. Even with Tiago being 100% healthy, we just aren't going all the way without another player in the middle. If no trade/acquisition happens, I'm just going to lighten up and enjoy the regular season.

I'm enjoying it too. Might be all we have to enjoy this season :toast

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 02:59 AM
A good question might be if the Spurs get another early playoff exit, do you point to this loss as the reason? I'd say no. Some fans say a game like this will affect the confidence of the young players. I don't think Neal, Splitter, and Leonard, will let this game haunt them down the road. I think Pop and the big 3's leadership won't allow that to happen.

What kind of leadership allows your team to get blown out by 40? You want that type of leadership in the playoffs when the games are harder?

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 03:14 AM
What kind of leadership allows your team to get blown out by 40? You want that type of leadership in the playoffs when the games are harder?

The Spurs played a pick up game. There wasn't leadership on the court. The spurs didn't run any designed plays. Pop wasn't coaching. This was a failed attempt at humor by the spurs to go out there and play a school yard pickup game with each and every player on the court playing for themselves.

The Blazers were probably pissed that the Spurs chose to mail it in so they were on a mission to thoroughly embarrass them. The blazers had their starters on the court in the 4th quarter of a 30 point blow out.

intlspurshk
02-22-2012, 03:19 AM
It just revealed that SPURS have no tradeable assets. Without the best players, the rest restored to normal bench players only. So, no trade for the SPURS for this year.

jjktkk
02-22-2012, 03:19 AM

Do you honestly think a healthy big 3 and Tiago are gonna lose by 40 in a playoff game?

Paranoid Pop
02-22-2012, 03:23 AM
The Blazers were probably pissed that the Spurs chose to mail it in so they were on a mission to thoroughly embarrass them. The blazers had their starters on the court in the 4th quarter of a 30 point blow out.

And one of them got injured :lol.

twincam
02-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Finally, now everybody knows what a bangwagon fan is. They are all about Go Spurs Go when they win. Then they tune out the Spurs when they lose here and there.

so now you know.

True Spurs fans continue to follow and support.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 03:34 AM
Where John Hollinger gets it, but a bunch of whiners on Spurstalk dont -

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/37458/spurs-sacrifice-win-streak-for-a-little-rr

And to think Chumpdumper gave me shit for not remembering some scrub's name that plays for the bucks. Pop can't even remember the names of his own players he sees every day! :rollin

Go Cory Alexander! :lmao

Fuckin' dumbass.

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 03:39 AM
It just revealed that SPURS have no tradeable assets. Without the best players, the rest restored to normal bench players only. So, no trade for the SPURS for this year.

Yeah this was a bad idea because it destroyed any possible trades.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Yeah this was a bad idea because it destroyed any possible trades.

The game didn't destroy anything. Everybody knows this team doesn't have any tradeable assets.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Popovich has long been the league’s most devoted practitioner of this maneuver, selecting certain games to sit out his key players and keep them fresh for later in the season.

Or in other words, he's long been one of the only "practioners" of the "maneuver". Other coaches can only look on in awe and amazement at the results year after year.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 03:45 AM

The Blazers only outscored us 52-36 in the paint, compared to 56-30 by the Jazz.

Okay... seriously. The Spurs were playing without their FOUR best players. What did you think was going to happen? Imagine OKC playing without Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka. Or Miami playing without LeBron, Bosh, Wade, and Chalmers. Or, if you really want to have some fun, picture the Clippers without Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Caron Butler, and Mo Williams. Those would be some ugly-ass lineups.

You may not agree with Pop's decision to let a game go, in favor of getting some rest. But don't be so twisted about the outcome of the contest. It was never supposed to be a contest. And on top of everything else, the Blazers were coming off a humiliating night, and hitting everything.

Pop rested the guys he wanted to, gave Anderson and Dawson good looks, and made absolutely certain the loss didn't make any kind of statement. This was the Blazers last game before the ASB - it won't even give them any momentum by the time the break is over.

GSH in full damage control mode

ChumpDumper
02-22-2012, 06:01 AM
And to think Chumpdumper gave me shit for not remembering some scrub's name that plays for the bucks.You remember every instance of your shame, don't you?

ChumpDumper
02-22-2012, 06:02 AM
GSH in full damage control modeTJ in full bitch mode.

SpurNation
02-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks for posting GSH.

I didn't get to see the game. Knew some interesting developments would happen.

Agreed...seems like positives can be taken from this game.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-22-2012, 08:07 AM
TJ in full bitch mode.

Thought he was in bitch mode all the time, he's got a couple of butt buddies now though, like that Kewni dumbass, so he must feel the shit he's spewing makes a bit more sense I guess :lol

Russ
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
RY0jeTTfSns :flag::flag::flag:

Calispursfan11
02-22-2012, 08:50 PM

I agree with you on this one, buddy. You've shown some real basketball knowledge here :toast

GSH
02-23-2012, 12:58 AM

TJ - there's no damage control mode, because there's no damage. The first part of that post was a joke. Nobody cares of we had more offensive boards, or Kawhi got as many steals as the Blazer's team. I seriously hoped that maybe a couple of the meltdowns would figure out how ridiculous it was. Silly of me, I know.

There were people in the game thread last night calling for Spurs' players to hurt a Blazer player. Why... because our subs couldn't keep up with their starters? And people calling for Pop to be fined $100K, because he chose to rest two players? Really? I guess if Pop had played everyone last night, and lost by 2 points, there would be people calling for his resignation for keeping Bonner in too long. He's in charge of the team - he gets to make decisions like that.

The meltdowns are ridiculous. But damn, dude, you're actually angry at anyone who isn't as angry as you are.