PDA

View Full Version : Popovich should be fined by the NBA

tlongII
02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
We had little kids in Duncan jerseys at the game last night that were devastated that he didn't play. People pay big money to see the stars of this league and it is bullshit when they are sat down for no good reason. I say Popovich should be fined around $100K.

Kewni Leonard
02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
We had little kids in Duncan jerseys at the game last night that were devastated that he didn't play. People pay big money to see the stars of this league and it is bullshit when they are sat down for no good reason. I say Popovich should be fined around $100K.

Co-signed. But really, completely ridiculous. I'm appalled as a Spurs fan today.

DJB
02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks tlong. Your opinion matters. :tu

ChumpDumper
02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Of course you're appalled.

manufan10
02-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Then Rick Carlisle should be fine $600k for resting Dirk for 6 games.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Co-signed. That 100K should be then divvied up to every kid under the age 18 that attended the game.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Then Rick Carlisle should be fine $600k for resting Dirk for 6 games.No, he's a great coach.

thispego
02-22-2012, 01:18 PM
:cry

SA210
02-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Co-signed. That 100K should be then divvied up to every kid under the age 18 that attended the game.

cheguevara
02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I saw a lady crying in spurs gear.

El Che give :tu to the OP

ChumpDumper
02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Start an actual petition.

It's not difficult, but you won't do it. You're a bunch of vaginas.

silverblk mystix
02-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Start an actual petition.

It's not difficult, but you won't do it. You're a bunch of vaginas.

minor league expert vaginas?

or just vaginas in general?

lol

tlongII
02-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Nowitzki was tired/injured. Completely different circumstances.

tlongII
02-22-2012, 01:25 PM
There should be a league rule regarding this. A fine/suspension for Popovich is definitely in order here.

ChumpDumper
minor league expert vaginas?

or just vaginas in general?

lolYou won't actually do anything.

You never do.

BRs.Ganso
c'mon guys

was a fun game! :lol:rollin

SA210
OP is right. :tu

Juggity
02-22-2012, 01:29 PM

Tim and Tony were tired and earned a break after their excellent play as of late. And who would blame Pop for not taking the Blazers seriously enough to play his starters? Still not in playoff contention, and the spurs spanked them at full strength earlier this season. It was a good game to throw :lol.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Then Rick Carlisle should be fine $600k for resting Dirk for 6 games.

and it is bullshit when they are sat down for no good reason

And at least Carlsilse had a decent excuse, Dirk was lethargic and playing like your momma's ass.

Mr. Body
02-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Agreed, here. Fucking ridiculous. Fans pay very good money to watch games and the opposing coach just... what? Forfeits the game? Just lousy ridiculous and embarassing.

Brazil
:cry spurs didn't play their best players

silverblk mystix
No, he's a great coach.

Do you really get this butt-hurt whenever anyone criticizes Pop?

It's funny.

Like you got a huge old-man crush on Pop.

:lmao

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Tim and Tony were tired and earned a break after their excellent play as of late. And who would blame Pop for not taking the Blazers seriously enough to play his starters? Still not in playoff contention, and the spurs spanked them at full strength earlier this season. It was a good game to throw :lol.

Really? Tim and T ony were tired? And they told you this?

Reck
Yeah there should be a rule where you cant just sit a guy out for no apparent reason.

It just cheapens the game. As a matter of fact, if your player is not injured or has personal issues, the coach should not even be able to sit a guy out.

TJastal
c'mon guys

was a fun game! :lol:rollin

You call a 40 point blowout watching a team of 3rd stringers whose entire gameplan was obviously devised on a chalkboard less than 10 minutes before the game totally annhiliated is fun to watch?

ChumpDumper
Do you really get this butt-hurt whenever anyone criticizes Pop?

It's funny.

Like you got a huge old-man crush on Pop.

:lmaoNo. I enjoy the hypocrisy more than anything.

Sorry you need that explained to you.

spurfan entertains.

manufan10

And at least Carlsilse had a decent excuse, Dirk was lethargic and playing like your momma's ass.

Where's your inside information that Tony and Tim were not "tired?"

You can't say that Carlisle has an excuse, but then turn around and say that Pop can't use the same one.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
You call a 40 point blowout watching a team of 3rd stringers whose entire gameplan was obviously devised on a chalkboard less than 10 minutes before the game totally annhiliated is fun to watch?You watched the whole thing. You're having the time of your life bitching about it now.

SA210
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM

:rollin

Brazil
02-22-2012, 01:36 PM
you guys are a bunch of f*gg, complain to Stern for pulling out this crazy schedule.

All over the year there were tons of uninteresting games because players are tired or injured or not prepared (see Spurs / Dallas at the beginning of the year). Stern should be fined himself $1M.

BTW portland medic staff should be fined too for breaking so many legs of their own players every year.

Juggity

The same person who told me that Dirk was tired enough to sit. And Timmy earlier this season.

Y'all are losing sight of the end of the tunnel. Playoffs, not regular season.

Reck

:lol

This is a job. You dont get pay if you dont work do you?

They didn't earned shit. Its what they're supposed to do.

What's next, give the entire team a day off in the playoffs because they earned a playoff spot? :lmao

Your logic is mad retarded. :rollin

SA210
02-22-2012, 01:38 PM
What's next, give the entire team a day off in the playoffs because they earned a playoff spot? :lmao

Juggity
02-22-2012, 01:38 PM

Losing sight of the prize :lol

If resting causes our players to play better, I'm all for it.

ginobilized
02-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Portland got the win and you are complaining?
If they played the blazers might not have had such a fun night.

Beaverfuzz
02-22-2012, 01:39 PM
The weird thing is, why did Parker remain in his jersey after halftime (given that the score was out of hand by then? Most of the Blazer fans around me knew that Portland was hot behind the arc last night but they still didn't seem to be satisfied by the win (and the possible injury to Matthews).

SA210
02-22-2012, 01:40 PM

Because that worked already the last 3 years when the playoffs came around? :lol

tlongII
02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/401992_10150591707726137_20214931136_9031180_61352 9584_n.jpg

tlongII
02-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Little kids people. Little kids. smh.

manufan10
02-22-2012, 01:42 PM

Their boss gave them the day off.

SA210
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/401992_10150591707726137_20214931136_9031180_61352 9584_n.jpg

:lol Someone photoshop Tim, Tony, and Pop in the background chillin'

Juggity
Because that worked already the last 3 years when the playoffs came around? :lol

Injuries have plagued the spurs for sure the last few years.

Resting makes sense to me in principle, and I can't argue with the results so far this season where Tim came back from rest and put up his double double streak. I have no reason to believe it won't help our playoff performance in the end, even if minimally.

Reck
02-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Losing sight of the prize :lol

Because this strategy worked to perfection last year. :rolleyes

Honestly, this is a pussy move. Babying players because you fear they might crumble at some point. That's some pussy maneuvering.

I get you're trying to spot for Pop but he ain't got no excuse for this. he shit the bed.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
you guys are a bunch of f*gg, complain to Stern for pulling out this crazy schedule.

All over the year there were tons of uninteresting games because players are tired or injured or not prepared (see Spurs / Dallas at the beginning of the year). Stern should be fined himself $1M.

BTW portland medic staff should be fined too for breaking so many legs of their own players every year.

Well , it was the owners that played hardball with the players that forced this lock out in the first place. And if your going to come down hard on Stern, then you'd better be prepared to go after Peter Holt as well.

DesignatedT
02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
They should know not to buy tickets to a game where the spurs are on their 8th road game and on a b2b in portland. The writing was on the wall when looking at the schedule before the season even started. What dumbfucks for buying tickets to that game.

Duncan2177
02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Pops job is to win games and championships. not to cater to some random fans. Popovich's Spurs have always used the regular season as a springboard for the postseason. Whether it's curbing minutes or games like yesterday... he's looking at the big picture and plus he's not a prisoner of the moment...realizes one game doesn't make a season...unless its a closeout gm in the playoffs. Get over it

DisAsTerBot
02-22-2012, 01:51 PM

lol it's called a salary. One day when you don't work at taco cabana anymore, you'll hopefully learn what a salary is.

DisAsTerBot
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
also, they would just put them on the IR, then take em off if they needed to sit a player. NO different then how it goes now

spurtech09
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
We had little kids in Duncan jerseys at the game last night that were devastated that he didn't play. People pay big money to see the stars of this league and it is bullshit when they are sat down for no good reason. I say Popovich should be fined around $100K.Noooooo....what a shame :lol....I think they were devastated cause the little ones haven't had a chance to see Oden play a full season....where is that dude anyways?Give the dude the mins:rollin..poor guy

Reck
02-22-2012, 01:54 PM
They should know not to buy tickets to a game where the spurs are on their 8th road game and on a b2b in portland. The writing was on the wall when looking at the schedule before the season even started. What dumbfucks for buying tickets to that game.

Do you know how buying tickets work genius?

People buy tickets months before the actual game. I wonder where your thinking is stemming from? Were they supposed to know that Pop would sit his most relevant players, that Manu would get injured twice and that their center would get injured along with him?

Yeah I see where the fans thought of all of this before buying a ticket 3-4 months before the game. :lol

Some people on this board post some shit without even thinking about it I swear.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Pops job is to win games and championships. not to cater to some random fans. Popovich's Spurs have always used the regular season as a springboard for the postseason. Whether it's curbing minutes or games like yesterday... he's looking at the big picture and plus he's not a prisoner of the moment...realizes one game doesn't make a season...unless its a closeout gm in the playoffs. Get over it

Then why did Duncan play 41 minutes vs the Clips and 38 vs the Jazz? I mean you can't have it both ways. So which is it? Do you rest the players or do you play to win? Don't half-ass it.

manufan10
02-22-2012, 01:57 PM

People buy tickets months before the actual game. I wonder where your thinking is stemming from? Were they supposed to know that Pop would sit his most relevant players, that Manu would get injured twice and that their center would get injured along with him?

Yeah I see where the fans thought of all of this before buying a ticket 3-4 months before the game. :lol

Some people on this board post some shit without even thinking about it I swear.

The Feb. 21 game in Portland screams surrender. It's a back-to-back that requires quite a bit of extra travel. Especially with the All-Star Weekend around the corner, Pop will be tempted to send the Big Three from Salt Lake City to Denver and skip that Portland game.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5531289#post5531289

Yup, it's amazing. Some people actually do look ahead several months in advance. Imagine that.

dbestpro
02-22-2012, 01:59 PM
So you go to a concert expecting to see a top ten band. You show up, but the lead singer,bass player, and guitarist are all replaced by backups because the leads have been on the road for a while. The show occurred so they say no refunds.

Think you wouldn't want your money back?

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Yup, it's amazing. Some people actually do look ahead several months in advance. Imagine that.

Since when do Portland fans seek out Timvp's advice on when they should and shouldn't buy tickets to a blazers/spurs game?

Reck
02-22-2012, 02:02 PM

Your point?

Because all the Spurs fan all around the United States come here just to look at some guy's thoughts?

Stop sucking dick and start forming your own thoughts around here.

manufan10
02-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Since when do Portland fans seek out Timvp's advice on when they should and shouldn't buy tickets to a blazers/spurs game?

You need to go back and read the quotes. Then you might understand the point of me quoting Timvp's post.

Reck
02-22-2012, 02:05 PM

Word. Gotta love Spurstalk members. Timvp's posts here most be gospel. lol

No disrecpect to Timvp but really? :lol

manufan10
02-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Your point?

Because all the Spurs fan all around the United States come here just to look at some guy's thoughts?

Stop sucking dick and start forming your own thoughts around here.

Reading comprehension. It's not that they should be reading Timvp's post, but that your claim that:

where the fans thought of all of this before buying a ticket 3-4 months before the game

So yes, fans do think about this before the season started. It's not like this is a new concept that Pop has just started using.

2centsworth
02-22-2012, 02:06 PM
The only people who could have a gripe are the ones that bought tickets and tv sponsors.
Everyone else can change the channel.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 02:13 PM
You need to go back and read the quotes. Then you might understand the point of me quoting Timvp's post.

Let me reword it. Why the hell would any fan of any team who actually has a life outside of basketball even think of looking months down the line and then try to hypothesize whether or not Pop is going to pull the shenanigans card and rest all his starters? He's the only coach in the league that does it. How many b2b's have their been so far and how many times did pop pull his starters? And somehow its the fans fault for not preparing appropriately. That's an exercise in futility.

Nbatv obviously missed the boat.

CGD
02-22-2012, 02:16 PM
There should be a league rule regarding this. A fine/suspension for Popovich is definitely in order here.

Not sure if a fine is in order, but I do think the league should look at this issue. Has less teeth in a lockout season, but as a consumer I'd be annoyed at having paid regular prices with certain reasonable expectations in mind. Maybe each team should contribute to an anuual fund which allows teams to dip into into it to refund part of ticket prices or offer discounts for future games where non-injured players are rested.

manufan10
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Let me reword it. Why the hell would any fan of any team who actually has a life outside of basketball even think of looking months down the line and then try to hypothesize whether or not Pop is going to pull the shenanigans card and rest all his starters? He's the only coach in the league that does it. How many b2b's have their been so far and how many times did pop pull his starters? And somehow its the fans fault for not preparing appropriately. That's an exercise in futility.

Why is everyone acting like this is some new concept that Pop just pulled out of nowhere? It isn't new, and it's to be expected at certain points throughout the season.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 02:21 PM

+1

Funny how ppl around here expect the average nba fan to have intimate knowledge of Pop's menstrual cycles when even the analysts and experts over @ nbatv obviously had no idea.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Why is everyone acting like this is some new concept that Pop just pulled out of nowhere? It isn't new, and it's to be expected at certain points throughout the season.

Don't make it about the fan. If I wanted to see the D-league Spurs, i'd take a trip to Austin.

DesignatedT
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM

If you follow the Spurs then yes you should know better. timvp clearly knew before the season that the Portland game being the 8th road game in a row and a b2b that it was a very likely chance that Pop would not play his guys. He posted this before the season tipped off. Check his navigating route 66 thread.

and lol people buying tickets 4 months before the game, unless your a season ticket holder that isn't necessarily true either.

tbh I was just joking around but in all seriousness you should know better.

DisAsTerBot
02-22-2012, 02:26 PM
lol same fans who bitch when manu played in the last game of the season last year.

you dont make the decisions. neal with it.

Cry Havoc
02-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Lots of QQ in this thread.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
If you follow the Spurs then yes you should know better. timvp clearly knew before the season that the Portland game being the 8th road game in a row and a b2b that it was a very likely chance that Pop would not play his guys. He posted this before the season tipped off. Check his navigating route 66 thread.

and lol people buying tickets 4 months before the game, unless your a season ticket holder that isn't necessarily true either.

That makes Timvp 1 for 9 so far. How prophetic.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 02:34 PM

So should nbatv have known better? Since their job is to follow every team and try to pick out the best games to broadcast?

manufan10
02-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Don't make it about the fan. If I wanted to see the D-league Spurs, i'd take a trip to Austin.

There's no guarantee when you buy tickets that you get to see your favorite player play. You know the risks before you purchase the tickets.

temujin
02-22-2012, 02:38 PM
There's no guarantee when you buy tickets that you get to see your favorite player play. You know the risks before you purchase the tickets.

This.

temujin
02-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Popovich.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 02:42 PM

If you were at the gate purchasing tickets before the game, you wouldn't know because pop didn't let the cat out of the bag til a half hour before tip-off. Imagine the surprise.

Blake
02-22-2012, 02:44 PM

If they played one minute each, would that have been acceptable for you?

manufan10
02-22-2012, 02:44 PM
If you were at the gate purchasing tickets before the game, you wouldn't know because pop didn't let the cat out of the bag til a half hour before tip-off.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 02:46 PM

If they're healthy, the odds are stacked heavily in my favor.

Reck
02-22-2012, 02:50 PM

To injury, yes.

You expect to see your favorite player play otherwise.

That is why thousands upon thousands of dollars go to advertising this on TV and Bilboards.

You dont make extra little things like gamecards with your favorite players in it if you dont intent to play them. That would be false advertisement.

Only way a player should not play is if injured, has personal issues at home and so forth. Making a leisure decision by your coach to not play is not among them. This does not fall into the "not guarantee" clause you're talking about.

SA210
02-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Seriously? :lol

Just because people know that Pop is going to do something...it doesn't make that decision right. Still the wrong move.

Bruno
02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
So Popovich should be fined for trying to protect the health of his players?

WoW.

manufan10
02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
To injury, yes.

That is why thousands upon thousands of dollars go to advertising this on TV and Bilboards.

You dont make extra little things like gamecards with your favorite players in it if you dont intent to play them. That would be false advertisement.

Only way a player should not play is if injured, has personal issues at home and so forth. Making a leisure decision by your coach to not play is not among them. This does not fall into the "not guarantee" clause you're talking about.

Says who? You?

PDXSpursFan
02-22-2012, 02:58 PM
I was at the game. My only chance to see the Spurs live this year . Thanks Pop for ruining it :bang

manufan10
02-22-2012, 02:58 PM
If they're healthy, the odds are stacked heavily in my favor.

But you still are taking a chance, whether it's in your favor or not.

Keepin' it real
02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
New rule:

If Pop doesn't play one or more of the big three even though they're healthy, then all the fellas who paid $100+ for a lower-level seat get a date with a Silver Dancer. I choose her:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teamsites/release/spurs/sites/spurs/files/michelle_full.gif

Reck
02-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Says who? You?

No, common sense.

If you have any other hidden explanation as to why teams market their product/team through players then let us know it.

Seems to me it is to attract people. But hey lets hear your logic on this matter.

manufan10
02-22-2012, 03:01 PM
New rule:

If Pop doesn't play one or more of the big three even though they're healthy, and I paid $100+ for a lower-level seat, then I get a date with a Silver Dancer. I choose her:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teamsites/release/spurs/sites/spurs/files/michelle_full.gif

A lot more people might be on board with Pop resting the Big 3 then.. :lol

manufan10
02-22-2012, 03:01 PM
No, common sense.

If you have any other hidden explanation as to why teams market their product/team through players then let us know it.

Seems to me it is to attract people. But hey lets hear your logic on this matter.

That's the PR departments job, not the coach's.

Brazil
02-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Well , it was the owners that played hardball with the players that forced this lock out in the first place. And if your going to come down hard on Stern, then you'd better be prepared to go after Peter Holt as well.

what the point ? I have no issue to go hard on holt either... what is the relation between that and Pop ?

Brazil
02-22-2012, 03:09 PM

WoW.

He is a blazers fan, he doesn't care about players health

Reck
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
That's the PR departments job, not the coach's.

Doesn't matter whose job it is. The fact still remains it is done to get people to come to the arena.

02-22-2012, 03:13 PM
spur fans living in other cities rarely get to see the spurs play in person, maybe once or twice a year if they are lucky a game falls on a weekend or relatively non busy week.

imagine if you meticulously planned going your annual spurs game, slowly saved up the money, made your into the arena only to see a healthy duncan and parker sit on the bench and watch the home team tear a new asshole in the spurs. it would feel pretty bad.

Dex
02-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Despite what David Stern and ESPN tries to tell you, every coach and team only cares about one thing: winning a championship. And they will do whatever they feel is necessary to achieve that goal.

They are not obligated one bit to "entertain", and couldn't care less if people get what they paid for. Sure they want butts in seats....but only because it gives them an edge in homecourt advantage.

DesignatedT
02-22-2012, 03:16 PM
So should nbatv have known better? Since their job is to follow every team and try to pick out the best games to broadcast?

Yes. Although the options were pretty limited last night seeing the Spurs game was the only game that tipped off after 7pm CT. Not sure how that works.

Blake
02-22-2012, 03:17 PM
To injury, yes.

If they played one minute each, would that have been acceptable for you?

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 03:21 PM
But you still are taking a chance, whether it's in your favor or not.

Yes even if its a 2% chance, there always that risk.

Lets go at it from a different angle. My dad works 40 hours/week. It takes him nearly 40 minutes to get to work one way. Do you know what my dad's boss would say if he said he was too tired to come into work today? He would probably be out looking for another job. Believe it or not, nba players have a job to do and they get paid a handsome sum of money to work roughly 12 hours a week. Their day consists of lounging around in the lockeroom all day listening to tunes while they stretch, playing video games and watching TV which takes them right up until game time. Then its go time for 2 and a half hours. Are you telling me for 10 million dollars, you can't give the team a solid 10 to 12 hours a week? Hell, I work out for nearly 2 hours a day without days off. I must be some sort of super hero.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 03:23 PM
I was at the game. My only chance to see the Spurs live this year . Thanks Pop for ruining it :bang

According to Manufan10, its your own fault,.

manufan10
02-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Yes even if its a 2% chance, there always that risk.

Lets go at it from a different angle. My dad works 40 hours/week. It takes him nearly 40 minutes to get to work one way. Do you know what my dad's boss would say if he said he was too tired to come into work today? He would probably be out looking for another job. Believe it or not, nba players have a job to do and they get paid a handsome sum of money to work roughly 12 hours a week. Their day consists of lounging around in the lockeroom all day listening to tunes while they stretch, playing video games and watching TV which takes them right up until game time. Then its go time for 2 and a half hours. Are you telling me for 10 million dollars, you can't give the team a solid 10 to 12 hours a week? Hell, I work out for nearly 2 hours a day without days off. I must be some sort of super hero.

Their boss gave them the day off. It was his idea.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 03:25 PM
what the point ? I have no issue to go hard on holt either... what is the relation between that and Pop ?

They play ball for the same organization.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 03:27 PM

A 12 hour work week hardly seems like work at all.

TJastal
02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
According to Manufan10, its your own fault,.

Funny that his sig reads "In Pop We Trust" .. wonder how much longer that'll stick... lol

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
A lot of pussies in this thread, mad about the fact that two players sat out one game in a very compressed season.

:cry But I wanted the regular season win streak to continue!:cry

Keepin' it real

WoW.

That completely misses the point. We're not all looking at this from the same perspective. Based on your comment, you're looking at this issue from the same perspective as many fans on this forum -- a.k.a. not paying customers.

But some of us (who actually go to the games) are looking at this from the perspective of paying customers. You know, the people without whom the NBA would not exist.

I imagine that 90+ percent of fans, if they paid $200-400 for 2 lower-level tickets to a Spurs game, but the day of the game, they found out that two of the Big 3 were DNP-CD, they'd be PISSED.

I've attended 10-15 Spurs games each of the past three seasons, and luckily, that only happened once. And guess what, I WAS PISSED.

As I said earlier, if Pop must do that, fine, but gimme my money back or give me a date with:

Reck
Despite what David Stern and ESPN tries to tell you, every coach and team only cares about one thing: winning a championship. And they will do whatever they feel is necessary to achieve that goal.

They are not obligated one bit to "entertain", and could care less if people get what they paid for. Sure they want butts in seats....but only because it gives them an edge in homecourt advantage.

This is what you get when misinformed.

While I'll agree wih you to some extent etertartaining is not one of the coach's job it is however their job to win games. It just so happens that winning a game technically takes care of the "entertaining" part. As long as you're a Spurs fan anyway.

Let me tell you, they do care about the fans. Saying they dont is stupid and bigoted. I want to see the day when a coach says he doesn't care what the fans want and still expect them to fill the arena.

The fans aren't only there to give the team homecourt advantage. They're there to A, support their team. B, see their favorite players and C, to see them being competitive and be entertained. (even in a loss) And D, to see them win.

manufan10
A 12 hour work week hardly seems like work at all.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Hell, I work out for nearly 2 hours a day without days off. I must be some sort of super hero.

Suckin dick and taking it in the ass is hardly a work out.

JR3
02-22-2012, 03:37 PM
I know pop does this stuff every season. I try not to buy tickets for games that are the second of a back to back. But I went ahead and crossed my fingers for the Jazz game in April.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Suckin dick and taking it in the ass is hardly a work out.

Is that your best shot at a heckler's retort or are you as thick as a bull's walt?

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Fans have every right to be upset. I won't deny them their anger over not getting to see their favorite players play. Unfortunately the system is such that the best they can do is vote with their future dollars.

However I can't think of a worse possible idea than opening up the can of worms of fines and disciplinary measures for teams sitting players. For starters most coaches will find a way around it. All of a sudden seasoned pros like Tim will get suspended for "missing a team meeting" or the like. Think resting starters hurts the integrity of the game? You'll suddenly have teams hurting the integrity of the game AND thumbing their nose at league policy.

What happens if they somehow could enforce that policy and make it that guys have to get their asses out there if their only problem is that they're kinda tired and someone gets injured? Those fans that showed up that night got to see their favorite player, how about the guys that bought tickets to see that guy next month? How about all the tickets that go unsold down the line because a player is gone for 10 games instead of 1? Is the league going to compensate a team in that situation?

It's frustrating for a fan. I get that. I guarantee the league hates seeing it happen too. Solving it's too big of a nightmare to ponder though.

Blake
02-22-2012, 03:49 PM
That completely misses the point. We're not all looking at this from the same perspective. Based on your comment, you're looking at this issue from the same perspective as many fans on this forum -- a.k.a. not paying customers.

But some of us (who actually go to the games) are looking at this from the perspective of paying customers. You know, the people without whom the NBA would not exist.

I imagine that 90+ percent of fans, if they paid $200-400 for 2 lower-level tickets to a Spurs game, but the day of the game, they found out that two of the Big 3 were DNP-CD, they'd be PISSED.

I've attended 10-15 Spurs games each of the past three seasons, and luckily, that only happened once. And guess what, I WAS PISSED.

As I said earlier, if Pop must do that, fine, but gimme my money back or give me a date with:

Tough shit

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Is that your best shot at a heckler's retort or are you as thick as a bull's walt?

You would know a little something about thickness wouldn't you Czar? :lol

It's all I needed to trash a bitch like you for complaining about how much effort you believe Spurs players should show for you.

Keepin' it real
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Tough shit

Gee thanks. :rolleyes

Brazil
02-22-2012, 03:55 PM
They play ball for the same organization.

OP is about fining Pop for not playing Tim and Tony. I'm saying fine stern or whoever is responsible for this craziness of 66 compressed games with btobtob instead and you're saying they play ball for the same organization. Focus a little.

Blake
02-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Gee thanks. :rolleyes

Sorry you're not rich enough to buy your own team in order to dictate minutes played.

phxspurfan
02-22-2012, 04:08 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/419098_10150672772991348_507101347_11630841_561205 295_n.jpg

If I went to this game and Kobe didn't play, I wouldn't be elated, but I wouldn't be devastated. And look at the price of our tickets (this is per ticket, on the very top row of the stadium).

Keepin' it real
02-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Sorry you're not rich enough to buy your own team in order to dictate minutes played.

Yet another miscreant to add to my ignore list. Thanks. :toast

Blake
02-22-2012, 04:09 PM
At least you got some gorilla bucks out of it

Dex
02-22-2012, 04:10 PM
:cry :cry :cry

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Fans have every right to be upset. I won't deny them their anger over not getting to see their favorite players play. Unfortunately the system is such that the best they can do is vote with their future dollars.

However I can't think of a worse possible idea than opening up the can of worms of fines and disciplinary measures for teams sitting players. For starters most coaches will find a way around it. All of a sudden seasoned pros like Tim will get suspended for "missing a team meeting" or the like. Think resting starters hurts the integrity of the game? You'll suddenly have teams hurting the integrity of the game AND thumbing their nose at league policy.

What happens if they somehow could enforce that policy and make it that guys have to get their asses out there if their only problem is that they're kinda tired and someone gets injured? Those fans that showed up that night got to see their favorite player, how about the guys that bought tickets to see that guy next month? How about all the tickets that go unsold down the line because a player is gone for 10 games instead of 1? Is the league going to compensate a team in that situation?

It's frustrating for a fan. I get that. I guarantee the league hates seeing it happen too. Solving it's too big of a nightmare to ponder though.

Most teams don't do it. It's better to nip it in the bud before more coaches/teams start doing it.

Blake
02-22-2012, 04:14 PM

Yet another butthurt poster letting me know I'm going to be ignored.

This constantly happens to me. Somebody should be fined!

Dex
02-22-2012, 04:16 PM
This is what you get when misinformed.

While I'll agree wih you to some extent etertartaining is not one of the coach's job it is however their job to win games. It just so happens that winning a game technically takes care of the "entertaining" part. As long as you're a Spurs fan anyway.

Let me tell you, they do care about the fans. Saying they dont is stupid and bigoted. I want to see the day when a coach says he doesn't care what the fans want and still expect them to fill the arena.

The fans aren't only there to give the team homecourt advantage. They're there to A, support their team. B, see their favorite players and C, to see them being competitive and be entertained. (even in a loss) And D, to see them win.

Everyone knows that the Spurs aren't just trying to "win games" or "make the postseason". Their goal is the championship, and it has been since 99. Championships aren't won in the regular season, and no one was bitching during the last 4 parades in San Antonio.

Do the coaches care about the fans? Sure.

Do they care if the fans feel slighted because they didn't get to see who they wanted to see? No way in hell.

It's about seeing the bigger picture, not the 100-400 dollars you spent on tickets. One of the coach's jobs is to manage minutes, and they'll do it as they see fit.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 04:17 PM
OP is about fining Pop for not playing Tim and Tony. I'm saying fine stern or whoever is responsible for this craziness of 66 compressed games with btobtob instead and you're saying they play ball for the same organization. Focus a little.

I merely siad that if your going to fine Stern, then you should be fining Holt as well. He is as much to blame for the compressed schedule as is Stern if not more. I never once said Pop should be fined for holding players out. Such a course of action would never go through because it isn't a league issue, it is a team issue.

I have a moral and ethical issue with holding players out of meaningful games without injury. If you know you have players that need rest, then you don't play them for 41 minutes followed by 38. This is common sense. Holding them out of games to minimize injury risk in the dead heat of a play-off race in the middle of season with 6 days off right around the bend is completely bogus.

DisAsTerBot
02-22-2012, 04:18 PM

lol 86 posts and already has an ignore list

DisAsTerBot
02-22-2012, 04:19 PM
I want to see the day when a coach says he doesn't care what the fans want and still expect them to fill the arena.

im pretty sure pop has said that exact thing many times

Cry Havoc
02-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Most teams don't do it. It's better to nip it in the bud before more coaches/teams start doing it.

Every team does it. Are you kidding? And even if they didn't, most teams don't have an aging big who's a top 10 player in NBA history and a bona fide first ballot unanimous HOF lock who can still produce enough to win games by himself on some nights.

But yeah, let's risk injury to Tim when we're still 2 games ahead of the Mavs for the 2 seed. Great plan.

Hoops Czar
02-22-2012, 04:24 PM
You would know a little something about thickness wouldn't you Czar? :lol

It's all I needed to trash a bitch like you for complaining about how much effort you believe Spurs players should show for you.

A sel centered person like yourself has it ass-backwards. If it weren't for the fans, the game wouldn't exist. Who the hell do you think pays the bills to keep those arena's running? Who buys the merchandise to help pay for those inflated player's contract's?

Do yourself a favor and think before you post.

Bruno
02-22-2012, 04:25 PM

Of course, they'd pissed. So would I, if I were in this situation.

Saying that, you had to look at the bigger picture. Let's say Tim and Tony plays heavy minutes against Blazers. As a result, they got tired or injured down the road. The fan who pay $200-$400 for this down the road game will be equally pissed to see a crappy Tim/Tony or no Tim/Tony.

Professional basketball teams around the world plays about two 40-minutes games per week. NBA teams are playing this season about four 48-minutes games per week. With that crazy amount of minutes played, some fans will be screwed and see crap games. That's unavoidable.

therealtruth
02-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Phil Jackson won 11 titles and he is against the idea of resting players in the regular season. How many championships do you think he missed by not resting his players?

Keepin' it real
02-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Of course, they'd pissed. So would I, if I were in this situation.

Saying that, you had to look at the bigger picture. Let's say Tim and Tony plays heavy minutes against Blazers. As a result, they got tired or injured down the road. The fan who pay $200-$400 for this down the road game will be equally pissed to see a crappy Tim/Tony or no Tim/Tony.

Professional basketball teams around the world plays about two 40-minutes games per weak. NBA teams are playing this season about four 48-minutes games per weak. With that crazy amount of minutes played, some fans will be screwed and see crap games. That's unavoidable.

You make a valid point ... I respect your opinion. Thanks.

hater
02-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Saying that, you had to look at the bigger picture. Let's say Tim and Tony plays heavy minutes against Blazers. As a result, they got tired or injured down the road.

baloney. You can get injured anytime. Resting players already backfired on Pop last year. He rested Manu 1 or 2 games, then inserted a "fresh" Manu for last game vs. Phoenix and boom. Oops.

I agree you can rest players, but what is wrong with playing them 10-20 minutes.

Professional basketball teams around the world plays about two 40-minutes games per weak. NBA teams are playing this season about four 48-minutes games per weak. With that crazy amount of minutes played, some fans will be screwed and see crap games. That's unavoidable.

Agree. NBA has too many games and this season is 10x worse with shortened season. That is why players are dropping like flies to injuries this year.

Keepin' it real
02-22-2012, 04:35 PM
lol 86 posts and already has an ignore list

A tool of survival given the many foul-mouthed, immature people around here. They pushed me over the edge once (before I knew about the ignore list), but never again. :hat

Proxy
02-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Bitch thread, tbh

biskvito
02-22-2012, 05:03 PM
all this crying reminds me of this:
http://robbieandbobby.com/shelf-life/

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
LOL, it's not like every NBA analyst since the season started hadn't been talking about teams having to find rest for their players and throw games. It's hilarious seeing all the whining from idiots who think a game in February means shit compared to the health of the team.

baseline bum
02-22-2012, 05:28 PM
I agree you can rest players, but what is wrong with playing them 10-20 minutes.

I still don't get this complaint. Do you think the Spurs can win a road game in Portland on the second night of a B2B with Bonner and Blair taking all but 15 of Duncan's minutes and Corey Jospeh taking all but 20 of Parker's? They would have still gotten slaughtered, maybe just by 25 instead of 40.

DesignatedT
02-22-2012, 05:30 PM
I still don't get this complaint. Do you think the Spurs can win a road game in Portland on the second night of a B2B with Bonner and Blair taking all but 15 of Duncan's minutes and Corey Jospeh taking all but 20 of Parker's? They would have still gotten slaughtered, maybe just by 25 instead of 40.

but at least the fans get to see them.

Blake
02-22-2012, 06:00 PM
A tool of survival given the many foul-mouthed, immature people around here. They pushed me over the edge once (before I knew about the ignore list), but never again. :hat

Lol tool of survival

ChumpDumper
02-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Since when do Portland fans seek out Timvp's advice on when they should and shouldn't buy tickets to a blazers/spurs game?Would have been prudent tbh.

Keepin' it real
02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
I was happy to see this as a topic on PTI and Around the Horn today. In summary, in case you missed it, no it's not pop's job to worry about fans getting to see star players. His job is to win titles. BUT, it should be the league's responsibility to take a close look at this on behalf of the fans. Kornheiser even suggested a $500k fine be imposed on pop.

cherylsteele
02-22-2012, 06:11 PM
The Blazers just blew out the Spurs by 40 points and Tlong starts a thread complaining?:rollin

jjktkk

You answered your own question.

Agree. NBA has too many games and this season is 10x worse with shortened season. That is why players are dropping like flies to injuries this year.

baseline bum
I was happy to see this as a topic on PTI and Around the Horn today. In summary, in case you missed it, no it's not pop's job to worry about fans getting to see star players. His job is to win titles. BUT, it should be the league's responsibility to take a close look at this on behalf of the fans. Kornheiser even suggested a $500k fine be imposed on pop.

All that would do is bring back the old practice of making up fake injuries for your player and putting him on IR.

Morg1411
02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
I think Tlong should be fined every time he starts one of these dumb-ass threads.

Spurs and Mavs fan
02-22-2012, 06:23 PM
This is one of the most nonsensical threads I have ever read.

A coach has a right to sit or play whomever he likes. Kobe Bryant can be benched even if there are 16,000 fans at Staples wearing #24 jerseys. Erik Spoelstra can bench Wade, James, and Bosh if he wants to.

DesignatedT
02-22-2012, 06:28 PM
All that would do is bring back the old practice of making up fake injuries for your player and putting him on IR.

Exactly. I don't see how they can regulate that anyway. All Pop would have to do is dress Duncan and give him a DNP-CD? What can they do about that?

JustinJDW
02-22-2012, 06:29 PM
You can't possibly be that short sighted.

Do you not understand that being completely healthy and fresh for the Playoffs is far more important than regular season wins in February?

Do you not understand that its Pop's job to improve and prepare his team as much as possible to win a Championship, and not to please fans in Portland.

Do you not understand this? This isn't complicated.

Being healthy in the Playoffs is more important.

I'll say it again.

Being healthy in the Playoffs is more important.

Why is it more important you ask? Because its nearly impossible to win a Championship when you're beat tired from trying to stat pad and win meaningless games in February.

Tim and Tony have been going balls to the wall this Rodeo Road Trip, and it has payed off with great road wins and building chemistry and momentum. Now being near the All-Star break, we can afford to rest our players. Why? Because being healthy in the Playoffs is more important.

You cry and say "What about the fans?" That's not Pop's concern. Not one bit. It literally isn't a priority of his in any way shape or form. So that argument is out the window.

Do you know what is Pop's priority? Being healthy in the Playoffs. Why? Because its important. Being healthy for the Playoffs is more important than winning regular season games in February.

I'll say it again, being healthy for the Playoffs is more important than winning regular season games in February.

I feel like I'm saying the same stuff over and over again. Oh wait, that's because I am.

So what have we concluded today?

Being healthy for the Playoffs is important.

Things like winning in February and Portland aren't.

/thread

Mal
02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Way too many games. And this b2b2b are beyond ridiculous. There was lockout, everybody lost their money. You cant earn it back, by pushing players beyond limits.

And 100k fine for coach, who wont play their best players :lmao

Dex
02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
The great irony about this thread is this wasn't even a home game, and people are bitching.

You think Pop really cares what Portland fans (and maybe a few Portland Spurs fans) think about his lineups?

rasho8
02-22-2012, 07:01 PM

I'm a season ticket holder and I don't give 2 shits if pop rests players. I'm glad he has a good enough record to do it.

So don't speak for us paying fans who are multiple year season ticket holders. I got a line of pins on my jerseys. What do you have?

Bruno
02-22-2012, 07:02 PM
And BTW, Pop being cautious with players when they are tired or injured is a big reason why Spurs' fans can still seeing enjoy Duncan play at a good level.

Speaking of Portland, I find the parallel between Duncan and Brandon Roy crazy:
April 11th, 2000: Duncan tore his meniscus. Spurs/Pop take the careful road and shut him down for the rest of the season while Spurs were the defending champion.
April 11th, 2010: Roy tore his meniscus. Blazers rush him after a knee surgery to have him playing the end of the playoffs.

Roy is medically retired, Duncan is still playing 12 years after this injury...

And the same is true with Parker and Ginobili.
Parker has sprained his right ankle a dozen of times. Him being still in his prime despite a big mileage has surely a lot to do with Spurs being careful with these injuries.
Pop has done a tremendous job over the years at limiting Ginobili's minutes. He's an all star player who has never played 32mpg during a season. That's crazy.

While there are some aspect of Pop that I don't like, his way to manage players health is remarkable. He is the best NBA coach in that area and it's not even close.

manufan10
02-22-2012, 07:13 PM

So then by Kornheiser's logic Rick Carlisle should be fined $3 million for not playing his best player.

$500k times the 6 games that Dirk missed = $3 million.

I agree with others saying that there is no way the NBA can enforce this. If they try, coaches will just find a way around it.

Keepin' it real
02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm a season ticket holder and I don't give 2 shits if pop rests players. I'm glad he has a good enough record to do it.

So don't speak for us paying fans who are multiple year season ticket holders. I got a line of pins on my jerseys. What do you have?

Clearly I can't speak on behalf of ALL paying customers, so from now on, when I argue on behalf of paying customers, know that in my mind I'm excluding you.

Mel_13
02-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Clearly I can't speak on behalf of ALL paying customers, so from now on, when I argue on behalf of paying customers, know that in my mind I'm excluding you.

Exclude this season ticket holder as well.

Or maybe, just keep it real and speak for yourself.

Brazil
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
And BTW, Pop being cautious with players when they are tired or injured is a big reason why Spurs' fans can still seeing enjoy Duncan play at a good level.

April 11th, 2000: Duncan tore his meniscus. Spurs/Pop take the careful road and shut him down for the rest of the season while Spurs were the defending champion.
April 11th, 2010: Roy tore his meniscus. Blazers rush him after a knee surgery to have him playing the end of the playoffs.

Parker has sprained his right ankle a dozen of times. Him being still in his prime despite a big mileage has surely a lot to do with Spurs being careful with these injuries.
Pop has done a tremendous job over the years at limiting Ginobili's minutes. He's an all star player who has never played 32mpg during a season. That's crazy.

While there are some aspect of Pop that I don't like, his way to manage players health is remarkable. He is the best NBA coach in that area and it's not even close.

Now imagine Manu playing for the Blazers, it would have been worst than Oden :lol

Mel_13
02-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Bottom line, he didn't violate any rules. No basis for a fine.

People can argue should have/shouldn't have til Pop retires, but he didn't do anything that can be addressed with a fine.

pgardn
02-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Just read the first two pages and stopped.

Sorry to the folks who purchased tickets but...

You should always realize this is a possibility. Gregg Popovich is not a coach who cares about your entertainment. He is payed to get this team to the playoffs and then advance. Thats it. If you have followed the Spurs closely you should have realized this. If you have been to this board you would have read this.

mingus
02-22-2012, 07:37 PM
All Spurs fans in attendance should be able to vote for who gets to play and for however many minutes. Each fan should be given some kind of electronic device that you can use to submit your vote.

TMTTRIO
02-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Manu's just made out of glass so even if Pop rested him the last game of the season he would've come up with some kind of new injury in the playoffs. I'm surprised he hasn't already gone into an early retirement with all the NBA/international basketball he's been playing. I'm not as concerned about Timmy or Tony.

benefactor
02-22-2012, 07:46 PM
The butthurt in this forum is reaching a palatable level.

ploto
02-22-2012, 07:52 PM
The biggest hypocrisy is "resting" Tony when he is getting ready to go participate in multiple events at All-Star weekend. Even the idea of having to rest Tim 2 days before the All-Star break is pretty ridiculous.

E-RockWill
02-22-2012, 07:58 PM
The butthurt in this forum is reaching a palatable level.

Word....:bang

rasho8
02-22-2012, 08:04 PM
I really hope you palpable... Because if you find butthurt tasty something is wrong with you.

Seventyniner
02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
I really hope you palpable... Because if you find butthurt tasty something is wrong with you.

Trolls savor nothing more than butthurt IMO.

And the Spurs still lose by 20 if Tim and Tony play. The Blazers were hitting damn near everything.

benefactor
02-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah...that. 12 hour shift...up since 345am. Humor me.

SA210
02-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Awesome :lol I'd love to see the video on this

SA210
02-22-2012, 08:28 PM

:rollin

justinandimcool
02-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Blazerfan is mad when his team won by 40

Spurfan is made we lost a game no one will care about 1 week from now

you people.

rr2418
02-22-2012, 09:52 PM

Are you serious? You think Pop should be fined b/c you paid and didn't get to see Parker and Duncan? Tell me you're not serious!! :wow

SequSpur
02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Pop should be fined 1.2k.

fo

tlongII
02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
It was just a wanton disregard for the integrity of the game on Popovich's part. Unbeavable.

Spursfanfromafar
02-22-2012, 11:40 PM
The stupidity of the Portland fan here is unbelievable.

His (her?) team has lost a potential HOF player in Brandon Roy because of bad injury management. It has more or less lost a fragile but potentially devastating center in Greg Oden. It had a season when even the coach was injured (!) and was hobbling around on crutches on the sidelines. Its current center is someone who has legs wrapped in protective cotton wool which can any time come off.

The team is playfully called the "Frail Blazers" this era after fielding a bunch of gangsters called the "Jail Blazers" in an earlier era.

And the idiot now takes umbrage at Gregg Popovich protecting his star players, who have amongst the most mileage of any players in the league - including NBA regular season, playoffs, Euro Basketball, World Basketball, Olympics etc.

jjktkk
02-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Awesome :lol I'd love to see the video on this

No you wouldn't. Kornheiser was the only one on PTI that disagreed. All 4 ATH panelist and PTI's Wilbon, sided with Pop. Looks like you'll have to trudge along with Tjastal and the rest of the Pop hater brigade. :lol

rr2418
02-23-2012, 01:04 AM
It's incredible that some fans ( or so called fans) think they know the team better than Pop. Playing NBA 2012 on your Xbox360 or whatever doesn't qualify you as an expert! Pop knows his players, he knows when they need the rest. There's alot of games played bk to bk so if Pop feels for the good of the team, not for the good of the fans who brought their kids to see the stars, that Duncan and Parker need the rest then so be it.

BoricuaCJA
02-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Then should teams not rest their players on the last game of the regular season then?

therealtruth
02-23-2012, 03:42 AM

They don't make players like they used to. Malone played more minutes than Duncan will probably ever will play and didn't need to constantly "rest."

Wild Cobra Kai
02-23-2012, 08:31 AM
They don't make players like they used to. Malone played more minutes than Duncan will probably ever will play and didn't need to constantly "rest."
Malone also ended up having microfracture surgery on one of his knees after his year in LA.

703 Spurz
02-23-2012, 08:57 AM

How could you possibly justify suspending a coach for using strategy to keep his team above water? That's completely ridiculous but I wouldn't expect anything less from a pissant title-less Blazers fan whose tried talking shit here for years.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-23-2012, 09:16 AM
All Spurs fans in attendance should be able to vote for who gets to play and for however many minutes. Each fan should be given some kind of electronic device that you can use to submit your vote.

Wow, I didn't think you could be more of an idiot than in the Political Forum, but apparently, you're an idiot in all places.