PDA

View Full Version : A Letter to Franklin Graham...

JoeChalupa
02-23-2012, 01:52 AM
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/02/22/a-letter-to-franklin-graham/

Dear Franklin Graham:

Your father once remarked, “Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion; it is like a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ.” Your Tuesday Morning Joe appearance, other than demonstrating that you are not your father, was unsettling at best.

I shouldn’t be surprised that you implied that President Obama is a Muslim, but I still am. You said, “All I know is that under Obama, President Obama, the Muslims of the world — he seems to be more concerned about them than the Christians that are being murdered in the Muslim countries.”

You spoke about the Arab Spring. You asserted that ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak protected Christians (Even though Muslims and Christians occupied Tahrir Square together.) If Obama cared only about Muslims, he probably would have left Egypt alone. But since Obama cares about human rights, not only religious affiliation, he pushed for Mubarak’s expulsion.

The real issue, however, comes in your comment, “People like Mubarak, he was a dictator, but he kept the peace with Israel.” Just say it: You want to protect Israel. This is about neither Obama’s faith nor Islam.

You maintain that Obama doesn’t care about Christians, but don’t forget about the recent contraception battle waged on Capitol Hill. In the end, the president fixed the mandate in light of concerns voiced by Christians. And a deal was brokered by — you guessed it — a Baptist.

Granted, any person can help out a Christian or two here and there and still not be a Christian. The cognitive dissonance arises when you’re willing to sacrifice people’s lives, snuff out democracy and slander the commander-in-chief because you support Israel.

Your politics reveal much about your theology. You were willing to allow an oppressive dictator to stay in power to protect Israel. You’re also willing to use your faith as a weapon in the fight for greater support of Israel.

At least you are clear on one thing: you love Rick Santorum. You can’t get enough Santorum. You said: “A very sharp guy, as far as a Christian faith we would be more in line…. He is no question a man of faith.” I predict that after November you’ll be able to have all the Santorum you want — his schedule will open up considerably.

Concerning Mitt Romney you simply stated, “Most Christians would not recognize Mormonism as part of the Christian faith.” And for Newt Gingrich you provided this equivocal line: “I think Newt is a Christian. At least he told me he is.” Well, whether you thought it up or he told you, you’ve pronounced him a man of faith.

You’ve managed, all in one interview, to question President Obama’s faith, endorse a hate-spewing candidate, disparage Mormons and remain mum on family values when it comes to a candidate that has been married three times.

You demonstrate a faith that feeds off hate, not hope. I dare not say whether or not you are a Christian — that’s between you and God — but if you want a Christian president who is just like you, I’ll pass. Presidents choose between life and death every day and make decisions that alter the global landscape. No canon law can guide their decisions. They face a globalized, pluralistic world that expects the United States to lead by example.

I only ask you remember: judge not, lest you too be judged. You have judged a man by the sound of his name, not the content of his character. May people of all creeds and identities see that your voice is not one sounding in the wilderness, but a Homeric siren leading people onto the rocky shoals of intolerance and bigotry.

Warmest Regards,

Zachary Bailes

-30-
Zachary Bailes is an M.Div. student at Wake Forest University Divinity School. He is editor of Those Crazy Liberals … and Conservatives and a contributor for Progressive Christian Alliance.

~~~It says it all. I was going to post this in the Santorum thread but thought it deserving of a thread of its own.

Trainwreck2100
02-23-2012, 02:07 AM
i'm totally ok with not trusting mormons and camel ninjas

EVAY
02-23-2012, 10:53 AM
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/02/22/a-letter-to-franklin-graham/

Dear Franklin Graham:

Your father once remarked, “Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion; it is like a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ.” Your Tuesday Morning Joe appearance, other than demonstrating that you are not your father, was unsettling at best.

I shouldn’t be surprised that you implied that President Obama is a Muslim, but I still am. You said, “All I know is that under Obama, President Obama, the Muslims of the world — he seems to be more concerned about them than the Christians that are being murdered in the Muslim countries.”

You spoke about the Arab Spring. You asserted that ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak protected Christians (Even though Muslims and Christians occupied Tahrir Square together.) If Obama cared only about Muslims, he probably would have left Egypt alone. But since Obama cares about human rights, not only religious affiliation, he pushed for Mubarak’s expulsion.

The real issue, however, comes in your comment, “People like Mubarak, he was a dictator, but he kept the peace with Israel.” Just say it: You want to protect Israel. This is about neither Obama’s faith nor Islam.

You maintain that Obama doesn’t care about Christians, but don’t forget about the recent contraception battle waged on Capitol Hill. In the end, the president fixed the mandate in light of concerns voiced by Christians. And a deal was brokered by — you guessed it — a Baptist.

Granted, any person can help out a Christian or two here and there and still not be a Christian. The cognitive dissonance arises when you’re willing to sacrifice people’s lives, snuff out democracy and slander the commander-in-chief because you support Israel.

Your politics reveal much about your theology. You were willing to allow an oppressive dictator to stay in power to protect Israel. You’re also willing to use your faith as a weapon in the fight for greater support of Israel.

At least you are clear on one thing: you love Rick Santorum. You can’t get enough Santorum. You said: “A very sharp guy, as far as a Christian faith we would be more in line…. He is no question a man of faith.” I predict that after November you’ll be able to have all the Santorum you want — his schedule will open up considerably.

Concerning Mitt Romney you simply stated, “Most Christians would not recognize Mormonism as part of the Christian faith.” And for Newt Gingrich you provided this equivocal line: “I think Newt is a Christian. At least he told me he is.” Well, whether you thought it up or he told you, you’ve pronounced him a man of faith.

You’ve managed, all in one interview, to question President Obama’s faith, endorse a hate-spewing candidate, disparage Mormons and remain mum on family values when it comes to a candidate that has been married three times.

You demonstrate a faith that feeds off hate, not hope. I dare not say whether or not you are a Christian — that’s between you and God — but if you want a Christian president who is just like you, I’ll pass. Presidents choose between life and death every day and make decisions that alter the global landscape. No canon law can guide their decisions. They face a globalized, pluralistic world that expects the United States to lead by example.

I only ask you remember: judge not, lest you too be judged. You have judged a man by the sound of his name, not the content of his character. May people of all creeds and identities see that your voice is not one sounding in the wilderness, but a Homeric siren leading people onto the rocky shoals of intolerance and bigotry.

Warmest Regards,

Zachary Bailes

-30-
Zachary Bailes is an M.Div. student at Wake Forest University Divinity School. He is editor of Those Crazy Liberals … and Conservatives and a contributor for Progressive Christian Alliance.

~~~It says it all. I was going to post this in the Santorum thread but thought it deserving of a thread of its own.

Thank you for the post. It was harsh, but so was Franklin Graham. As the article indicates, he was essentially lukewarm or tepid about anyone not named Santorum in that interview.

When I watched it, my first thought was that he had unnecessarily embarrassed his father. I don't agree with Billy Graham about a lot of things, but I think he is a truly genuine Christian with respect to judging others. Would that his son had learned that lesson a bit more fully.