PDA

View Full Version : If we can get either DEN/HOU in RD 1 and then the Clipps, we can go to the WCF...

Amuseddaysleeper
02-23-2012, 10:25 AM
....agreed?

I was looking at the top 8 seeds, and while we still have a ways to go, it seems like our best scenario should be to be the #2 seed (assuming OKC locks up #1) and we'd fare much better against the Clipps (no D) than Mavs/Lakers.

HarlemHeat37
02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Sure, but it's way too early to envision scenarios, involving seeding..

Spurs should avoid the Lakers and Grizzlies IMO..they can still beat them, but it would result in a tough series, with interior bullying..I'd still pick Spurs to beat LA in around 6, as there is a massive bench disparity, and Kobe probably doesn't utilize their bigs advantage, as usual..

Memphis would be easier than last year, but I would still rather avoid them..

OKC and Dallas would be toss-ups..

In any other series, I'd have the Spurs as favorites..

The ADMIRAL 50
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
....agreed?

I was looking at the top 8 seeds, and while we still have a ways to go, it seems like our best scenario should be to be the #2 seed (assuming OKC locks up #1) and we'd fare much better against the Clipps (no D) than Mavs/Lakers.

Tbh I don't see the mavs/lakers having any answer for Parker and I don't really see the lakers doing anything this year. Clips have more balance, depth, explosiveness, and are all around much better than their LA counterparts.

GSH
02-23-2012, 12:56 PM
....agreed?

I think it's a really bad idea to underestimate Houston - especially the way they have played the Spurs. And now that Denver has shed some of the egos and crazies, they are playing team basketball - that's always dangerous. If the Spurs reach the WCF, they will be over-achieving. No matter who they go through. Not saying they can't, just that they will be over-achieving.

There's a really good chance that injuries are going to play a big part in whoever reaches the WCF. I just hope that doesn't inlude the Spurs.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-23-2012, 01:12 PM
I think it's a really bad idea to underestimate Houston - especially the way they have played the Spurs. And now that Denver has shed some of the egos and crazies, they are playing team basketball - that's always dangerous. If the Spurs reach the WCF, they will be over-achieving. No matter who they go through. Not saying they can't, just that they will be over-achieving.

There's a really good chance that injuries are going to play a big part in whoever reaches the WCF. I just hope that doesn't inlude the Spurs.

Well said, this is all also assuming we can pickup a half decent big man vet during the buyout section of the season.

Horse
02-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I just gotta say atleast as far as the Spurs are concerned we will beat dallas if we play them, would've beaten them last playoffs. What I'm trying to say is FUCK DALLAS!!!

Beaverfuzz
02-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Who cares, just win baby!

spurbyheart
02-23-2012, 02:54 PM
I want to stay CLEAR THE HECK AWAY from HOUSTON and OKC, PORTLAND. For some god known reason we can not beat them...CONSISTENTLY!!!! Bring on Memphis, LA, Dallas.

cantthinkofanything
02-23-2012, 03:00 PM
....agreed?

Also, if Atlanta can win the East, I think it's TITLE TIME in SA.

DesignatedT
02-23-2012, 03:16 PM
I'll take HOU/DEN/UTAH/MEM first round and Dallas 2nd round.

02-23-2012, 03:20 PM
dallas and lakers will stomp the spurs. of course the best case scenario is for the lakers and the mavs kill each other, OKC beats the winner, and the spurs have a 40% chance against the thunder if healthy.

z0sa
02-23-2012, 03:23 PM
dallas and lakers will stomp the spurs.

:lol

02-23-2012, 03:32 PM
:lol
did u also believe the spurs would sweep the grizzlies last year?

DesignatedT
02-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Dallas without Chandler becomes extremely vulnerable. Lol at they will stomp the Spurs. Back to the same old Mavs with Dirk down low. Manu and Tony will have a field day inside just like 2010.

The Lakers still pose an extreme matchup problem for the Spurs so I would still prefer to avoid them.

DesignatedT
02-23-2012, 03:40 PM
The perfect scenario IMO would be
1.OKC
2.SA
3.DAL
4.LAC
5.LAL
6.MEM
7.HOU
8.POR

I think we can definitely make the WCF with that setup.

Old School 44
02-23-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd rather just play the more marquee teams all the way through. Any of these in combination Dallas/LAL/LAC/OKC. Teams we wouldn't have any issues getting up for.

I think the problem teams, especially in the first round, would be teams that are perceived underdogs, like the Twolves, Rockets, Trail Blazers, Memphis and Jazz.

DesignatedT
02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
I don't think we'll have a problem getting up for anyone this year after last years 1st round exit. At least I hope not.

DPG21920
02-23-2012, 03:57 PM
DT, while I think the Spurs match up decently well with Dallas I really think you are under-estimating them. Their defense is again very solid and they are really deep. Spurs still have no clear answer for Dirk.

dylankerouac
02-23-2012, 04:00 PM
I don't think we'll have a problem getting up for anyone this year after last years 1st round exit. At least I hope not.

Agreed.

DesignatedT
02-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Not trying to write them off. There defense is certainly miles better than ours, I just feel when it comes down to OKC,LAL,LAC and DAL for a 2nd round matchup, I would prefer Dallas out of those 4. LAC is a close 2nd but I think their athleticism would really hurt us and Duncan would really struggle against a huge big like Jordan.

boutons_deux
02-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Without 100% health, Spurs will not get out of first round, if they make they playoffs.

z0sa
02-23-2012, 04:16 PM
if they make they playoffs.

you should contain your stupidity to the political forum.

cheguevara
02-23-2012, 04:23 PM
If we are afraid to face the Lakers, then we have no business being in the playoffs.

z0sa
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
did u also believe the spurs would sweep the grizzlies last year?

no and anyone who thought that is beyond retarded. check the post-ASB records for why.

EricD
02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Who we play is irrelevant. What's relevant is the health of the team.

Give me health and throw me any team in the 1st round.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-23-2012, 05:08 PM
DT, while I think the Spurs match up decently well with Dallas I really think you are under-estimating them. Their defense is again very solid and they are really deep. Spurs still have no clear answer for Dirk.

Agreed 100%

I would prefer this scenario:

1.OKC
2.SA
3.LAC
4.DAL
5.LAL
6.MEM
7.HOU
8.POR

100%duncan
02-23-2012, 11:24 PM

most certainly this

Spurs and Mavs fan
02-23-2012, 11:34 PM
It would be an utter thing of beauty if the Clippers knocked out the Lakers in the playoffs. I would LOVE IT.

SpursFaninMS
02-24-2012, 01:59 PM

Disagree with that first comment completely. Well, obviously health is the primary concern.

But for us, match-ups are determining how far we go.

DesignatedT
02-24-2012, 02:00 PM
No shit we have to be healthy, I thought that was a given lmao.

Who we matchup up against definitely matters. (see last year)

ajballer4
02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
I think we've proven we can beat Denver, so I would love a first round matchup with them. We're only halfway though, a lot can happen

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Most of you are under rating Dallas, and over rating lakers. The lakers cannot score. They are slow. They are insanely thin. Kobe looks like an aged streaky jump shooter.
Dallas is arguably the best defensive team in the league and arguably the deepest, and are very balanced.

DesignatedT
02-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Dallas' defense doesn't have shit on Miami or Chicago. Losing Chandler took them out of that discussion although they do arguably have the best defense in the west.

I don't think many people are overrating the Lakers but they just pose the biggest matchup problem against our pretty weak front line.

Sorry if I'm not afraid of Lamar Odom, Vince Carter and the crew.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2012, 04:12 PM
I think Tiago and Tim with Parker out there would solve most laker match up problems. Parker would average fifteen assists a game inn a laker series. Fisher and artest are almost all by themselves in terms of worst starters in the league. I guess we will see how we handle lakers in April when we play them thrice in two Weeks

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Plus I cannot see coach Pop losing a series to any Mike Brown coached team moo matter how stacked it may be, which this one isn't

DesignatedT
02-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Plus I cannot see coach Pop losing a series to any Mike Brown coached team moo matter how stacked it may be, which this one isn't

this is true.

ThaBigFundamental21
02-24-2012, 04:39 PM
If the Spurs don't add one big, none of this matters.

ThaBigFundamental21
02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Sure, but it's way too early to envision scenarios, involving seeding..

Spurs should avoid the Lakers and Grizzlies IMO..they can still beat them, but it would result in a tough series, with interior bullying..I'd still pick Spurs to beat LA in around 6, as there is a massive bench disparity, and Kobe probably doesn't utilize their bigs advantage, as usual..

Memphis would be easier than last year, but I would still rather avoid them..

OKC and Dallas would be toss-ups..

In any other series, I'd have the Spurs as favorites..

Everyone is forgetting about Zach Randolph. You call yourself NBA fans but continue to say the Grizz are weaker this year than last and we need not worry. Everyone keeps saying oh yeah, they are good BUT. But, but, but, the Spurs will beat them. WHY? They are missing their best player. We couldn't beat them last year, and we won't beat them this year with this roster.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Randolph will not be his usual self the rest of this season. So it won't be the same beast as last year

DesignatedT
02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
If we have a healthy Manu, +Considerable amount more playing time for Splitter compared to last year+Kawhi Leonard to help defensively and on the glass =Spurs much better equiped to take on Grizz.

Plus Z-bo was playing the best basketball of his career during the end of last year through the playoffs. He won't be near as effective.

jason1301
02-24-2012, 07:08 PM
All is going to be well if LA/Dallas end up 4 and 5 :)

irishock
02-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Agreed 100%

I would prefer this scenario:

1.OKC
2.SA
3.LAC
4.DAL
5.LAL
6.MEM
7.HOU
8.POR

LMAO. That's almost a walk in the park to the WCF for the Spurs.