PDA

View Full Version : Kevin McHale comments on coaching again

djohn2oo8
02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
"34 games this season in totality, the guys have come from where we came from that first 5-minute scrimmage on December 9th where it was actually frightening. I literally went home and almost cried myself to sleep. That was like the worst basketball I've ever seen in my life. I had 10 guys holding their shorts after a minute and a half and I thought, 'Oh my word, we may not win a game this year. I wonder what 0-66 would look like.'

Those guys have worked really hard and they've battled. I'm proud of them. (They're) buying in to the fact that they're just going to have to sometimes win ugly.
We've got a long way to go yet but I'm proud of the guys. I'll be honest with you, they went from a group that was really, really, really hard for me to coach, to a group that I'm actually starting to enjoy a little bit, but I don't want to enjoy them too much. We'll lose our edge.
I slept about an hour after the Minnesota game. I watched it like 5 times. I had myself so worked up at 3 o'clock in the morning I was calling people, then I knew I lost my mind. Nobody wants to talk to me at 3 o'clock in the morning. The worst thing is I tried to call people on the East coast so it was 4. I was so pissed. I [couldn't] sleep when I played poorly. That game bothered me so much. I wake up the next morning, I finally made a pot of coffee and said I'm just going to stew for 3 or 4 hours while I sit here. Then I honestly wondered, 'What am I doing? Why did I take this job? I've got to be out of my mind.' Then the guys battled back. We have a hellfight practice and it's a 2-hour film session, you jump knee-deep in them and they respond and you go, 'Ahh I love coaching!' I'm a nutjob when it comes to (that)... but I was like that as a player."

Reck
02-23-2012, 11:51 AM
You can just feel the heavy sarcasm from this article.