PDA

View Full Version : Most Successful Rodeo Road Trip to Date?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Here's how the Spurs have fared in their RRT this past decade:

2003: 8-1
2004: 6-1
2005: 5-2
2006: 6-2
2007: 4-4
2008: 6-3
2009: 5-3
2010: 4-4
2011: 6-3
2012: 8-1

I wanted to focus on the most memorable ones which would 2003, and this year. I know 2003's road trip brought the team together and served as a springboard to get them into championship contention, but I actually think this year was more impressive. Especially when you factor in that there wasn't as big of a 5 day layoff like in 2003 due to the AS game.

Let's take a look at the two RRT's from those respective years.

2003:

http://s14.postimage.org/ejme47jb5/Spurs_2003.png

2012:

http://s15.postimage.org/miy3l9hfv/Spurs_2012.png

While you could argue that the 2003 RRT was against tougher competition, I think with the injuries that the Spurs had to deal with this season coupled with being an incredibly poor road team prior to the trip, makes me feel that 2012 could be the most successful road trip yet.

I'm sure many boost the importance of the 2003 RRT due it kicking off a dynasty in the mid 2000's for the Spurs. That's a tall order to live up to, but I feel if people were to predict the RRT from 2003, and the one from 2012, the 2012 results would be a lot more surprising.

What say you?

thispego
02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
I say you're pretty lame tbh

Viva Las Espuelas
02-24-2012, 10:40 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CHyjL7icHy4/TNH_7Tqn9II/AAAAAAAABJc/HTZQ1BwewIU/wolf.jpg

Well, let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.

DBMethos
02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
LOL @ Miami in 2003: 67-65 :wow

Wonder if Pop made any comments about setting offensive basketball back about 50 years...

DesignatedT
02-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Pretty even

JR3
02-24-2012, 12:03 PM
I think this years road trip was the most successful. Especially since we threw the one loss and we are down splitter and ginobili. Don't forget tj ford. We have struggled to rebound and struggled to bring the ball up the court with only one point gaurd. And we still win? How good are we??? Man, I don't even think we have seen us at full strength yet. The west is wide open.....

Amuseddaysleeper
02-24-2012, 12:06 PM
I think this years road trip was the most successful. Especially since we threw the one loss and we are down splitter and ginobili. Don't forget tj ford. We have struggled to rebound and struggled to bring the ball up the court with only one point gaurd. And we still win? How good are we??? Man, I don't even think we have seen us at full strength yet. The west is wide open.....

:lobt2:

CubanMustGo
02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
What's amazing about this year's RRT is that it was such a huge departure from the way they'd played on the road earlier in the year. When they headed out you had to consider anything over .500 would have been huge ...

Pre-RRT: 3-8
RRT: 8-1
YTD road record: 11-9

Amuseddaysleeper
02-24-2012, 12:37 PM
What's amazing about this year's RRT is that it was such a huge departure from the way they'd played on the road earlier in the year. When they headed out you had to consider anything over .500 would have been huge ...

Pre-RRT: 3-8
RRT: 8-1
YTD road record: 11-9

Exactly, it may not even have been the most successful road trip, but the very least, the most pleasantly surprising.

cantthinkofanything
02-24-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm sure many boost the importance of the 2003 RRT due it kicking off a dynasty in the mid 2000's for the Spurs. That's a tall order to live up to, but I feel if people were to predict the RRT from 2003, and the one from 2012, the 2012 results would be a lot more surprising.

How do you know that we aren't kicking off a new dynasty with Leonard, Splitter, and Bonner?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-24-2012, 01:30 PM
How do you know that we aren't kicking off a new dynasty with Leonard, Splitter, and Bonner?

I don't but I'll be sure to bump this thread in June 2013 after b2b titles :king:lol

FromWayDowntown
02-24-2012, 01:33 PM
I still think the 2003 trip was more successful.

I've always thought that the thing that made the 2003 trip memorable and remarkable was the last 2 wins at LAL and at SAC. The Lakers had gotten off to a slow start that year -- at one point, they were 11-19 -- but had just ripped off a 7 game winning streak. They appeared to be rounding into their championship form at that point and the Spurs sent a message, winning at Staples without David Robinson.

The Kings weren't quite that hot, but that was a 59-win Sacramento team that only lost 6 times at home that season (though 2 of the 6 were to the Spurs). It was a Sunday afternoon national TV game and, with the Spurs already having won in LA, it was a big game against teams that were fighting hard for the #1 seed.

To have the equivalent of those two games on this trip, I think the Spurs would have essentially had to win consecutive games in Dallas and Oklahoma City. Had they done that, I think the two trips would be highly comparable.

Maybe I romanticize that trip because it did lead to a title, if only by ensuring the that Spurs had HCA that year (had they lost in either LA or SAC, or had they gone 7-2 or 6-3 on that trip instead of 8-1, they either would have been the #3 seed or they would have had a Game 82 showdown with Dallas for the top overall seed), and because it was the first of the RRTs.

This year's trip was surprising to me, but I'm also a little less convinced than others that it means as much. New Jersey, Detroit, and Toronto are not good. Memphis and Denver were both badly banged up when the Spurs played them. I thought the win in Philadelphia was a very good one and, while it took some luck, the win in LA against the Clippers was encouraging. But it just doesn't feel like a trip where the Spurs sent some definitive message to the rest of the league or anything like that. Even after an 8-1 trip, I don't think too many people really consider the Spurs to be a legitimate contender.

GSH
02-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Look at the lists of leaders from those games. (Hi pts, rb, ast) In 2003, Duncan was on the lists 9 times, and Parker 5 times. In 2012, Parker was on the lists 9 times, and Duncan 5 times.

Those were some pretty gaudy numbers Tim was putting up back then, too.

Dex
02-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Another thing to consider is that this trip could've easily been 9-0 if Pop hadn't rested Tim and Tony. We basically forfeit one game, and still ended 8-1.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Look at the lists of leaders from those games. (Hi pts, rb, ast) In 2003, Duncan was on the lists 9 times, and Parker 5 times. In 2012, Parker was on the lists 9 times, and Duncan 5 times.

Tim Duncan was in God mode in those days. His 2002 stats were awfully good as well.

spurs10
02-24-2012, 01:59 PM
They were both damn impressive, but this one was indeed the more 'surprising.'

will_spurs
02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
The main difference for me is indeed that the Spurs were just awful on the road pre-RRT, and now have a winning record on the road. It's even more impressive because the Spurs got good production from either young players (whose efficiency traditionally goes way down when away from home) or "vets" who can be struggling while on the road (Blair, Bonner).

All in all 8-1, especially knowing the only loss was a giveaway, is a really great surprise at this point in the season.

From now on, and as usual, the only important thing is injuries.

manufan10
02-24-2012, 02:02 PM

Sad that those days are gone. I miss those days of pure domination by Duncan. :depressed

TDomination
02-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Was it a great RRT this year - OF COURSE! It was excellent

Was it better than 2003??? If we are holding up the trophy at the end of the year, then yes.

phxspurfan
02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
I think this trip was more successful, but the team back in 2003 was better in many ways: inside presence (prime Tim, still decent rebounder/shot blocker David, solid supporting cast). Also Parker was playing pretty decently (though not at his current level), and we had decent backup PG play with Claxton IIRC.

manufan10
02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
I agree with the assessment that the 2012 RRT was more impressive. The way this team has fizzled and had rough games on the road, and then the way they winning seven straight before throwing a game, is pretty impressive.

Sense
02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Another thing to consider is that this trip could've easily been 9-0 if Pop hadn't rested Tim and Tony. We basically forfeit one game, and still ended 8-1.

:lol is that what your crystal ball told you?

It's so easy to assume we would have won a game when our best players weren't on the court, but you seriously think we would have won the game on a b2b after both Duncan and Parker went for almost 38 minutes each on the night before?

:rolleyes

Stop making it a sure win, just because we had won the previous 11 prior to that game, doesn't mean we would have for sure won it.

I think the 2003 RRT was more difficult, for a lot of reasons. I think there were teams at that time that I feared as a Spurs fan, the fact that they were more established because it wasn't a lock out, there weren't as many injuries as there are now, and the West wasn't wide open.

TJastal
02-24-2012, 03:33 PM

It's so easy to assume we would have won a game when our best players weren't on the court, but you seriously think we would have won the game on a b2b after both Duncan and Parker went for almost 38 minutes each on the night before?

Stop making it a sure win, just because we had won the previous 11 prior to that game, doesn't mean we would have for sure won it.

I think the 2003 RRT was more difficult, for a lot of reasons. I think there were teams at that time that I feared as a Spurs fan, the fact that they were more established because it wasn't a lock out, there weren't as many injuries as there are now, and the West wasn't wide open.

Blazers were also on a B2B against a tougher opponennt.

Robz4000
02-24-2012, 04:22 PM
I still think the 2003 trip was more successful.

I've always thought that the thing that made the 2003 trip memorable and remarkable was the last 2 wins at LAL and at SAC. The Lakers had gotten off to a slow start that year -- at one point, they were 11-19 -- but had just ripped off a 7 game winning streak. They appeared to be rounding into their championship form at that point and the Spurs sent a message, winning at Staples without David Robinson.

The Kings weren't quite that hot, but that was a 59-win Sacramento team that only lost 6 times at home that season (though 2 of the 6 were to the Spurs). It was a Sunday afternoon national TV game and, with the Spurs already having won in LA, it was a big game against teams that were fighting hard for the #1 seed.

To have the equivalent of those two games on this trip, I think the Spurs would have essentially had to win consecutive games in Dallas and Oklahoma City. Had they done that, I think the two trips would be highly comparable.

Maybe I romanticize that trip because it did lead to a title, if only by ensuring the that Spurs had HCA that year (had they lost in either LA or SAC, or had they gone 7-2 or 6-3 on that trip instead of 8-1, they either would have been the #3 seed or they would have had a Game 82 showdown with Dallas for the top overall seed), and because it was the first of the RRTs.

This year's trip was surprising to me, but I'm also a little less convinced than others that it means as much. New Jersey, Detroit, and Toronto are not good. Memphis and Denver were both badly banged up when the Spurs played them. I thought the win in Philadelphia was a very good one and, while it took some luck, the win in LA against the Clippers was encouraging. But it just doesn't feel like a trip where the Spurs sent some definitive message to the rest of the league or anything like that. Even after an 8-1 trip, I don't think too many people really consider the Spurs to be a legitimate contender.
2003 was the more impressive RRT, but there are ways in which this one was more impactful. The games came at a much lower interval, with multiple b2bs. Although their records don't indicate it, DET and TOR are not bad teams. DET has been playing good bball as of late and TOR plays the Spurs tough at home. This year there's much more media hype for large market teams and people are wanting to write the Spurs off for their boring play and embarrassing play in the playoffs last year, so sending any message short of a title won't really get through.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
LOL @ Miami in 2003: 67-65 :wow

Wonder if Pop made any comments about setting offensive basketball back about 50 years...

I remember this game. was almost as lame as the playoff game where the mavs shot fifty free throws against us

Dex
02-24-2012, 04:30 PM

I never said anywhere it would've been a sure win. If the Blazers came out and still shot the lights out, then we still would've lost. But having our most competitive lineup in there, a team that has been rolling for 11-straight wins (and immediately started rolling again once they came back), would've surely changed the dynamic of that game.

We're talking about a Blazers team that had put up just 7 points in the first quarter against the Lakers the night prior. They were probably just licking their chops to get all the open looks that a under-talented, disjointed starting lineup provided. Maybe you are just keying in on the word "easily", but I meant that more in the aspect of it being one single L that could've been a W.

We would have had a lot better chance than we did playing Cory Joseph and Eric-flurking-Dawson, my crystal ball definitely told me that.

And to clarify, I'm not bitching. I'm one of the supporters of Pop's decision to rest Tim and Tony. Doesn't change the fact that the only game we didn't win on the trip, is the one game we didn't really try for.

Bruno
02-24-2012, 05:50 PM
That rodeo road trip was amazing. I would be it at the same level than the 2003 one. Spurs haven't played a top team this year but they have had injuries, it quite cancels each other.

However, this RRT will have limited consequences when you look at the bigger picture. Ginobili and even Ford will have a lot the ball in their hands when they will be back at 100% and Spurs surely won't be able to play the same way they did during the RRT. These injuries limit the RRT to a huge confidence builder and not a starting point for Spurs game.

More globally, Spurs haven't been at full strength one single game this year. Hopefully, they will have a healthy stretch which will allow the team to get some chemistry. Pop also needs to figure his rotation out.

fotan2
02-24-2012, 06:05 PM
it could've been 9-0 this year, but pop did the right thing.

therealtruth
02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
That rodeo road trip was amazing. I would be it at the same level than the 2003 one. Spurs haven't played a top team this year but they have had injuries, it quite cancels each other.

However, this RRT will have limited consequences when you look at the bigger picture. Ginobili and even Ford will have a lot the ball in their hands when they will be back at 100% and Spurs surely won't be able to play the same way they did during the RRT. These injuries limit the RRT to a huge confidence builder and not a starting point for Spurs game.

More globally, Spurs haven't been at full strength one single game this year. Hopefully, they will have a healthy stretch which will allow the team to get some chemistry. Pop also needs to figure his rotation out.

I am not sure it cancels each other out. We really need this team healthy to see how good it is.

DieHardSpursFan1537
02-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Agreed. The Nuggets and Blazers are choking, Clippers don't have enough experience to carry out to the Finals, the Lakers are slipping away as Kobe ball hogs like hell, and the only team that looks worthy is Thunder, but they normally don't do so well in the playoffs besides that Western Conference Final appearance last year.

rascal
02-27-2012, 02:40 PM
This trip was not so bad. Only one back to back(that game thrown by Pop) playing several teams that were on back to back, there was enough rest on the trip.

The rodeo trip is a schedule advantage. I have always said this. Just look at the won/loss record over the years and the rodeo trip is over rated in difficulty.

rascal
02-27-2012, 02:42 PM
The Spurs have a better record during the rodeo trip than all other road games combined during the years. The rodeo trip is a schedule advantage.

timvp
02-27-2012, 03:06 PM
^rascal bringing the sunshine, per usual.