PDA

View Full Version : Sheed to sign with Lakers

bklynspursfan
02-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Did not see that coming...

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/post/Source-Rasheed-Wallace-to-sign-with-Lake?blockID=657492&feedID=3352&awid=5449335149484906289-932

Ocotillo
02-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Kobe, Ron Ron (Metta whatever) and Sheed............ yeah that'll work.

Dex
02-24-2012, 05:00 PM
lol grasping at straws

TJastal
02-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Good signing, meanwhile the spurs will sit and watch the tumbleweeds roll by.

Lakers stilll need some wing depth behind Kobe, I'm still really surprised they didn't go balls to the wall for JR Smith.

manufan10
02-24-2012, 05:04 PM
This is an implosion just waiting to happen, tbh.

CGD
02-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Maybe they see the departure of Pau as emminent, though, this is a stretch. I for one would be happy to see that lengthy front court take another blow. First Odom and next Pau.

TD 21
02-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Considering that he's supposedly in the best shape he's been in "in years", there's no excuse for the Spurs to not have signed him. They could have offered more money, a starting spot and a better shot at a championship. I don't care how old he is, as long as he's not grossly overweight, I'd have much rather preferred to find out how much, if any, he had left, than resort to signing Diaw or Turiaf. I don't get this organization.

Spurtacus
02-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Dawson > Sheed

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Sounds like the lakers are getting desperate to me

Dex
02-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Considering that he's supposedly in the best shape he's been in "in years", there's no excuse for the Spurs to not have signed him. They could have offered more money, a starting spot and a better shot at a championship. I don't care how old he is, as long as he's not grossly overweight, I'd have much rather preferred to find out how much, if any, he had left, than resort to signing Diaw or Turiaf. I don't get this organization.

Who's to say they didn't try? Maybe Sheed just doesn't want to come to San Antonio.

Lakers are one year removed from a championship, still have a good core, and are in Southern California.

Spurs, while playing well recently, have fallen to Pretender status until proving otherwise (the Memphis series didn't help), have an aging core, and are in the middle of Texas. And there is always the dynamic if Sheed wanting (or not wanting) to play with Duncan, his career rival.

manufan10
02-24-2012, 05:09 PM

I never understand this type of sentiment on this board. Players have to be willing to sign here too. The Spurs could have wanted to sign him, but Rasheed wasn't interested. We don't know all of the details.

manufan10
02-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Who's to say they didn't try? Maybe Sheed just doesn't want to come to San Antonio.

Beat me to it.. :depressed

:toast

dbreiden83080
02-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Lakers stilll need some wing depth behind Kobe, I'm still really surprised they didn't go balls to the wall for JR Smith.

Good signing.. Sheed has not been relevant since like 2005.. Lakers are playing like shit and this is a desperate move..

lmbebo
02-24-2012, 05:15 PM
doesn't really belong in spurs forum.
doesn't address Lakers bigger need, a point guard.

TD 21
02-24-2012, 05:16 PM

Lakers are one year removed from a championship, still have a good core, and are in Southern California.

Spurs, while playing well recently, have fallen to Pretender status until proving otherwise (the Memphis series didn't help), have an aging core, and are in the middle of Texas.

Apparently he's been looking for a team for a while but there weren't any takers at first. At least, that's what I heard a while back. A lot of you still think this is the old days, where next to nothing Spurs related get's out, but it's just not true. We heard of their plans in free agency, so if they were really interested, I'm sure we'd have heard.

I'm sure he'd prefer to live in Los Angeles, but we're not talking where he's going to settle down for the next five years. We're talking five months at most. And for a guy who once said (to paraphrase) "as long as they CTC (cut the check), I don't care", I can't imagine he'd have turned down more money, on top of a potential starting (and finishing) role and at minimum, at least as good a shot at a championship.

ThaBigFundamental21
02-24-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't care what anyone says. This is not a good signing. Sheed has nothing left in the tank.

Mel_13
02-24-2012, 05:18 PM
1. His first choice would have been Boston.

2. Boston has significant front court issues.

3. Boston didn't want him.

manufan10
02-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Apparently he's been looking for a team for a while but there weren't any takers at first. At least, that's what I heard a while back. A lot of you still think this is the old days, where next to nothing Spurs related get's out, but it's just not true. We heard of their plans in free agency, so if they were really interested, I'm sure we'd have heard.

I'm sure he'd prefer to live in Los Angeles, but we're not talking where he's going to settle down for the next five years. We're talking five months at most. And for a guy who once said (to paraphrase) "as long as they CTC (cut the check), I don't care", I can't imagine he'd have turned down more money, on top of a potential starting (and finishing) role and at minimum, at least as good a shot at a championship.

Yup, heard all about Jefferson getting amnestied, and yet here we are. :lol

ChumpDumper
02-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Apparently he's been looking for a team for a while but there weren't any takers at first. At least, that's what I heard a while back. A lot of you still think this is the old days, where next to nothing Spurs related get's out, but it's just not true. We heard of their plans in free agency, so if they were really interested, I'm sure we'd have heard.Yes, they leak every bit of information to the press now.

timvp
02-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I always thought Rasheed would be a fantastic fit next to Duncan. If anyone could recapture Horry's role, it'd be Rasheed.

That said, there's about a 99% chance he's done. He was done two years ago. At 37, it's really, really unlikely that he'll suddenly play better any better than what the Lakers are currently getting out of Murphy or McRoberts. An old bigman who relied on quickness in his prime due to not being overly strong for an interior big or fast for a perimeter big is not a type of player who can turn back the clock.

I don't think signing him would have been a smart move for the Spurs. Not only is he very likely done, he's bad in the locker room. And on top of that, Rasheed probably didn't even want to sign with S.A. The last time he was a free agent, he basically laughed at the idea of signing with the Spurs and said he didn't like the team's personnel. The personnel hasn't changed enough since then for him to suddenly like it.

Oh, and :lmao @ claiming to be in the best shape of his life. That's what every free agent in the history of free agency says when trying desperately to hook up with a team.

P.S.

Rasheed signing with the Lakers is good news for the Spurs, tbh. Anything that results in potentially less of Gasol and Bynum is good news. And that already fragile locker room could implode.

Kobe ballhogging + Artest being the worst player in the league + Gasol trade rescinded + Worst point guards in the league + Worst bench in the league + Coach no one respects + Rasheed? = Good luck

manufan10
02-24-2012, 05:29 PM
I always thought Rasheed would be a fantastic fit next to Duncan. If anyone could recapture Horry's role, it'd be Rasheed.

That said, there's about a 99% chance he's done. He was done two years ago. At 37, it's really, really unlikely that he'll suddenly play better any better than what the Lakers are currently getting out of Murphy or McRoberts. An old bigman who relied on quickness in his prime due to not being overly strong for an interior big or fast for a perimeter big is not a type of player who can turn back the clock.

I don't think signing him would have been a smart move for the Spurs. Not only is he very likely done, he's bad in the locker room. And on top of that, Rasheed probably didn't even want to sign with S.A. The last time he was a free agent, he basically laughed at the idea of signing with the Spurs and said he didn't like the team's personnel. The personnel hasn't changed enough since then for him to suddenly like it.

Oh, and :lmao @ claiming to be in the best shape of his life. That's what every free agent in the history of free agency says when trying desperately to hook up with a team.

P.S.

Rasheed signing with the Lakers is good news for the Spurs, tbh. Anything that results in potentially less of Gasol and Bynum is good news. And that already fragile locker room could implode.

Kobe ballhogging + Artest being the worst player in the league + Gasol trade rescinded + Worst point guards in the league + Worst bench in the league + Coach no one respects + Rasheed? = Good luck

Sheed and Metta World Peace on the same team???

Reality Television.

VH1 or MTV needs to jump on this quick. :lol

TD 21
02-24-2012, 05:32 PM

P.S.

I don't disagree. But just because of that 1% chance he still has something left, I'd have rather signed him than Diaw or Turiaf, which is probably the best they can do and that's if they get lucky and those two get bought out.

If it was apparent at any point that it wasn't working out and he was being a disruptive force, they could have easily released him. But to not even give it a shot when they more than likely can't do better, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I got new for all you apologists: There's plenty of players playing somewhere that don't really want to be their. But in the end, money and opportunity talks. So you can all stop pretending as if San Antonio is the moon.

angelbelow
02-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Depending on the deal this could be a low risk move for the Lakers. Could be a non-guaransheed contract. League minimum won't hurt them too much financially either. (Does the NBA still pick up most of the league minimum for veterans like Rasheed?)

McRoberts has actually fallen completely out of the Lakers rotation due to poor defense, being an offensive liability, and has a poor understanding of contributing without the ball. At the age of 32, Murphy might be done as well. Troy looks completely lifeless when hes out there with Kobe. Therefore, if Sheed can actually spell 15 minutes a game this might turn out well for the Lakers. Big IF but I see this as a low risk move for the Lakers.

ChumpDumper
02-24-2012, 05:41 PM
If any free agent really wanted to come to SA, we would have heard about it in the press.

You can't claim we wouldn't after saying that about the Spurs.

Mugen
02-24-2012, 05:45 PM
"Both teams played hard, goodnight and god bless."

TD 21
02-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Depending on the deal this could be a low risk move for the Lakers. Could be a non-guaransheed contract. League minimum won't hurt them too much financially either. (Does the NBA still pick up most of the league minimum for veterans like Rasheed?)

McRoberts has actually fallen completely out of the Lakers rotation due to poor defense, being an offensive liability, and has a poor understanding of contributing without the ball. At the age of 32, Murphy might be done as well. Troy looks completely lifeless when hes out there with Kobe. Therefore, if Sheed can actually spell 15 minutes a game this might turn out well for the Lakers. Big IF but I see this as a low risk move for the Lakers.

Why would you want to have another potentially viable option, that's inexpensive, in an area of need, though? That doesn't make sense. I'd much rather have no fifth big or some D-Leaguer, so that when Splitter inevitably goes down again or one of the other three bigs does, they can have guys playing far more minutes than they should and be even smaller than they already are.

monkeypunk
02-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Remember that one time when Sheed said he didnt choose to sign with the spurs because Jefferson was a :cat?

:worthy: Sheedstramus :worthy:

DPG21920
02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Why do people keep mentioning Turiaf? Do y'all think he will be bought out? I haven't really seen a lot of smoke around that but if he is I would much rather him over Sheed.

Mel_13
02-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Why do people keep mentioning Turiaf? Do y'all think he will be bought out? I haven't really seen a lot of smoke around that but if he is I would much rather him over Sheed.

He fits the profile. Vet on expiring contract playing for a team that has zero chance at making the playoffs.

spurtech09
02-24-2012, 07:07 PM

-1/good signing...if your desperate:downspin:

Muser
02-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Don't really get the signing. McRoberts is better than Sheed as a 3rd big and the Lakers need Bynum/Gasol to play heavy minutes to have any shot of winning a game.

Cane
02-24-2012, 07:34 PM
So does this mean the Lakers are that much closer to signing Gilbert Arenas and Allen Iversoon too? It'd be a shitty version of the 03-04 Karl Malone/Gary Payton Lakers:downspin:

Tbh wouldn't mind a big body like Sheed even though he's probably too big nowadays, Spurs need something to throw at the Gasols. IIRC Spurs had some legit interest in Sheed, he was the first option over McDyess, but Sheed turned out to be a fat sack of shit anyway which he probably still is

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Sheed was done when everyone around here was clamouring to have him as a Spur. I doubt the Magical Basketball Awesomness Fairy has blessed his 39yo arse since.

Fakers are definitely getting worried about their ineptitude to think Sheed will help at this point in his retirement. :lmao

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Don't really get the signing. McRoberts is better than Sheed as a 3rd big and the Lakers need Bynum/Gasol to play heavy minutes to have any shot of winning a game.

McBob is the guy I wish we had. Think he'd be a great 5th big for us.

The Truth #6
02-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Sheed was a shell of himself when he played at Boston and was known for giving almost no effort all season long. And people are furious that we didn't sign him? That's ridiculous.

I'll stick with the youth movement for the moment...wasn't that what everyone was crying for?

jjktkk
02-24-2012, 09:10 PM
McBob is the guy I wish we had. Think he'd be a great 5th big for us.

You would think the Lakers wouldn't be able to keep him, now that they got Sheed, and possibly Arenas.

Old School 44
02-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Sheed's done. Glad we didn't sign him.
"Ball don't lie."

BackHome
02-24-2012, 10:10 PM
OMG...........Damn the Flakers are grasping at straws to sign him...:rollin

benefactor
02-24-2012, 10:34 PM
1. His first choice would have been Boston.

2. Boston has significant front court issues.

3. Boston didn't want him.

P.S.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NURTFz-26UI/TSARBNOyh6I/AAAAAAAACDU/u785znOFZmQ/s400/wl2mte.jpg

GSH
02-24-2012, 10:44 PM

That said, there's about a 99% chance he's done. He was done two years ago.

If being "done" means that he can't play anything like the game he used to, or the minutes he used to, then my opinion is that there's a 100% chance that he's done. Sheed was a tough sonofabitch that never had to play dirty (no matter what some people say). He's one of the few older guys I can think of who could play an enforcer-type role like Kevin Willis or Tony Massenburg. He might have been worth signing just to fill that role. The problem is, I don't think he would ever be willing to settle for a role that someone else defined for him. And he's not going to do it in L.A. either. I give it a few weeks before he decides that he needs to move into Metta's spot in the lineup.

I watched Rasheed play in his last couple of seasons - Detroit and Boston - and he reminded me of some older golfers. They can still play for a round or two, but they can't put together enough good rounds to win a tournament. If you see them on a good day, you can believe that they are still as good as they ever were. That's my prediction for Rasheed in L.A. He'll have some good games, and people here will cry about how the Spurs should have signed him. Those same people will ignore all the other games where he's a corpse.

tmtcsc
02-24-2012, 10:45 PM
I think an earlier poster mentioned this but I agree. Sheed's signing means Gasol is going.

100%duncan
02-25-2012, 02:19 AM
So does this mean the Lakers are that much closer to signing Gilbert Arenas and Allen Iversoon too? It'd be a shitty version of the 03-04 Karl Malone/Gary Payton Lakers:downspin:

Tbh wouldn't mind a big body like Sheed even though he's probably too big nowadays, Spurs need something to throw at the Gasols. IIRC Spurs had some legit interest in Sheed, he was the first option over McDyess, but Sheed turned out to be a fat sack of shit anyway which he probably still is

you gonna clean that septic tank cause that's just full of shit

TJastal
02-25-2012, 02:25 AM
If being "done" means that he can't play anything like the game he used to, or the minutes he used to, then my opinion is that there's a 100% chance that he's done. Sheed was a tough sonofabitch that never had to play dirty (no matter what some people say). He's one of the few older guys I can think of who could play an enforcer-type role like Kevin Willis or Tony Massenburg. He might have been worth signing just to fill that role. The problem is, I don't think he would ever be willing to settle for a role that someone else defined for him. And he's not going to do it in L.A. either. I give it a few weeks before he decides that he needs to move into Metta's spot in the lineup.

I watched Rasheed play in his last couple of seasons - Detroit and Boston - and he reminded me of some older golfers. They can still play for a round or two, but they can't put together enough good rounds to win a tournament. If you see them on a good day, you can believe that they are still as good as they ever were. That's my prediction for Rasheed in L.A. He'll have some good games, and people here will cry about how the Spurs should have signed him. Those same people will ignore all the other games where he's a corpse.

If Rasheed has only one good playoff game he'd still be 1 good playoff game ahead of Bonner.

HarlemHo 37
02-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Lebron stopper tbh

tuncaboylu
02-25-2012, 03:17 AM
A 40 years old center who tries more 3s then 2s and not playing more then 1.5 years.
Damn Spurs, why didn't you sign this player?

GSH
02-25-2012, 03:29 AM
That's my prediction for Rasheed in L.A. He'll have some good games, and people here will cry about how the Spurs should have signed him. Those same people will ignore all the other games where he's a corpse.

If Rasheed has only one good playoff game he'd still be 1 good playoff game ahead of Bonner.

Yep... every time Sheed gets a block, or throws down a dunk, or scores more than about 4 points in a game, there's gonna be another thread started. :bang

Hoops Czar
02-25-2012, 03:51 AM
I'm stil not sure why this thread was started.

angelbelow
02-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Why would you want to have another potentially viable option, that's inexpensive, in an area of need, though? That doesn't make sense. I'd much rather have no fifth big or some D-Leaguer, so that when Splitter inevitably goes down again or one of the other three bigs does, they can have guys playing far more minutes than they should and be even smaller than they already are.

As happy as I was with the Dice signing, I always thought Rasheed was a way better fit. I definitely prefer to see him here as opposed to the Lakers because we have a better shot at the title.

As as I said before, this is a low risk signing for the Lakers and the same could be said for the Spurs. Too bad we couldn't give him a test run but time to look to the future.

The Truth #6
02-25-2012, 09:25 AM
I would call it a high risk signing for the Spurs: very little chance he can contribute on the court combined with very high chance he will negatively affect the team personality.

K-State Spur
02-25-2012, 11:12 AM
i hope like hell that we did NOT try to sign him. guy was washed up his last 2 years and now he's 2 years older than that.

i love LA getting him - takes minutes away from front line players and takes shots away from more productive shooters. he's been a chucker from 3 point land his last few years, i doubt that will change.

we definitely need another big, but if it's wallace? I'd rather have bonner or small ball.

Giuseppe
02-25-2012, 11:48 AM
^Pish posh.

K-State Spur
02-25-2012, 11:52 AM
As happy as I was with the Dice signing, I always thought Rasheed was a way better fit.

I'd say you were proven wrong.

Sheed's style of play in his prime would have fit better next to Duncan, but his contract STOLE money from Boston. He got fat, didn't play defense, & couldn't shoot (but kept throwing up shots from 3 anyways) - that's not a fit for anybody.

Dice's style might not have fit quite as well, but he came to play. His defense on Dirk was invaluable in beating the Mavs 2 years ago. That alone made the signing worthwhile.

pgardn
02-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh hell yes we know Pop loves Sheed. Especially in the finals when Larry Brown told him directly do not leave Robert Horry. Threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Yes indeed we need some of those smarts...

spurs10
02-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Wonder is Dawson will get to stick around? Seems to go after the boards and scored well with the Toros....

Spurs da champs
02-25-2012, 09:17 PM
While I didn't want Sheed I'm annoyed by how the Front Office is so timid in free agency.

dunkman
02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Why ? ? ?

Obstructed_View
02-26-2012, 12:50 PM
I'd say you were proven wrong.

Sheed's style of play in his prime would have fit better next to Duncan, but his contract STOLE money from Boston. He got fat, didn't play defense, & couldn't shoot (but kept throwing up shots from 3 anyways) - that's not a fit for anybody.

Dice's style might not have fit quite as well, but he came to play. His defense on Dirk was invaluable in beating the Mavs 2 years ago. That alone made the signing worthwhile.

Good post. If he was that useless two years ago, it's hard to believe how desperate the Lakers are to get him now.

DJ Mbenga
02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
i remember when y'all were heated when he went to the celtics. would have been a great fit. great post defense, space the floor as a black bonner.

widowmaker
02-26-2012, 03:06 PM
i remember when y'all were heated when he went to the celtics. would have been a great fit. great post defense, space the floor as a black bonner.

Yeah I remember that and thank god he didn't come here lol. I hope mike brown plays him 20 minutes a game.:lmao

Obstructed_View
02-26-2012, 06:08 PM
i remember when y'all were heated when he went to the celtics.

Yep, then he suited up. Then two years passed and the Lakers decided to grab him.

Josepatches_
02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I think an earlier poster mentioned this but I agree. Sheed's signing means Gasol is going.

If this is true then Lakers are more idiot than I can imagine.

You have to be crazy if you believe Sheed can play Gasol's role.

swaggerjackson
02-26-2012, 07:05 PM
I would not be surprised by this, especially if they end up dealing for Dwight Howard. The Lakers front office IMO has never been that smart. They get credited with being a great franchise and they are, but it is only because they buy big name players. The lakers never find a solid player late in the draft and develop him or sign a D-League player who emerges as a legitimate NBA player. They are doing what they always do, look for talent and big names on other teams. You almost can't blame them. If the Gasol trade (which I still believe the Lakers paid under the table or something) didn't fall into their lap they would be a middle of road franchise. They have never found a Ginobili, Neal, or Bowen they simply just use money to bully such players away from small market teams. I completely expect them to make such a move.