PDA

View Full Version : Is there anymore overrated job in America than "NBA Head Coach"...?

BUMP
02-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Sons I got to thinking the other day just how useless an NBA coach really is to a team, moreso than any other sport. This is because the NBA is so much more of a superstar league than any other. Only 5 guys on the court and anybody can touch the ball whenever they want to.

There's only 3 ways to get a superstar.

-Be an attractive city and draw big name free agents
-Be the lucky franchise that drafts a once in a generation type player (OKC)
-Be able to trade for better players because you have the above two.

So if a coach doesn't have these things then the only way a team can be a contender is if he implements some philosophy where players have to make sacrifices. And that will never happen since all these spoiled millionaires have to "get theirs" so they have a better chance at pulling Shaniqua at the club later that night. So basically his job is useless. IMO, whoever the fuck is coaching the Bobcats right now should just stay there for the next 20 years until they draft the next superstar because they're stuck until that happens and there's no point in having a revolving door of coaches

Leetonidas
02-25-2012, 02:11 PM
yeah

William Hung
02-25-2012, 02:12 PM
ool tory ra

mercos
02-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Superstars are nice to have but they are not enough. Look at Miami last year, or the Lakers before Phil came along. On the flip side look at the Detroit Pistons of the mid 2000s. They were devoid of a true superstar, but had great coaching. There are several teams in the NBA right now that I think could be doing much better than they are if they had better coaching.

Muser
02-25-2012, 03:01 PM
NBA Commentator/Analyst

Mal
02-25-2012, 03:24 PM
NBA Commentator/Analyst

/thread

Also tennis commentators. Andy Roddick said truth about them once.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 03:57 PM
No, NBA coaches are almost completely useless. People blaming or praising a coach for their teams' successes or failures is retarded. Like OP said its a superstar's league.

Goran Dragic
02-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Tbh baseball managers are less important than NBA head coaches

Baseball fags always say ":cry managing a baseball game is extremely difficult :cry" when it's not at all.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Tbh even baseball managers are more important imho. They have to manage 25 players and late in games is where they make their name, dialing up the right hitting/pitching matchups that ultimately decide the game.

The NBA coach's job is to basically tell leroy and jamal to pass the ball, defend their man, and put the ball in the basket. Tough job tbh

Goran Dragic
02-25-2012, 04:39 PM
They only "dial the right hitting or pitching" matchups to a certain extent. Aside from choosing a pinch hitter no more than a few times a game, they submit a lineup before the game and chew on sunflower seeds for the next 3 hours.

Ron Washington managed to be a successful manager while also being a coke head.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Coke enhances your job performance unless you're len bias. Lawrence Taylor did rails in the huddle before snapping qb's legs in half, but i digress.

The point is they're both practically useless but nba coaches are just completely unnecessary except for motivation. Just listen to any nba huddle during timeout. Its just a coach shouting cliches and generic bullshit that any retard would know.

Proxy
02-25-2012, 05:33 PM
You guys are just regular bums. Lol @ talking about something you know jack shit about.

Giuseppe
02-25-2012, 05:37 PM
"Mike McDermott's" case against BUMP's hypothesis...

Why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker EVERY YEAR? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas?

BUMP
02-25-2012, 06:08 PM
They only "dial the right hitting or pitching" matchups to a certain extent. Aside from choosing a pinch hitter no more than a few times a game, they submit a lineup before the game and chew on sunflower seeds for the next 3 hours.

Ron Washington managed to be a successful manager while also being a coke head.

imho even though baseball managers hardly do jack during the game, stuff like hit and runs at a crucial parts of the game can be the difference between winning and losing.

I agree that their job is also extremely overrated in terms of difficulty. :cry managing the National League is so much harder than managing in the American League :cry No its not, just put your best fucking pinch hitter in whenever you want to pull your pitcher

HarlemHeat37
02-25-2012, 06:42 PM
I agree to an extent, but not completely, tbh..

NBA coaches with good systems make a significant difference IMO..x's and o's play a minor factor, as well..

There are usually only around 5 or 6 good coaches the NBA, though, and the majority of the other coaches usually harm their teams more often than help, usually by over-coaching IMO..

Ultimately, superstars are the difference, especially with winning titles, but I don't think NBA coaches are useless..MLB coaches are much less important IMO..

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 08:47 PM
I'd still love to hear what NBA coaches do other than yell "That's a foul!" for 48 minutes.

They have the least impact of any coaches on a sport. Substitute, run 1 of only a handful of offenses, play man or zone on d, and call timeouts...Rinse, repeat. Some people think it's great coaching when you're demonstrative on the sideline and waving your hands like a madman. Sure, I guess.

If you want to make an argument that NBA coaches actually do something, then it's probably because the NBA has far and away the dumbest players (as a whole) of any of the major sports. They are typically uneducated, underprivileged african americans who probably can't spell their own names or understand basic plays--thus it appears like great coaching when they can execute a pick 'n roll or a double-team.

At the end of the day your superstars either show up and make their shots, or they don't.

Proxy
02-25-2012, 09:47 PM
I'd still love to hear what NBA coaches do other than yell "That's a foul!" for 48 minutes.

They have the least impact of any coaches on a sport. Substitute, run 1 of only a handful of offenses, play man or zone on d, and call timeouts...Rinse, repeat. Some people think it's great coaching when you're demonstrative on the sideline and waving your hands like a madman. Sure, I guess.

If you want to make an argument that NBA coaches actually do something, then it's probably because the NBA has far and away the dumbest players (as a whole) of any of the major sports. They are typically uneducated, underprivileged african americans who probably can't spell their own names or understand basic plays--thus it appears like great coaching when they can execute a pick 'n roll or a double-team.

At the end of the day your superstars either show up and make their shots, or they don't.

Well now I know you're one of two things; A fool or a troll.... an idiot either way.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Well now I know you're one of two things; A fool or a troll.... an idiot either way.

Oh, hi. Sorry you were ignored the first time around, hopefully this will help you understand why...

I now know you're one of two things; Someone who can't answer the OP's question or dispute the responses in this thread...or an insecure kid who feels the need to impress random strangers with meaningless quotes in his sig so he can justify the 50 grand daddeh shelled out for his psych degree.

A bland poster with no takes worth reading either way.

Goran Dragic
02-25-2012, 10:08 PM

This is why I think being an NBA head coach is harder than an MLB manager. NBA head coaches have to make sure their players actually show up to the game sober and make sure they aren't hung over.

Another overrated job is when an NFL head coach has two beast coordinators so he doesn't have to do jack shit, Raheem Morris being the best example of this. All he did was scream African battle cries during the huddles and Tampa's front office eventually realized he wasn't doing anything to actually help.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 10:14 PM
This is why I think being an NBA head coach is harder than an MLB manager. NBA head coaches have to make sure their players actually show up to the game sober and make sure they aren't hung over.

Another overrated job is when an NFL head coach has two beast coordinators so he doesn't have to do jack shit, Raheem Morris being the best example of this. All he did was scream African battle cries during the huddles and Tampa's front office eventually realized he wasn't doing anything to actually help.

Mike Tomlin too, imho. He'll just stare at players with googly eyes when they screw up. Having a great playmaker at QB in Big Ben, and an elite defense led by Dick LeBeau is the reason the Steelers have been great the last few years.

Nobody's worse than Jim Caldwell though. I still don't know what contributions he made to the Colts.

HarlemHeat37
02-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Coaches like Popovich, Larry Brown(until he stops giving a fuck),Phil Jackson(until he stops giving a fuck), etc, do make a difference IMO..they all have specific systems in place, that are proven at the NBA level..

There is a clear difference between those coaches, compared to guys like Mike Brown, for example..

The example of coaches that "scream and motivate" is true, I don't believe those coaches make an impact..tbh, these are mostly Black coaches like Doc Rivers and Byron Scott..

Does Phil Jackson win rings without Jordan, Pippen, Shaq and Bryant?..no, but I don't believe those teams win as many rings with Mike D'Antoni or Mike Brown at coach..

Goran Dragic
02-25-2012, 10:17 PM
:lol basically all the black NFL head coaches suck and don't do anything.

Goran Dragic
02-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Coaches like Popovich, Larry Brown(until he stops giving a fuck),Phil Jackson(until he stops giving a fuck), etc, do make a difference IMO..they all have specific systems in place, that are proven at the NBA level..

There is a clear difference between those coaches, compared to guys like Mike Brown, for example..

The example of coaches that "scream and motivate" is true, I don't believe those coaches make an impact..tbh, these are mostly Black coaches like Doc Rivers and Byron Scott..
Exactly tbh, Doc Rivers is an extremely overrated coach. Every huddle ESPN has where he's mic'ed all he says is, "ENERGY! DEFENSE!"

White coaches actually have contributions to make.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 10:21 PM

Unless you're Stan van Gundy, and just raving like a batshit crazy lunatic while chunks of baked potato fly out of your mouth

Hoops Czar
02-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Tbh even baseball managers are more important imho. They have to manage 25 players and late in games is where they make their name, dialing up the right hitting/pitching matchups that ultimately decide the game.

If your Joe Girardi, you have a computer do all that for you.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Phil Jackson was simply the best professional sports coach because he knew how to handle today's athletes. Too many coaches try the Bill Parcells hard-ass route, or pull a 180 and try to be a bff coach. Phil could handle all the egos and get them concentrated on one goal for 48 minutes, then they could hate each other afterward. Jordan and Cartwright hated each other. Kobe and Shaq had a visceral hatred for one another but still 3-peated.

You can't tell me the triangle offense is what made the difference for them cause it wasn't. Phil just knows when to speak and when to shut up.

Most NBA coaches don't know how to handle these nouveau-riche thuggin and buggin negroes. Phil did.

Giuseppe
02-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Phil Jackson was simply the best professional sports coach because he knew how to handle today's athletes. Too many coaches try the Bill Parcells hard-ass route, or pull a 180 and try to be a bff coach. Phil could handle all the egos and get them concentrated on one goal for 48 minutes, then they could hate each other afterward. Jordan and Cartwright hated each other. Kobe and Shaq had a visceral hatred for one another but still 3-peated.

You can't tell me the triangle offense is what made the difference for them cause it wasn't. Phil just knows when to speak and when to shut up.

Jackson also has to assume a goodly measure of blame for Daddy & Kobe's divorce. He was the adult in charge. Yes, they 3 peated, but, that is not the point. Phil failed. Just because Media decided to give him a pass doesn't relieve him of his culpability.

Hoops Czar
02-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Exactly tbh, Doc Rivers is an extremely overrated coach. Every huddle ESPN has where he's mic'ed all he says is, "ENERGY! DEFENSE!"

Thats all the mics are suppose to pick up. When the coach gives strategy, the mics have to be turned off or it would give a decided advantage to the opposing team especially if a member of the team was watching the broadcast.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 10:31 PM
If your Joe Girardi, you have a computer do all that for you.

Yeah, perhaps Ron Washington should've checked his iPhone before calling on Matt Harrison.

Proxy
02-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Oh, hi. Sorry you were ignored the first time around, hopefully this will help you understand why...

I now know you're one of two things; Someone who can't answer the OP's question or dispute the responses in this thread...or an insecure kid who feels the need to impress random strangers with meaningless quotes in his sig so he can justify the 50 grand daddeh shelled out for his psych degree.

A bland poster with no takes worth reading either way.

I'm actually both an insecure kid who gets trust funds to pay for my psych degree AND I'm unable to dispute the responses in this thread. I just wish I could be accepted by all of the really intelligent posters on this board.

I find it challenging to point out the obvious.

I mean, defensive adjustments in the playoffs aren't really that important. Calling a timeout during an opponent's run or letting them play is just guessing. Homecourt crowd doesn't have an effect, really.

Out of bounds plays... what's an open 3 pointer worth to a contested one in the end anyways, right?

Player fucks up... pulling or leaving him with regards to his mental confidence.... not a big deal.

Handling the minutes and solidifying a rotation during an 82 game season is easy peesy.

Letting a star player play with one foul left to give when you're down by ten with 8 minutes left to go in the 4th is not a hard decision to make when you think about it.

I've never heard of a coach improving shooting form in the history of the NBA.

Timeout to call down by 3 after getting the rebound with 12 seconds left... flip a coin.

Double an un-guardable player like Dirk and risk the team streaking, or live with his 42 points and growing confidence in a playoff series.

Defense? Every team plays great defense. Overrated tbh.

Coaches like Pop are stuck up for playing a defense that runs a little differently. Players like Brent Barry only have a hard time learning the Spurs system because they're uneducated blacks.

Phil had an easy time balancing the egos of Shaq and Kobe... I mean, he only got three rings out of something doomed to fall apart. It's easy to win with stars... just like the years the Lakers won with Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Peyton.... and don't forget Miami winning their rings last year with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh... stars are the only reason for winning in this league. Kincks are another great example. Melo, Baron, JR, Amare, Tyson, and Lin have translated to the superior record of 17-18. It has nothing to do with coaching, and everything to do with the stars, baby.

Proxy
02-25-2012, 10:45 PM
And game plans in the playoffs are easy. They only have to watch like 15 minutes of tape. It should be obvious.

Goran Dragic
02-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Unless you're Stan van Gundy, and just raving like a batshit crazy lunatic while chunks of baked potato fly out of your mouth
True. He's another coach who does nothing but yell ENERGY! DEFENSE! While the perimeter players on his team are chucking up 3s and ignoring Dwight.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Wow, what a list of unimpressive tasks you compiled.

I'm actually both an insecure kid who gets trust funds to pay for my psych degree AND I'm unable to dispute the responses in this thread. I just wish I could be accepted by all of the really intelligent posters on this board.

Don't be such a faggot and you won't have a problem.

I mean, defensive adjustments in the playoffs aren't really that important. Calling a timeout during an opponent's run or letting them play is just guessing. Homecourt crowd doesn't have an effect, really.

Are you fucking serious?:lmao Your defense of coaching is that they know when to call timeouts? Like every living soul who watches basketball doesn't know a timeouts coming when the other team scores 3-4 consecutive unanswered baskets. You're already off to a great start here:tu

Out of bounds plays... what's an open 3 pointer worth to a contested one in the end anyways, right?
Btw, your sarcasm schtick is lame and it shows me that the cunty insecure person you portray yourself to be online is actually who you are in real life. anyways...yes, let's get on our knees and slurp Pop b/c he can get his guys to inbound a basketball to an open man.

Player fucks up... pulling or leaving him with regards to his mental confidence.... not a big deal.
another :lmao "coaching quality." Name one other major sporting coach that doesn't have to deal with this--AND on a larger scale/more players.

Handling the minutes and solidifying a rotation during an 82 game season is easy peesy.

"easy peesy"...holy hell, you truly are a faggot. "Omg, he has to solidify a 12-man rotation. Phil Jackson kept the same fucking rotations and rest for his stars forever. You knew Kobe would play all but the end of quarters, and sit for the first 5-6 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters, like clockwork....but no, it's oh so difficult!:cry"

Letting a star player play with one foul left to give when you're down by ten with 8 minutes left to go in the 4th is not a hard decision to make when you think about it.

If he has 5 fouls with 8 minutes to go then you failed him as a coach already:lmao

I've never heard of a coach improving shooting form in the history of the NBA.

If they truly made a difference then Shaq would've figured out FT's. Cross another lame point off the list.

Timeout to call down by 3 after getting the rebound with 12 seconds left... flip a coin.

Yeah, that's a really difficult decision. Now you're just reaching for shit.

Double an un-guardable player like Dirk and risk the team streaking, or live with his 42 points and growing confidence in a playoff series.

Umm, yeah...thanks for proving my point how easy it is. He only has 2 choices. If one doesn't work, you have more games to try the alternative. If that doesn't work, then great players>>>>coaching, like we've been saying, dumbass.

Defense? Every team plays great defense. Overrated tbh.

If you have the personnel to play great defense, you usually play it.

Coaches like Pop are stuck up for playing a defense that runs a little differently. Players like Brent Barry only have a hard time learning the Spurs system because they're uneducated blacks.

Do you even know what you're talking about with this particular part?

Phil had an easy time balancing the egos of Shaq and Kobe... I mean, he only got three rings out of something doomed to fall apart. It's easy to win with stars... just like the years the Lakers won with Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Peyton.... and don't forget Miami winning their rings last year with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh... stars are the only reason for winning in this league. Kincks are another great example. Melo, Baron, JR, Amare, Tyson, and Lin have translated to the superior record of 17-18. It has nothing to do with coaching, and everything to do with the stars, baby.

Great players>>>>great coaching. What that means is when they're both at their best, great players take a wet shit on coaches. It's not Spo's fault or RC's genius that made LeBron James shrivel up in the waning moments of the Finals on 3 consecutive nights. The Knicks are playing well with Jeremy Lin as starter too, and those Lakers made it to the Finals. So your best argument is 2 teams who made it to the Finals in their first year together (Payton and Mailman with LA, superfriends in Miami). Great argument, champ.:tu

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-25-2012, 11:25 PM
And game plans in the playoffs are easy. They only have to watch like 15 minutes of tape. It should be obvious.

Since we're naming every arbitrary task in the book now...

and setting the thermostat in the film room is easy. Never mind that if you set it too warm it makes the players sleepy. I'm sure that's unimportant.

and having the players shoot lay-up drills in pregame is unimportant, rust is overrated.

and choosing the right flavor gatorade is not essential at all. all the players like lemon-lime, right?

and telling them which basket to score on is overrated too i guess, huh?

and round and round we go

MavDynasty
02-25-2012, 11:42 PM
My NIGGA Ryan taking a wet dirty shit all over proxy

Proxy
02-26-2012, 02:43 AM
Since we're naming every arbitrary task in the book now...

and setting the thermostat in the film room is easy. Never mind that if you set it too warm it makes the players sleepy. I'm sure that's unimportant.

and having the players shoot lay-up drills in pregame is unimportant, rust is overrated.

and choosing the right flavor gatorade is not essential at all. all the players like lemon-lime, right?

and telling them which basket to score on is overrated too i guess, huh?

and round and round we go

Round and round we go... and you just continue to play this game where you give your baseless opinion on something you can only imagine. I give you reasons that can be seen only on the surface of what the media gives, and you act like more should be known. There is no validity to anything you're saying. It's just you thinking it's easy. It's you voicing your sole egotistical opinion instead of looking at what common sense tells us. Are owners just turning bums into millionaires for no apparent reason... if we are to take your opinions seriously, then that's the reality.

The unfortunate reality is that the bums on this board can't go become millionaires by coaching an NBA team. Sit on the curb and say, "Well shit, I can stand there and yell at the players... I do that at the bar every night!"

They don't know anymore than the devoted fan. The analysts on ESPN are as capable of coaching. Charles Barkley can coach the Lakers.

Yeah, I don't think so. Nice try though, but you're denying a lot of common sense and making assumptions on the parts that are hidden from public observation. I know you want to think you're basketball IQ is higher than the Van Gundy bros, but you're going to have to face the harsh reality of that fat annoying Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_ of a man and his midget bald sibling will always have more nba smarts and more money than you'll ever know or see.

Latarian Milton
02-26-2012, 05:18 AM
if you have an idiot like d'antonie as your head coach you ain't never winnin shit despite what players you have, so it IS a big deal imho

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Round and round we go... and you just continue to play this game where you give your baseless opinion on something you can only imagine. I give you reasons that can be seen only on the surface of what the media gives, and you act like more should be known. There is no validity to anything you're saying. It's just you thinking it's easy. It's you voicing your sole egotistical opinion instead of looking at what common sense tells us. Are owners just turning bums into millionaires for no apparent reason... if we are to take your opinions seriously, then that's the reality.

The unfortunate reality is that the bums on this board can't go become millionaires by coaching an NBA team. Sit on the curb and say, "Well shit, I can stand there and yell at the players... I do that at the bar every night!"

They don't know anymore than the devoted fan. The analysts on ESPN are as capable of coaching. Charles Barkley can coach the Lakers.

Yeah, I don't think so. Nice try though, but you're denying a lot of common sense and making assumptions on the parts that are hidden from public observation. I know you want to think you're basketball IQ is higher than the Van Gundy bros, but you're going to have to face the harsh reality of that fat annoying Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_ of a man and his midget bald sibling will always have more nba smarts and more money than you'll ever know or see.

You continue to look retarded by defending NBA coaches tooth and nail over what is the easiest job in professional sports. Your agenda is pretty clear now though, since you're obviously defending the honor of your pock-faced hero to make him look like some great basketball mind.

Yes, it takes a lot of genius to win titles with the best power forward to ever play (in his prime), a great wing player and PG, and one of the best perimeter defenders ever (who Riley discovered, not Pop btw). Since winning in 2007 though the Spurs have gotten older, Horry and Bowen have retired, and they've been embarrassed in the playoffs the last 3 years at the hands of weak playoff teams. What happened? Oh yeah, his stars got old and brittle.

I'm sorry, but listing banal tasks like "knowing when to call timeouts" is fucking laughable, and is common sense knowledge to anybody who's watched the NBA for even a week. Drawing up an inbounds pass or calling one of a handful of basketball offensive plays in existence is not genius. Coaches do it at the middle and high school levels too. The difference is they're not dealing with multimillion dollar egos.

and lol at "turning bums into millionaires."--definitely your dumbest comment of the thread, and that's saying something. Yes, getting former players or proteges of former coaches is really scouring the country and turning bums into millionaires. The NBA coach is a babysitter, and if he can keep his stars' egos in line and his players out of the drunktank, then he's considered successful,

It's not surprising that you have an over-inflated sense of worth of NBA head coaches though, due to the choices you've made in your life. The NBA coach is about as meaningless as a BA in Psychology, which will net you a cashier's job at Starbucks or maybe a substitute teacher position if you play your cards right.

jacobdrj
02-26-2012, 01:46 PM
NBA Head Coaches have 2 distinct jobs: Game management. Ego Management. Thats it. Soem coaches in the NBA are good at one or the other. Only a select few are good at both... The rest either do nothing or straight up hurt their teams...

A coach who personifies exceptional ego management skills and at the same time hurts his team with his game management decisions is Rick Adleman.

An example of a coach who manages a game exceptionally, but can't get along with any of his players, for the life of him, could be Avery Johnson.

Examples of coaches who know when to call a time out (you know, before your 20 point lead has evaporated to a 2 point deficit), and then make an adjustment that has an effect, and at the same time can manage even the largest egos is an exclusive group, consisting of pretty much just Rick Carlisle and formerly Larry Bird, and Phil Jackson.

Planning, schemes, defensive/offensive philosophy, that is all up to the assistant coaches/coordinators. Guys like Tex Winters, John Kuster, and Kevin O'Neill.

Guys who just hurt their teams with their ineptitude, have no ability to make any in-game adjustments, and just seem to let their players do whatever the hell they want, to the detriment of the team, include guys like Mike D'Antoni, and formerly Tim Floyd.

BUMP
02-26-2012, 02:09 PM
imho the only time an NBA head coaching change is needed is when you have an elite team that doesn't respect their coach and can't win a title.

Once this Knicks team underachieves in the playoffs then you fire Mike D'Antoni and bring in a Phil Jackson-type to handle the rest.

That's the ONLY time I feel a coaching change is ever needed. If you stick Phil Jackson out in Milwaukee/Utah, neither team is going to do any better than if I coached them

jacobdrj
02-26-2012, 02:11 PM
imho the only time an NBA head coaching change is needed is when you have an elite team that doesn't respect their coach and can't win a title.

Once this Knicks team underachieves in the playoffs then you fire Mike D'Antoni and bring in a Phil Jackson-type to handle the rest.

That's the ONLY time I feel a coaching change is ever needed. If you stick Phil Jackson out in Milwaukee/Utah, neither team is going to do any better than if I coached them

Before 2007 I would agree. But I think we saw that the same team that Rudy Tomjonavic coached (lacking Shaq) didn't even make the playoffs. But the next year with P-Jax, he took that SAME TEAM, and almost upset a much better Phoenix team.

P-Jax would be an upgrade, if only for his credibility, over almost any coach in the NBA.

BUMP
02-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Oh there's no doubt that Phil Jackson coming in and coaching a team would be an upgrade in terms of wins and losses. But that Lakers team was still first round fodder two years in a row and were still nowhere close to contending, even in such a weak era

Proxy
02-26-2012, 04:10 PM
You continue to look retarded by defending NBA coaches tooth and nail over what is the easiest job in professional sports. Your agenda is pretty clear now though, since you're obviously defending the honor of your pock-faced hero to make him look like some great basketball mind.

Yes, it takes a lot of genius to win titles with the best power forward to ever play (in his prime), a great wing player and PG, and one of the best perimeter defenders ever (who Riley discovered, not Pop btw). Since winning in 2007 though the Spurs have gotten older, Horry and Bowen have retired, and they've been embarrassed in the playoffs the last 3 years at the hands of weak playoff teams. What happened? Oh yeah, his stars got old and brittle.

I'm sorry, but listing banal tasks like "knowing when to call timeouts" is fucking laughable, and is common sense knowledge to anybody who's watched the NBA for even a week. Drawing up an inbounds pass or calling one of a handful of basketball offensive plays in existence is not genius. Coaches do it at the middle and high school levels too. The difference is they're not dealing with multimillion dollar egos.

and lol at "turning bums into millionaires."--definitely your dumbest comment of the thread, and that's saying something. Yes, getting former players or proteges of former coaches is really scouring the country and turning bums into millionaires. The NBA coach is a babysitter, and if he can keep his stars' egos in line and his players out of the drunktank, then he's considered successful,

It's not surprising that you have an over-inflated sense of worth of NBA head coaches though, due to the choices you've made in your life. The NBA coach is about as meaningless as a BA in Psychology, which will net you a cashier's job at Starbucks or maybe a substitute teacher position if you play your cards right.

So now we're saying a high school coach calls as good of inbounds plays as professional NBA coaches? Maybe my evident BA in psych clouds my mind, but I think that's fucking hilarious. I'll go ahead and assume you're actually a Suns fan, and in that case it's understandable that you have such a vendetta against coaches when you had D'Antoni ruining the franchise.

Not going on a limb in using him as an example of shit coaching, but it was easy to notice the discrepancy between Pop's team and Mike's team. You had an offensive juggernaut against a defensive juggernaut. One team made adjustments and the other one didn't. The Spurs were able to beat the Suns at their own game. Both teams had equal talent. Where does the babysitting and high school coaching knowledge come into play on SA's side? You would have a point for Mike though. Hopefully he gave his COY to Nash.

How exactly does Dallas turn from a soft offensive team to a defensive minded franchise? The transition in coaching from Don Nelson to Avery and now Carlisle had a significant amount to do with it.

And the "bums to millionaires" thing... I was making fun of you. You didn't catch that. I assume from your viewpoint, Lawrence Frank and Tom Thibodeau must've gotten some really great babysitting techniques from the great "coaches" they learned from... Changing diapers and calling high school inbounds plays. I'm sure everyone is just playing motion offense and getting wide open 3's from baseline screens off the inbounds. They usually forget about the inbounds passer... and the trick plays like having Metta World Peace get on all fours and start barking like a dog so the distraction leaves Bynum for a wide open dunk. Guard their right since they can't dribble with their left kind of shit.

No one is sitting here thinking Pop and Phil get props and Duncan and Kobe were their pawns. Then again, no one is sitting here stating Larry Brown's success with completely different teams on different levels including a starless Piston's team as babysitting with a high school playbook either... except for you I guess. Your ego lets you say some ridiculous shit.

Trill Clinton
02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
So now we're saying a high school coach calls as good of inbounds plays as professional NBA coaches? Maybe my evident BA in psych clouds my mind, but I think that's fucking hilarious. I'll go ahead and assume you're actually a Suns fan, and in that case it's understandable that you have such a vendetta against coaches when you had D'Antoni ruining the franchise.

Not going on a limb in using him as an example of shit coaching, but it was easy to notice the discrepancy between Pop's team and Mike's team. You had an offensive juggernaut against a defensive juggernaut. One team made adjustments and the other one didn't. The Spurs were able to beat the Suns at their own game. Both teams had equal talent. Where does the babysitting and high school coaching knowledge come into play on SA's side? You would have a point for Mike though. Hopefully he gave his COY to Nash.

How exactly does Dallas turn from a soft offensive team to a defensive minded franchise? The transition in coaching from Don Nelson to Avery and now Carlisle had a significant amount to do with it.

And the "bums to millionaires" thing... I was making fun of you. You didn't catch that. I assume from your viewpoint, Lawrence Frank and Tom Thibodeau must've gotten some really great babysitting techniques from the great "coaches" they learned from... Changing diapers and calling high school inbounds plays. I'm sure everyone is just playing motion offense and getting wide open 3's from baseline screens off the inbounds. They usually forget about the inbounds passer... and the trick plays like having Metta World Peace get on all fours and start barking like a dog so the distraction leaves Bynum for a wide open dunk. Guard their right since they can't dribble with their left kind of shit.

No one is sitting here thinking Pop and Phil get props and Duncan and Kobe were their pawns. Then again, no one is sitting here stating Larry Brown's success with completely different teams on different levels including a starless Piston's team as babysitting with a high school playbook either... except for you I guess. Your ego lets you say some ridiculous shit.

save your keystrokes, bruh. its obvious he has no clue what the hell he's talking about.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Another block of shit from you...no surprise there. I've seriously never seen someone cream their pants over an inbounds pass like you do. YES, YOU'RE TAUGHT AT THE MS/HS LEVEL HOW TO EXECUTE SIMPLE SHIT LIKE THAT--IF YOU HAVEN'T IMPROVED ON THAT BY THE TIME YOU'RE A PRO THEN YOU'RE A FUCKING RETARD.

Maybe you're right with all these amazing coaching tasks, though. Just the other day I was at a bar with a couple buddies watching the Heat-Knicks game, and when the Knicks went on an 8-0 run, Spo called timeout. I turned to my friend and said, "Damn, that was a helluva timeout!"

Also, good job making a bigger fool out of yourself by saying the Suns had as much talent as the Spurs:lmao. The only year that flies is 2005, but Joe Johnson had his eye gouged out in that series early on. In 2007, Tim Donaghy in Game 3 and Robert Horry in Game 4 say Hi. Raja Bell was also their only true defender on the team. The Spurs had 2 ELITE defensive players in Bowen and Duncan. If you cite 2008 with a last leg-Shaq then I'm going to laugh at you. Don't ever say stupid shit like that again.

How did Dallas change from soft chokers (which is what they were up until last year with RC) to champs? Good perimeter D with Kidd, Linc, and Marion--but most importantly by far--Tyson Chandler on the inside.

You're enamored with the simplest of things, which means you're a simple person with a simple mind. Lawrence Frank and Tom Thibodeau haven't done shit as HC's but get their asses beat by teams with superstars--THANKS FOR PROVING MY POINT AGAIN.

Hey, Byron Scott took a defunct franchise to back to back NBA Finals!...He must be good!

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-26-2012, 04:36 PM
save your keystrokes, bruh. its obvious he has no clue what the hell he's talking about.

Your opinion is biased b/c a coach is the only father figure in your life.

#41 Shoot Em Up
02-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Don't know much about the NBA in all honesty but this thread is stupid.

:lol

Goran Dragic
02-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Your opinion is biased b/c a coach is the only father figure in your life.
:lmao

Goran Dragic
02-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Before 2007 I would agree. But I think we saw that the same team that Rudy Tomjonavic coached (lacking Shaq) didn't even make the playoffs. But the next year with P-Jax, he took that SAME TEAM, and almost upset a much better Phoenix team.

P-Jax would be an upgrade, if only for his credibility, over almost any coach in the NBA.
He didn't take the same team.

First off, Rudy T was 24-19 with that team. If he didn't get fed up with dealing with Kobe and quit in the middle of the season, that team is on pace for 45-46 wins. More important, Kobe and Odom played 66 and 64 games respectively that year. The next year with Phil they each played 80 games. When they're by far the two best players on the team, that difference in games played is huge. The 2005 Lakers would not have made the playoffs regardless of the coach given Kobe an Odom missing games and also how much that team grossly underestimated the adjustment it would have to make without Shaq.