PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Kindle Touch?

Pero
02-25-2012, 05:14 PM
With Amazon shipping Kindle internationally I've been thinking of getting one. Wanted to get Kindle Touch but after reading reviews I'm not so sure anymore. Some say it's not much of an upgrade over Kindle and one important thing (to me) is that it seems it's worse than the basic Kindle for reading PDFs due to it not having the landscape option. And my main interest is reading books, including books in PDF format (some of which are just scans). Mp3 player and other "experimental" options of the Kindle Touch are not important to me. Touch has better battery and more memory which would be great but they're not necessarily deal-breakers for me.

So I wanted to ask you guys which one would you recommend? Would it be stupid to get the basic Kindle just because of the landscape mode?

Also what are your experiences with Kindle in general?

P.S.: Don't want to get Kindle Keyboard 3G because it's a bit too expensive for me, unless if it's just that much better than either of the above. Oh and if anyone wants to recommend something other than Kindle, remember that I'm in Europe... :)

IronMaxipad
02-25-2012, 06:12 PM
I have a Kindle Touch. It's pretty awesome though i don't use it for PDF's so can't help you out there. But with Calibre you can pretty much convert any file to .mobi.

What books are you reading that are in pdf? You could probably find a similar version of that book in a different ebook format and easly convert it to the kindle file type.

There is also a Landscape hack if you root your kindle. And then there's always the possibility of it being released in a future firmware update.

The extra space and battery life alone were worth the $20 dollar price difference imo. And having a touch screen really comes in handy when using features like the dictionary or highlighting text to take notes.

And since you are from Europe there's also a trick where you can purchase Kindle books from the American kindle store.

"Changing your country of residence works for anything in the Amazon store. If there are Kindle books only available in the U.S. and not in Canada but you live in Canada and want the book, change your address to a U.S. one, buy the book, then change it back. Vice versa too. Sometimes a book will be a lower price in the Canadian (or US) store and I'll pick the lower price one by changing my address. I have no idea why they let you get away with this, but I'm not complaining."

^ that also works if you're in Europe

Udokafan05
02-25-2012, 06:15 PM
The Kindle 3g is ok. Recently got the Kindle Fire and love it, well worth the $200.

td_tp_manu
02-25-2012, 09:18 PM
I recommend Kindle, especially the latest model with only 79 dollars with ads. It's probably because I seldom make notes when I read - but if neither do you then this model is really nice and convenient. There's no need for a touch screen or keyboard really. I no longer use my iPad to read because kindle is much lighter and makes my eyes feel comfortable. Enjoy!

Pero
02-26-2012, 04:26 AM
I have a Kindle Touch. It's pretty awesome though i don't use it for PDF's so can't help you out there. But with Calibre you can pretty much convert any file to .mobi.

What books are you reading that are in pdf? You could probably find a similar version of that book in a different ebook format and easly convert it to the kindle file type.
Yeah those are some options but for example I have some chemistry books that are scans only. But I guess I'll have to check how many other PDFs that aren't text only I actually have. Perhaps not enough to be an issue.

The extra space and battery life alone were worth the $20 dollar price difference imo. And having a touch screen really comes in handy when using features like the dictionary or highlighting text to take notes.

How's the touch screen like? Works well?

Pero
02-26-2012, 04:36 AM
The Kindle 3g is ok. Recently got the Kindle Fire and love it, well worth the $200.

But Kindle Fire doesn't have E-Ink. I think it also doesn't ship to Europe.

I recommend Kindle, especially the latest model with only 79 dollars with ads. It's probably because I seldom make notes when I read - but if neither do you then this model is really nice and convenient. There's no need for a touch screen or keyboard really. I no longer use my iPad to read because kindle is much lighter and makes my eyes feel comfortable. Enjoy!
In general I don't make many notes either, but the dictionary feature seems a lot easier to use on the Touch. And this I'd probably use quite a bit since English isn't my first language. Though my English is fairly good, in books I sometimes encounter more rarely used words which I don't know and I'm too lazy to look them up haha. So just pressing on the word to see the meaning would be great. Oh, the ads version is for US only unfortunately.

Slomo
02-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Pero,

I have used e-ink readers for over 10 years now and I currently use a Kindle 3G for my reading. I love it and it is the best reader I've owned mainly because of the big catalogue of books on amazon.com, open for non DRM materials and excellent battery life (I basically charge it once every three weeks).

Now the bad news: it is not great for scanned pdfs, non of the e-ink readers I've seen are. Text is OK, but the moment you have graphics (in my case electronic schemes or flowcharts) it becomes a problem. One of the big problems IMO is that a scanned A4 page has to be compressed in size a lot in order to fit on the screen.

If you want you can email me one of your pdfs and we can go for a coffee and you'll see how it looks on my kindle.

For pdfs I use my iPad, the resolution, colors and fast and intuitive zoom/navigation controls are ideal for this. Of course it also has it draw backs (price and battery life) which is why I am not getting rid of my kindle anytime soon for pure reading.

Koolaid_Man
02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Pero,

I have used e-ink readers for over 10 years now and I currently use a Kindle 3G for my reading. I love it and it is the best reader I've owned mainly because of the big catalogue of books on amazon.com, open for non DRM materials and excellent battery life (I basically charge it once every three weeks).

Now the bad news: it is not great for scanned pdfs, non of the e-ink readers I've seen are. Text is OK, but the moment you have graphics (in my case electronic schemes or flowcharts) it becomes a problem. One of the big problems IMO is that a scanned A4 page has to be compressed in size a lot in order to fit on the screen.

If you want you can email me one of your pdfs and we can go for a coffee and you'll see how it looks on my kindle.

For pdfs I use my iPad, the resolution, colors and fast and intuitive zoom/navigation controls are ideal for this. Of course it also has it draw backs (price and battery life) which is why I am not getting rid of my kindle anytime soon for pure reading.

Keywords: email, pdf, we can, kindle, coffee = a very homoerotic conversation...:lol unless of course Pero is a woman then I'd expect the name to be Pera...

Slomo
02-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Word of advice if a girl tells you her name is Pera, you might get a nasty surprise.

OTOH seen how much time you spend thinking about homosexuality meeting a Pera might just be the thing for you.

Koolaid_Man
02-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Word of advice if a girl tells you her name is Pera, you might get a nasty surprise.

OTOH seen how much time you spend thinking about homosexuality meeting a Pera might just be the thing for you.

I didn't mean to offend you Slomo...not at all just think it to be quite comical to be asking a guy out on a coffee date to go over some kindle pdf's....:lol I think it's hilariously funny...:lol

so where would you meet? Starbucks or Crispy Creme...

Slomo
02-26-2012, 09:23 AM
I didn't mean to offend you Slomo...not at all just think it to be quite comical to be asking a guy out on a coffee date to go over some kindle pdf's....:lol I think it's hilariously funny...:lol

so where would you meet? Starbucks or Crispy Creme...

Oh I know and it was kinda of funny but it was not the first thought that popped in my head after re-reading it.

Is it weird for two guys to meet for a coffee? It happens all the time here. For example if I need to borrow something from a friend who doesn't live close by, it is more social (even polite) to at least buy him a coffee for the trouble (provided you're not borrowing some huge garden tools, which would look weird in a coffee shop). The alternative is of course to go for a couple of beers, but that's usually reserved for friends (for those you actually know they drink alcohol) - people you don't know you invite for coffee.

Even to discuss business or other stuff it's kinda the automatic thing to do.

What would you do?

Slomo
02-26-2012, 09:26 AM
But to get back on topic for a second.

Do other kindle owners agree with me on the pdf stuff?

Pero
02-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Pero,

Is that Kindle Touch 3G?

I went through my PDFs a bit and found that the scanned ones are actually in the minority. The other PDFs are mostly text only and if it doesn't work well on Kindle I tried converting some with Calibre to mobi and it seems like it should be fine that way. I was worrying too much I guess hehe. But thanks a lot for the offer!

I didn't think it was strange for two guys to meet for a coffee BTW. But I still LOLed at Koolaid's post (possibly a first, that).

Pero
02-26-2012, 10:05 AM
But to get back on topic for a second.

Do other kindle owners agree with me on the pdf stuff?

I've been reading reviews on the net and if this came up people said more or less the same thing.

Slomo
02-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Is that Kindle Touch 3G?

yes

I went through my PDFs a bit and found that the scanned ones are actually in the minority. The other PDFs are mostly text only and if it doesn't work well on Kindle I tried converting some with Calibre to mobi and it seems like it should be fine that way. I was worrying too much I guess hehe. But thanks a lot for the offer!

pdfs made out of text with acrobat or similar software (not scanned) are fine. The scanned ones are the ones that are a potential problem.

Pero
02-26-2012, 10:45 AM
yes

What's the touch screen like? Does it a lot of getting used to?

Pero
02-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Oh btw, have you tried reading google books on it or books on scribd?

Slomo
02-26-2012, 01:42 PM
What's the touch screen like? Does it a lot of getting used to?
Sorry misread your question I have the 3G. Not touch.

Any books that are recognized by Callibre are fine. I transferred my old collection of epubs and .lit books to my kindle without problems and noticeable differences between versions.

Pero
02-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Sorry misread your question I have the 3G. Not touch.
Oh. Is that one of the older Kindles? Because I can't find Kindle 3G on Amazon. Just Kindle Touch 3G and Kindle Keyboard 3G.

DJ Mbenga
02-26-2012, 02:57 PM
interested in a kindle. have a ton of books but reading on a screen it sucks. eyes suffer

IronMaxipad
02-26-2012, 04:11 PM
interested in a kindle. have a ton of books but reading on a screen it sucks. eyes suffer

You need to try an e-ink screen. Your eyes will not suffer, this isn't a lcd screen.

Pero
02-26-2012, 04:42 PM
So I just ordered the Kindle Touch. :D
I hope I won't be disappointed hehe.

Pero
02-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Oh another question popped into my mind. Slomo, did you have to pay any additional import fees here? Or was what Amazon charged for it sufficient?

Koolaid_Man
02-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Oh I know and it was kinda of funny but it was not the first thought that popped in my head after re-reading it.

Is it weird for two guys to meet for a coffee? It happens all the time here. For example if I need to borrow something from a friend who doesn't live close by, it is more social (even polite) to at least buy him a coffee for the trouble (provided you're not borrowing some huge garden tools, which would look weird in a coffee shop). The alternative is of course to go for a couple of beers, but that's usually reserved for friends (for those you actually know they drink alcohol) - people you don't know you invite for coffee.

Even to discuss business or other stuff it's kinda the automatic thing to do.

What would you do?

To be fair...I've meet up with some of my homies at starbucks before but it wasn't to drink coffee...it was to pick up cash on a bet or discuss Ho's over a Lemonade iced tea...:lol

Slomo
02-27-2012, 06:18 AM
You need to try an e-ink screen. Your eyes will not suffer, this isn't a lcd screen.

very true. I can't read for a longer time from any back lit screen. e-ink screen are really very similar to printed paper.

Oh another question popped into my mind. Slomo, did you have to pay any additional import fees here? Or was what Amazon charged for it sufficient?

Since the unit is shipped from the US (I think they still are) you'll have to go through the importation process. The most expensive part is the VAT, importation duties were negligible. And then there's a fix cost for the customs office.

The fastest way is to go to the main post office in Ljubljana when you receive their notice and take the amazon invoice with you and you'll walk away with the kindle 10 minutes later.

Pero
02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Since the unit is shipped from the US (I think they still are) you'll have to go through the importation process. The most expensive part is the VAT, importation duties were negligible. And then there's a fix cost for the customs office.

The fastest way is to go to the main post office in Ljubljana when you receive their notice and take the amazon invoice with you and you'll walk away with the kindle 10 minutes later.
Damn it, I didn't know this. Thanks for telling me, probably would've been a bit shocked/pissed that it didn't come straight to my home.

Opinionater
02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I've used both and IMHO, the Kindle 3G is the way to go.

Pero
03-01-2012, 12:09 PM
So I already got the Touch. Didn't have to pay anything extra, my Amazon import fees deposit covered it all. Also, didn't have to pick it up, they brought it to my home. Got an email notification two days ago about it and just had to fill a statement and send it back over e-mail. As for the Touch, I've only played with it for about 45 minutes but so far I love it. :D

Slomo
03-01-2012, 03:57 PM
...my Amazon import fees deposit covered it all....

I'm not familiar with those.

Congrats and good reading!