PDA

View Full Version : LA Clippers a chance to win the NBA Championship ?

AidanNelson2009
02-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Does anyone think the Clippers are real contenders ? IMO, i think they are right in it and are a very good chance of winning this years NBA Championship. The loss of Billups will obviously hurt them, but they are looking really good and C. Paul (Who i think will win this year's MVP) has been fantastic along with Griffen.

Best teams this season and most likely to win the championship:

Miami Heat
Oklahoma City Thunder
San Antonio Spurs
Los Langeles Clippers
Chicago Bulls

Then you have:

Los Angleles Lakers
Dallas Mavericks
Indiana Pacers
Orlando Magic
Philadelphia 76ers
New York Knicks
Boston Celtcis

These teams are not good enough to challenge this season.

irishock
02-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Both the Clippers and the Thunder have no chance against the experience of the Mavs or Spurs. The Western champion will be one of those Texan teams.

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Not yet..

No bench..Griffin can't create his own offense at a superstar level on a consistent basis..their coach is a liability..

They only have 2 consistent scorers, and neither of them are elite scorers..

MattBonnerExperience
02-26-2012, 12:06 AM
The clippers have a real chance to win this year, all they have to do is win 4 series in a row just like everyone else.

rayjayjohnson
02-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Knicks. lol

Hoops Czar
02-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Not yet..

No bench..Griffin can't create his own offense at a superstar level on a consistent basis..their coach is a liability..

They only have 2 consistent scorers, and neither of them are elite scorers..

Their two primary scorers are averaging 21.4 and 19.4 respectively. Griffen can score at will while paul is one of the best passers in the game. They have 4 players averaging double figures in scoring and thats not including Martin who will be the fifth by season's end. And you of all people shouldn't be ratting on the head coach. How does he differ at all from Spo, if you want to talk about libilities that is.

The only reason the Clippers can't win is because they have little playoff experience and more experienced like the Mavs and Spurs will use that to their advantage.

Spur_Fanatic
02-26-2012, 01:32 AM
In order:

Mavs (Dirk is that good)
Thunder (maybe not experienced, but Durant/West/Harden/Ibaka is a lot of help)
Spurs (and only in 3rd spot with a healthy Manu)
Lakers (Kobe/Gasol/Bynum is enough, lack of PG or good coach is a problem, though)
Clippers (I've not seen them much to comment on them)
Wolves (they may put a surprise)

Frenzy
02-26-2012, 02:25 AM
Pay your dues first.

100%duncan
02-26-2012, 04:42 AM
this can't be a serious thread

Latarian Milton
02-26-2012, 05:52 AM
yes and the western championship should be the only realistic target for dem all western teams tbh, NBA championship is a LOCKED one for us this year

Sportcamper
02-26-2012, 10:37 AM
NOT...They are still The Clippers...

JamStone
02-26-2012, 11:27 AM
No, not real contenders imo. They have a lot of nice pieces though, and they do have some veteran experience with CP3, Mo Williams, Caron, and now K-Mart. I think they need some perimeter depth out on the wing when they face a team like OKC with their explosive perimeter guys, Durant/Westbrook/Harden. Caron Butler is really their only solid wing player and he's older now. And they don't really have someone to match-up against Dirk if and when Dallas gets it together by the playoffs.

To me, it's still Miami as the clear favorite, then Chicago and OKC. I think the Mavs and Lakers still have a chance after those 3, but age and health can play a role how far they get so they may need some luck staying healthy and avoiding certain match-ups. I think the NBA champion this season will be one of those 5 teams.

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Their two primary scorers are averaging 21.4 and 19.4 respectively. Griffen can score at will while paul is one of the best passers in the game. They have 4 players averaging double figures in scoring and thats not including Martin who will be the fifth by season's end. And you of all people shouldn't be ratting on the head coach. How does he differ at all from Spo, if you want to talk about libilities that is.

The only reason the Clippers can't win is because they have little playoff experience and more experienced like the Mavs and Spurs will use that to their advantage.

Neither Griffin, nor Paul, are elite scorers, this is a fact..

Blake Griffin often goes stretches where he has trouble scoring for himself, which will be emphasized during the playoffs, especially against certain teams..in regards to scoring for himself, he's on the Chris Bosh level..

Paul is an elite player, but he's passive, by nature..this was the case, all throughout his Hornets career, where he didn't step up to score, when it was needed..

Players like Butler and Williams are good scorers, but not good enough to negate the Clippers' lack of elite scorers and frontcourt depth IMO..

As for coaching, Spo is a liability(as I said all of last year), but at least he has a niche, as a defensive coach with a good system..it also doesn't hurt to have 2 top 5 players and another top 5-7 big..Del Negro has no system and very little coaching ability, which compounds the issue on an inexperienced team..

The loss of Billups has an impact in that regard, as well, as they will miss his veteran presence..

Goran Dragic
02-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Best player being a PG = non-contenders tbh

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2012, 12:10 PM
In the NBA, unless you have an elite defense(Clippers have a below average D), you need an elite scorer or top 3 player(which the Clippers don't have), or if you want to follow the lucky route(which doesn't usually work), an elite shooting team that can get hot(the Clippers are an average 3-point shooting team)..

I don't see it..

2011 Mavs had Dirk + shooters + a good defense
2010 Lakers had Kobe + an elite defense
2009 Lakers had Kobe + an elite defense
2008 Celtics had a historic defense
2007 Spurs had Duncan + an elite defense

You can go on..there are very few exceptions to the rule..

Goran Dragic
02-26-2012, 12:11 PM
There's also the rule your best player can't be a PG.

There have been no exceptions to det rule for 20+ years now tbh

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2012, 12:12 PM
True, I left that one for you, tbh, I saw you viewing the thread:lol..

Spursfan092120
02-26-2012, 01:40 PM
No

No way this team has a shot. Spurs have beaten them twice already..once without Manu..and the one with Manu wasn't even close.

02-26-2012, 01:41 PM
griffin missing his FTs will be the death of the clippers.

jacobdrj
02-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Heavily depends on the heath and mental fortitude of Billups for the Clippers. CP3 has a history of making some very bad decisions under duress in the playoffs. He is still young and may have learned from his mistakes, but I wouldn't count on it. It wasn't quite Jerry Stackhouse ineptitude, but it was significant amounts of panic that I'd be worried.

Put the Clippers down a notch, and I'd say you have yourself a good list.

And don't count out Indiana. They are a complete team. They don't have a superstar, but between their biggs, like West, and their depth with guys like Hansburough. Depending on whether they need to rely on Granger in the playoffs will decide their fate. Also, Vogel is a bit of an unknown commodity in the playoffs.

Mal
02-26-2012, 02:01 PM
No way. Clippers are still Clippers. Then we have Del Negro as coach. No Billups. No elite defense. No elite big men. No elite scorer. And this will be their first playoff in more then 5 years ? 2 round would be a sign that they are going in right direction.

They wont get through Mavs, Spurs, Thunder and possibly Lakers.