PDA

View Full Version : The Oscars

SA210
02-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Tonight.

What are your picks? I don't think Moneyball will win, but I am rooting for it across the board. It was my favorite film of the year. Love the underdog stories and it finally felt great to walk out of a theater very satisfied, it's been a long time, in a world of trash like Twilight. Finally something good and inspiring. I think the categories it has the best chance at winning is Jonah Hill for best supporting actor, editing and maybe screenplay.

I really hope Brad wins Best actor. I really feel his character lived and breathed that team in the film. Great job. I hope it wins Best film, but I think the Academy will wanna go George Clooney or The Artist. I hope I'm wrong.

It is a shame that Bennett Miller wasn't nominated for Best Director for Moneyball, and that Mychael Danna wasn't nominated for the film score. Those were snubs in my opinion.

http://c759930.r30.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/moneyball-movie-300x2461.jpg

FIl-L9pDhXc

njAGr-kD91I

If Moneyball doesn't win Best Picture, I'd like Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close to get it. My 2nd favorite movie of the year. This kid is so young but yet such a damn good actor. This movie was so damn sad, But I love dramas, really good movie and can't wait to own it. :tu :tu

If Jonah Hill doesn't win, the old guy did a great job in this movie, Max von Sydow..I'd love to see him get it.

ZqfA1BocV44

http://a.oscar.go.com/service/image/index/id/05579ffd-74b7-489e-b29a-c39f4910e934/dim/274x235.jpg

These are the films that probably won't win anything, but they are my favorites. I'll have to record the All Star game because I'm not missing the Oscars.

:corn:

redzero
02-26-2012, 06:59 AM
How'd that piece of shit 9/11 movie get nominated? Critics didn't even like it that much?

leemajors
02-26-2012, 10:23 AM
I never tune into this self flagellation by Hollywood, but Oldman nailed Smiley and deserves to win.

Sportcamper
02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
How'd that 9/11 movie get nominated? Critics didn't even like it that much?

The artsy community likes it…I am practicing my acting…I have a “yes” on one hand & a “no” on the other…Wish I would have thought of that before this film…

SA210
02-26-2012, 04:21 PM
How'd that piece of shit 9/11 movie get nominated?

Because it was pretty good.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-26-2012, 06:13 PM
How'd that piece of shit 9/11 movie get nominated? Critics didn't even like it that much?

Most of the people in the Academy don't actually watch all the films. They'll just scan the plotline and the cast and make a decision. "Tom Hanks in a movie about 9/11, around the 10-year anniversary of 9/11?! Sounds like a winning formula, no need to watch that!"

Landon Donofag
02-26-2012, 06:29 PM

"Oscar voters nearly 94% white,77% male, have median age of 62"

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/academy/la-et-unmasking-oscar-academy-project-html,0,7473284.htmlstory

SA210
02-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Also rooting for this for best documentary.

dUt349BSxZk

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Moneyball was a good movie, but that's about it. it doesn't deserve anywhere near the amount of hype that SOME are giving it. if anything .... and I can't believe that I'm actually saying this .... Jonah Hill was the best performance in it.

now with that said, I don't have a problem with Moneyball getting nominated because it is a pretty weak year for movies IMO. I think the Academy is going to pull out there "hey look at how unique and different we are" card tonight and give everything to "The Artist" with the exception of maybe one of "The Help" women winning for lead or supporting actress.

DMX7
02-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Hollywood is pushing its gay agenda!!!! and with America's most manly man, George Cloney! Nooooo!!!!!!

DMX7
02-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Oh God! They just topped themselves. Justin fucking Bieber. Now there can be no doubt.

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Hollywood is pushing its gay agenda!!!! and with America's most manly man, George Cloney! Nooooo!!!!!!

son George's midget ass picks some mighty fine tail to use as his beard though.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2v8r4eb.jpg

DMX7
02-26-2012, 08:43 PM
George is not tall but he's not short either. I consider anything below 5'10" as short.

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Hugo 2 for 2

baseline bum
02-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Hmmm.... Moneyball, or a cocksucking sob story piece of shit about a fucking horse?

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Hmmm.... Moneyball, or a cocksucking sob story piece of shit about a fucking horse?

son anything but The Artist.

baseline bum
02-26-2012, 08:58 PM
It can't possibly be worse than War Horse. The only good horse movie is the one with Monica Mattos.

redzero
02-26-2012, 09:25 PM
I liked The Artist. I wanted Drive and 50/50 to be nominated, but the Academy picked two movies that weren't even liked that much.

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 09:32 PM
The Artist is only 1 for 5 so far thankfully.

DMX7
02-26-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm not really getting this act, and judging by the crowd reaction - I'm not the only one. Leave that shit to Vegas.

DMX7
02-26-2012, 09:42 PM
This little bit is actually pretty decent.

DMX7
02-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Also rooting for this for best documentary.

dUt349BSxZk

I haven't seen that, but it won.

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 09:50 PM
anyone else noticing the trend of the last nominee being shown in the video clips before they announce the winner end up winning? Rango just now was the 5th one tonight that has won and was the last nominee shown in the clips.

dirk4mvp
02-26-2012, 09:53 PM
I liked The Artist. I wanted Drive and 50/50 to be nominated, but the Academy picked two movies that weren't even liked that much.

Since when do you care about what critics think is good or not?

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Hugo is racking up. what's that? #5?

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 10:03 PM
well there is the Academy's yearly gay agenda winner. they have to make sure to get at least one in every year.

SA210
02-26-2012, 10:07 PM
So at least Undefeated won so far. Damn, Hugo is taking everything. J.Lo btw looked pretty fine lol

redzero
02-26-2012, 10:09 PM

Good point. It's not like the Academy has gotten the Best Picture right in years.

dirk4mvp
02-26-2012, 10:15 PM

redzero
02-26-2012, 10:25 PM

Good point. It's not like the Academy has gotten the Best Picture right in years.

SA210
02-26-2012, 10:30 PM
:hungry: Jolie

Oh, Gee!!
02-26-2012, 10:32 PM
they should hold these things like every 4 years so there are good movies to choose from

every leap year? fantastic idea tbh. :toast

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
sons say what you want about J-Lo, but that is one bad bitch!

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m017qgXPku1qbxk6fo1_500.jpg

baseline bum
02-26-2012, 10:39 PM

Damn, she got the booty back!?! And Cameron Diaz still looks like shit.

SA210
02-26-2012, 10:45 PM

Ass for days :hat

Damn that woman is a fine ass chick. That's why I haven't ever changed my avatar. I'm glad to say I worked with her on the movie that made her a star.

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 11:03 PM
well it looks like the Academy and their agenda with "The Artist" is going to be crammed down our throats. with it winning best director, it is now almost a shoe in for best picture. what a shame for the other, far more deserving films.

tlongII
02-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Esperanza Spalding is a terrific talent. She just killed it singing What a Wonderful World during that memorial piece. Just a great artist.

Spurminator
02-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Of the BP nominees, I've only seen Moneyball, Descendants and The Tree of Life. I didn't think any of them was as good as The Ides of March.

BRHornet45
02-26-2012, 11:20 PM
lol what a joke The Artist just won best lead actor (and will win best picture as well)

tlongII
02-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Yep looks like The Artist will clean up now. Just another example of The Academy showing us that we know nothing about movies.

tlongII
02-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Has an actor ever won with a 2 word script before? :lol

Spurminator
02-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Of course a silent film is going to dominate the Oscars. It is the age of the Hipster, after all.

BanditHiro
02-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Of course a silent film is going to dominate the Oscars. It is the age of the Hipster, after all.

the academy are a bunch of hipsters always have been. fine i understand best director but best actor and picture what a joke.

baseline bum
02-26-2012, 11:32 PM
the academy are a bunch of hipsters always have been. fine i understand best director but best actor and picture what a joke.

Nah, they just have bad taste. Forrest Gump and Titanic are about as anti-hipster as films get and those two pieces of shit cleaned up. Then there was that stupid piece of shit Hurt Locker. Still, is The Artist worse than Crash?

Spurminator
02-26-2012, 11:35 PM
This is the first year I can remember there being so many BP nominees that I have no interest in seeing. I will probably never sit through War Horse, The Help or 911 Oscar Bait.

SA210
02-26-2012, 11:37 PM
They used the Moneyball music throughout the whole show and not one win.

The Artist :pctoss

Spurminator
02-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Moneyball was a decent and watchable movie that has very little repeat viewing appeal and had no business being nominated for so many Oscars.

Reck
02-26-2012, 11:42 PM
What a sham.

LOL who watches black and white silent movies these days?

Possibly the worst movie to win best picture.

BanditHiro
02-26-2012, 11:42 PM
It's ironic that Midnight in Paris came out the same year The Artist did...

SA210
02-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Moneyball was a decent and watchable movie that has very little repeat viewing appeal and had no business being nominated for so many Oscars.

Completely disagree. It was short on nominations in my opinion. Score, song, and director. That Best Picture segment song was from Moneyball. Very great work.

I have watched the movie many times. I'm not so much interested in lots of explosions and stuff like that, mainly inspiring stories about underdogs, so for a person like me, it was wonderful.

DMX7
02-26-2012, 11:55 PM
What a sham.

LOL who watches black and white silent movies these days?

Possibly the worst movie to win best picture.

I feel like we say that almost every year.

DMX7
02-27-2012, 12:02 AM
All you need to know about the Oscars is that The Artist won a best picture Oscar and no Stanley Kubrick movie ever did.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-27-2012, 12:02 AM
The best moment by far was when Billy Crystal did the "What are they thinking?" bit and drunk mumbled when the camera showed Nick Nolte. Literally an lol moment.

oh, and I have no problem with The Artist winning. It was a good film, tbh.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Fuck Meryll Streep

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Fuck Meryll Streep

At least she had the awareness to know that this was her lifetime achievement Oscar from the Academy. Her reign of terror is finally over

monosylab1k
02-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Completely disagree. It was short on nominations in my opinion. Score, song, and director. That Best Picture segment song was from Moneyball. Very great work.

I have watched the movie many times. I'm not so much interested in lots of explosions and stuff like that, mainly inspiring stories about underdogs, so for a person like me, it was wonderful.

I'm guessing anybody who thinks Moneyball was a baseball movie didn't think it was all that great.

BRHornet45
02-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Fuck Oceanic flight 815

fixed son

BRHornet45
02-27-2012, 01:08 AM
At least she had the awareness to know that this was her lifetime achievement Oscar from the Academy. Her reign of terror is finally over

son Streep has been nominated 17 times and has won 3 times. if she had never won then it would have been considered a lifetime achievement award, but that's not the case.

regardless, the best black actress from The Help (Octavia Spencer) won anyways. Viola Davis deserved the nomination for the lead, but was overrated by many to win and would have been nothing more than a "feel good / pity" pick if she had won.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-27-2012, 01:20 AM
son Streep has been nominated 17 times and has won 3 times. if she had never won then it would have been considered a lifetime achievement award, but that's not the case.

regardless, the best black actress from The Help (Octavia Spencer) won anyways. Viola Davis deserved the nomination for the lead, but was overrated by many to win and would have been nothing more than a "feel good / pity" pick if she had won.

Yeah, but she hadn't won in literally 30 years despite all those nominations, son. She was approaching John Starks #'s so the Academy sent her off gracefully.

SA210
02-27-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm guessing anybody who thinks Moneyball was a baseball movie didn't think it was all that great.

I agree.

monosylab1k
02-27-2012, 01:34 AM
btw the biggest travesty of the night was Take Shelter getting ZERO nominations and Michael Shannon not getting the Best Actor nomination or win he absolutely deserved.

CuckingFunt
02-27-2012, 03:42 AM
I'm happy War Horse was completely shut out. There are few things more confusing to me than the fact Spielberg is taken seriously.

That you (the collective, unspecific you) don't have any interest in watching a black & white silent film doesn't change the fact it is an incredibly well made film that was deserving of awards/recognition. Of the nominated films that I saw (I, too, am avoiding Spielberg, Cashing in on 9/11, and White Folks End Racism Again), I think it was genuinely deserving of the win.

That said... Drive, Take Shelter, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy were horribly underrepresented in a number of categories. And while Shame was a bit of a mess as a film, Michael Fassbender damn sure should have been nominated. Finally, while I thought Jean Dujardin's performance was great (for the record, acting =/= speaking, so I don't give fuck all that he only said two words), I have a hard time reconciling the fact that Sandra Bullock has more Oscars than Gary Oldman. Smiley should have finally gotten him a trophy.

CuckingFunt
02-27-2012, 03:43 AM
Oh, and as horrible as this show looks, the Breaking Bad easter egg in this commercial may have been the most entertaining part of the whole broadcast:

QqAG8TFp4F4

baseline bum
02-27-2012, 04:04 AM
I, too, am avoiding Spielberg, Cashing in on 9/11, and White Folks End Racism Again

:rollin

mingus
02-27-2012, 04:46 AM
I'm happy War Horse was completely shut out. There are few things more confusing to me than the fact Spielberg is taken seriously.

That you (the collective, unspecific you) don't have any interest in watching a black & white silent film doesn't change the fact it is an incredibly well made film that was deserving of awards/recognition. Of the nominated films that I saw (I, too, am avoiding Spielberg, Cashing in on 9/11, and White Folks End Racism Again), I think it was genuinely deserving of the win.

That said... Drive, Take Shelter, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy were horribly underrepresented in a number of categories. And while Shame was a bit of a mess as a film, Michael Fassbender damn sure should have been nominated. Finally, while I thought Jean Dujardin's performance was great (for the record, acting =/= speaking, so I don't give fuck all that he only said two words), I have a hard time reconciling the fact that Sandra Bullock has more Oscars than Gary Oldman. Smiley should have finally gotten him a trophy.

Why shouldn't Spielberg be taken seriously? What in the hell don't you like about his movies?

And if you are going to call Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close "Cashing in on 9/11", then you better do the same to every movie or any work of art that has ever been about or revolved around a historical event. Is Schindler's List "Cashing in on the Holocaust"? Is Saving Private Ryan "Cashing in on World War II"?

SA210
02-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Why shouldn't Spielberg be taken seriously? What in the hell don't you like about his movies?

And if you are going to call Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close "Cashing in on 9/11", then you better do the same to every movie or any work of art that has ever been about or revolved around a historical event. Is Schindler's List "Cashing in on the Holocaust"? Is Saving Private Ryan "Cashing in on World War II"?

And it's not even a 9/11 movie, the kid's dad happened to die on 9/11, but the movie was more about the kid. Spielberg is one of the greats.

mingus
02-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Spielberg is one of the greats.

Snobbery will keep snobs from recognizing that.

redzero
02-27-2012, 05:29 AM
What's with The Artist hate? I didn't think it was the best movie this year, but it was definitely one of the better movies.

JoeChalupa
02-27-2012, 08:40 AM

I concur.

hehateme
02-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Am I the minority who believes giving awards to overpaid actors/acresses/producers/directors/etc is a complete and utter waste of time and money and only gives these morons even more of a go ahead to make shitty films?

cheguevara
02-27-2012, 10:30 AM
The Artist was a good movie and original script.

All the other were bullshit movies except Rango

eric365
02-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Am I the only one that thought that moneyball was a John Hollinger's wet dream?

silverblk mystix
02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Spielberg is the most overrated person in the history of hollyweird...haven't seen anything good from him since...

I can't even remember....

His biggest talent? Being Jewish. That's it.

WTF did that supporting actress from The Help get a standing ovation for?
Because she is black...that is the only reason...

All those rich white pretentious assholes thought they were being "gracious" by giving her a standing O ended up just looking like a bunch of condescending bigots trying to "score cool points"....

JayTheClown
02-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Spielberg is the most overrated person in the history of hollyweird...haven't seen anything good from him since...

All those rich white pretentious assholes thought they were being "gracious" by giving her a standing O ended up just looking like a bunch of condescending bigots trying to "score cool points"....

Jurassic Park was the shit back in the day. After that yeah I'm with you I cant remember.

PakiDan
02-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Oh, and as horrible as this show looks, the Breaking Bad easter egg in this commercial may have been the most entertaining part of the whole broadcast:

QqAG8TFp4F4

I agree... this commercial was greatness... wholly because of the Breaking Bad reference at the end.

mingus
02-27-2012, 12:04 PM

Saving Private Ryan (better known to some of you as Cashing in on WWII), Catch Me If You Can, and Minority Report, I thought, were very good movies. All made after Jurassic Park. I thought War Horse was great too.

PakiDan
02-27-2012, 12:09 PM
tbh.. this was the greatest moment of the entire night...

mhAg0COnqds

tlongII
02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
LOL @ The Artist. This is 2012, not 1912.

mingus
02-27-2012, 12:22 PM
There's a difference between exploitation and reverence.

They are not mutually exclusive. An artist can revere something and make profit from making a work in its name.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-27-2012, 12:39 PM
tbh everybody should be happy that a fruity british comedy-drama like Kings Speech or Shakespeare in Love didn't win this year

Opinionater
02-27-2012, 12:40 PM
There are always disgreements with these types of awards because they are based on opinions and not facts. Just because so and so says the director was brilliant or the plot was great etc., doesn't mean I or anyone else will agree with it. The Artist was okay but it didn't move me like "The Help" did. So I would give "The Help" higher votes than someone who was looking at it differently. It isn't always about direction, or lighting, blah, blah, blah that will connect me with a film.
I agree with some of the selection but not others which, IMHO, is probably what the majority of us feel.

redzero
02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
There are always disgreements with these types of awards because they are based on opinions and not facts.

:wow

JoeChalupa
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I was happy to see the supporting actress go to "The Help". She rocked it out.

lefty
02-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Happy for Dujardin

CuckingFunt
02-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Spielberg is a great B movie director and has made several movies that I like and thoroughly enjoy. Whenever he steps away from light comedy or exploitation/action, however, the result is so overwrought as to be almost unbearable. Either you can make films that impugn racism and preach social conscience, or you can make a series of films with scary brown people and a character like Short Round, but you can't do both and be taken seriously. And Spielberg by far excels at the latter.

And if you are going to call Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close "Cashing in on 9/11", then you better do the same to every movie or any work of art that has ever been about or revolved around a historical event.

That assumes that every movie or work of art that has ever been about or revolved around an historical event has been as manipulative a sentimental tear-jerker as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close appears to be.

Is Schindler's List "Cashing in on the Holocaust"? Is Saving Private Ryan "Cashing in on World War II"?

No. I don't think so. But neither do I think either of those films are as great as everyone else seems to. They benefit from temporal distance, though. Much of the "cashing in" quality of EL&IC comes from the fact it was released close to the 10-year anniversary of an event whose impact is still being felt emotionally/economically/militarily and that is still fresh in the minds of its viewing audience.

lefty
02-27-2012, 02:03 PM
PROBLÈME, SPEURSTALQUE ?

http://cache.20minutes.fr/img/photos/20mn/2011-10/2011-10-11/article_de_brice_de_nice_A__the_artist.jpg

romain.star
02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
LOL @ The Artist. This is 2012, not 1912.

So? Your point ? Since when does a good movie can't be a black n with silent movie?

Stupido

Fpoonsie
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
So? Your point ? Since when does a good movie can't be a black n with silent movie?

...wut?

redzero
02-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Stupido

Vous êtes tres stupid.

tlongII
02-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Stupido

Since about 1930 or so.

romain.star
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Since about 1930 or so.

So according to your logic, Chaplin's or Keaton's movies are now rubish right?

romain.star
02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Vous êtes tres stupid.

my english sucks for sure but your French is... different

redzero
02-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Avez-vous un problème? Voulez-vous faire quelque chose?

mrsmaalox
02-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Snubbed montage:

3iztme97NYs&feature=share

hater
02-27-2012, 03:57 PM
:lmao owned by the french

romain.star
02-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Avez-vous un problème? Voulez-vous faire quelque chose?

aucun problème mon ami ! la critique cinématographique est encouragée mais avec des vrais arguments, c'est mieux non?

redzero
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Oui, c'est vrai. Vous avez besoin de comprendre que tlong n'est pas intelligent. Il est grosse et malodorant.

Spurminator
02-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Snubbed montage:

3iztme97NYs&feature=share

I was on board until the claim that Harry Potter was snubbed for Best Picture.

CuckingFunt
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
I was on board until the claim that Harry Potter was snubbed for Best Picture.

Ditto Warrior and Drive. All three had some good performances/visuals/etc., but none of them were worthy of Best Picture.

redzero
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I like Rango (mostly because the Chinatown references), but no.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
How can it be a "snubbed" montage if more than one flick, actor or actress is named for the same category????????

SA210
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
:lol @ the Spielberg hate. Unbearable films? Manipulative? Pfft. The man is a master at his craft and makes a quality product. I wasn't happy about his latest Indiana Jones, but other than that the man can just about do anything. Extra Terrestrial films, The Color Purple, war films. The guy is a genius in the world of movie-making, no doubt about that. All movies are manipulative, they take you into another world purposely, that's what movies are.

Spielberg :tu :tu

leemajors
02-27-2012, 07:04 PM
I just think he makes boring movies. And what he went back and did to E.T. was beyond stupid.

Muser
02-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Spielberg has his fair share of shit (War of the Worlds etc.) but haven't most directors? Indiana Jones was awesome imo and he's had some other pretty good films. I thought The Terminal was awesome.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
fixed son

Fuck you! Son!

mingus
02-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Spielberg is a great B movie director and has made several movies that I like and thoroughly enjoy. Whenever he steps away from light comedy or exploitation/action, however, the result is so overwrought as to be almost unbearable. Either you can make films that impugn racism and preach social conscience, or you can make a series of films with scary brown people and a character like Short Round, but you can't do both and be taken seriously. And Spielberg by far excels at the latter.

That assumes that every movie or work of art that has ever been about or revolved around an historical event has been as manipulative a sentimental tear-jerker as Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close appears to be.

No. I don't think so. But neither do I think either of those films are as great as everyone else seems to. They benefit from temporal distance, though. Much of the "cashing in" quality of EL&IC comes from the fact it was released close to the 10-year anniversary of an event whose impact is still being felt emotionally/economically/militarily and that is still fresh in the minds of its viewing audience.

He's not just a great B movie director. I don't know how you can say that Schindlers' List, Saving Private Ryan, or Catch Me If You Can are any less worthy of being nominated for Oscar than, for example, No Country For Old Men, The Departed, Crash, There Will Be Blood, or Fargo from a directorial point of view or Best Picture. What makes those worthy and the ones that I mentioned of Spielberg not? Maybe you can enlighten me.

And the racial undertones that you allege exist in Indiana I do not know about because I have not seen the movie. Either way, it wouldn't hurt his cred as a superior director. He might be an asshole for it and a hypocrite, but that sounds like a lot of Hollywood. Thus why the couldn't give a shit.

I think your characterization of Extremely Loud is ridiculous. It lost money. Its budget was $40 million and it sucked at the Box Office, only making $33 million. It did not cash in on 9/11. If you wanna call it a manipulative tear jerker, then fine. Though i dont buy that just because it came out on the 10 year anniversary its purpose was to manipulate people into seeing the movie and sobbing. When would you arbitrarily say a movie revolving around a historical event has to come out in order for you to see it? You've assummed people still give enough of a shit about 9/11 to see the movie because it's still "fresh in their minds" but it was a failure at the box office because Americans apparently DGAF about it.

And you want to talk about emotional manipulative tear jerkers. A Beautiful Mind was the most manipulative tear jerker Oscar winner of all time. Even worse, it changed the facts around John Nash's life to make it more exciting. Nash never even had visual hallucinations.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-27-2012, 09:48 PM
the worst thing about a beautiful mind is the 'game theory' hallucination in the bar had nothing to do with nash's work at all

Sunuvabitch!

CuckingFunt
02-28-2012, 01:22 AM
And you want to talk about emotional manipulative tear jerkers. A Beautiful Mind was the most manipulative tear jerker Oscar winner of all time. Even worse, it changed the facts around John Nash's life to make it more exciting. Nash never even had visual hallucinations.

A Beautiful Mind is shit. And Ron Howard is pretty close to Spielberg on the list of overrated directors.

ididnotnothat
02-28-2012, 01:28 AM
A Beautiful Mind is shit. And Ron Howard is pretty close to Spielberg on the list of overrated directors.

I'd have to strongly disagree with you. A Beautiful Mind was an excellent film and Ron Howard has directed some very good movies.

Jacob1983
02-28-2012, 02:42 AM
What was up with the camera showing Steven Spielberg during the Foreign Language Film award acceptance speech? Was it done on purpose? The winner was a movie from Iran and Spielberg is a Jew. Was Hollywood trying to send a message?

mingus
02-28-2012, 04:09 AM
What was up with the camera showing Steven Spielberg during the Foreign Language Film award acceptance speech? Was it done on purpose? The winner was a movie from Iran and Spielberg is a Jew. Was Hollywood trying to send a message?

Half the audience was probably Jewish. They could've panned any direction and the same thing would have happened.

mingus
02-28-2012, 04:24 AM

What else is overrated? Food? Water?

SA210
02-28-2012, 06:08 AM
:lol Ron Howard overrated?

The man brought these great movies to the world.

Splash, Cocoon, Gung Ho, WILLOW, Backdraft, Far and Away, Cinderella Man, and Frost/Nixon.

sonic21
02-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Dujardin was good but i thought Bejo was better and should have been nominated and have won best actress.

leemajors
02-28-2012, 07:43 AM

Splash, Cocoon, Gung Ho, WILLOW, Backdraft, Far and Away, Cinderella Man, and Frost/Nixon.

I'm just hoping he won't get the chance to ruin The Dark Tower.

redzero
02-28-2012, 08:37 AM
I thought Schindler's List was a great movie. That scene where Amon tries to shoot the rabbi but his gun jams, was hilarious.

CuckingFunt
02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
I'd have to strongly disagree with you. A Beautiful Mind was an excellent film and Ron Howard has directed some very good movies.

You do realize that "overrated" is not the same as "bad" or "untalented," right? I think that both Steven Spielberg and Ron Howard have directed a number of good and/or entertaining films. I just think it's ridiculous that they are often looked at as the greatest directors of our generation.

SA210
02-28-2012, 10:36 AM
You do realize that "overrated" is not the same as "bad" or "untalented," right? I think that both Steven Spielberg and Ron Howard have directed a number of good and/or entertaining films. I just think it's ridiculous that they are often looked at as the greatest directors of our generation.

When I think of greatest of all time, I don't necessarily think of Ron Howard, although I really like many of his films. But Spielberg no doubt has to be up there though. What I respect about Spielberg is that he can do all genres really well.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-28-2012, 11:27 AM
A Beautiful Mind is shit.
Pffff. Whatever.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-28-2012, 11:29 AM
What else is overrated? Food? Water?

Right?