PDA

View Full Version : Santorum: Sepeartion of church and state not an "absolute"

RandomGuy
02-26-2012, 07:11 PM
erk. So where is the line then?

Who gets to write the school prayers that all our kids have to say?

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum said Sunday that he doesn't believe in the separation of church and state, adding that he was sickened by John F. Kennedy's assurances to Baptist ministers 52 years ago that he would not impose his Catholic faith on them.

"I don't believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute," Santorum, a devout Catholic, said in an interview from Michigan on ABC's "This Week."

"The First Amendment means the free exercise of religion and that means bringing people and their faith into the public square."

Santorum's latest foray into the hot-button, faith-based issues that so fire up the party's evangelical base comes as his chief rival for the Republican nomination, Mitt Romney, begins to pull ahead slightly in the state of Michigan, where he was born and raised.

http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-says-doesnt-believe-separation-church-state-164307440.html

MannyIsGod
02-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Smh

Goran Dragic
02-26-2012, 08:25 PM
:lmao he says these radical outlandish things and Republicans love him for it

baseline bum
02-26-2012, 08:43 PM
It's too bad it's so late in the nomination process, as it would have been great to see someone go right of Santorum. For instance, campaigning on the reinstitution of slavery, bringing back the witch trials, killing off the remaining Native Americans, etc.

Iranian BoogeyMan
02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
mods get rid of this thread and any other anti-Santorum stuff

I don't want these retarded Republicans to start to believe I don't exist

Goran Dragic
02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
It's too bad it's so late in the nomination process, as it would have been great to see someone go right of Santorum. For instance, campaigning on the reinstitution of slavery, bringing back the witch trials, killing off the remaining Native Americans, etc.
True tbh. If we had a candidate from the Westboro Baptists or some shit that woulda been great.

boutons_deux
02-26-2012, 09:02 PM
"he doesn't believe in the separation of church and state"

meaning his CHRISTIAN SUPREMACIST church and state. Other religions are secondary, and to be discriminated against.

Freedom of CHRISTIAN religion for his ilk, but not FREEDOM FROM religion for anybody else. CHRISTIAN SUPREMACIST SHARIA is where InSaneTorum is going

Bill_Brasky
02-26-2012, 09:30 PM
"he doesn't believe in the separation of church and state"

meaning his CHRISTIAN SUPREMACIST church and state. Other religions are secondary, and to be discriminated against.

Freedom of CHRISTIAN religion for his ilk, but not religion from ANY religion for anybody else.

Exactly. These are the same people that condemn Sharia law and use it as an arguing point in favor of invading various middle eastern countries.

Normally I'd say "What, do they think we're fucking stupid or something?" but apparently we are....

Oh, Gee!!
02-26-2012, 10:17 PM
people wanna know what a candidate will do about the economy, jobs, gas prices, middle east tensions, china, etc. the majority of us don't care about school prayer or the prolificity of contraception. he's pandering to a small slice of the republican base, and his words will come back to haunt him if he gets the nomination

Oh, Gee!!
02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
he's an idiot when you think about it. here he is so close to the nomination against all odds and can't seem to get out of the way of his mouth

JoeChalupa
02-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Santorum's comments on the Sunday morning shows will cost him the GOP nomination and Romney is gaining his momentum back. Santorum's constant talk about social issues is not what voters want to hear about. Today he is going to talk about his economic plan but it is too late.

jack sommerset
02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Damn joe is stupid. Stop watching msnbc, stop reading the the huffington post. You said yourself months ago Romney was the man. Everything else is entertainment for stupid people. Take a break man, go worship the lord and come back in october. God bless you and your family.

JoeChalupa
02-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Damn joe is stupid. Stop watching msnbc, stop reading the the huffington post. You said yourself months ago Romney was the man. Everything else is entertainment for stupid people. Take a break man, go worship the lord and come back in october. God bless you and your family.

:sleep Yes, I've always said Romney would win the nomination but Santorum did have the upper hand and blew it, IMHO, with all the social issue talk. Oh, and I am not stupid but you sir...are making it a point to prove you are. My family is already blessed so :flipoff.

Goran Dragic
02-27-2012, 09:24 AM
jackass sommershit doesn't have to make a point of sounding stupid, that's a talent he's naturally "blessed" with if you wanna speak in bible thumper terms.

Th'Pusher
02-27-2012, 09:58 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/telnaes?hpid=z3

cheguevara
02-27-2012, 10:08 AM
what about separation of semen and ass juice?

Goran Dragic
02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
what about separation of semen and ass juice?
It would no longer be considered the frothy mixture that is Santorum :lmao

boutons_deux
02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Poll: Two Out Of Three Americans Disagree With Santorum On Church/State Separation

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/santorum12-300x168.jpg

The number of Americans who believe that the First Amendment requires a clear separation of church and state remains about the same as last year, with 67% agreeing there is a clear separation and 28% disagreeing with the statement.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/02/27/432626/poll-two-out-of-three-americans-disagree-with-santorum-on-churchstate-separation/

28% fucktard assholes

Goran Dragic
02-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeah, the fact 28% of this country wants a religious government is scary.

EVAY
02-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Yes, the part of that statistic that shares me is that 1/3 of the folks Don't disagree with him.

EVAY
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM
he's an idiot when you think about it. here he is so close to the nomination against all odds and can't seem to get out of the way of his mouth

absolutely.

Blake
02-27-2012, 11:13 AM
How did Perry get kicked out of the race so quickly while this even crazier nut is still going rather strong?

vy65
02-27-2012, 11:16 AM
I'll play devil's advocate (rimshot):

The Court has struggled to find a neutral course between the two religion clauses, both of which are cast in absolute terms, and either of which, if expanded to a logical extreme, would tend to clash with the other.”

“The religion clauses of the First Amendment provide: „Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.‟ The first of the two Clauses, commonly called the Establishment Clause, commands a separation of church and state. The second, the Free Exercise Clause, requires government respect for, and noninterference with, the religious beliefs and practices of our Nation's people. While the two Clauses express complementary values, they often exert conflicting pressures.”

I don't think it's an all or nothing extreme -- I think that there are instances where government is required to quasi-"establish" religion in order to protect its free exercise. Granted, I doubt that's what Santorum had in mind with the quote; but the suggestion that there is or should be (legally speaking) an absolute separation between religion and state is wrong, imho.

101A
02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
His coffin was shut; this, IMO, was the nail.

You don't have the liberty of such nuance when you are a presidential candidate; whatever his position, if he doesn't get THAT, he is too stupid to be President.

CubanMustGo
02-27-2012, 12:24 PM
I wonder sometimes if Santorum thinks he's running for president or for archbishop.

Agloco
02-27-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure how any of the Republican candidates can be taken seriously at this point. Seems like a revolving door of fried logic circuits.

boutons_deux
02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
"he is too stupid to be President."

Repugs like their President stupid and foolish, like dubya, like themselves.

CosmicCowboy
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
This is all a masterful play to make us average middle of the road republicans/independents grateful when we finally get Romney as a candidate.

EVAY
02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
This is all a masterful play to make us average middle of the road republicans/independents grateful when we finally get Romney as a candidate.

:lol:toast

FuzzyLumpkins
02-27-2012, 06:25 PM

You think you are middle of the road?

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

So then who do you consider far right then?

Goran Dragic
02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
compared to Rick Santorum I'd definitely consider CC a middle of the road Republican

I don't think CC ever took a miscarried fetus home and named it Gabriel so his kids could play with it

FuzzyLumpkins
02-27-2012, 07:04 PM
compared to Rick Santorum I'd definitely consider CC a middle of the road Republican

I don't think CC ever took a miscarried fetus home and named it Gabriel so his kids could play with it

Its interesting that religious zealot is now being painted as the only version of extreme right nowadays. CC strikes me as a Pat Buchanon type and that at one point was the definition of the right wing.

I still say that religious zealots forming a coalition with industrialists and the southern old guard in the 1960s and 1970s was the worst thing to happen to American government.

Nbadan
02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
If the GOP wants it to take the country back its got to take it away from the Kardasians..

Nbadan
02-27-2012, 07:45 PM
This is some serious, Dominion, Opus Dei, Jerry Falwell, Liberty University bullshit...

Goran Dragic
02-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Its interesting that religious zealot is now being painted as the only version of extreme right nowadays. CC strikes me as a Pat Buchanon type and that at one point was the definition of the right wing.

I still say that religious zealots forming a coalition with industrialists and the southern old guard in the 1960s and 1970s was the worst thing to happen to American government.
Well imo today's extreme right is basically controlled by the religious right, so by today's standards CC isn't an extreme right type guy.

Pat Buchanon also disagrees with Republicans on a lot of things, most notably the fact he's an opinion anti-Semite while the Republican party pretends it loves Israel and pretends to love Jews. That's one big reason why Pat Buchanon has distanced himself from today's Republican beliefs, he can't stand how Jew friendly the Republican party is these days.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Well imo today's extreme right is basically controlled by the religious right, so by today's standards CC isn't an extreme right type guy.

Pat Buchanon also disagrees with Republicans on a lot of things, most notably the fact he's an opinion anti-Semite while the Republican party pretends it loves Israel and pretends to love Jews. That's one big reason why Pat Buchanon has distanced himself from today's Republican beliefs, he can't stand how Jew friendly the Republican party is these days.

i was not fixating on Jews in using that reference but rather the stance towards organized labor and immigrants. Foreigners in a general xenophobic sense.

The GOP is such a mixed bag that is slowly hemogenizing into somethig much more disturbing now that you see it coalescing into new forms or 'right wing.'

CosmicCowboy
02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
i was not fixating on Jews in using that reference but rather the stance towards organized labor and immigrants. Foreigners in a general xenophobic sense.

The GOP is such a mixed bag that is slowly hemogenizing into somethig much more disturbing now that you see it coalescing into new forms or 'right wing.'

If you would actually read my posts instead of automatically attacking like a foaming at the mouth pit bull you would see that I am far from a right wing conservative.

I am totally pro-choice, could give a shit if gays marry, am for the total legalization and taxation of recreational drugs, and want to create an achievable path to citizenship for illegal aliens. I have no problem with raising taxes if we cut the budget by a multiple of the tax increases and set a real path towards balancing the budget. I could live with raising the Social Security and Medicare qualification age (including me) and I am for drastically cutting the military and eliminating all our foreign incursions.

Does this REALLY sound like a conservative republican? I have made all these positions explicitly clear in this forum.

johnsmith
02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
If you would actually read my posts instead of automatically attacking like a foaming at the mouth pit bull you would see that I am far from a right wing conservative.

Lumpkins, while pretty smart and quick witted, is also as miserable or more so than boutons.....it comes across in his posts.....don't take it personal, he seems to be that way with everyone.

Of course, you're not going to respond to this, because you only respond to Chump, or any one else attacking you......that way you get to use your "ankle biter" thing.

Goran Dragic
02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
lol Tebow

CosmicCowboy
02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Lumpkins, while pretty smart and quick witted, is also as miserable or more so than boutons.....it comes across in his posts.....don't take it personal, he seems to be that way with everyone.

Of course, you're not going to respond to this, because you only respond to Chump, or any one else attacking you......that way you get to use your "ankle biter" thing.

I didn't realize it required a response, but...uhhh consider it responded to.

boutons_deux
02-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Newt's Last Prayer: Christian Dominionists Go Gingrich

a man named Dutch Sheets came forward to endorse the former House speaker, saying he was the only candidate with the “heart, experience, backbone, Constitutional brilliance and intellectual strength to defeat Obama and lead America back to greatness.” It was the kind of embrace that tends to make politicians skittish.

After all, Sheets is a self-proclaimed apostle and a leading figure in a radical Christian movement, known as the New Apostolic Reformation, which teaches that Christians must infiltrate and take control of government and other worldly institutions to pave the way for Jesus’ return.

And that’s just the beginning.

Sheets also believes, among other things, that his prayers led directly to Saddam Hussein’s capture and that Washington is controlled by “antichrist” forces. As for Barack Obama, Sheets insists that he is Muslim and that his presence in the Oval Office is a sign that God has “turned us over to our enemies” as part of his “judgment on America.” His ultimate goal is to “raise up” an army of “kingdom warriors that are ready to do whatever it takes to bring forth [God’s] kingdom rule in the earth.”

machinery could give Gingrich a leg up in the Southern states he’s counting on to salvage his flagging campaign on Super Tuesday. In the mean time, more apostles are lining up behind him. The night before the Nevada caucuses, Las Vegas–based apostle Paul Goulet hosted a prayer rally featuring the former House speaker at his 5,000-member mega-church. Before launching into his speech, Gingrich asked the children in the audience to join him on stage. “This is the future of America, and the reason we’re here is we want to learn what kind of future are they going to have,” he said. “If I am president, these children are not going to grow up in a secular country dominated by elites who despise our history, dislike our culture and dislike our religion.” The crowd burst into rapturous applause.

http://www.thenation.com/article/166481/newts-last-prayer-christian-dominionists-go-gingrich?rel=emailNation

========

"Christians" are such simpleton dumbfucks, pleasuring, congratulating, deluding themselves with the lie that they know the mind of Christ and God, giving themselves the "right" (God didn't give it to them) to screw up America and the world with theocratic authoritarianism.