PDA

View Full Version : Report: Execs think Dwight Howard, Deron Williams will join Mavericks

JayTheClown
02-26-2012, 07:30 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20120226-report-execs-think-dwight-howard-deron-williams-will-join-mavericks.ece

Report: Execs think Dwight Howard, Deron Williams will join Mavericks

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20120105-nets_magic_basketball_22714144.jpg.ece/BINARY/w620x413/NETS_MAGIC_BASKETBALL_22714144.JPG
AP
Mavericks beat writer sees a scenario where both Deron Williams (left) and Dwight Howard (right) could end up with the Mavs.

26 February 2012 05:32 PM

Could Dwight Howard (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Dwight_Howard) and Deron Williams (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Deron_Williams) be headed to Dallas?
Howard has been rumored to join Williams after the season with one team.
Some say it's the New Jersey (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/New_Jersey) Nets, who are moving to Brooklyn.
“The Nets think they’re getting him,’’ one Eastern Conference GM told the New York (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/New_York_%28state%29) Daily News Friday, citing the fact that Howard’s agent, Dan Fegan, is said to want the East’s starting center to relocate to New York.
But the Daily News reported that other NBA (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/National_Basketball_Association) executives believe Dallas remains the likeliest destination for Williams, who currently plays in New Jersey, and Howard if Orlando doesn’t deal Howard by the March 15 trading deadline.
“The Mavs (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Dallas_Mavericks) want to do what Miami did and put together their own big three,’’ said another GM. “That’s their goal.”
According to the Daily News, Williams privately told members of the Mavericks last June during their Finals celebration that he would love to go back home and be a part of team with Dirk Nowitzki (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Dirk_Nowitzki). But he has said recently he wants to continue to be a Net.
Howard and Williams are sure-fire free agents this summer.
The Mavericks have cleaned up their payroll, which could be below $34 million after this season. But New Jersey will have more money to offer the pair, at least as things stand now.
The salary cap is going to be at least $58 million, which means the Mavericks might not be far enough under the salary cap to offer maximum contracts to both players, but they can probably offer a max deal to one of them, then perhaps pull off a sign-and-trade to get the other one up to maximum territory.
It doesn't hurt that Howard's agent is Dan Fegan, who has been very important to many Maverick signings through the years.
Howard is reportedly willing to sign a long-term deal with only four possible teams and the Mavs are one of them. Along with his current team, the Orlando Magic (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Orlando_Magic) , Howard is also willing to sign with the New Jersey Nets (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/New_Jersey_Nets) and Los Angeles Lakers.

pass1st
02-26-2012, 07:42 PM
http://www.brainlesstales.com/images/2011/Jan/pipe-dream.jpg

JayTheClown
02-26-2012, 07:46 PM
^I actually agree

Reck
02-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Who will Mavs give up? Apart from Dirk they dont have anyone of true value. They cant offer shit.

Latarian Milton
02-26-2012, 07:49 PM
fags act like they're winnin' it if they got Triple D :lol sure it'd be nice to have two big names to accompany dirk and it will definitely increase their title chances, but it'd be stupid to think da triple D make dem favorites against us. plus, the triple D would squeeze up their space and leave them with no fucking bench, just can't imagine dem mavs could stay competitive w/ a payroll as small as 58m tbh :lol

JayTheClown
02-26-2012, 07:53 PM
fags act like they're winnin' it if they got Triple D :lol sure it'd be nice to have two big names to accompany dirk and it will definitely increase their title chances, but it'd be stupid to think da triple D make dem favorites against us. plus, the triple D would squeeze up their space and leave them with no fucking bench, just can't imagine dem mavs could stay competitive w/ a payroll as small as 58m tbh :lol

Mavs beat yalls ass with worse :lol

Latarian Milton
02-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Who will Mavs give up? Apart from Dirk they dont have anyone of true value. They cant offer shit.

they have roddy/west/mahinmi who're all spices, and the mavs have more than enough garbage to offer to make the salary work, the problem is the Nets for example have a stack of young talents and hence their offer would be WAY more attractive to them Magic tbh

so my suggestion is sign DH for whatever you can afford and lure Deron to join dallas via a sign-and-trade, for the nets there ain't no point in keeping deron if they can't get DH

lefty
02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Dallasnews :lol

pass1st
02-26-2012, 08:08 PM

Mav fans who believe this also believe both will never sign an extension after being traded. They think they will bank in at free agency

irishock
02-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Dwight will just sign with NJ this summer. They're not going to Dallas to be 2nd and 3rd fiddles to Nowitzki.

I bet you Dallas will pursue Nash this offseason tho.

TDMVPDPOY
02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
does anyone here really think deron is worth the max?

Latarian Milton
02-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Dwight will just sign with NJ this summer. They're not going to Dallas to be 2nd and 3rd fiddles to Nowitzki.

I bet you Dallas will pursue Nash this offseason tho.
don't get it wrong mayne i just want some real challenge in the finals for us Heat, don't want it an easy ass task tbh. if dallas managed to make triple D they're a real threat to us immediately and it'd be much more fun to beat dem in the finals

if DH & deron move to dallas then dirk would descend to the 3rd place imho, german TOSB ain't havin much left in his tank just hope he doesn't crap out too soon before gettin his nazi ass kicked again by us Heat niggas tbh

baseline bum
02-26-2012, 09:10 PM
They can be pretty bigtime players by amnestying Brenda's deal, but how are they getting both? Sign and trade Jason Terry? :lol

Budkin
02-26-2012, 09:15 PM
:lol at that article.

dude1394
02-26-2012, 10:02 PM

Who did miami give up to get bosh and choker?

dude1394
02-26-2012, 10:04 PM

All the Mavs have to do is get Stevenson and the choker will curl up in a fetal position. Miami isn't a problem, if they even get there.

dude1394
02-26-2012, 10:08 PM
They can be pretty bigtime players by amnestying Brenda's deal, but how are they getting both? Sign and trade Jason Terry? :lol

Deron/Dwight will have to accept less than the max, like dirk did and like bosh/the choker did. Then jkiddo comes back for vet minimum and they fill out the rest of the roster with minimum players.

MavDynasty
02-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I wonder if Terry's ego would allow him to come back for the vet min

baseline bum
02-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Deron/Dwight will have to accept less than the max, like dirk did and like bosh/the choker did. Then jkiddo comes back for vet minimum and they fill out the rest of the roster with minimum players.

James and Bosh took like a million less on their base salaries; you think prime Williams and prime Howard are going to drop a combined $11 million or so from their base salaries? That's leaving something like $64 million on the table over 5 years.

Latarian Milton
02-26-2012, 10:28 PM
^ max contract starts with 14m the first year and the mavs will have bout 28m to offer come summer time, and maybe even more if their amnesty provision is used

baseline bum
02-26-2012, 10:32 PM
^ max contract starts with 14m the first year and the mavs will have bout 24m to offer come summer time, and maybe even more if their amnesty provision is used

Nah, the $24 million number is counting using the amnesty on Brenda or Marion. Did the NBA do away with being able to get a 5% raise on your previous season's contract when signing a new FA deal? If that's true then I'm not sure if Howard opts out. Maybe Williams, but Howard is due $19.2 million next season,

DPG21920
02-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Mavs don't have enough to offer max to both at this point in time. PERIOD.

AidanNelson2009
02-26-2012, 10:43 PM
This trade will not happen, who will the Mavs give up ? i doubt they will let Dirk go, and Dirk wouldn't want to leave anyway, apart from him though, there is no one. They would have to trade there whole list to get Williams and Howard.

AidanNelson2009
02-26-2012, 10:45 PM
James and Bosh took like a million less on their base salaries; you think prime Williams and prime Howard are going to drop a combined $11 million or so from their base salaries? That's leaving something like $64 million on the table over 5 years.

So Howard and Williams would drop roughly $32 million over 5-years each ? No way would anyone do that, it's crazy.

Killakobe81
02-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Dwight should just be VERY honest with the Magic FO. If he is thinking about staying STRONGLY, then I dont blame the owner/Otis for not rushing in to a trade. But he needs to be honest. He seems much like Lebron, that he wants to be liked. The reason James got as much hate as he did from Cleveland because they thought there was no way he would leave especially once the Decision special was announced. who goes on TV to dump their wife?! :lol

Just saying that Howard should push the trade or sign an extension. He waffles constantly. By doing so he hurts his team and he hurts the Magic's leverage by speaking about the subject.

dude1394
02-27-2012, 12:26 AM
I wonder if Terry's ego would allow him to come back for the vet min

I don't think so. He will still retire a mav, but he'll get a decent contract and will take it.

dude1394
02-27-2012, 12:36 AM

I don't know what they will/will not take...just that if they want the most money they will need to stay with their own teams. But if they want to get on a team that will contend for 5 years plus, they'll have to take a discount.

92 Shoot em up
02-27-2012, 12:37 AM
You can literally smell the butthurt coming from SA fans lol

baseline bum
02-27-2012, 12:44 AM
You can literally smell the butthurt coming from SA fans lol

Explain to me how Dallas lands both with $24 million in cap room and no interesting players to move in sign and trade. You think Orlando or Brooklyn is going to trade their star for Shawn Marion's contract? They have a great chance to get one of those players this summer, but thinking they could get two is just ridiculously stupid.

monosylab1k
02-27-2012, 12:44 AM
does anyone here really think deron is worth the max?

I absolutely don't. He's very good but I don't think he's at all worth that kind of money. D-Will getting a max deal is like Joe Johnson getting one.

With that said, I'd still love having him with Dallas. But Deron with no Dwight isn't something that will keep Dallas competitive after Dirk is finished.

92 Shoot em up
02-27-2012, 12:47 AM
:lol Thinking Dallas gets these two via trade. Cuban is planning to get them through free agency, period. Love to see SA fans so butthurt

92 Shoot em up
02-27-2012, 12:48 AM
I absolutely don't. He's very good but I don't think he's at all worth that kind of money. D-Will getting a max deal is like Joe Johnson getting one.

With that said, I'd still love having him with Dallas. But Deron with no Dwight isn't something that will keep Dallas competitive after Dirk is finished.

You really just compared Williams to Joe Johnson? :lol

monosylab1k
02-27-2012, 12:51 AM
You really just compared Williams to Joe Johnson? :lol

Show me why that comparison doesn't work, or shut the fuck up.

92 Shoot em up
02-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Show me why that comparison doesn't work, or shut the fuck up.

Top 3 PG in the league and this dumbazz is comparing him to Joe f'n Johnson :lol Seriously though you can't be this fucking retarded right?

monosylab1k
02-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Top 3 PG in the league

Why? Because he can lead his team to a 10-25 record? That's the mark of a top 3 PG?

Show some proof or fuck yourself.

baseline bum
02-27-2012, 12:58 AM
:lol Thinking Dallas gets these two via trade. Cuban is planning to get them through free agency, period. Love to see SA fans so butthurt

Did you even read the article? They're talking about a sign and trade for getting the second player. The only salary they have left to trade after cutting Haywood is Marion.

DPG21920
02-27-2012, 12:58 AM
M

92 Shoot em up
02-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Why? Because he can lead his team to a 10-25 record? That's the mark of a top 3 PG?

Judging D-Will based on the scrubs he plays w/ in NJ :lol Keep posting you make urself look dumber and dumber each time. But you're right he's no Joe Johnson :lol ....fucking dumbazz

DPG21920
02-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Mono arguing w himself :lol

92 Shoot em up
02-27-2012, 01:01 AM

true true :lol

92 Shoot em up
02-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Did you even read the article? They're talking about a sign and trade for getting the second player. The only salary they have left to trade after cutting Haywood is Marion.

I know it's hard to see the Mavs win a title and now be on the brink of forming they own big three, while your sa spurs die a slow death but hey look on the bright side............. sorry that's all i got for you :lol

pass1st
02-27-2012, 01:05 AM
You guys should have been paying attention, Dwight's mom said he gonna stay with Magic

monosylab1k
02-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Judging D-Will based on the scrubs he plays w/ in NJ :lol

Chris Paul had a similar level of talent around him in NO last season and took them to the playoffs.

monosylab1k
02-27-2012, 01:06 AM

I'm just here to talk basketball.

92 Shoot em up
02-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Chris Paul had a similar level of talent around him in NO last season and took them to the playoffs.

Really?

monosylab1k
02-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Really?

Yes.

Latarian Milton
02-27-2012, 01:55 AM
dirk should accept a paycut imho, problems solved

Latarian Milton
02-27-2012, 02:05 AM

the team just play like shit imho. i think its a fair reflection of how shitty the team is and thats a good reason why DH should not join them

Mal
02-27-2012, 08:17 AM

Problem is, that he has 2 and half years left on his actual contract.

dude1394
02-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Explain to me how Dallas lands both with $24 million in cap room and no interesting players to move in sign and trade. You think Orlando or Brooklyn is going to trade their star for Shawn Marion's contract? They have a great chance to get one of those players this summer, but thinking they could get two is just ridiculously stupid.

So what does dirk make? 20? 58-20=38.

To do it everyone goes.

dude1394
02-27-2012, 09:40 AM

He just did in his last contract numbnuts.

DPG21920
02-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm just here to talk basketball.

Happy to see you back!

stretch
02-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I think its definitely possible that it can happen, more than DPG gives it credit for. But I still don't neccesarily expect it.

But how incredible would a trio of these three really be when you think about it? Is there a trio in NBA history, that complimented each other as perfectly as these three potentially would?

Dwight Howard - easy post buckets, lockdown paint defense, dominant rebounding
Deron Williams - great facilitator, very good scorer, can both penetrate and shoot
Dirk - versatile scorer that will give Dwight plenty of room to operate in the post, and one of the best closers in the game

In addition, all three guys are very consistent with plenty of playoff experience. None are really streak players, they generally bring the goods nightly.

Koolaid_Man
02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
the only option for Orlando is LA...

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/219224/The_Only_Option_For_Orlando

DPG21920
02-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Decent article to put the Mavs financial picture into focus. I don't think everything is correct (cap holds might be off), but you get the point:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/02/28/crunching-numbers-how-dallas-could-get-dwight-howard-deron-williams/?sct=nba_t11_a1

Koolaid_Man
02-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Decent article to put the Mavs financial picture into focus. I don't think everything is correct (cap holds might be off), but you get the point:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/02/28/crunching-numbers-how-dallas-could-get-dwight-howard-deron-williams/?sct=nba_t11_a1

took you 3 days to find that as a rebuttal...:lol and it's still a weak article...a very weak exploratory synopsis

DPG21920
02-28-2012, 09:35 PM
That doesn't make any sense. I've said this before the article.

Koolaid_Man
02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
That doesn't make any sense. I've said this before the article.

listen...and maintain silence...

the only option for Orlando is LA...

http://basketball.realgm.com/article...on_For_Orlando (http://basketball.realgm.com/article/219224/The_Only_Option_For_Orlando)

Ryan Fitzpatrick
02-28-2012, 09:54 PM
An excerpt from Kool's link:

People have often questioned his effort level and consistency in his time with the Lakers, but considering the completely unreasonable way Kobe Bryant boss-hogs the ball, it’s a wonder Bynum even bothers to show up at all. Big men are at the mercy of their perimeter players offensively, and the Lakers have one guard who shoots too much

Koolaid_Man
02-28-2012, 10:02 PM
An excerpt from Kool's link:

hey my fine friend there's a particular excerpt from this link I want you to pull as well...:lol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/03/kobe-bryant-critics-can-kiss-my-ass_n_818052.html

ahh fuck it let me extract it for you :lol

"Don't know, don't care. People that criticize can kiss my ass. I don't give a shit, I really don't. - Kobe

DPG21920
02-28-2012, 10:04 PM
What about this one:

Orlando has no interest in Andrew Bynum

Findog
02-28-2012, 10:07 PM
50/50 we get Deron, 0 percent we get D12

stretch
02-28-2012, 11:54 PM
hmm

someone here is awfully obsessed with the mavs free agency interests

Latarian Milton
02-29-2012, 07:24 AM

Deron & DH will end up joining the same franchise imho so if you don't get DH, you ain't gettin neither of them

celts could've never got KG if they hadn't sealed up ray allen before that, and if we hadn't signed bosh there'd be no hell of way that bald nigga bron could join us tbh, history repeating itself...

Texas Chili Dog
02-29-2012, 08:54 AM

More like 110% we get Deron.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20120228-mavs004.jpg.ece/BINARY/w700x467/mavs004.JPG

Might as well just go ahead and start making those DWill Mavs jerseys now.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Mav fans are some delusional bitches. Thinking he's coming here just because he's from here :lmao

stretch
02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Mav fans are some delusional bitches. Thinking he's coming here just because he's from here :lmao

Not neccesarily, as Chris Bosh is from Dallas but not many people really expected him to come here. You know why? Because Chris Bosh himself said he didn't have any intentions to do so, along with many reporters and people close to him.

On the other hand, you want to know why Mavs fans think the Mavs have a shot at Deron Williams? Probably because of the fact that he himself has made it known he wouldn't mind coming back to Dallas, as well as many reporters and people close to him saying the same things.

fitzgerald
02-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Not neccesarily, as Chris Bosh is from Dallas but not many people really expected him to come here. You know why? Because Chris Bosh himself said he didn't have any intentions to do so, along with many reporters and people close to him.

On the other hand, you want to know why Mavs fans think the Mavs have a shot at Deron Williams? Probably because of the fact that he himself has made it known he wouldn't mind coming back to Dallas, as well as many reporters and people close to him saying the same things.

And not to mention his in-laws live here as well. Wives can influence more than you think.

Texas Chili Dog
03-01-2012, 12:01 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/whissz.png

Again, just start making those DWill Mavs jerseys now.

Trainwreck2100
03-01-2012, 12:03 AM
i call busllshit on that twitter. His slogan should be tall baller from the D, not G

DPG21920
07-19-2012, 03:21 PM
I think its definitely possible that it can happen, more than DPG gives it credit for. But I still don't neccesarily expect it.

But how incredible would a trio of these three really be when you think about it? Is there a trio in NBA history, that complimented each other as perfectly as these three potentially would?

Dwight Howard - easy post buckets, lockdown paint defense, dominant rebounding
Deron Williams - great facilitator, very good scorer, can both penetrate and shoot
Dirk - versatile scorer that will give Dwight plenty of room to operate in the post, and one of the best closers in the game

In addition, all three guys are very consistent with plenty of playoff experience. None are really streak players, they generally bring the goods nightly.

Interesting to read back at this - we can all get caught up in all the reports flying around, but it's hard to stop and see the big picture and what is really going on, even though we typically know better.

mavs>spurs
07-19-2012, 03:22 PM
If dwight wasn't a dumbass and opted back in, then it probably happens.

djohn2oo8
07-19-2012, 03:32 PM
If dwight wasn't a dumbass and opted back in, then it probably happens.
If Dwight didn't opt in, he'd be in Brooklyn tbh.

DPG21920
07-19-2012, 03:32 PM
Yup ^