PDA

View Full Version : Green's new contract

elemento
02-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Well,

Considering that his contract expires this season and he is playing well, how much you guys think would be a good value to keep him around ?

Do you guys think he will receive an offer from other teams?

Reck
02-26-2012, 11:24 PM
San Ant will keep him for a few years.

Ditty
02-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Anything over $5 million would be a gamble especially with how inconsistent he can be, if he return for $2-$3 million for a few seasons I'm up for it, but at the same time I think bringing Neal back will be the first option to pay him.

CGD
02-26-2012, 11:33 PM
The good thing is the spurs can let the market price him for them, and then match since he's restricted. I think he'll definitely get offers this summer, but I don't see any team overpaying for him such that the Spurs would think twice about matching or not.

CGD
02-26-2012, 11:36 PM
A
I'm up for it, but at the same time I think bringing Neal back will be the first option to pay him.

We don't have to deal with having to pay Neal for two more years...

HarlemHeat37
02-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Green isn't good enough to worry about this, tbh..

Hoops Czar
02-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Green should be coming off the bench. He deserves nothing more than 1 mil. After that, he's too pricey.

TimmehC
02-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Seems like he'll probably at least get close to MLE-level offers.

Hoops Czar
02-26-2012, 11:49 PM

Your overvaluing his net worth. He won't get anything close to that from the Spurs.

Ditty
02-26-2012, 11:56 PM
We don't have to deal with having to pay Neal for two more years...

Neal is a free agent himself this summer, and making less then a million. I'm pretty sure he is going to get a nice raise along with Green, which I think Neal will be the one getting a little less then the MLE, from the Spurs and possibly the full MLE from some teams if he has a solid playoffs.

Mel_13
02-26-2012, 11:59 PM

Unless Green has some Sjax moments during a deep playoff run, there's no way he gets offers near the full MLE.

Neal is a free agent himself this summer, and making less then a million. I'm pretty sure he is going to get a nice raise along with Green, which I think Neal will be the one getting a little less then the MLE, from the Spurs and possibly the full MLE from some teams if he has a solid playoffs.

Neal is under contract through the 2012-13 season.

HarlemHeat37
02-27-2012, 12:02 AM
:lol Danny Green is a decent player, he's not a near MLE player..he's an average defender and a streaky shooter that provides energy..a dime a dozen player IMO..

jestersmash
02-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Anything over $5 million would be a gamble especially with how inconsistent he can be, if he return for $2-$3 million for a few seasons I'm up for it, but at the same time I think bringing Neal back will be the first option to pay him.

$5 million over how many years?

I mean, I know you weren't just suggesting that the Spurs pay anything close to $5 million per year, so I'm just wondering how long you expect a hypothetical $5 million contract to be. 2-3 years I'm guessing?

Ditty
02-27-2012, 12:07 AM
$5 million over how many years?

I mean, I know you weren't just suggesting that the Spurs pay anything close to $5 million per year, so I'm just wondering how long you expect a hypothetical $5 million contract to be. 2-3 years I'm guessing?

I said it wrong...starting at $5 million per year.

Ditty
02-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Neal is under contract through the 2012-13 season.

Well I guess I need to stop reading hoopshype because they have him as a free agent for this summer :lol

Mel_13
02-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Well I guess I need to stop reading hoopshype because they have him as a free agent for this summer :lol

Shamsports is a much better source of info. Hoopshype not only doesn't show Neal's third year, it also doesn't show that the Spurs can tender a Qualifying Offer to Green to make him a restricted FA.

Mouse over the player's name for contract details:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-27-2012, 12:15 AM
If he stays a rotation player during the playoff stretch, I'd say 3yr/$14M is a good deal.

Ditty
02-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Shamsports is a much better source of info. Hoopshype not only doesn't show Neal's third year, it also doesn't show that the Spurs can tender a Qualifying Offer to Green to make him a restricted FA.

Mouse over the player's name for contract details:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

Thanks well I guess that's a good thing we can wait to pay Neal until next summer, but hopefully we can get him a extension if he has a solid postseason run,

timvp
02-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Green is still an enigma. He could fizzle out and remain a minimum-salaried fringe NBA player. Or, if he continues to start and rediscovers his outside shot, he could become a middle class Arron Afflalo. It could go either way. The former is more likely but I wouldn't count out the latter just yet.

Mel_13
02-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks well I guess that's a good thing we can wait to pay Neal until next summer, but hopefully we can get him a extension if he has a solid postseason run,

Can't extend a player on a three year contract. Neal will be a restricted FA after his third season so the Spurs will be able to match any offers.

CGD
02-27-2012, 12:23 AM
He should get no more than Bonnor money ( 9m/3yrs) if we have to match. Solid role player, who's probably near his ceiling talent-wise.

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2012, 12:27 AM
him and neal should be MLE each on the market, nothing wrong with that, i think Green can still improve his game

G-Dawgg
02-27-2012, 12:29 AM
I think if we keep him around for a few years he and Kawhi could be part of an awsome defensive perimeter. I think Danny Green has the potential to be a Doug Christie-like player.

Darkwaters
02-27-2012, 01:35 AM
He should get no more than Bonnor money ( 9m/3yrs) if we have to match. Solid role player, who's probably near his ceiling talent-wise.

Yep, thats about the absolute max I pay him. I was personally thinking 10m/3yrs, so we're right in the same ballpark. But those numbers are also dependent on him finding his outside shot again and contributing the rest of the season and playoffs.

I love Danny Green and want him around, but the guy has just recently gone from D-League scrub to viable NBA player. That doesn't translate to big bucks, at least not for guards. Now if he were 7'2 on the other hand...

outmap
02-27-2012, 02:18 AM
He will be offered a Bonner to Splitter type of contract (3 years).

DMC
02-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Green isn't good enough to worry about this, tbh..
This is true.

There are two dozen Danny Greens in the league who pretty much go unnoticed because they don't get playing time.

I would rather get a good defender. Green is a poor man's George Hill. I like him, but he's not going to do much for us.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-27-2012, 02:53 AM
I think the Spurs will let him find an offer and decide if they'd match when they see one, meaning they won't be in a hurry to sign him barring a miraculous playoff showing, which is unlikely. Then some team will overpay for him for something like 3 years and 9 million and the Spurs won't match.

jesterbobman
02-27-2012, 03:26 AM
Assuming RJ amnesty, they'll use cap space and address him after they've signed someone, as his restricted offer is so low. It'll probably be a wait and match approach, as Green's scoring in terms of PPG will probably indicate that he gets a relatively low contract, which he'd probably be worth. Whatever happens though, it's unlikely that his contract affects the FA plans.

therealtruth
02-27-2012, 03:30 AM
I think Green is more valuable to the Spurs than any other team. He's sort of like a jack of all trades and master of none. He fills a glue guy role. Teams usually don't pay too much money for those type of players.

Rapper
02-27-2012, 03:31 AM
2 yrs / 4 M

Darkwaters
02-27-2012, 05:45 AM
2 yrs / 4 M

Actually, I like that idea and it's probably fair. Make the second year only partially guaranteed. This gives Danny some guaranteed bucks but also allows the Spurs to walk away pretty easily if hes just a flash in the pan. And by the time the contract is up Danny will still be young enough to sign a relatively lucrative deal, assuming he performs to a point deserving of it.

Mal
02-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Actually, I like that idea and it's probably fair. Make the second year only partially guaranteed. This gives Danny some guaranteed bucks but also allows the Spurs to walk away pretty easily if hes just a flash in the pan. And by the time the contract is up Danny will still be young enough to sign a relatively lucrative deal, assuming he performs to a point deserving of it.

No way. 8-9 mil over 3 year, and 3rd year could be TO/PO/partially guaranteed. Spurs will keep a guy who is here almost 2 years, and know the system. Even if it costs 700k-1mil per year more.

SpurNation
02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
8-9 mil over 3 year, and 3rd year could be TO/PO/partially guaranteed. Spurs will keep a guy who is here almost 2 years, and know the system. Even if it costs 700k-1mil per year more.

Probably this only IF Green solidifies himself by the end of this season (playoffs) as a dependable, consistent, established rotation player.

Also,,,got to consider the new cba. Some players on roster this year for teams won't even be a consideration for roster (or get the same money as in the past) heading into the new cba when current contracts expire. Values for players according to their performances and expectations are yet to be determined heading into the new cba.

Mal
02-27-2012, 08:44 AM
If Green didnt prove him, or even choke badly, Spurs wouldnt want him anyway.

elemento
02-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Personally i think it will be something like 3y/7.5m at most, making it 2.5m per year.

Thabo Sefolosha, who is en elite defender with an outside shot makes 3.5m a year. Shane Battier gets 3m/year (even though he gave the Heat a discount to chase a ring). Tony Allen also makes 3m/year. And those guys are elite perimeter defenders in the NBA.

jgome21
02-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Green should be coming off the bench. He deserves nothing more than 1 mil. After that, he's too pricey.

I think he's woth more than just 1 mil esp if matt bonner is makin like 4 mil a season. He plays solid D and is a streaky shooter. I like his energy on the defensive end. If he can keep this up and get into the rotation come playoff time, then he's worth paying.

HarlemHeat37
02-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Green's defense looks better than it actually is, because he's compared to the rest of the defensive players on the Spurs, which are mostly mediocre of worse..

He shows flashes of being a good defender, but he's inconsistent..he's a decent enough team defender, but he's average as a stopper, and he still struggles to get around screens..

spurs1990
02-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Harlem, DMC, Timvp have all consistently sought to minimize Green's impact this entire season.

Funny thing is, the guy is starting on this team, and has averaged more minutes than anyone other than Parker in the last month.

So apparently Popovich doesn't share your "dime a dozen, fringe, one of two dozen" sentiments. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the court (for the 4th best record in the entire league by the way).

Lastly he's a character guy; the franchise thrives on this attribute. Please go ahead and list a player around the league making the same amount that you would want right now.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Harlem, DMC, Timvp have all consistently sought to minimize Green's impact this entire season.

Funny thing is, the guy is starting on this team, and has averaged more minutes than anyone other than Parker in the last month.

So apparently Popovich doesn't share your "dime a dozen, fringe, one of two dozen" sentiments. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the court (for the 4th best record in the entire league by the way).

Lastly he's a character guy; the franchise thrives on this attribute. Please go ahead and list a player around the league making the same amount that you would want right now.

So what contract would you give him?

DMC
02-27-2012, 01:06 PM

Wow, Green is a starter. I learn something new every day. I've always said good things about him, but in a less zealous, more realistic fashion than you seem to think.

Roger Mason Jr says hello.

So do you want to discuss salary or attributes?

The ADMIRAL 50
02-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Personally i think it will be something like 3y/7.5m at most, making it 2.5m per year.

Thabo Sefolosha, who is en elite defender with an outside shot makes 3.5m a year. Shane Battier gets 3m/year (even though he gave the Heat a discount to chase a ring). Tony Allen also makes 3m/year. And those guys are elite perimeter defenders in the NBA.

:tu good info for contract comparisons elemento

I think the 3 yrs/7.5 mill sounds about right. Green really is nowhere near an elite level perimeter defender in this league yet. The reason he looks so good defensively to many on this board is that he plays hard on that end constantly, but realistically he is still a very flawed defender at times. He can overplay his man and has trouble with screens, but he certainly has the upside, and the environment, to improve enough to become a top defender.

If another teams offers Green anything north of 3 yrs/12 or even 4 yrs/15 mill no way the Spurs match. He is definitely the type of player that could end up looking very, very overpaid is he gets a big contract from a different squad and doesnt continue improving.

temujin
02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Danny Green was playing for Ljubljana some 3 months ago, a team that was quickly eliminated from the Euroleague picture.
In this environment, Danny Green was OK, but nothing really more.
He goes to SA, he is given a chance and makes use of it.
He becomes a part of the rotation once Ginobili gets injured.
And stays part of the rotation.
He often, more often than not in fact, ends up being on the court at the end of close games.
That's really the best indication of whether Pop likes him or not.
Not whether he starts him. It's who finishes close games not who starts that matters.
In the meantime, the first round pick Anderson is long forgotten at the end of the bench, and for good cause. In fact, the team does NOT pick up his option.

All this, while in the regular season, which is not the time which matters the most for the Spurs organization (bar Bonner).

At the end, Green will be mostly evaluated in PO games. If he keeps playing like he has, he'll be offered a decent enough contract, anywhere between 2-2,5 M per 2/3 years, and he better grab it, because he is the kind of player that looks better in Pop's organized system than he really is.

beachwood
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM

+1

I'm actually a little surprised by how much people around here undervalue Green. From what I've seen out of him this season, there's no way we have the record we have now without him. After TD, Duncan and Tiago, Green has been the most important piece imo. He's probably even ahead of Tiago in some aspects because he plays more minutes.

Sure he's streaky and inconsistent, but his effort out there is undeniable. And he brings intangibles that only Manu can top. If you watch Green, he's always making a play on the ball. I believe he's only going to get better. This is his first real season in the league.

I think he's undervalued because he does the things he does with seemingly such little effort.

There's a reason Pop has put him in the starting lineup and it's well deserved at this time.

Agloco
02-27-2012, 03:30 PM
2 yrs / 4 M

This. I was actually thinking 2ys / 3-4 mil.

HarlemHeat37
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
:lol Popovich has also liked and started: Keith Bogans, Roger Mason, 40 year old Michael Finley, etc..

Danny Green's shooting percentages have plummeted after a hot start..his 3-point % went from 45 to 37..he's now shooting 40% from the field, after being around 47-48 or so..

His adjusted +/- was around +8, one of the best on the team..it has plummeted to +1..

It appears that he has regressed to the expected norm..he's an 8th or 9th man on a title team, probably..

He has the ability to provide more in certain games, like most other players..his stock will rise if he plays well in the post-season, but as of right now, I'd actually say he's overrated on SpursTalk..

angelbelow
02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
I'd probably do a 3 year 3 million with a team option for the 3rd. Depending on how good his agent is he might be able to squeeze out a 3 year 5 million dollar contract.