PDA

View Full Version : ASG interview: Steve Smith's thoughts on the Spurs

Em-City
02-27-2012, 08:25 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2012/02/26/120226smithmov-2016062

Didn't see it posted, but hey, it's a slow news day Spurs-wise.

SamoanTD
02-27-2012, 09:50 AM
why cant these guys say this when there on tv lol

rmt
02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
So why do so many people see Splitter as the big key but not Pop? :depressed

wildbill2u
02-27-2012, 05:15 PM

Barkley has been predicting the Spurs win the WCF and he keeps saying that Pop is the best coach in the NBA today.

But they never spend much time on the Spurs so it's easy to miss. They all tend to slobber over the Heat and Linsanity and the glamour squads to excess.

therealtruth
02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
So why do so many people see Splitter as the big key but not Pop? :depressed

I think Pop has had enough talent to win it all or go further in the playoffs the past two seasons. He just hasn't taken advantage of it because of his Bonner love. Bonner has not earned his keep in the playoffs but Pop keeps using him.

SA210
02-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I think Pop has had enough talent to win it all or go further in the playoffs the past two seasons. He just hasn't taken advantage of it because of his Bonner love. Bonner has not earned his keep in the playoffs but Pop keeps using him.

Em-City
02-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Barkley has been predicting the Spurs win the WCF and he keeps saying that Pop is the best coach in the NBA today.

But they never spend much time on the Spurs so it's easy to miss. They all tend to slobber over the Heat and Linsanity and the glamour squads to excess.

.. not to mention skip bayless has been riding the spurs all season

ThaBigFundamental21
02-27-2012, 06:53 PM

I guess we are watching 2 different teams because I haven't seen it. This year maybe. The past 2, NO WAY. Even so, this year if the Spurs don't add a big man they aren't going to do a thing.

therealtruth
02-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I guess we are watching 2 different teams because I haven't seen it. This year maybe. The past 2, NO WAY. Even so, this year if the Spurs don't add a big man they aren't going to do a thing.

Before 09-10 season Pop said that he should be fired if they didn't win it all that year. Spurs beat writers were saying it was the one of the most talented Spurs team ever.

lefty
02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Your screenname should be ThabigFundamentals

Kindergarten Cop
02-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Before 09-10 season Pop said that he should be fired if they didn't win it all that year. Spurs beat writers were saying it was the one of the most talented Spurs team ever.

That was when we were all optimistic that RJ would actually contribute something - but we all know how that has turned out thus far. I'm still holding out hope that he can do SOMETHING to justify keeping him this year (and maybe even next). I know that it's not realistic to hope for, but I'm not giving up just yet.

therealtruth
02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
That was when we were all optimistic that RJ would actually contribute something - but we all know how that has turned out thus far. I'm still holding out hope that he can do SOMETHING to justify keeping him this year (and maybe even next). I know that it's not realistic to hope for, but I'm not giving up just yet.

Our lack of decent big men and Pop's Bonner love has been more of a detriment than RJ's performance as a fourth option. In '10 the only big that could play good pick and roll defense, Dice, didn't play enough against the Suns. Last year Splitter sat on the bench while the Grizzlies bigs had a field day.

Kindergarten Cop
02-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Our lack of decent big men and Pop's Bonner love has been more of a detriment than RJ's performance as a fourth option. In '10 the only big that could play good pick and roll defense, Dice, didn't play enough against the Suns. Last year Splitter sat on the bench while the Grizzlies bigs had a field day.

I was referring to your comment about this:

"Before 09-10 season Pop said that he should be fired if they didn't win it all that year. Spurs beat writers were saying it was the one of the most talented Spurs team ever."

I don't think the prognosticators were referring to Dice or Splitter when they were talking about all of our "talent". They, along with most of us here, had HUGE hopes for RJ along with the big three.

I think our loss to Phoenix had more to do with the Suns going into video game mode from behind the arc that year. As for last year, the injury to Manu had a lot to do with that loss too.

Sean Cagney
02-27-2012, 10:18 PM

Yeah on paper it was, then RJ became the one we know and you know the rest.