PDA

View Full Version : Andray Blatche Being Shopped

VBM
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Per Rotoworld

The Wizards have "aggressively tried to deal" Andray Blatche (calf, day-to-day) ahead of the March 15 trade deadline, sources tell the Washington Post.
Predictably, the Post says that the Wizards have "struggled to find any takers." That's because Blatche is still owed nearly $23 million after this season and comes with serious character questions. The Bobcats want to get rid of Tyrus Thomas, but they don't even want the headache that is Blatche. Getting Blatche healthy and back on the court will be step one for a trade.

Rather overpay this dude than RJ...maybe Washington would think the opposite.

TimmehC
02-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Dude is pretty much the anti-Spur. Selfish, whines and complains, demands more touches/shots.

VBM
02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Dude is pretty much the anti-Spur. Selfish, whines and complains, demands more touches/shots.

I'd still take him over Bonner/Blair.

elemento
02-27-2012, 03:49 PM

this

He will never be a Spur.

VBM
02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
this

He will never be a Spur.

Yet Pop has gone after the likes of JR Smith (multiple times) and Kenyon Martin recently. Are they prototypical Spurs?

jermaine
02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
I want tyrus Thomas badly. On the spurs that is.

manufan10
02-27-2012, 03:58 PM
I want tyrus Thomas badly. On the spurs that is.

Nice save. :lol

Mel_13
02-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Yet Pop has gone after the likes of JR Smith (multiple times) and Kenyon Martin recently. Are they prototypical Spurs?

Smith was on a cheap rookie contract and was being traded for a player on a much larger contract (Barry). Martin would have cost no more than the mini-MLE (3yrs/9M). Blatche is owed more than 23 million after the end of this season. The situations of Smith, Martin, and Blatche are not the least bit comparable.

Darkwaters
02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Per Rotoworld

Rather overpay this dude than RJ...maybe Washington would think the opposite.

How many times does it have to be said? RJ isn't getting traded for another bad contract on a player the Spurs don't want to keep for the duration. They can amnesty him this offseason and gain much more that way than by taking on a guy like Blatche.

VBM
02-27-2012, 04:02 PM
How many times does it have to be said? RJ isn't getting traded for another bad contract on a player the Spurs don't want to keep for the duration. They can amnesty him this offseason and gain much more that way than by taking on a guy like Blatche.

The problem is the Spurs are pretty low on most free agents' lists of wanted destinations. Cap space doesn't automatically mean we'll get a solid big in free agency.

elemento
02-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Have you seen Blatche's contract ?

One thing is to take a gamble on a vet like Martin, who was given a 1y/2,5m contract. It's a low-risk move. Getting Blatche isn't.

Darkwaters
02-27-2012, 04:06 PM
The problem is the Spurs are pretty low on most free agents' lists of wanted destinations. Cap space doesn't automatically mean we'll get a solid big in free agency.

You realize that with cap space you can also absorb a big contract without sending equal value in return, right? Cap space doesn't have to translate into signings.

VBM
02-27-2012, 04:15 PM
You realize that with cap space you can also absorb a big contract without sending equal value in return, right? Cap space doesn't have to translate into signings.

Sure, but if you're absorbing a big contract, it's probably in a salary dump situation for another team where the player coming in will be viewed as overpaid for his skill set. It's the same situation basically.

I guess here's the real question...who would be better pickups that are available?

Dex
02-27-2012, 04:16 PM
I was hoping this would be another Antoine Walker / Steve Nash thread. :(

VBM
02-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Ha...just saw this.

What you are about to read is a hypothetical conversation between a representative of the player personnel management of the Washington Wizards and of the San Antonio Spurs. Those representatives could be Ernie Grunfeld and R.C. Burford, they could be anyone. Their roles are, however, played by Kyle Weidie of Truth About It.net and Tim Varner of TrueHoop Spurs blog 48 Minutes of Hell. Their conversation is about Andray Blatche.

MONDAY, JANUARY 16

[The Spurs are currently 9-3, having beaten the Phoenix Suns at home by 11 on Sunday; the Wizards are 1-11, having lost to the Philadelphia for the second time in a row on Saturday.]

SAN ANTONIO, 10 AM:

What do the Wizards want back in return for Blatche?

Curious….

WASHINGTON, 10 PM:

Look, we’re not having a fire sale, but he’s a very movable player, if you catch my drift. Since you emailed me, what’s his value to you?

TUESDAY, JANUARY 17

SAN ANTONIO, 7:30 AM:

Look, we only have 3.5 bigs in our rotation. D-League signings aren’t going to do. The .5 is Matt Bonner, and we understand he isn’t going to cut it.

Here’s what we can offer: Richard Jefferson for Andray Blatche and Mo Evans.

Jefferson is what he is. In the past two seasons, he’s transformed himself into a great three point shooter.

He still scores a little in the paint and on pull ups. Good locker room guy. He’ll help you.

WASHINGTON, 7:10 PM:

I’m listening, but you can’t expect me to let you shed that salary [Jefferson is owed $21.2 million total through 2013-14] while giving the potentially greater return in talent and age [Blatche's contract is more cap friendly, but he is owed about $23.3 million through 2014-15]. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, how can you better entice me to get “rid” of Blatche?

SAN ANTONIO, 7:12 PM:

Look, no one is denying Blatche’s talent, but please don’t deny he isn’t a problem for you. We both know you need to move him. It took a long time for me to even consider calling you about someone who could be a threat to our culture. We would like to do something, but we’re not desperate enough to do bad business with an equally desperate partner.

WASHINGTON, 7:13 PM:

Wait, are you confident in the culture you’ve built or not? Andray is not a bad person, just not fit to be a primary piece in a franchise, especially a rebuild like ours. I’ll be honest, we fu*ked up big time with Blatche… then Ted [Leonsis] made it worse by wanting to extend his contract. But around the right guys, your guys, it could be totally different story.

SAN ANTONIO, 7:32 PM:

Look, I’m not sure I can sell this to Peter Holt as my offer stands, and Popovich has less patience for problem children than Flip Saunders.

WASHINGTON, 7:44 PM:

Well, how do you potentially sweeten the deal?

SAN ANTONIO, 7:52 PM:

I guess what I’m saying is there is no sweetener. RJ is the offer.

WASHINGTON, 8:03 PM:

The Washington Wizards politely decline at this juncture.

[Meanwhile, representatives in Washington contact representatives in Atlanta, (played by Hoopinion writer Bret LaGree) -- Atlanta has recently lost Al Horford to injury for the season.]

WASHINGTON, 9:48 PM:

Hey, what does Atlanta want for Blatche? I mean, you can say you’re not *that* desperate, but you are. At least more than we are…

What about Marvin Williams? Do you really still want him on your team? Let’s talk.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 18

ATLANTA, 11:15 AM:

I’m lobbying for the coaching staff to give more minutes to Marvin [Williams]. Granted, that says as much about the alternatives (Willie Green, Jason Collins, Ivan Johnson) as it does about Marvin.

Without Horford we need either an efficient, low-usage guy or a really good offensive rebounder to track down all the missed shots we’re going to see. Blatche doesn’t qualify on either count.

I don’t have the numbers in front of me, what are Blatche’s contract details? There might be some interest if acquiring him could play into us creating cap room for the Summer of 2013.

WASHINGTON, 11:20 AM:

You would *only* have to pay Blatche around $23 million total through 2014-15.

As long as there aren’t any clubs for him to find trouble at in Atlanta, 7-Day Dray should bring a clean bill of goods.

ATLANTA:

{RADIO SILENCE}

TUESDAY, JANUARY 24

[Note: Since the last exchange between San Antonio and Washington, the Wizards have been the Wizards, losing all games aside from a win against Oklahoma City; San Antonio has gone 2-3, losing to the Heat and Rockets on the road, and to the Kings at home, but beating both the Magic and the Hornets on the road.]

WASHINGTON, 1:33 AM:

So will you take Blatche and [Ronny] Turiaf for Jefferson and [Tiago] Splitter?

SAN ANTONIO, 7:05 AM:

Definitely not. Won’t trade Splitter. Given locker room concerns and contracts, prefer him straight up over Blatche. Blatche is far more talented, but he also brings far more risk.

WASHINGTON, 8:54 AM:

Switch Blair for Splitter and you’ve got yourself a deal. I’ll call the league office and get the paperwork started.

SAN ANTONIO, 9:13 AM:

Hmm. I’ll give it some thought. Although now, YOU have to sweeten the deal. We want your 2012 second round pick. Blair is our starting center. Good PER. Very coachable. Young. Consistent.

[Meanwhile, the Washington Wizards fire Flip Saunders.]

SAN ANTONIO, 5:37 PM:

I thought about your counter offer, and we won’t include Blair.

Blair is not a great player, but he’s consistent. No risks. Good offensive production. $800,000 per year.

I return to my offer of Jefferson for Blatche straight up.

Looking at his numbers this season (and his reputation), I can’t imagine you’ll get better offers.

WASHINGTON, 5:42 PM:

WAIT!…

We’ll throw in that second round pick (you know it’s going to be #31)….

Look, Blatche is a good guy, means well, truly, just needs more guidance and accountability.

And has shown fragments of try lately, it’s just that his confidence, and reputation, is shot here in D.C. … He could do a lot off the bench in S.A., especially if he doesn’t feel the pressure to be a scoring option.

SAN ANTONIO, 5:45 PM:

Earlier today I watched an incredible video that showed Blatche nearly blocking out Brandon Bass. It was an all-timer. If Popovich sees that video, I’ll lose my job for even talking to you about Blatche.

WASHINGTON, 5:48 PM:

Well, you see… What had happened was… Um… Somebody said something, distracted him… It was Sam Cassell, we’ll get him to be quiet.

SAN ANTONIO, 5:51 PM:

Can I interest you in Matt Bonner?

WASHINGTON, 6:01 PM:

I’ll keep you on speed dial.

02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
not saying i like blatche but his salary isn't TOO bad. perkins is making more money than him. blatche needs to be seriously coached back into shape though.

G-Dawgg
02-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Andray Blatche is a ball hog, and refuses to pass the ball EVER. The worst basketball IQ. This guy is a team chemistry killer. Hell no....

stephen jackson
02-27-2012, 05:17 PM
picky mutherfuckers, we got trash on our frontline alongside timmy.

tuncaboylu
02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
His contract is too long, even longer than Jefferson.

VBM
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
His contract is too long, even longer than Jefferson.

But Jefferson is old and trash, whereas Blatche is 25 and not trash

DPG21920
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
For what it would take to get him (dumping RJ) I would do it. If you can dump RJ while at least giving yourself a chance to improve at a position of need, you have to do it IMO.

We know the Spurs aren't dumping Tiago, so the only way this works is RJ or RJ/Blair, so again under that circumstance yes.

Doubtful that would get done though.

Muser
02-27-2012, 05:36 PM
If they'd take RJ/Blair it would be a steal.

William Hung
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Without Horford we need either an efficient, low-usage guy or a really good offensive rebounder to track down all the missed shots we’re going to see.

:lol

DesignatedT
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Washington won't pull the trigger on that though, not unless we sweeten up nice for them.

CGD
02-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Nah, looking at their Roster, he is the only guy that it makes sense to amnesty. Everyone is on shorter deals or on a rookie contract. Just wait until they amnesty him to take a look.

5in10
02-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Jefferson=cap space this summer. Were not going to trade him for anything but another expiring deal, unless the talent we get back is too much to pass up. Blatche would ruin our summer of cap space. Blair,Bonner,Joseph, and Anderson seem to be our only assets. I would much rather make a run at Hibbert, Lopez, or Batum this summer than to get blatche now.

DPG21920
02-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Is it just me or does the overall rumor mill seem much quieter than in years past (league wide, not just Spurs).

benefactor
02-27-2012, 07:53 PM

I knew this was going to be posted as soon as I saw it this morning.

No...just no. Allow me to give you three reasons why...$7,118,502, $7,794,921 and $8,471,339. Basically anyone who agrees to pay this to Blatche is saying they want to do the exact same fuck up the Spurs are currently trying to get out of...pay a player big money and hope that he becomes something.

You pay that type of money to a known quantity, not a player that could potentially live up to the money like they thought RJ would.

VBM
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I agree you pay a known quantity. But that individual has to want to play in san antonio

DPG21920
02-27-2012, 08:08 PM

I knew this was going to be posted as soon as I saw it this morning.

No...just no. Allow me to give you three reasons why...$7,118,502, $7,794,921 and $8,471,339. Basically anyone who agrees to pay this to Blatche is saying they want to do the exact same fuck up the Spurs are currently trying to get out of...pay a player big money and hope that he becomes something.

You pay that type of money to a known quantity, not a player that could potentially live up to the money like they thought RJ would.

It's just tough because we as fans want to win now and Blatche at least has potential to help at a position of need. But with his contract, plus (like Bruno has said) the fact RJ can be amnestied makes a deal like his tough for the Spurs.

But with the window closing, it's hard to not try to improve now vs waiting another year because of cap space. As far as asset for asset now though, RJ for Blatche is a tough one for basketball reasons.

Financially doesn't make sense though.

DesignatedT
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Even though Blatches contract is pretty bad I can't imagine him being that difficult to move if lets say he doesn't work out after a year or 2. Big men are of much higher demand in this league and he will still only be around 27 at that time. Unlike RJ who is already in his 30s and is a 6'7 forward which are a dime a dozen in this league.

Mal
02-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Jefferson=cap space this summer. Were not going to trade him for anything but another expiring deal, unless the talent we get back is too much to pass up. Blatche would ruin our summer of cap space.

This !

My guess is that Spurs would go after Batum or Hibbert with cap space clear by amnesting Dick and Duncan 21 mil coming off the books.

Spurs wont risk chances to land player they want, only to get someone who is not good enough for Wizards.

DPG21920
02-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Keep in mind Duncan by all accounts seems like he will keep playing. So he'll likely get another contract.

Seventyniner
02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
This goes back to something I've thought earlier: the only way the Spurs can trade RJ is to get a worse contract back.

benefactor
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
It's just tough because we as fans want to win now and Blatche at least has potential to help at a position of need. But with his contract, plus (like Bruno has said) the fact RJ can be amnestied makes a deal like his tough for the Spurs.

But with the window closing, it's hard to not try to improve now vs waiting another year because of cap space. As far as asset for asset now though, RJ for Blatche is a tough one for basketball reasons.

Financially doesn't make sense though.
Just like RJ had the potential.

If the Spurs are going to make moves to win now they need just a little bit more certainty...especially if they are going to pay 23+ million to get it.

MR.SILVER&BLack
02-27-2012, 09:02 PM
would rather try and move blair, anderson &/or joesphs for a decent bench big or Sign a waived player but dont expect a better player to become available for trade that the Spurs could realistically aquire this season.

VBM
02-27-2012, 09:56 PM
would rather try and move blair, anderson &/or joesphs for a decent bench big or Sign a waived player but dont expect a better player to become available for trade that the Spurs could realistically aquire this season.

Define "decent big." And again, you're assuming decent waived players will pick SA over LA, Miami or one of those teams.

angelbelow
02-28-2012, 02:14 AM
Trading for Blatche would effectively ruin our chances at a championship and would suck the life out of our locker room. A player as "talented" as he is unable to make noise on a team as bad as the Wizards? He's more known for being injury prone and flawed character then a contributing nba player.

Wouldn't trade RJ for him either. Blatche would be just as useless as RJ (arguably more due to his character issues) and we won't be able to amnesty him in the offseason. His trade value is pretty fucking low already, just imagine if he came to SA and flopped even more.

mountainballer
02-28-2012, 03:57 AM
trading for blatche would effectively ruin our chances at a championship and would suck the life out of our locker room. A player as "talented" as he is unable to make noise on a team as bad as the wizards? He's more known for being injury prone and flawed character then a contributing nba player.

Wouldn't trade rj for him either. Blatche would be just as useless as rj (arguably more due to his character issues) and we won't be able to amnesty him in the offseason. His trade value is pretty fucking low already, just imagine if he came to sa and flopped even more.

+1

sasffl
02-28-2012, 04:05 AM
McGee is worth being traded rather than his selfish guy

G-Dawgg
02-28-2012, 06:07 AM
McGee is worth being traded rather than his selfish guy

Agreed.

VBM
02-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Agreed.

Agreed x2, but we don't have the pieces for him.

txstr1986
02-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Agreed x2, but we don't have the pieces for him.

Agreed x3