PDA

View Full Version : the Hell that is the AAC

BUMP
02-28-2012, 12:50 PM
"The Wave" and "The Dot Race" have had a love child using very strong fertility drugs, and its name is The American Airlines Center of Dallas, TX.

Is there a worse venue for a basketball fan to watch a live game? (Well, a fan over the age of 12 that is...)

From the mic'd rims to the plastic clappers given free with every seat, watching a Mavs game live is the equivalent of watching basketball on television while someone pokes your forehead with their finger repeatedly for 2 and a half hours. Known as the AAC, it seems to be a laboratory for ADD. It's as though they set it up to distract as many people from the actual game as possible, which is curious since the Mavs are actually a good team and entertaining in their own right. You have movie clips (sponsored, of course, by Blockbuster) during the game, sound effects, and the most obnoxious PA announcer in the history of human competition (imagine a Texas A&M Yell Leader with a microphone). The only time he stops talking long enough to take a breath is when he announces a player on the opposing team... I'm convinced he is actually inhaling as he reads their name when they make a basket or substitution.

Fans lucky enough to arrive early enough are treated to the emcee stylings of Chris Arnold, who is basically Stuart Scott without the journalistic talent. Once he's done pimping the latest Mavs gear, fans can look out for one of the 800 carnies throwing frisbees, slinging T-shirts, tossing basketballs or hyping up the crowd. It's enough to make you wish they would just show the commercials from the TV broadcast during timeouts. The costumed stunt dunker (MavsMan) seems like a welcome return to classic basketball normalsy by comparison. They have a drum line. They have dancing fat guys.

But maybe the fans deserve it.

Watching a game with Mavericks fans is like sitting in a calculus lecture with 20,000 emotionally unstable (often schitzophrenic) people talking themselves through each problem, trying desperately to understand how it works. They booed a goaltending call that had clearly occurred after the ball hit the backboard. One fan behind me uttered the phrase, "Knock him down harder next time" seven times during the first three quarters (seriously, I counted). This same fan could be heard before the game bemoaning what a dirty player Bruce Bowen is. The same fans who were gone 2 1/2 quarters through the last game the Spurs played in Dallas could be seen taunting Spurs fans as they left the arena with 6 minutes to go in the game.

And then there is the whining. It's normal for fans to boo calls against their teams, but I've been to many arenas and stadiums in my life and no fans (except for perhaps Sacramento fans, but I've never been to Arco) whine as loudly as Mavs fans. Mark Cuban, for everything he has done for the Mavs team, has created a "Culture of Bitching" at Mavericks games. Every semi-controversial call is replayed on the jumbotron. Every foul is either a flop or a mugging, depending on the recipient's team. A movie clip was shown from "A Christmas Story" where Scott Farcas badgers Ralphie with the taunt of "What, are you gonna CRY now? Come on, baby, CRYYYYYY..." and not five seconds later, fans were hysterical over an offensive foul call.

I believe a lot of this stems from the Don Nelson era... perhaps Avery will provide some levity. Or he'll be lambasted for failing to stick up for his team. For all the rampant homerdom present among Mavericks fans, they are also irrationally critical of their own players. Michael Finley deserves better. Hell, Shawn Bradley deserves better.

Fortunately, about 40% of the fans at any given Mavs/Spurs game in Dallas are Spurs fans, so the overwhelming fatuity is diluted somewhat.

Perhaps this rant stems from sour grapes... I can't lie, the fact that the Spurs lost by 70 points only enhanced the annoyance of the experience. Like having to listen to a ten year old take drumming lessons while you're already hungover. But next time I visit the AAC for a game, I may prefer to stand outside by the concessions and watch it on the monitor... only to return to my seat when the Mavs are down by 20 and all of their fans have left the arena, and the PA announcer has quieted to a constant whisper. I'll still have to watch my head for T-shirts parachuting from the rafters, but I suppose I could live with that.

Goran Dragic
02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
:lmao

Leetonidas
02-28-2012, 12:57 PM
:wow

Monostradamus
02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Fuck you, Mav Fan!

jeebus
02-28-2012, 04:25 PM
"The Wave" and "The Dot Race" have had a love child using very strong fertility drugs, and its name is The American Airlines Center of Dallas, TX.

Is there a worse venue for a basketball fan to watch a live game? (Well, a fan over the age of 12 that is...)

From the mic'd rims to the plastic clappers given free with every seat, watching a Mavs game live is the equivalent of watching basketball on television while someone pokes your forehead with their finger repeatedly for 2 and a half hours. Known as the AAC, it seems to be a laboratory for ADD. It's as though they set it up to distract as many people from the actual game as possible, which is curious since the Mavs are actually a good team and entertaining in their own right. You have movie clips (sponsored, of course, by Blockbuster) during the game, sound effects, and the most obnoxious PA announcer in the history of human competition (imagine a Texas A&M Yell Leader with a microphone). The only time he stops talking long enough to take a breath is when he announces a player on the opposing team... I'm convinced he is actually inhaling as he reads their name when they make a basket or substitution.

Fans lucky enough to arrive early enough are treated to the emcee stylings of Chris Arnold, who is basically Stuart Scott without the journalistic talent. Once he's done pimping the latest Mavs gear, fans can look out for one of the 800 carnies throwing frisbees, slinging T-shirts, tossing basketballs or hyping up the crowd. It's enough to make you wish they would just show the commercials from the TV broadcast during timeouts. The costumed stunt dunker (MavsMan) seems like a welcome return to classic basketball normalsy by comparison. They have a drum line. They have dancing fat guys.

But maybe the fans deserve it.

Watching a game with Mavericks fans is like sitting in a calculus lecture with 20,000 emotionally unstable (often schitzophrenic) people talking themselves through each problem, trying desperately to understand how it works. They booed a goaltending call that had clearly occurred after the ball hit the backboard. One fan behind me uttered the phrase, "Knock him down harder next time" seven times during the first three quarters (seriously, I counted). This same fan could be heard before the game bemoaning what a dirty player Bruce Bowen is. The same fans who were gone 2 1/2 quarters through the last game the Spurs played in Dallas could be seen taunting Spurs fans as they left the arena with 6 minutes to go in the game.

And then there is the whining. It's normal for fans to boo calls against their teams, but I've been to many arenas and stadiums in my life and no fans (except for perhaps Sacramento fans, but I've never been to Arco) whine as loudly as Mavs fans. Mark Cuban, for everything he has done for the Mavs team, has created a "Culture of Bitching" at Mavericks games. Every semi-controversial call is replayed on the jumbotron. Every foul is either a flop or a mugging, depending on the recipient's team. A movie clip was shown from "A Christmas Story" where Scott Farcas badgers Ralphie with the taunt of "What, are you gonna CRY now? Come on, baby, CRYYYYYY..." and not five seconds later, fans were hysterical over an offensive foul call.

I believe a lot of this stems from the Don Nelson era... perhaps Avery will provide some levity. Or he'll be lambasted for failing to stick up for his team. For all the rampant homerdom present among Mavericks fans, they are also irrationally critical of their own players. Michael Finley deserves better. Hell, Shawn Bradley deserves better.

Fortunately, about 40% of the fans at any given Mavs/Spurs game in Dallas are Spurs fans, so the overwhelming fatuity is diluted somewhat.

Perhaps this rant stems from sour grapes... I can't lie, the fact that the Spurs lost by 70 points only enhanced the annoyance of the experience. Like having to listen to a ten year old take drumming lessons while you're already hungover. But next time I visit the AAC for a game, I may prefer to stand outside by the concessions and watch it on the monitor... only to return to my seat when the Mavs are down by 20 and all of their fans have left the arena, and the PA announcer has quieted to a constant whisper. I'll still have to watch my head for T-shirts parachuting from the rafters, but I suppose I could live with that.

1. Humble Billy Hayes - always hated the "twooooooooooooo shots" bit, and now he beats us to death with "The JET is ON THE RUNWAY!" when Terry gets into the game.

2. Stupid Videos - a few are okay (Dirk dancing like Mick Jagger) but most are just retarded ("Mama don't let your babies grow up to be -insert opposing team- fans", Singing "DeSagana Diop" to the Muppet Show theme, most anything where they photoshop the players faces into a music video)

3. J-Ho chant - Not only cuz he doesn't deserve one, but it's just stupid "JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY-HO" "jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay-ho". Kill me.

4. The incredibly overdone bit of fat guys dancing - It was a funny bit the first time I saw it. But after 1,203,318 viewings of the Mavs ManiAACS, I'm ready to knife each and every one of those fat fucks.

5. The paper noisemakers at every seat - First time I saw it, I thought maybe the air conditioning was out so they decided to give everyone something to fan themselves off. Come to find out I'm supposed to bang it against my hand to cheer my team to victory.

6. Chris Arnold - no explanation needed.

I've never been to any other arena besides Reunion and the AAC, so does this sort of crap happen everywhere, or is it just a Dallas thing?

dude1394
02-28-2012, 04:50 PM
You obviously haven't been to the AAC in quite a while. Humble billy has been gone about 2 years and josh Howard about the same. The maniacs get in the floor probably every 10-15 games. So your post is a colossal fail.

How many games did it take you to figure out how to use the paper bangers? Sad that we just cannot end the gene pool now and save the rest of the world all of that contamination.

Ditty
02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
You obviously haven't been to the AAC in quite a while. Humble billy has been gone about 2 years and josh Howard about the same. The maniacs get in the floor probably every 10-15 games. So your post is a colossal fail.

How many games did it take you to figure out how to use the paper bangers? Sad that we just cannot end the gene pool now and save the rest of the world all of that contamination.

You need to get to know BUMP

Ditty
02-28-2012, 05:02 PM
That picture on your avatar cracks me up everytime I see it BUMP, who is it? :lmao

Goran Dragic
02-28-2012, 05:03 PM
it's lakaluva

Latarian Milton
02-28-2012, 06:26 PM
their fans would've probably set it on fire if they had won it at AAC last year, its true luckiness they won it on our ground instead of theirs