PDA

View Full Version : Pop's genius

Cant_Be_Faded
03-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Couldn't find a way to shoehorn this thought into any other thread, so I thought I might as well start a thread for it:

Pop is a genius by playing James Anderson the way he did. By playing him early, he was actually able to mask our lack of healthy depth in this game. To compound his gamble, Jefferson basically did jack after he made that first quarter three. Anderson grabbed two third quarter rebounds in traffic in a row when Duncan was heating up, andI don't believe Jefferson would have grabbed those rebounds.

By playing Anderson early, spurs seem deeper when we sub in neal, Bonner, later in the game.

It didn't win us the game but I thought it was an unnoticed aspect of Pop's genius.

Robz4000
03-01-2012, 12:44 AM
It also helped to showcase Anderson for any suitors. Tbh at this point I;d rather hold onto Anderson and keep playing him while limiting RJ as much as possible. Get a big when teams are buying out contracts and go from there.

jjktkk
03-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Its nice to see Anderson showing some flashes of his play from pre-injury last year.

timvp
03-01-2012, 02:20 AM
Good point. Pop could have easily gone with Neal first but by giving JA the first nod Pop basically pulled some depth out of thin air. JA got off to a decent start and that kept his energy level up throughout.