PDA

View Full Version : Steve Novak... Why the HECK didn't we keep this guy?

dallasmaverickslose
03-01-2012, 01:05 AM
For the small amount of time we had Steve Novak last season, I could tell how much better he was than Bonner, Blair, or even RJ.

This guy has gone on to do impressive things with the Knicks. He's made huge contributions off of the bench and has, along with Lin, been a feel-good story for New York.

Here's his latest success: http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-bench-sparks-comeback-win-1.3568130?qr=1

A couple of things I noticed last year when comparing him to Bonner, Blair, and RJ.

Like Bonner, Novak can hit the 3. And when I mean hit it, I mean consistently. And he showed last season what Bonner didn't and still doesn't have: toughness and the ability to play at least SOME defense.

Blair, well, don't even get me started in comparing Novak to the garden gnome. Tons better, seems to be a more established player. Speads the floor, but can still fight for rebounds and play acceptable D. And Novak isn't slow like the garden gnome.

RJ... sucks. RJ doesn't even deserve to be discussed in the same sentence as freaking Steve Novak.

Novak's success speaks for itself. This guy can play both SF and PF, and has height. I remember he and Splitter worked well as a combo last season, for what little time both of them played.

WHY Spurs WHY did we not bring him back?!?!?!?! WHY couldn't we have ditched Blair Bonner or RJ WHY????

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

mexicanjunior
03-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Novak was absolutely horrendous on defense while he was here but yeah, I would gladly take him over Jefferson at this point.

LongtimeSpursFan
03-01-2012, 01:07 AM
For the small amount of time we had Steve Novak last season, I could tell how much better he was than Bonner, Blair, or even RJ.

This guy has gone on to do impressive things with the Knicks. He's made huge contributions off of the bench and has, along with Lin, been a feel-good story for New York.

Here's his latest success: http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/knicks-bench-sparks-comeback-win-1.3568130?qr=1

A couple of things I noticed last year when comparing him to Bonner, Blair, and RJ.

Like Bonner, Novak can hit the 3. And when I mean hit it, I mean consistently. And he showed last season what Bonner didn't and still doesn't have: toughness and the ability to play at least SOME defense.

Blair, well, don't even get me started in comparing Novak to the garden gnome. Tons better, seems to be a more established player. Speads the floor, but can still fight for rebounds and play acceptable D. And Novak isn't slow like the garden gnome.

RJ... sucks. RJ doesn't even deserve to be discussed in the same sentence as freaking Steve Novak.

Novak's success speaks for itself. This guy can play both SF and PF, and has height. I remember he and Splitter worked well as a combo last season, for what little time both of them played.

WHY Spurs WHY did we not bring him back?!?!?!?! WHY couldn't we have ditched Blair Bonner or RJ WHY????

Fools gold! New Yorks type of offense pads individuals stats. Come playoff time they will be exposed.

gospursgojas
03-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Ian, scola, beno, hill, thread

Juggity
03-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Novak had a few nice games, big moments, when he played for us last year, but ultimately didn't bring enough (anything?) to the table besides his 3-point line camping prowess. Given that Bonner already does that for us, his skillset was redundant.

Here are his stats from last year. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/novakst01/gamelog/2011/) Not sure the offense he provided outweighed the defensive liability that he was. He also disappeared in the one playoff game he participated in.

ElNono
03-01-2012, 01:37 AM
I'm happy that he seemingly been able to carve a spot in the NBA with the Knicks. However, he was a fairly mediocre overall player with us. He is a lot like Bonner (another mediocre player), with the difference that Matt is just more familiar with the Spurs system.

ChumpDumper
03-01-2012, 01:39 AM
toughness and the ability to play at least SOME defenseAh, no.

Proxy
03-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Not keeping Beno, Novak, Ian, White, Tolliver, and Gist has probably cost us a :lobt:

Capt Bringdown
03-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Novak > Bonner or RJ, but it wouldn't be fair to the team to change turds in mid-flush.

timvp
03-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Novak is Bonner except Novak is a much worse defender and rebounder.

Buddy Holly
03-01-2012, 02:50 AM
LOL at people overrating Novak because he's in a D'antoni offense. He was streaky as heck and sucked worse on the defensive end. Funny enough, that's a D'antoni kind of player.

senorglory
03-01-2012, 03:49 AM
he seems to get his shot off quicker than Bonner.

outmap
03-01-2012, 03:57 AM
LOL @ Novak being a better defender and rebounder than Bonner, truth is his only advantage is his shot release. The only reason he's contributing is the system D'Antoni built in NY, same with the Suns back then. If Bonner is in NY, he'd probably average 16-17 pts. a game.
I don't like Matt but to say he's not as good as Novak is laughable.

tenbeersbold
03-01-2012, 03:59 AM
he seems to get his shot off quicker than Bonner.
Here,here!!!
Novak has a Neal like release

Bonner is too easily closed out in the PO's with his slow low awkward ass 3-ball shot.

Novak probably woulda been less $$$ too :depressed

armynick23
03-01-2012, 04:01 AM

:wakeup Spurs are a defensive minded team or at least still attempting to be that first and foremost. So Novak did not fit in, he was a streaky shooter with the spurs in the west. He did hit some good shots but was inconsistant. Now he is thriving on a Mike d,antoni system that plays no defense and is a run and gun offense. So thats first and the other thought is he is in a weak confrence. Theres only two teams who play defense. So in the east its easy money for him.:rollin

armynick23
03-01-2012, 04:03 AM
LOL at people overrating Novak because he's in a D'antoni offense. He was streaky as heck and sucked worse on the defensive end. Funny enough, that's a D'antoni kind of player.

:wakeupAGREED

G-Dawgg
03-01-2012, 07:37 AM

At a tiny fraction of the cost....

cheguevara
03-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Except Bonner folds like a pussy under pressure. Novack is a lot more clutch than Bonner. I actually was surprised to see Novack go, I liked what he did last year and got a little more length than Ginger

ohmwrecker
03-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I like how Novak can lift his arms above his head.

Dex
03-01-2012, 10:03 AM
At a tiny fraction of the cost....

No one was going to take Bonner (or his contract) off our hands, anyways.

If we'd kept Novak, we'd basically have two Bonners. He would've either sat on the bench, or we would perpetually have a three-point shooting, non-rebounding, horribly defending big on the floor.

jgome21
03-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Eh, I don't think he's as good as you portray him to be. Yeah, the guy can shoot lights out but he can't do anything else. I'd take Danny Green over him anyday.

GSH
03-01-2012, 11:33 AM
If Bonner is in NY, he'd probably average 16-17 pts. a game.

Cue the threads suggesting we can trade Bonner for Tyson Chandler.

Go have a look at Novak's game logs. His numbers were crap, then they suddenly got really good. Now... go have a look at Jeremy Lin's game logs. See anything noteworthy?

Novak's numbers got good exactly when Lin took over. Jeremy Lin (within D'Antoni's offense) started getting guys open looks. Novak can hit wide open looks.

During that stretch of games, Novak has been taking an average of 7.2 3-point shots per game. Bonner averages 4 attempts. And unlike Bonner, almost none of Novak's are contested, because of the wide-open system the Knicks run.

People aren't just blowing smoke. In D'Antoni's system, Bonner would score a lot more. And he wouldn't have to worry about getting exposed on defense.

ElNono
03-01-2012, 11:39 AM
And he wouldn't have to worry about getting exposed on defense.

Sounds a lot like the Pop's system, tbh

purist
03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I thank God posters on this forum do not run the Spurs FO!
:bang

bus driver
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
i thank god posters on this forum do not run the spurs fo!
:bang

+1

TJastal
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Cue the threads suggesting we can trade Bonner for Tyson Chandler.

Go have a look at Novak's game logs. His numbers were crap, then they suddenly got really good. Now... go have a look at Jeremy Lin's game logs. See anything noteworthy?

Novak's numbers got good exactly when Lin took over. Jeremy Lin (within D'Antoni's offense) started getting guys open looks. Novak can hit wide open looks.

During that stretch of games, Novak has been taking an average of 7.2 3-point shots per game. Bonner averages 4 attempts. And unlike Bonner, almost none of Novak's are contested, because of the wide-open system the Knicks run.

People aren't just blowing smoke. In D'Antoni's system, Bonner would score a lot more. And he wouldn't have to worry about getting exposed on defense.

I'm sure he'd figure out a way.

Indazone
03-01-2012, 05:39 PM
He's worthless on defense. Novak never saw playing time with Van Gundy but in D'antoni's 7 seconds and shoot offense, he's perfect.

DMC
03-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Damn.

Rapper
03-02-2012, 03:23 AM
Novak is the same type of Bonner. I don't think the spurs need to keep them both

Keepin' it real
03-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Steve Novak? Really?

http://www.straferight.com/photopost/data/500/medium/double-facepalm.jpg

ThaBigFundamental21
03-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Lets be real, Novak is a decent jump shooter. But it's been said a million times up top, he can't play D or Rebound. I have to admit, Bonner's D this year has been decent, very decent for Bonner. He is obviously putting in way more effort and staying in front of guys with a hand up and in their face. I actually saw him block a shot a couple games ago lol. It makes more sense to keep Bonner, a guy who knows our system, then sign a slightly worse player who knows hardly anything of our system.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-02-2012, 10:56 PM

This.

Big P
03-02-2012, 11:00 PM
He was playing for a spot on the Spurs..he got a guaranteed offer from NY and the Spurs were cool enough to let him get some pt and $.

Kindergarten Cop
03-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Except Bonner folds like a pussy under pressure. Novack is a lot more clutch than Bonner. I actually was surprised to see Novack go, I liked what he did last year and got a little more length than Ginger

Forgive me, but I must have missed the times in the Playoffs when Novak came up huge. When was that again? Surely you aren't referring to big shots in regular season games - because Bonner's had a few of those himself. As for length, I'm pretty confident that they are exactly the same height - Novak is just a lot thinner.

And as others have already pointed out, Bonner is by far a more superior rebounder and defender (which doesn't happen often, comparitively speaking).