PDA

View Full Version : The Horry Dunk

Chris
03-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Found some old pictures of the 2005 season finals against the Pistons on my old hard drive. Detroit fans swear to this day that it was a charge but I thought it was an awesome dunk, maybe top 50 all time.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3493/dunk6295050619.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/dunk6295050619.jpg/)

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6362/dunk7050619.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/dunk7050619.jpg/)

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1773/dunks5295050619.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/dunks5295050619.jpg/)

manufan10
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Watching it live, I remember thinking that he was going to miss that dunk.

lefty
03-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Good times

lefty
Wait top 50 all time ?

:lmao

bklynspursfan
I was worried at the time it was a charge too. But I was more worried with Horry appearing in a lot of pain (he really extended that arm)

Chris

He had an interview after the game saying that when he left the ground he thought there was no way he was going to dunk it :lol

Chris
03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Wait top 50 all time ?

Maybe top 50 all time considering the game it was in, the fact that it was a hall of famer etc...I think its debatable.

z0sa
03-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I remember thinking the same thing (he wouldn't be able to reach). Dude must have just watched Space Jam or something.

manufan10
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
I remember thinking the same thing (he wouldn't be able to reach). Dude must have just watched Space Jam or something.

:lol

manufan10
03-02-2012, 03:12 PM
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1773/dunks5295050619.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/dunks5295050619.jpg/)

http://nbaswish.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/mj1.png

Fabbs
03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Maybe top 50 all time considering the game it was in, the fact that it was a hall of famer etc...I think its debatable.
Easily in top 50 of all time.
Ingore multitroll ramblins that say otherwise.

Russ
03-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Now that's nice!

The only bad news: Bonner is his replacement.

timvp
03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Wait top 50 all time ?

It has a pretty good case for most momentous dunk in franchise history. Only other candidates off the top of my head are Rose over Mutombo in 2003 or Duncan over Ostertag in 1999.

gameFACE
03-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Considering the stakes it's the best dunk in franchise history followed a few minutes later by the best 3pt shot in franchise history.

Damn, makes me wish the Spurs had an Horry type player right now instead of Bonner or Blair. High IQ, good post player, good height, balls of steel.

manufan10
03-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Considering the stakes it's the best dunk in franchise history followed a few minutes later by the 2nd best 3pt shot in franchise history.

Damn, makes me wish the Spurs had an Horry type player right now instead of Bonner or Blair. High IQ, good post player, good height, balls of steel.

fify

The Memorial Day Miracle is the best 3 pt shot in franchise history.

:lobt2:

gameFACE
03-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Stakes weren't as high.

z0sa
03-02-2012, 03:46 PM
http://nbaswish.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/mj1.png

exactly :downspin:

therealtruth
03-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Horry had long arms unlike his replacement.

bus driver
03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Now that's nice!

The only bad news: Bonner is his replacement.

:lmao, almost spit my water out :lmao

CubanMustGo
03-02-2012, 04:51 PM
skrhqmwEdd0#t=75s

1:15 :king

superbigtime
03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
That dunk was my screensaver for the longest time.

Sense
03-02-2012, 05:10 PM
BZdik09RGJI

He got us that title.. I miss him. Dunk is around :55

I remember jumping up and screaming as he did that.. and anxiously waiting to see if it was gonna be and AND1, love the reaction in crowd.

crc21209
03-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Awesome memory! :tu What's crazy is, IIRC, if that would've been a charge on Horry that would have been his 6th foul....

baseline bum
03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
It has a pretty good case for most momentous dunk in franchise history. Only other candidates off the top of my head are Rose over Mutombo in 2003 or Duncan over Ostertag in 1999.

Gotta go with Malik there.

baseline bum
03-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Considering the stakes it's the best dunk in franchise history followed a few minutes later by the best 3pt shot in franchise history.

Best three pointer? You're underestimating it; Rob's three is the best shot period in the history of the franchise.

dylankerouac
03-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Anyone know where we can see any of the 2003 playoff games? I remember links posted in the summer but I can't get the search to bring them up.

Sean Cagney
03-02-2012, 05:55 PM

I think most of us thought that :lmao

Wild Cobra Kai
03-02-2012, 08:31 PM

I love Robert Horry to death, but he isn't in the HOF, nor will he be. They tend to exclude career 7 ppg scorers.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Stakes weren't as high.

Horse shit. The MDM changed the entire history and perception of the franchise. If Sean misses that shot, the Spurs are likely a second round out, yet again. No LoB, and Duncan likely bolts to Orlando, and we NEVER win a LoB.

If Horry misses, SA still already has two LoBs, and are likely pissed enough to not shit the bed in 2006 like they did.

The MDM was EVERYTHING to this franchise.

The ADMIRAL 50
03-02-2012, 09:54 PM
fify

The Memorial Day Miracle is the best 3 pt shot in franchise history.

:lobt2:

Looove the MDM, but I respectfully disagree. The MDM was the difference between sweeping and not sweeping. The Horry three was most likely the difference between ringing and not ringing.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-02-2012, 10:28 PM
IIRC, Horry had 21pts in the 4th and OT to save our bacon in that game (and Timmy had a shocker but redeemed himself with a superb 3rd Q in game 7 when we badly needed it). One of the most incredible extended clutch performances I've ever seen.

Here's to you, Big Shot Rob. :toast

rasho8
03-02-2012, 10:51 PM
God I miss Big Shot Rob and Bowen.... Horry would mail it in all season long and give no fucks, then annihilate teams in the playoffs.

therealtruth
03-02-2012, 10:57 PM
God I miss Big Shot Rob and Bowen.... Horry would mail it in all season long and give no fucks, then annihilate teams in the playoffs.

Again unlike Bonner. Bonner plays well during the regular season and then disappears in the playoffs.

shyne
03-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Horse shit. The MDM changed the entire history and perception of the franchise. If Sean misses that shot, the Spurs are likely a second round out, yet again. No LoB, and Duncan likely bolts to Orlando, and we NEVER win a LoB.

If Horry misses, SA still already has two LoBs, and are likely pissed enough to not shit the bed in 2006 like they did.

That series was the western conference finals

GrandeDavid
03-02-2012, 11:58 PM

I was thrilled they didn't call a charge and also that Horry's subsequent sore shoulder wouldn't hinder that game winning three of his.

Budkin
03-03-2012, 12:14 AM
This is the second most nerve-wracking Spurs game I've ever seen next to Game 7 of that series. My anxiety was so bad it was hard for me to watch.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-03-2012, 12:26 AM
No. Love Sean but that's an inaccurate statement by all means. If Sean misses that, we don't get the rebound and the Blazers make their free throws we go to Portland 1-1 which isn't all bad since we would have likely taken one if not both games there. We still would have been the favorites to win that series.

Robert Horry misses that three and we lose the title, simply put.

Sean misses, we maybe NEVER win a title. People forget that at that point we were the Suns, an entertaining team that could never close the deal. Rob's shot was big, but it only affected one title. Sean's shot set the table for all four.

timvp
03-03-2012, 12:35 AM
I agree with Wild Cobra Kai. The Memorial Day Miracle is the biggest shot in franchise history. You gotta remember that at that point, the Spurs were known as always collapsing under pressure. They had teased before. So a loss there and loss in Game 3 and everything might have come crumbling down.

You'd think they would have won that series even if losing Game 2 but you'd also think the Spurs would have won the 1995 WCF after winning Game 3 and Game 4 on the road and you'd also think the Spurs would have made it to the 1979 Finals after going up 3-1 on the Bullets. The MDM was basically the moment when the Spurs stopped being the Suns and longtime fans stopped believing the Spurs would never win because of their ABA roots.

Tbh, it was the "OMG we're actually gonna do this" moment.

MannyIsGod
03-03-2012, 12:44 AM
You can't expect GNSF to know about the MDM

baseline bum
03-03-2012, 12:49 AM

I don't think there is any way they lose to Portland in that series even without the shot. I mean they just completely annihilated Portland in games 3 & 4. It's not like the Blazers came out dead either in game 3. They came out and dropped 26 points on that sick defense in the first quarter, but the Spurs wore them down and embarrassed them on their homefloor because they were the far superior team. Saying the Spurs losing game 2 kills them is almost as ridiculous as the national media calling the Finals a series again after Allan Houston hit that lucky three at the shot-clock buzzer to take game 3. Portland couldn't match up with Robinson period; he was pissed, I guess from 88 or something, and shit all over Sabonis. Then AJ was motivated to make Stoudamire eat his words. There was no way the Spurs were ever losing that series.

A lot different with Detroit. Maybe they fight back and take games 6 and 7, but those Pistons even without Mike James, Mehmet Okur, and Corliss Williamson still had a really strong 1-7 and closed games well. If the Spurs don't win that series they'd be remembered as the team who fattened up on a lot of crap, with the 03 Lakers and 07 Suns being the only contenders they beat. They'd be known for playing crap teams in the Finals instead of for beating a hungry and pissed defending champion in what was basically an even matchup.

On top of that, imagine the hit Rob's rep takes if he misses that shot. No one would remember the way he went in to Denver and bent them over the table in games 3 and 4, or that three he hit in Phoenix in game 2 right after Nash hit the dagger 3 to give Phoenix its first lead. They would remember how he missed the wide-open three in game 5 against the Spurs in 03, then the wide-open three in game 5 that would have iced the Lakers in '04, then the missed three that doomed the Spurs in 05. On top of that, everyone would remember Tim missing the two foot tip-in at the buzzer that would have stolen game 5, not to mention him going Shaq at the free throw line the whole fourth quarter. That Horry shot bounces off the rim and the national media are shitting all over Duncan for blowing the series.

baseline bum
03-03-2012, 12:55 AM
I agree with Wild Cobra Kai. The Memorial Day Miracle is the biggest shot in franchise history. You gotta remember that at that point, the Spurs were known as always collapsing under pressure. They had teased before. So a loss there and loss in Game 3 and everything might have come crumbling down.

'Eh, I remember people freaking out when the Spurs blew game 2 to Minnesota at home; same old choking Spurs were going to blow the postseason again. So what happens? Robinson comes out pissed and started flushing dunks all over Garnett and Joe Smith.

If Sean misses that shot they beat Portland in 5.

therealtruth
03-03-2012, 12:55 AM
It seems every champion has moments during the postseason where luck seems to go their way and it sort of catapults them forward. I think Phil Jackson has said that before. But part of it is that the team puts itself in a position where that can happen.

baseline bum
03-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Don't get me wrong though; I was at the game and it was amazing to finally see the Spurs as the ones stealing games they had no business winning. That shot was the ultimate sigh of relief to a tortured fanbase; that's when all Spurs fans started really believing they were winning the title this year.

therealtruth
03-03-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't think there is any way they lose to Portland in that series even without the shot. I mean they just completely annihilated Portland in games 3 & 4. It's not like the Blazers came out dead either in game 3. They came out and dropped 26 points on that sick defense in the first quarter, but the Spurs wore them down and embarrassed them on their homefloor because they were the far superior team. Saying the Spurs losing game 2 kills them is almost as ridiculous as the national media calling the Finals a series again after Allan Houston hit that lucky three at the shot-clock buzzer to take game 3. Portland couldn't match up with Robinson period; he was pissed, I guess from 88 or something, and shit all over Sabonis. Then AJ was motivated to make Stoudamire eat his words. There was no way the Spurs were ever losing that series.

A lot different with Detroit. Maybe they fight back and take games 6 and 7, but those Pistons even without Mike James, Mehmet Okur, and Corliss Williamson still had a really strong 1-7 and closed games well. If the Spurs don't win that series they'd be remembered as the team who fattened up on a lot of crap, with the 03 Lakers and 07 Suns being the only contenders they beat. They'd be known for playing crap teams in the Finals instead of for beating a hungry and pissed defending champion in what was basically an even matchup.

On top of that, imagine the hit Rob's rep takes if he misses that shot. No one would remember the way he went in to Denver and bent them over the table in games 3 and 4, or that three he hit in Phoenix in game 2 right after Nash hit the dagger 3 to give Phoenix its first lead. They would remember how he missed the wide-open three in game 5 against the Spurs in 03, then the wide-open three in game 5 that would have iced the Lakers in '04, then the missed three that doomed the Spurs in 05. On top of that, everyone would remember Tim missing the two foot tip-in at the buzzer that would have stolen game 5, not to mention him going Shaq at the free throw line the whole fourth quarter. That Horry shot bounces off the rim and the national media are shitting all over Duncan for blowing the series.

Good points. I think Horry was angry about '04 and '03 and was making up for it. He also had a dismal showing in that game before that point. But going back to what that shot meant for the series, I think a big part of why the Pistons won game 6 was that they felt they had let game 5 get away.

Rasheed Wallace in particular redeemed himself in game 6 by hitting alot of big shots to help seal that game. If the Spurs lose game 5 they probably fight hard and win game 6 and the Pistons probably let up. Regardless I think it was going to be a seven game series.

baseline bum
03-03-2012, 01:00 AM

You'd think they would have won that series even if losing Game 2 but you'd also think the Spurs would have won the 1995 WCF after winning Game 3 and Game 4 on the road and you'd also think the Spurs would have made it to the 1979 Finals after going up 3-1 on the Bullets. The MDM was basically the moment when the Spurs stopped being the Suns and longtime fans stopped believing the Spurs would never win because of their ABA roots.

Tbh, it was the "OMG we're actually gonna do this" moment.

Rodman + Bob Hill happened in 1995. How that series could have been different with a prime Popovich on the sidelines.

Wild Cobra Kai
03-03-2012, 01:03 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree, bb. There are key moments in every series. If Manu isn't injured last year or RJ has balls and hits the shot to win game one, we win the Grizz series going away in game 6. We were up double digits, but they knew they could end the series on their floor, so they fought back. In the same vein, after SA won the first two, they were uber confident going to Portland. Not the case with a split.

DMC
03-03-2012, 01:04 AM
I think Avery's shot was pretty high up there seeing that we'd never won one before that, but Horry's 3 was crazy given what a defensive powerhouse Detroit was, and that they left him wide open at that moment.

timvp
03-03-2012, 01:05 AM
If Sean misses that shot they beat Portland in 5.

I don't know man, the Spurs had always been great at finding ways to meltdown. After dominating the Rockets in 1995 in the regular season and bouncing back and winning those two road games, I thought there was no way in hell they lose that series. Outside of Elliott choking a few times against the Rockets, the Spurs were like 8-1 against them or something ridiculous.

It seemed like Spurs fans at the time were waiting for the other shoe to drop. If that shot doesn't go in, I could have imagined a ripple effect. Those Jailblazers were damn talented and if not for MDM and Robinson bailing out Duncan a few times, that's a 6 or 7 game series.

If that goes to Game 7, the entire lower level is probably packed with Blazers fans a la 1995 ...

And if the Spurs lose that series, the arena vote doesn't pass and the Spurs move. Even if the Spurs were still going to be big favorites to beat Portland, there was a lot more at stake than one championship.

Besides, in 2005, the Spurs owned the Pistons at home in Game 1 and Game 2. If they lose Game 5, there's a decent chance the Spurs can get the final two games. Part of the reason the Pistons won Game 6 was because the Spurs and their fans were basically already celebrating a championship after Game 5. Larry Brown getting a hold of the parade schedule comes to mind, tbh.

DMC
03-03-2012, 01:07 AM

Great post. :toast

baseline bum
03-03-2012, 01:09 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree, bb. There are key moments in every series. If Manu isn't injured last year or RJ has balls and hits the shot to win game one, we win the Grizz series going away in game 6. We were up double digits, but they knew they could end the series on their floor, so they fought back. In the same vein, after SA won the first two, they were uber confident going to Portland. Not the case with a split.

I disagree because that 99 Spurs team won games like no other Spurs team before them. They were winning by consistently out-executing everyone in the fourth. Every one of the few times they lost a close game that season (after the Houston win) it was shocking because they were so good in the clutch. They had never been that kind of team in the previous regular seasons. I mean the 99 Spurs seemed like they never took first quarter leads, but they would just wear teams out over the course of the game with the physical defense of Robinson, Duncan, Elie, and with Sean's ability to keep in front of his man. I just can't ever see that team playing soft after they got pissed off by Mario's comments to NBC.

gameFACE
03-03-2012, 01:15 AM
Best three pointer? You're underestimating it; Rob's three is the best shot period in the history of the franchise.
Agreed.

Not buying that. The worst that happens if MDM doesn't go down is the series is split 1-1 at Game 2. The Spurs had too much of a chip on their shoulders to let that series slip from them. Did it change the franchise? Sure. But the stakes were still much higher in Detroit in '05. It was a key Game 5. It was in Detroit against the reigning champs. It was the toughest road to the Finals against the toughest competition. Could they come back and win the series if Detroit wins that game? It's possible. But history tends to clearly show otherwise. The team that wins Game 5 in a 2-2 series goes on to win it all.

Don't get me wrong the MDM was a bad ass shot. I was doing flips in my living room when it went down. But the reasoning for it being the best shot ever tends to be more nostalgic. It's #2 on the list of best shots ever.

baseline bum
03-03-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't know man, the Spurs had always been great at finding ways to meltdown. After dominating the Rockets in 1995 in the regular season and bouncing back and winning those two road games, I thought there was no way in hell they lose that series. Outside of Elliott choking a few times against the Rockets, the Spurs were like 8-1 against them or something ridiculous.

It seemed like Spurs fans at the time were waiting for the other shoe to drop. If that shot doesn't go in, I could have imagined a ripple effect. Those Jailblazers were damn talented and if not for MDM and Robinson bailing out Duncan a few times, that's a 6 or 7 game series.

If that goes to Game 7, the entire lower level is probably packed with Blazers fans a la 1995 ...

And if the Spurs lose that series, the arena vote doesn't pass and the Spurs move. Even if the Spurs were still going to be big favorites to beat Portland, there was a lot more at stake than one championship.

Besides, in 2005, the Spurs owned the Pistons at home in Game 1 and Game 2. If they lose Game 5, there's a decent chance the Spurs can get the final two games. Part of the reason the Pistons won Game 6 was because the Spurs and their fans were basically already celebrating a championship after Game 5. Larry Brown getting a hold of the parade schedule comes to mind, tbh.

Frankly, I think Tim's shot over Reid missing in game 2 against LA would have been more dangerous. Shaq was way worse than anything the Blazers could throw against the Spurs.

Spur|n|Austin
03-03-2012, 02:05 AM

I'd have to say it's second to Sean's Memorial Day Trey.

8FOR!3
03-03-2012, 02:13 AM
I'd have to say it's second to Sean's Memorial Day Trey.

yeah I've got to agree with that.

Chris
03-03-2012, 02:29 AM
The MDM wins style points since it's a Brent Barry range 3 pointer, toes almost out of bounds, etc.. but the Horry 3 was far superior considering the enviroment. Finals game 5 vs. Western Conference finals game 2. cmon man

The Truth #6
03-03-2012, 02:55 AM
If it's purely basketball then Horry's 3 is bigger: Game 5 of the Finals vs Game 2 of the WCF. But when you put everything else into context, as others have mentioned, the MDM is the biggest shot of franchise history.

They had ALWAYS been considered soft up until that point in 1999. It was a shortened season so who knew if their recent domination was just another hot streak that would fall apart. And most importantly, what makes the MDM shot important is that it symbolizes the redemption of the franchise's failures up until that point. Sean was a fan favorite and a fundamental part of the 90s teams...and was considered soft and so in that sense he played a part in defining all their good and bad qualities. By making that shot, he confirmed to the team and to the city and to the league that they were now for real. If someone like say Jerome Kersey hits that shot it carries way less weight. Yeah, it would have helped win the game but he wasn't a fundamental part of the identity of the team for a decade.

So, Horry's 3 has none of that same context. Horry was basically a hired assassin that moved from team to team. He was not a part of the Spurs foundation. And so although Horry's shot obviously saved those Finals, it was not a paradigm shifting moment for the franchise by someone who had helped define the franchise.

Sean Cagney
03-03-2012, 03:24 AM
The MDM wins style points since it's a Brent Barry range 3 pointer, toes almost out of bounds, etc.. but the Horry 3 was far superior considering the enviroment. Finals game 5 vs. Western Conference finals game 2. cmon man

I agree. If the Spurs lost that game 5 they are heart broken and lose in 6 IMo to Detroit, Horry with that shot saved them! I know MDM was up there and so on and changed the choker or loser tag the Spurs had, but cot damn that shot Horry did and that game was a miracle! Spurs lose if he misses, if Sean Misses they are 1-1 and it's still a shot.

mattyc
03-03-2012, 05:30 AM
Brilliant memories. Great thread.

gameFACE
03-03-2012, 02:16 PM
One last thing - Horry's big shot, dunk and overall performance in Game 5 led the Spurs to their third championship. What that championship did was take them beyond teams like the so called "storied franchises" of the Knicks and 76er's who have only two championships to their name. The Rockets too. And definitely way past one-timers like the Warriors, Bullets, Trailblazers, Supersonics and the LOL Mavericks. It catapulted the Spurs to another discussion. And definitely they're exclusive now with four. (Hopefully five)

MDM was the best until '05. It's still special. But Horry's shot is the best.

Kerr on '03 is safe at third best ...............

timvp
03-03-2012, 05:48 PM
One last thing - Horry's big shot, dunk and overall performance in Game 5 led the Spurs to their third championship. What that championship did was take them beyond teams like the so called "storied franchises" of the Knicks and 76er's who have only two championships to their name. The Rockets too. And definitely way past one-timers like the Warriors, Bullets, Trailblazers, Supersonics and the LOL Mavericks. It catapulted the Spurs to another discussion. And definitely they're exclusive now with four. (Hopefully five)

MDM was the best until '05.But going with that logic, if Elliott misses that shot and the Spurs go to Portland and lose Game 3 (in which Duncan had 5 points, IIRC), everything could have changed. Portland had always owned San Antonio. Even in 1999, the Spurs ended that season basically unbeatable at home. But the three games they almost lost were that one to the Rockets (the Mario Elie Game) and then two to the Blazers. One was overtime and the other one I believe they won by one point. And then earlier in the season, the Spurs lost to the Blazers.

So heading into Game 3, the Spurs and Blazers would have been pretty damn even on paper. It shouldn't be forgotten that the Blazers back then defended Duncan better than any other team in the league. A lot of Duncan's worst games early in his career came against the Blazers. In fact, in that 1999 series, it was actually Robinson who was easily the best player on the team for the Spurs.

If the Spurs lose Game 2, then head to Game 3 in which Duncan puts up all of five points, the confidence gained by winning Game 2 could have easily propelled the Blazers to a win in Game 3. And for as great as the 1999 team was, they didn't have any sort of championship experience to fall back on. We could say they would have been able to handle the adversity of falling down 1-2 in the WCF but I just don't know for sure. At that point in history, Pop wasn't Pop ... he was basically AJ's yes-man. If the Spurs get into a tough spot, maybe AJ melts down blaming everyone and the cards coming tumbling down.

And then if the Spurs lose to the Blazers, the arena vote doesn't pass and Duncan leaves for Orlando the next summer. And there's no need to worry about championship #3 because there would have been no championships at all.

Kerr on '03 is safe at third best ...............
I don't put Kerr's shots in the top ten, tbh. In fact, I don't think Kerr's shots were even the biggest shots of that game. Stephen Jackson's back-to-back threes to make a 9-point game a 3-point game with nine minutes remaining were much bigger shots, IMO.

After Jackson hit those shots, the Mavs didn't score again for like six minutes so the Spurs were going to win that game with or without Kerr taking advantage of Nash's horrible defense.

Spurs7794
03-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I gotta pick Horry's three over the MDM. Maybe its because I was only a fan since 1993 so I don't have several decades of failures to remember but I felt like the 1999 team was so much better than any other team. Besides that, it was only game 2 and they weren't in the process of choking anything. They were down big in game 2 and came back but could never get the lead. A loss would have been tough but I don't think it would have demoralized us.

On the other hand, the Spurs were choking the series against Detroit away. ANyone remember Tim having to be consoled on the bench at the end of game 4? How the team just looked worn out and frustrated and how the Pistons looked super confident and tough? Plus, Tim has said that Detroit defended him better than anyone else.

If they lost game 5, I just don't see that team responding and winning games 6 and 7 against a confident defending champion.

gameFACE
03-03-2012, 08:14 PM
timvp, we're talking hypothetically and in hindsight of course. I just think the Spurs had too much of a chip on their shoulder to let that series get away even if MDM doesn't go down. They swept it as it is. If it doesn't go down the team's mindset could have been totally different and they end up getting game 3 and Duncan doesn't necessarily end up with five points. Yes Portland defended Duncan well. Specifically the matchup with Sheed who coincidentally was also on that '05 Detroit team. The Spurs were going to win that Portland series.

I think we're looking at two different criteria to come up with our reasoning. You're referring to MDM as the effect it had on franchise history which is totally valid. I'm looking at that but also the effect that the 05 championship had on the Spurs with the NBA as a whole. This was a team that minus Duncan had no one from the 99 team. Plus, this was the finals and historically a very deciding game. If the Spurs lose Game 5 it's easy to see how they go soft and fold. That still happened even after the 99 championship. Especially against the Kobe/Shaq Lakers.

The Spurs are in a unique place in NBA history now. There's the Celtics, Lakers, Bulls and then there's the Spurs. The 05 championship, where Horry's shot was pivotal, began to place them in a different discussion in NBA history , let alone the franchise history.

I agree about Kerr, though. I was strictly thinking 3 pointers. Avery's shot would be way above Kerr and Jackson as a shot of any kind that was pivotal. Dunk, layup, mid-range or 3pt.

roycrikside
03-03-2012, 08:35 PM
I'd put Elliott shot as the biggest. When he hit it, I knew they were gonna win the title, and they'd never had one before. It also gave Elliott some redemption, since imo he blew the 95 series. He hits one of two free throws in Game 1 and the Spurs lead the series and don't look back. Robinson got too much blame for losing that series when he single-covered Olajuwon while the Rockets always doubled him, and Elliott not nearly enough.

Horry's shot was huge, but I still think Spurs would've won Games 6 and 7 at home if they had to. They just played a bad fourth quarter in Game 6 because they were too giddy about "tonight's the night" and all that. In must win situations they were nails.

Spurs7794
03-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Horry's shot was huge, but I still think Spurs would've won Games 6 and 7 at home if they had to. They just played a bad fourth quarter in Game 6 because they were too giddy about "tonight's the night" and all that. In must win situations they were nails.

That team was tough as nails in big moments all playoffs long....except that span between game 3 and game7's second half. Game 5, the Spurs were sputtering in the 4th except for Horry and they still struggled in game 6. It was finally in game 7 when Duncan and Ginobili said fuck it and brought the team home. IMO, there wouldn't have been a game 7 had we lost game 5.

baseline bum
03-03-2012, 09:55 PM
I just can't see any way one shot missing changes a sweep into a series loss; to argue otherwise makes the Spurs title in 99 look like a fluke, when it's pretty clear that was a hungry team with the greatest 4-5 combination and arguably the greatest defense of all time. Portland had its share of good players, but in the NBA I'll always take a dollar over 4 quarters. There are exceptions like the Pistons, but not many; and those Pistons were a monster defensive team, which those Blazers weren't.

The MDM will always be my favorite shot since it was the moment that made every Spurs fan forget about the ghosts of past playoff failure, but there's probably a 50-70% chance they lose the Finals if Rob's shot rims out. Plus, the 99 team was healthy outside of Elliott. The 05 team Duncan was having trouble with the minutes due to his two hurt ankles.

100%duncan
03-03-2012, 11:20 PM
still sends chills down my spine

manufan10
03-03-2012, 11:24 PM
This thread is worthless without video.. :D

u1EL38SKyX8

manufan10
03-03-2012, 11:24 PM
I miss crowd reactions like that.. :depressed

Horry For 3!
03-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Oh, Horry..... how I miss him.

baseline bum
03-03-2012, 11:54 PM
I miss crowd reactions like that.. :depressed

You should have heard the crowd when Stoudamire was shooting free throws right before that timeout. I have been going to games since the mid 80s and have never heard anything approaching what it was like in the Dome when he was at the line.

spurs10
03-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Good Lord.....it doesn't get better than that....good memories to be sure!!!!!!!

RoyerReptiles
03-04-2012, 07:17 AM
MDM. It's got it's own name, it's own acronym. Each year on Memorial day the local media celebrates it, "Where were you when the memorial day miracle happened?" This shot is LEGENDARY! I don't even remember where I was when Robert hit his huge shot, but I absolutely remember where I was for almost every game during that run in '99, and especially when Sean hit that shot. I remember thinking, "Crap, here we go again. C'mon Spurs!" Then Sean hits that shot. That entire run will be the most important chip for me and Sean's shot the biggest for me. That run gave the team that we all followed for all those years that first trophy, FINALLY! That shot was the moment, that precise moment when you could feel SA go over that hump, finally. That was when I knew it was real, when I KNEW that SA was doing it that year. All the trophy's after that are great, all the big shots were just that, big. But none have their own name, their own anniversary, and none will be remembered like the Memorial Day Miracle.

RoyerReptiles
03-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Hell, if you want to got there this shot is the reason I picked my profile pick! The moment after that shot!!!

G-Dawgg
03-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Memorial Day Miracle was easily the greatest shot..... anybody who says otherwise was probably just a little kid at the time...

Juggity
03-04-2012, 12:57 PM
As great as the MDM is, I think the only way you could rate it higher than Big Shot Bob's dagger is by evaluating the difficulty of the shot. There's no doubt that side-by-side, Elliott's shot is more technically impressive (well-defended, toeing the line, all that). And certainly, I don't deny its importance to the franchise in motivating the Spurs toward their title. But ultimately, losing that one game would not have significantly changed history that year. They lose their sweep of Portland, but still win the series comfortably in five or six, and move on to beat the Knicks, just as they did.

The margin of error for the Detroit series was infinitesimal. The stage was twice as bright, and the opponent a fearsome matchup. Horry's shot had not just a game riding on it (like Elliott's shot), not just a series, but a championship trophy. Horry got his open look and delivered the championship.

Elliott misses his shot, the spurs lose the game. Horry misses his shot, the spurs lose the trophy.

DMC
03-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Sean's form is a lot like Neal's.