PDA

View Full Version : Postnatal Birth Control

GSH
03-03-2012, 01:51 PM
The problem with birth control, even free birth control, is that it's so damned hard to remember to take the pills. We all know that accidents happen, and it's not fair for anyone to have to live with the consequences of an honest mistake. Well, now there's hope:

In a follow-up to his recent edict requiring all insurance plans to provide free birth control, President Obama declared today that insurance coverage must also include postnatal birth control. "It's a woman's health issue," he said in a brief press conference. He cited a recent conversation with a new mother in Baltimore, who told him "The little bastard cries all night, and I am just exhausted." He went on to say that there will be a time for public comments and objections, which ended last month.

(Okay, I made that part up. But is it really any more absurd than the real story below? If you think this story was taken out of context, or is simply hypothetical, think again. It's deadly serious. Read the whole thing at the link below. And while you're at it, pay attention to the people involved, and what they do for a living.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9113394/Killing-babies-no-different-from-abortion-experts-say.html
Killing babies no different from abortion, experts say

Parents should be allowed to have their newborn babies killed because they are “morally irrelevant” and ending their lives is no different to abortion, a group of medical ethicists linked to Oxford University has argued.

The article, published in the Journal of Medical Ethics, says newborn babies are not “actual persons” and do not have a “moral right to life”. The academics also argue that parents should be able to have their baby killed if it turns out to be disabled when it is born.

The journal’s editor, Prof Julian Savulescu, director of the Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, said the article's authors had received death threats since publishing the article. He said those who made abusive and threatening posts about the study were “fanatics opposed to the very values of a liberal society”.

The article, entitled “After-birth abortion: Why should the baby live?”, was written by two of Prof Savulescu’s former associates, Alberto Giubilini and Francesca Minerva.

They argued: “The moral status of an infant is equivalent to that of a fetus in the sense that both lack those properties that justify the attribution of a right to life to an individual.”

Rather than being “actual persons”, newborns were “potential persons”. They explained: “Both a fetus and a newborn certainly are human beings and potential persons, but neither is a ‘person’ in the sense of ‘subject of a moral right to life’.
----------

Read the rest of the article at the link, above. You have to admire the logic, huh? What do you think - should it be extended to their 18th birthday? Come to think of it, I know some people in their 30's and 40's who I don't think have a "moral right to life". I wonder if I could get a note from their mothers?

Wild Cobra Kai
03-03-2012, 02:57 PM
tbh, the GOP agenda is killing poor kids slowly from birth until they fuck up and commit a capital crime and then it's fast lane time. What was printed above is horrible, but so is loving a child only until it comes out of the birth canal.

Spurminator
03-03-2012, 03:07 PM
It's a stupid article, but I'm not sure it's for the reason you are thinking.

They're not claiming that killing newborns is morally justifiable, imo. They're saying it's no different than abortion, so logic follows that where abortion is legal, infanticide should be as well.

Of course, the difference they seem to be forgetting is that a newborn can survive by means other than its birth mother.

While accepting that many people would disagree with their arguments, he wrote: “The goal of the Journal of Medical Ethics is not to present the Truth or promote some one moral view. It is to present well reasoned argument based on widely accepted premises.”

boutons_deux
03-03-2012, 03:10 PM
GOP is extremely selective in the human lives, and quality of human lives, it cares about.

Warlord23
03-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Approaching this issue like an outrage-manufacturing Fox News anchor does little justice to the topic at hand. The abortion and personhood debate is a fairly complex problem in moral philosophy that includes extensive arguments from both sides. This article represents a few people's opinions; unfortunately the way this story is presented is sure to get conservatives like you outraged and revved up about the larger issue.

boutons_deux
03-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Here's a few 100K lives TX Repugs target aggressively, no matter what the human costs.

REPUGANT assholes, every one of them, at very least by association, but nearly 100% of them vote in lockstep with the Repug dictates.