PDA

View Full Version : Turning the Spurs into a Dynasty Again!

biba
03-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Just for FUN. It's from Bleacherreport.com

Turning the San Antonio Spurs into a Dynasty Again with Dwight Howard or $48 Mil
By Trevor Jefferson (Contributor) on March 2, 2012

The San Antonio Spurs are done, Texas Toast, done!

Please allow me to preface this article by saying that I despise the San Antonio Spurs. As a Lakers fan (due to the signing of Shaquille O’Neal and drafting of Kobe Bryant, my two favorite players of all time) since the summer of 1996, I can do no other.

However, I also consider myself to be an armchair General Manager. And I take as much joy in concocting trade proposals and figuring out ways to rebuild and strengthen each and every NBA franchise as most fans do in watching their favorite team stomp their rivals to dust in a playoff game; strange but true. I have had a gift for numbers since childhood and could almost instantaneously memorize the stats of every player on an NBA team at a very young age. Today I have committed the salary of every player on entire team rosters to memory … for fun. Yes, I'm a 6'3", 250lb, Che Guevara look-a-like "numbers geek".

I also have no qualms admitting that the San Antonio Spurs have been one of the most magnificently managed teams in professional sports over the past two decades, that they are a team worthy of respect and admiration … and that they are team on the decline who’s future is anything but clear, let alone bright.

All of the above said, this article is dedicated to proposing just one simple 4-step plan that could return the Spurs to their former glory, close out Tim Duncan’s career with another title or three and give the Spurs fan-base a future to be excited about.

Here are the four steps to the "San Antonio Spurs Dynasty Plan":

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1087117-rebuilding-the-san-antonio-spurs-into-a-dynasty-again-with-dwight-howard#/articles/1087117-rebuilding-the-san-antonio-spurs-into-a-dynasty-again-with-dwight-howard

Cane
03-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I do love the idea of having fun with the thought of a Duncan/Dwight dynasty but its a bleacherreport.com article written by a Laker fan thats a Spurs hater

But hell yes I would trade the rest of the big 3 to get a Duncan/Dwight duo and amnesty RJ to attract other FA's....

Leetonidas
03-04-2012, 12:19 PM
PG: Raymond Felton /Jameer Nelson / Corey Joseph

SG: Eric Gordon / Gary Neal / James Anderson

SF: Wilson Chandler / Kawhi Leonard / Danny Green

PF: Tim Duncan / Dejuan Blair

C: Brook Lopez / Marcus Camby

:vomit:

mercos
03-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Article jumped the shark by including Matt Bonner in the Dwight Howard trade.

Robz4000
03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
lol I can't believe they let blind homers write articles on there, and the guy's responses to the comments are unprofessional at best.

maverick1948
03-04-2012, 05:55 PM
lol I can't believe they let blind homers write articles on there, and the guy's responses to the comments are unprofessional at best.

What do you expect from an nutcase Laker fan? What he says for the Spurs to do will never happen.

dunkman
03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
It would make some sense only if Howard gets resigned, but the Spurs are giving too much. Parker, Manu, Splitter, Bonner, draft picks and cash - that's ridiculous.

therealtruth
03-04-2012, 07:28 PM
It would make some sense only if Howard gets resigned, but the Spurs are giving too much. Parker, Manu, Splitter, Bonner, draft picks and cash - that's ridiculous.

Winning a championship is so elusive. I say if you get a way to win that requires you to mortgage your future you do it.

spursfaninla
03-04-2012, 07:59 PM
To win, you need scoring from the wing. Spurs in this configuration would not have that.

This team as constructed would not get anywhere. Howard would never stay. Duncan is not enough either to justify this "twin towers" idea, nor to keep him. Just a bad, bad idea.

Spursfan092120
03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I stopped after this...

Spurs Trade: Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Tiago Splitter, Matt Bonner, Picks and Cash

Magic Trades: Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson and Von Wafer

dunkman
03-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Winning a championship is so elusive. I say if you get a way to win that requires you to mortgage your future you do it.

Howard is only 6 months under contract. He would have to agree to an extension. The Spurs could have cap space to offer him a max contract the next season. While he would get less money, with Parker, Manu and Splitter on the roster, Howard would have a better chances to win championships.

To win, you need scoring from the wing. Spurs in this configuration would not have that.

This team as constructed would not get anywhere. Howard would never stay. Duncan is not enough either to justify this "twin towers" idea, nor to keep him. Just a bad, bad idea.

Duncan is past his prime, in the trade scenario, the Spurs would have to add at least one all-star player in the backcourt to balance the offense. Since the days of DA, the Spurs offense require players capable of driving. With the rules changes that's even more important.

It would take the Spurs various seasons to get the backcourt fixed, by that time Duncan would be retired.

TampaDude
03-05-2012, 12:55 AM
Cocaine is a helluva drug...

DMC
03-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Howard wouldn't come to SA for 30 million a year.

It doesn't matter what our salary cap is. All space will allow us to do is acquire overpaid role players and end-of-lifers who want to make the playoffs. There's no rookie Tim Duncans running around out there wanting to come to SA. There's no dominant bigs wanting to come to SA. SA is boring, Howard wants the opposite. He wants to be Kobe, and Kobe is a limelight guy, not a back page "Grandma Smith's Pie Recipe.... and The Spurs won the NBA Championship" existence.

Maybe Dallas, maybe but even then I doubt it for the same reasons, No one gives a shit about Texas basketball teams. It's LA, Chicago, NY, Boston and Miami (Miami just to see Lebron lose). That's why these big names all end up funneled to those few teams. Even then Chicago is just the remnants of MJ fervor.

iManu
03-05-2012, 02:09 AM
PG: Raymond Felton /Jameer Nelson / Corey Joseph

SG: Eric Gordon / Gary Neal / James Anderson

SF: Wilson Chandler / Kawhi Leonard / Danny Green

PF: Tim Duncan / Dejuan Blair

C: Brook Lopez / Marcus Camby

FAIL