PDA

View Full Version : We left Horry wide open!!!! WHY???

DetroitFolly
06-20-2005, 05:15 AM
Nice game, folks. Entertaining as hell, even if I didn't like the result.

Horry is the ONE GUY you MUST not leave alone. Ouch.

Well, we'll see what the Pistons are made of on Tuesday. :fro

This series is a lot more fun than a lot of folks predicted, huh?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-20-2005, 05:22 AM
The spurs shoulda won in regulation, but we made tons of mistakes, and the Pistons probably should have won in OT but they made a few mistakes.

Dan Rather
06-20-2005, 06:27 AM
Who knew Horry would get so hot? at the same time I don't see why Coach larry Brown did not put a body on him, at the same time look how Billups kept going untoched to the basket also.

Clandestino
06-20-2005, 06:42 AM
they got scared of manu driving... they collapsed..

HubieBrownBuysOffMe
06-20-2005, 06:57 AM
You've got to cover Robert Horry in the three point area.

ambchang
06-20-2005, 07:00 AM
It's odd how Larry Brown made two mistakes in that one play. First, you never leave Horry open around the 3pt area, second, you never leave the inbounder (again Horry), and I found this to be very surprising.
I was talking to my housemate how the Spurs should go for 3 and end the game, given that they have made many mental mistakes in the final couple of minutes, and that they are on the road. I am just glad they actually hit that shot.
BTW, my heart had a total workout yesterday.

Wallace ²
06-20-2005, 07:07 AM
I would of rather had Manu drive the ball with everybody staying at home on the 3 Point shooters. At worst, if you dont foul, we are going to another OT. Horrible coaching by LB and a huge mental mistake by Sheed.

Clandestino
06-20-2005, 07:12 AM
brown didn't tell sheed to double team... it was all the players tonight...

Useruser666
06-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I think if you watched Brown's post game comments, you could see he pretty much blamed Sheed for the mistake. something like, "My background, down two, I'm damned if I let my guy take a three. I'm telling them nine seconds, we'll take it to the rim, get fouled, get a chance to offensive rebound. That's how dumb I am."

OUCH!!!

Wallace ²
06-20-2005, 07:47 AM
I wasnt saying Brown told Sheed to double, but that should have been stressed a lot during that last time out.

SPARKY
06-20-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks, 'Sheed.

Useruser666
06-20-2005, 07:52 AM
I wasnt saying Brown told Sheed to double, but that should have been stressed a lot during that last time out.

I think Brown was saying that it was "obvious" not to double away from Horry, and that was Sheed's fault.

boutons
06-20-2005, 07:52 AM
"much blamed Sheed for the mistake."

It was the Sheed trade that got the Pistons over the hump last season to win Title.

Sheed, a lot of talent, but not much of a basketball player.

ObiwanGinobili
06-20-2005, 07:54 AM
I knew if I put the Robert Horry bobblehead in the closet he'd learn his lesson and step up like a real man.
thankgoodness.
And I'm sure he's alot happier now out in the open, on his nice shelf next to Tony.

and your gonna keep playing good now arn't you Robert?... yes... you don't want to go back in that dark lonely closet do you??.... no.. good boy.

IX_Equilibrium
06-20-2005, 07:55 AM
Who knew Horry would get so hot?

Anyone who has a clue as to who he is.

SWC Bonfire
06-20-2005, 08:40 AM
It was the Sheed trade that got the Pistons over the hump last season to win Title.

Sheed, a lot of talent, but not much of a basketball player.

If the pistons didn't have Rasheed Wallace, they would be behind Indy in the eastern conference. He was the Championship-caliber player they needed to get over the top. But he hurts his team with his mental breakdowns.

Robert Horry sold his soul long ago. It's refreshing that we're on the winning end of it now...:lol

SPARKY
06-20-2005, 08:42 AM
That was shocking because it is so basic. Teams invariably have a shooter inbound the ball when they need a score during crunch time with the hope that either the opponent leaves him or that the inbounder can drift beyond the arc and get a good look a little later on. 'Sheed's mistake was so freaking basic it's sad.

danyel
06-20-2005, 08:48 AM
I know why.

Why did the Pistons leave Horry wide open?
To make him a legend...

LilMissSPURfect
06-20-2005, 09:58 AM
It happens!

ALVAREZ6
06-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Even if he was covered, he still would have knocked down that 3.

Horry drilled a 3 right in guaranSHEED's face earlier in that game.

MadDog73
06-20-2005, 10:01 AM
This series is a lot more fun than a lot of folks predicted, huh?

Meh, this was the first really good game of the series.

Game 1 and 2 were embarassing to the Pistons.

Games 3 & 4 were embarassing to the Spurs.

That said, I'm hoping the Spurs blowout the Pistons in Game 6. :king

Sense
06-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Even if he was covered, he still would have knocked down that 3.

Horry drilled a 3 right in guaranSHEED's face earlier in that game.

I Agree.

CosmicCowboy
06-20-2005, 10:03 AM
I knew if I put the Robert Horry bobblehead in the closet he'd learn his lesson and step up like a real man.
thankgoodness.
And I'm sure he's alot happier now out in the open, on his nice shelf next to Tony.

and your gonna keep playing good now arn't you Robert?... yes... you don't want to go back in that dark lonely closet do you??.... no.. good boy.

:lmao

Classic

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Rasheed left him open because David Stern and ABC instructed him do during the timeout. They needed to add some drama to the game and the series. Don't you people realize that they script these things!!! What do you think that all the screenwriters that were put out of work by the influx of reality TV turned to to keep working? The NBA. It's so damn obvious. I just wish Woodward and Bernstein weren't just resting on their sorry ass laurels and would bother to break this story.

baseline bum
06-20-2005, 10:32 AM
We left Rob open in 2003, and that play still haunts me because that shot was 80% down before popping out. You can ask anyone here.... I was mad as fuck at Duncan for leaving him and running to the basket for the rebound instead. It was eerily reminiscient of when Rodman pulled the same crap in game 1 of the 1995 Finals, and Horry buries the wide-open 19 footer to take the game. I can't tell you how lucky we were that the one time Big Shot Rob missed the big shot was against the Spurs, but I'm still mad as hell we gave that shot up 2 years ago. I was so shocked when it didn't fall.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Well the big difference between Duncan and Rodman was that Horry had been kind of quiet against the Spurs. Still not a good idea to leave him open but I don't think there was a good play for Tim to make in that situation. Rodman on the other hand got burned all damn series and still didn't bother to cover him.

DDS4
06-20-2005, 10:47 AM
What's funny is that's the same spot Horry missed at SBC in game 5 of the 2003 WCF when he was a Laker.

Everybody said he was all but washed up after that game.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Pop got asked about that in post game PC, why the Spurs were willing to pick him up after a lot of folks pointed to that particular moment and said he was done. Pop explained that he knew Bob hit more of those shots than he ever missed and that the Lakers had just played him too much during the season and he didn't have anythning left in the tank.

boutons
06-20-2005, 10:51 AM
"Everybody said he was all but washed up after that game."

He shot something like 10% in 3Gs in the 2003 playoffs. About 3 for 30+, IIRC.

The Lakers let him walk. He came down IH10 and found a new home.

td4mvp21
06-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Did anyone notice that the play for the GW 3 was nearly identical to the one the Lakers ran two years ago in game 5? Our's was shorter, but to compare:
Kobe was in the corner and TD came to double and Horry was in the EXACT SAME SPOT as last night for the open three, except it rimmed out. Last night, Ginobili was in the corner and Rasheed came to double and Horry was in the same spot as two years ago, wide open, and this time it rimmed it. Very weird.

Gatita
06-20-2005, 11:10 AM
thankgoodness.

I hope the pregnancy hasn't driven you mad. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Dude, players must be retarded to leave the man open.

Rasheed is a perennial winner, lol

whottt
06-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Word base...

And that was the best shot Horry took in that series...it went in the basket and it was just plain luck that it bounced back out...

I think it was destiny...

Drob was destined to go out a champion and the Lakers were not worthy of being a dynasty with a couple of colossal assholes like Phil and Shaq on their roster.

Maybe on some subconcious level Horry wanted out...

Then again, maybe it was that he hurt his hand near the end of the regular season.

The thing is, Horry is always open in those situations...he just always happens to be standing in the right spot to get a pass and to get a good shot...the guy is a smart player...he basically broke the play to take that shot.

It's kinda like Shaq and Kobe jokingly ripped him for the Sacremento shot...

I think they said something like...what the hell was he doing standing out at the 3 point line when we needed his ass in the paint to get the offensive rebound?

DetroitFolly
06-20-2005, 06:53 PM
Dude, players must be retarded to leave the man open.

Rasheed is a perennial winner, lol

He made a mistake. And, he has more belts now than a lot of players in this league. How many for McGrady? Karl Malone? Charles Barkley? I could go on...

MajicMan
06-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Who knew Horry would get so hot? at the same time I don't see why Coach larry Brown did not put a body on him, at the same time look how Billups kept going untoched to the basket also.

Don't even blame this on Brown. Obviously you didn't see the time out replay. Brown said "NO THREES". Don't make him the scapegoat. Funny how people start pointing fingers when they lose. You win as a team and lose as a team. If you really want to start pointing fingers, start pointing at Rip and Tayshaun for playing so poorly in the series.

guaransheed
06-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Don't even blame this on Brown. Obviously you didn't see the time out replay. Brown said "NO THREES". Don't make him the scapegoat. Funny how people start pointing fingers when they lose. You win as a team and lose as a team. If you really want to start pointing fingers, start pointing at Rip and Tayshaun for playing so poorly in the series.
yea cause sheed has been spectacular, He has shown he can do whatever he wants versus the Spurs, yet he is content on taking a backseat. That ticks us off as much as anything, hopefully his costly mistake may get him to do it.

boutons
06-20-2005, 07:37 PM
"he is content on taking a backseat"

BS. He's talented, long mofo wasting his career as a moody, lazy, irresponsible bastard. He can shoot, rebound, defend, block shots. If he'd only put in the effort to match his talents, and shoulder some responsibility for 48 minutes every game, he'd be a HoFer.

SenorSpur
06-20-2005, 07:49 PM
With that shot Horry should never see another open three for the rest of his career - but you know he will :)

bdubya
06-20-2005, 07:58 PM
He made a mistake. And, he has more belts now than a lot of players in this league. How many for McGrady? Karl Malone? Charles Barkley? I could go on...

IIRC, he's got more belts than Jordan, Shaq, Bird, Magic....rings is a different story, but there's maybe a dozen players who have as many belts as Sheed.

Yeah, he made a mistake, but he wasn't the only one. I'm expecting them all to LEARN from them, and make history this week.

GrandeDavid
06-20-2005, 08:00 PM
We left Rob open in 2003, and that play still haunts me because that shot was 80% down before popping out. You can ask anyone here.... I was mad as fuck at Duncan for leaving him and running to the basket for the rebound instead. It was eerily reminiscient of when Rodman pulled the same crap in game 1 of the 1995 Finals, and Horry buries the wide-open 19 footer to take the game. I can't tell you how lucky we were that the one time Big Shot Rob missed the big shot was against the Spurs, but I'm still mad as hell we gave that shot up 2 years ago. I was so shocked when it didn't fall.

Baseline, I attended that game and remember how emotionally draining it was. I share your exact sentiments on how haunting that shot was. Many Spurs fans, myself included, left the Center fatigued and kind of stunned. I wasn't exhilirated, that's for sure. But I was tremendously relieved.